[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

29 minutes ago, bccem99 said:

I agree that DMS in this version is nicer than in the manga. In the manga, I just don't find myself forgiving him for some of the earlier stuff (e.g. having those guys attack her) but for some reason I can get past the  food in the face and forced kiss scenes in MG 2018 even though I found them very shocking the first time I watched it. It's amazing to me the emotion both leads bring to the screen. I don't understand the original language so I know a lot may be lost in translation, but they frequently move me to tears. And, then I remember he is a 19 yr old kid moving me to tears in his first real acting job. He's either got a great career ahead of him or he is always going to be in the shadow of this role because his DMS has epic romantic hero quality. Part of me would love to see an American version of this story because I love the story. But, part of me doesn't because I feel like they've done such a wonderful job with this cast. Plus the morality is totally different here. The characters would not be so platonic so long. 

Ummm...there's actually an unofficial American version with a dollar store budget called Boys Before Friends. Watch at your own risk.

Oops, seems like it has been removed

You can still watch the trailer though - https://www.viki.com/videos/1026882v-trailer?locale=en

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rocky689 said:

Ummm...there's actually an unofficial American version with a dollar store budget called Boys Before Friends. Watch at your own risk.

You can still watch the trailer though - https://www.viki.com/videos/1026882v-trailer?locale=en

I just watched the trailer and instantly regretted it. So so wrong... LOL

Haha, so yeah that was pretty awful. This is what I mean. Even in that trailer they are already talking about lap dances. 

Does anyone know what's next filming-wise for the main actors?  IMDB is not revealing much...

No one ever should come close or know about that US budget version of hana yori dango ! 

its the dark secret we are all ashamed of the fandom xD just NO

-also here is ur weeklyscute MV work on yb 

im so thankful to all the talented editers for the past weeks since the drama started !-

I also knew when I saw the posters that Dylan would be Tsukasa. Every cell in his body was screaming that he is your typical bad boy arrogant jerk Domoyouji Tsukasa. He definitely has that aura. Also let me be a little shallow here, I thought he was the most good looking among the four. LOL. Sadly I thought Ximen would be Lei and vice versa. Dunno thought CW had that Tsundere vibe while i remember Darren looking more playful. 

As for whether it's Dylan's portrayal that makes Si more likable, i would definitely say yes! But I have fallen for Tsukasa in every other version as well, no SLS for me, it's hard to dislike a character that undergoes massive growth throughout the course of the show because of love. @mouse007 I'm surprised that you didn't like Matsu jun's portrayal of Tsukasa, well it was not a love at first sight for me as well, but I came to gradually love him by the end of season 1 and it was full on obsession by second season. LOL. I loved him to bits. I think unless portrayed by a really bad actor this character is hard to mess up with. Every actor who played this role had their own take on how Tsuakasa would be and I have loved all of them. 

1 hour ago, bccem99 said:

I agree that DMS in this version is nicer than in the manga. In the manga, I just don't find myself forgiving him for some of the earlier stuff (e.g. having those guys attack her) but for some reason I can get past the  food in the face and forced kiss scenes in MG 2018 even though I found them very shocking the first time I watched it. It's amazing to me the emotion both leads bring to the screen. I don't understand the original language so I know a lot may be lost in translation, but they frequently move me to tears. And, then I remember he is a 19 yr old kid moving me to tears in his first real acting job. He's either got a great career ahead of him or he is always going to be in the shadow of this role because his DMS has epic romantic hero quality. Part of me would love to see an American version of this story because I love the story. But, part of me doesn't because I feel like they've done such a wonderful job with this cast. Plus the morality is totally different here. The characters would not be so platonic so long. 

@bccem99 this really is the best version of DS. I really liked that he’s also a top student in this one and takes his studies seriously. In one of the episodes Ximen and Meizuo asked him where he’d been and that they thought he might have skipped classes that day and he responded by saying he’d never skip classes. I also like that although he is wealthy, he also makes his own money by trading. When he lent SC money, he told her that money is his and he earned it. I think that although DS can be immature and childish at times, he’s actually pretty responsible. 

On that note, I was actually disappointed that he just sorta gave up when his mom told him that Daoming Group was in trouble. I thought he should’ve tried to look for other solutions instead of giving up on SC. 

