[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

7 hours ago, parksooha said:

Anyway I just watch Eps 41 from fan sub. When DS broke up with SC, I find it more sad rather than in manga version or any version. Because in manga or korean or japan version, DS give a hateful words to SC so she can hates and leave DS. But in this version, DS just plainly 'give up' on SC, the thing that DS never did before. The thing that more affected SC to leave him.

I 100% agree with you. In all other versions, the sadness is masked by DS's hateful words. That is instead of feeling sad I hated him for saying such cruel things to her. This DS actually did explain why he chose to break up their relationship but he just put up a brave front that he is not affected by it all. And I was actually trying to wrap my head around on why he chose to give up that easily, while I can kinda understand his reasons, I actually really got mad when he said they should be together in the next lifetime. Are you kidding me, Si??? You are not the type of person who would wait for another lifetime to be together with your love of the life. That's not you. Fight for it IN THIS LIFETIME. Before the bus chase, when Lei asked if his love brings problems to her, how can she be happy with you or something like that and he tells her that he will keep her happy no matter what. Guess baby boy realized its not that easy and he let her go. While SC has every right to be mad at him that she can pull him by his collar and ask why did he chase her like that a d made her fall in love with him if he is going to give up like this in the middle. Well Lei did that job for her, lol, and seriously I think SC has always known that their relationship won't last long because i remember in one of the scenes during when he stayed next door, she said something like they won't have a happy ending. Also after knowing how much it kills him inside to leave her like that, she can't possibly bring herself to hate him. The truth is she can never bring herself to hate him. All she can do is to create as much memories possible while he is still within her reach so that she can cherish them for life. Sighhh. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bunch of you say he gave up on SC and I see that perspective. But, I took that scene a little differently. I viewed it as he literally was given no choice because of time. His relationship with SC taught him to grow up and actually care about other people. And, his mother said she was thinking of their thousands of employees with no time for another solution. I found it less about giving up on SC and more about realizing he had a greater responsibility that he couldn't just turn away from - all those people who depend on their family for their livelihoods. Now of course his mother should have had a better solution than a forced marriage in 2018. But, when you look at it that way, it feels less like he just gave up on their relationship and in to the will of his crazy mother and is more forgivable. 

2 hours ago, Table122000 said:

You bring up an interesting point. I think I would have to say...both. I've seen Taiwan (MG2001), Korea, and Japan versions of this story, and I've also watched the anime version.  The DS character is very layered and complex, and he has the greatest growth journey I think. The character is compelling, and we as the audience/viewer get invested in his story and character journey. The anime is pretty flat and we just hear the voice acting there which was serviceable. However, I was still interested in DS character the most when watching the anime, so that's why I feel that the character of DS is really a compelling character.

That being said, I also feel that the actor portraying DS brings a lot to the role for each version. For me the standout portrayals of this character of Daoming Si in past versions are Lee Min Ho and Matsumoto Jun. Frankly, Lee Min Ho is the best thing about  the Korea version, and he owned the character of Gu Jun Pyo. That role made him a star, and deservedly so. You really can't take your eyes off him.  In Japan version, Matsumoto Jun also really embodies the character of Tsukasha. He brings a lot to the role and when he is on screen, your focus is on him. 

The character of DS is written a bit differently for this version, he is softer and smarter than in the past. And Dylan Wang has totally nailed him!  He is doing a phenomenal job of bringing this character to life. His physical acting skills, with all those expressions, and just the way he inhabits the character are spot on. He has a lot of onscreen charisma too. He's easily the standout for this production, and is giving a star making performance here. I have to say, I think his portrayal may be my favorite of all the versions of DS character.

I do think that there is something compelling about the character of DS as this character has been a "starmaking" role for almost every actor that has played him. 

@Table122000 love your thoughts on the actors who have played DS and I totally agree with you on all accounts. Like you said, DS is one of those layered characters and it’s quite the job to play him. Not only must the actor look the part but also be able to show all the different sides of his personality while at the same time having a certain sex appeal. I’m actually really surprised at how well this MG has been casted. 