BUT then I thought about it some more and I think it’s also kinda nice that in this version, we see a vulnerable DS who isn’t always so confident and sometimes needs a little push from the people around him (Ms. Yue, XZ, Lei) so he can figure out how to best handle a situation. It kinda makes him more human and more relatable even though he’s the very handsome, very rich and very smart DS. I really liked it too when he said he didn’t think it was so great being DS. This way we see him evolve and be the kind of man he needs to be for both SC and Daoming Group. I think this is also the reason the London Arc and island arc are important in this version, it forces DS to grow up into a man. Now he’s more determined to fight for SC and to keep persevering - never giving up SC or Daoming Group. 

Love this FMV! Really showcases all the cute moments they had together. Thanks for sharing @kokodus!

I think Dylan did a really good job with the character and casting him was spot on. His pineapple hair was the least ridiculous out of the different adaptations. Boys over flowers was the worst. The hair was so weird! I really like Dylan’s awkward smile as DMS here too. It’s so adorkable. 

I’ve always believed that DMS and SC are meant to be together in all the different versions... but I’ve usually felt sadder for Lei. Maybe as this version is emphasising more on Lei’s love for not just SC but also DMS that I don’t feel as sad for Lei and see it less as unrequited love. 

OMG that US version of HYD :crazy:

The biggest mistake in my life to watch the trailer

Anyway I just watch Eps 41 from fan sub. When DS broke up with SC, I find it more sad rather than in manga version or any version. Because in manga or korean or japan version, DS give a hateful words to SC so she can hates and leave DS. But in this version, DS just plainly 'give up' on SC, the thing that DS never did before. The thing that more affected SC to leave him.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:56 PM, 7psyche7 said:
  Hide contents

Yes to no amnesia arc!! I think DMS mother is going to still insist on the wedding to XZ. I’m guessing the remaining episodes and angst will probably focus on this. 

@elle_cha I also think the forehead kiss was really sweet! I can’t really translate everything but essentially SC was scared he really forgot her and that DMS said he would never forget her. 

I’m sure subs of that scene will be out really soon!

Spoiler

Just saw the eng sub for that scene :D. Yeah I also think that we will see the forced wedding scene.

Apparently some manga fans are dissapointed because of no amnesia arc in this version. They said it's an important part for the story because that's when DMF will change her thought about Ah Si's relationship with Shancai. Well I don't read the manga but I can understand them since all previous adaptation have the amnesia part. But I really appreciate Angie and the MG2018 team for changing the story and give us the unexpected twist about this. MG2002 was too painful for me to watch because of that very long amnesia thing. Keep seeing Shancai cry because she can't find Ah Si and when she find him, he really can't remember her and fall in love to another girl instead. Their last break-up was really sad, until now I even wanna cry everytime I hear Broken Vow. Someone said in twitter that this might be Angie's way to apologize to MG fans for what she did to Ah Si and Shancai in MG2002 and that's what I thought after find out about the amnesia part. 

Does anyone know what is Didi's next drama project? Really looking forward to see him playing a different character :D

I just finished watching episodes 40 and 41 and... onions! Onions everywhere!!! :tears:

I got so hurt:

- for Lei when SC said DS is the one always protecting her so she must follow him to London this time around. Did you see the way Lei looked at her? What is he, chopped liver?? :tears: He's protected you from the very start, SC! :( ouch for my Lei!

- for SC when DS brushed her off just like that. She traveled all the way to London, lost her phone and the bracelet you gave her. And you tell her those things, DS?? OUCH!

- for DS when he had to say those terrible things to SC because his witch of a mother is right inside his room, hiding in plain sight from SC!

- for DS again when he was lying in bed, still in disbelief he told SC to go away.

- for Lei again when he got left behind in the cab. This beautiful, selfless boy... it's ok *pat, pat* I wish we can write the most perfect girl for him and give him the happy ending he deserves for being the BEST best friend of DS and protector/admirer of SC.

- that %!##&*^$&*#@ hotpot scene. NOT MUCH TO BE SAID but omg this was soooo painful!!! DS's eyes were already red and they haven't even started eating!