Lee Minho for sure made the Korean version. I don’t think i would have liked it so much if he hadn’t been in it. Of all the roles he has ever played, playing Gu Jun Pyo was the best for me. 

Personally, this version of MG has the best version of F4 I think. I like the way they really show the close friendship between the 4 guys and how they truly care for and support each other. 

10 hours ago, kokodus said:

This is one of my fav FMV. I usually like the OST music videos more, but MG fandom has reached another level in doing FMVs, it's soooo great. 

@kokodus thanks for sharing! I love it! The song is perfect for them!

For those interested:

Netflix has released 2 episodes today! And there’s about 10 minutes footage that has not been shown yet due to the differing length for China aired episodes and Netflix episodes! :wub:

Here’s hoping for lots of cute moments for next week’s episodes! 

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

Hoping against hope that Netflix will release 2 eps today...

@kokodus the NF gods have heard you and they released 2 episodes today!!! :thumbsup:

Just now, 7psyche7 said:

Netflix has released 2 episodes today! And there’s about 10 minutes footage that has not been shown yet due to the differing length for China aired episodes and Netflix episodes! :wub:

Here’s hoping for lots of cute moments for next week’s episodes! 

@7psyche7 looks like you and I checked NF at the same time! LOL eager much?!

3 hours ago, rimjayc said:

Idk if the full video of f4 for ELLE magasine has been posted already ?

but its a total eye candy 

they all look flawless in their own way 

and im here to share 

can you spot the two puppies ?!

yes its didi and the actual dog xD

Omg! Thanks for sharing! Conner Leung looks so sweet here. And Dylan Wang... 

*sighs* 

@mouse007 @7psyche7 I'm forgiving NF for making me wait before, I soooooooo love them for uploading 2 eps today. 

I'm in the middle of watching 42 and I just came here to say one thing.......can we all appreciate how much of a protective and caring and reliable boyfriend he is.....he opened her Yakult bottle!!!!!! Hahahahaha. I melted. Omg why are you so good, Si??? Sighhhh. I wish the island arc lasts long....

Hoping against hope that Netflix will release 2 eps today...

I think that they did! I just checked in Netflix and they have up to Ep. 43 posted. I'm on my way to the airport now- going to try to start catching up on  this week's episodes on the plane! 

half way 41 ! can we all enjoi this switch from clingy si alone to sanshai too ??? 

she keep hugging him and asking him to be around at all time 

( we can mostly blame it on her being  scared 

i mean to be in nature and hearing all of those weird noises ! Alone !

but coming from sc its just so cute 

we can see how mush he likes it ! he lives for this girl ffs TT <3 )

tumblr_pdwvcjfH3f1spjzoyo1_540.jpg

also can everybody just let my boy daomin si LOSE HIS VCARD FOR ONCE ! please guys ! omg xD 

(the mood was there ! both cuddling and he told her he loved her even ! that was a "wo ai ni" for GOOD)

tumblr_pdwh2hjayg1xzctfeo3_540.gif

note: rip ximen ... i laughed too hard xD 

Spoiler

tumblr_pdwemuBSaP1xzctfeo3_540.giftumblr_pdwemuBSaP1xzctfeo1_540.giftumblr_pdwemuBSaP1xzctfeo2_540.gif

lowkey i wish the island arc was longer ! its sush a fun , heartwhelming plot part ( silly tho , but cute )

and both of them alone facing their feelings again! realising that they dont need mush but their presence to be happy ...

Is this a new picture? 

9289464a50aaf051d464b9ca365ef17c.jpg

Anyway, I’ve never seen it before (and I look at a lot of pictures of the two of them. I guess that’s kind of like my hobby?). They look so happy, and SC’s style looks older. Maybe if the camera pans out there are kids! (Hopeful :rolleyes:)

57 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@mouse007 @7psyche7 I'm forgiving NF for making me wait before, I soooooooo love them for uploading 2 eps today. 

I'm in the middle of watching 42 and I just came here to say one thing.......can we all appreciate how much of a protective and caring and reliable boyfriend he is.....he opened her Yakult bottle!!!!!! Hahahahaha. I melted. Omg why are you so good, Si??? Sighhhh. I wish the island arc lasts long....

@kokodus I couldn’t believe they actually released 2 episodes but I’m so glad they did!! I love love how protective and loving and caring DS is towards SC. Despite having servants do everything for him his whole life, he actually took care of SC at the island. Gaaah! The bed made of twigs and leaves, letting her sleep while he watches over her, fishing for squid so they have something to eat and yes, opening the yakult for her!! I love too that it didn’t seem forced, like he was just so comfortable doing it for her, as if he’s been doing it for years. Love him!!!!

also just finished watching episode 43 and when Lei says he knew he was lying all along and DS thanked him for helping with the perpetrator, DS was like “it’s true love between Lei and I” - I literally died laughing. The bromance is so freakin endearing and cute! 

I actually liked XZ in these 2 episodes. It feels like she’s really helping DS and SC and beginning to develop a friendship with F3 as well. I just wished she blasted Daoming Feng more. Hahaha! 

12 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

Is this a new picture? 

9289464a50aaf051d464b9ca365ef17c.jpg

Anyway, I’ve never seen it before (and I look at a lot of pictures of the two of them. I guess that’s kind of like my hobby?). They look so happy, and SC’s style looks older. Maybe if the camera pans out there are kids! (Hopeful :rolleyes:)

@cantbreathe I’ve never seen it before either. I hope it’s not a BTS pic. It looks like they’re so happy and relaxed. Please please please let it be a postmarriage thing!!! And babies please!!

I have so much to say really. The island arc should've been longer. It is the cutest part. In other versions, the amnesia arc always come when they have broken up and are clueless about how to live without each other. When Makino saw him got hurt and eventually lose all his memories of her, you can't help but feel bad for her. And Tsukasa specifically forgets only her, and the doctor explains that those memories of her must have been very hard on him that his system wants to erase it. It's actually the most heartwrenching arc ever. Here it is placed after Si promised that she will never leave SC again, so I think the gravitas have considerably lowered. But it still worked as playful prank that Si would pull just to get a confession out of her. Typical Si behaviour. LOL. I totally knew that Lei knew Si was only putting up an act. You could clearly see that unlike Ximen and Meizuo, Lei was not that shocked, he was totally calm. It was so cute when Si said that he is his true love. Kekekeke. Shan Cai, who???

@mouse007 I totally loved that little shack/hut kinda thing he made for them to sleep. It looked so beautiful. I would've loved a few more scenes in the island where they didn't have to richard simmons care about the outside world or the Daoming group and just stay snuggled in each other's arms. 

Xiao Zi has redeemed herself by plotting this whole thing, lol, I thought the F3 would have helped her but nah, she did it all on her own. Badass richard simmons!!! 

11 minutes ago, kokodus said:

I have so much to say really. The island arc should've been longer. It is the cutest part. In other versions, the amnesia arc always come when they have broken up and are clueless about how to live without each other. When Makino saw him got hurt and eventually lose all his memories of her, you can't help but feel bad for her. And Tsukasa specifically forgets only her, and the doctor explains that those memories of her must have been very hard on him that his system wants to erase it. It's actually the most heartwrenching arc ever. Here it is placed after Si promised that she will never leave SC again, so I think the gravitas have considerably lowered. But it still worked as playful prank that Si would pull just to get a confession out of her. Typical Si behaviour. LOL. I totally knew that Lei knew Si was only putting up an act. You could clearly see that unlike Ximen and Meizuo, Lei was not that shocked, he was totally calm. It was so cute when Si said that he is his true love. Kekekeke. Shan Cai, who???

@kokodus Right?! LOL and Xiaozi pipes up saying "Idiot, you're holding your true love" :joy:

I forgot to mention how cute when SC was on DS' lap and he was massaging her back while talking to her. AND when he flips her around and kisses her forehead... AAHHHHH! Pure sugar! :heart:

@mouse007 I totally loved that little shack/hut kinda thing he made for them to sleep. It looked so beautiful. I would've loved a few more scenes in the island where they didn't have to richard simmons care about the outside world or the Daoming group and just stay snuggled in each other's arms. 

Xiao Zi has redeemed herself by plotting this whole thing, lol, I thought the F3 would have helped her but nah, she did it all on her own. Badass richard simmons!!! 

@kokodus me too! I would have liked to see them stay on that island longer - to the point where they've almost built a life for themselves there, away from the world. LOL

Yes, Xiao Zi has redeemed herself in these past 2 episodes. Initially I thought too that F3 were involved but as it turns out, they were lured by Xiao Zi and that she arranged for the kidnapping all by herself. I like too that she said it was giving Daoming Feng a taste of her own medicine.

At the end of the island scene when the bodyguards opened their tent, did you think DS and SC were about to do something? Because it certainly seemed like it to me especially since right before it DS asked SC when they could take it further! LOL if so, damn those men for interrupting!! 

@mouse007 I hope so!! I saw on twitter someone noticed that her shirt was unbuttoned at the top when they get interrupted in the tent.. haha. :love:

Whoever was talking about Meizuo's terrible fashion, I totally agree lol. Poor guy. The other 3 are always dressed on point. I love their different styles with Lei's soft layered knits and my absolute fav is DS. He has the BEST wardrobe. Ximen always looks great too. But Meizuo LOL, his long laced sleeves and baggy pants are just awful.

10 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

@kokodus 

At the end of the island scene when the bodyguards opened their tent, did you think DS and SC were about to do something? Because it certainly seemed like it to me especially since right before it DS asked SC when they could take it further! LOL if so, damn those men for interrupting!! 

YES!!!!! I totally think they were in the process of taking their relationship to another level, but these richard simmons bastards interrupted and I was cursing out loud. Lol. Someone always interrupts their sweet time, it's almost a thing in this show now. Right from the elevator scene.... Arghhhhhhhhhh. 

Wondering what Si's secret plan is..?!?!?!? Hmmm could it be that the forced wedding arc between Xiao Zi and Si is not all that forced but is really something planned by Si to get her to accept his marriage proposal??? But Si must know that Shan Cai really wouldn't dare to kill him if he pulls out another act and fools her....LOL

4 minutes ago, feliset said:

@mouse007 I hope so!! I saw on twitter someone noticed that her shirt was unbuttoned at the top when they get interrupted in the tent.. haha. :love:

Whoever was talking about Meizuo's terrible fashion, I totally agree lol. Poor guy. The other 3 are always dressed on point. I love their different styles with Lei's soft layered knits and my absolute fav is DS. He has the BEST wardrobe. Ximen always looks great too. But Meizuo LOL, his long laced sleeves and baggy pants are just awful.

@feliset LOL I feel bad for Meizuo because he certainly got the short end of the stick when it comes to style! It was especially worse during the C and T scenes! I was like, "No wonder Caina was not attracted to you!" kekeke

DS is my favourite too! They dress him so well! Did you guys notice that when he's most eccentrically dressed when he has his pineapple hair? Still looks amazing but I noticed that he is more conservatively dressed when he does not have his pineapple hair. I just love all of his looks! I was going to include all of my fave looks but there's just too many.. LOL

3 minutes ago, kokodus said:

YES!!!!! I totally think they were in the process of taking their relationship to another level, but these richard simmons bastards interrupted and I was cursing out loud. Lol. Someone always interrupts their sweet time, it's almost a thing in this show now. Right from the elevator scene.... Arghhhhhhhhhh. 

Wondering what Si's secret plan is..?!?!?!? Hmmm could it be that the forced wedding arc between Xiao Zi and Si is not all that forced but is really something planned by Si to get her to accept his marriage proposal??? But Si must know that Shan Cai really wouldn't dare to kill him if he pulls out another act and fools her....LOL

@kokodus Hahaha! Me too!  I was like, "Nooooo!!" I would've really liked it if they were able to consummate their love on that island. But I also would really love it if we got a wedding scene and a first night scene. Swwoooonn! 

I was wondering about DS' secret plan too. It must have something to do with that scene where SC is all dressed up in a bridal gown and he's pointing mischievously at her and she ends up throwing a shoe at him? I'm just so excited to see all of next week's episodes! 

It's funny that we all know it will be a happy ending and yet we're all here speculating how the rest of it is going to pan out.

Archived