The only reason why I'm not a total wreck right now is because of the SC and Lei scenes. How protective was he? Call me when you arrive, when you check in, when you see Ah Si, do you have your passport, you wallet etc etc :lol: so cute! Then flew all the way to London to look for her. My heart...

I feel like that's how their first date should have been too! Ice cream, rose, dinner, performing in front of her. I was so touched when he used his earned money to buy a rose for SC. And I laughed so much when Thomas figured out it was Lei SC mistook him for when she got drunk and then asking SC if she'll date Lei if not for DS. Then, Lei asking her the same thing plus the 2 boys chiming in. Poor SC for being put on the hot seat :lol:

What a rollercoaster ride, these 2 episodes were! I'm all :bawling: and :love: at the same time!

edit: and because I'm a masochist, I'm playing Rang Wo Ai Ni (Vic and Barbie's song) in the background. Yes, it's from a different drama, but it's still Lei and SC!

5 hours ago, rocky689 said:

I saw the pic of the cast and HELL NOPEd my way out! I need to wash my eyes now, thanks!

So I just watched NF 40-41 too.. my eyes are so swollen! Even with all the spoilers, I am a total mess. I will need some time to process this. I thought the necklace throw breakup was bad.. but this!!! Omg!!! Kudos to the writers, they’ve really really done such a wonderful job with this adaptation. 

1 hour ago, parksooha said:

OMG that US version of HYD :crazy:

The biggest mistake in my life to watch the trailer

Anyway I just watch Eps 41 from fan sub. When DS broke up with SC, I find it more sad rather than in manga version or any version. Because in manga or korean or japan version, DS give a hateful words to SC so she can hates and leave DS. But in this version, DS just plainly 'give up' on SC, the thing that DS never did before. The thing that more affected SC to leave him.

I feel the same. The giving up is just so devastating. Somehow it makes it more realistic though and wayyyyyy sadder. With the original, I feel like there was always a clear cut reason or misunderstanding behind all the heartbreaking moments. It made these moments less threatening. Right now I’m comforted by the fact that I KNOW they end up together because we already know the story. But if I was watching this without knowing anything at all, it would destroy me. I think I wouldn’t be able to get on with work and life until the next eps come out haha... 

Now that I’m stuck patiently waiting for the next few episodes, I have lots of time to process the series. As in, every waking minute of every single day.

Can I ask that we please take a minute to look again at those ugly richard simmons jackets that they forced Mei Zuo to wear? 

8d3095de733a3c2d507b8b133ad1229b.jpg

e988b3e265f4ffbb917a71cb3204c011.jpg

08f8f160881e3602d8317cbc3754c25b.jpg

I mean, seriously think about Dylan Wang’s wardrobe in Meteor Garden.

And then take a look at this jacket again. Ahahaha 

11 hours ago, bccem99 said:

Random question...The 2018 version is the first version I've watched but now I'm 1/2 through the manga and the original series. Curious if people think it is the character of DMS that is so compelling or Dylan, in particular, as DMS? When I first found the show suggested in Netflix and knowing nothing about it, I really thought this was a story about SC. And, it is to an extent, but I really think a lot of it is DMS's story. He is the more compelling character and to me he show's the most personal growth. But, I don't feel the same about the character when I read the manga or watch the original. Anyone else?

Also, totally unrelated, but do Chinese dramas ever have another season? Is this truly the end or could international popularity cause them to continue the story like popular dramas in the US?

You bring up an interesting point. I think I would have to say...both. I've seen Taiwan (MG2001), Korea, and Japan versions of this story, and I've also watched the anime version.  The DS character is very layered and complex, and he has the greatest growth journey I think. The character is compelling, and we as the audience/viewer get invested in his story and character journey. The anime is pretty flat and we just hear the voice acting there which was serviceable. However, I was still interested in DS character the most when watching the anime, so that's why I feel that the character of DS is really a compelling character.

That being said, I also feel that the actor portraying DS brings a lot to the role for each version. For me the standout portrayals of this character of Daoming Si in past versions are Lee Min Ho and Matsumoto Jun. Frankly, Lee Min Ho is the best thing about  the Korea version, and he owned the character of Gu Jun Pyo. That role made him a star, and deservedly so. You really can't take your eyes off him.  In Japan version, Matsumoto Jun also really embodies the character of Tsukasha. He brings a lot to the role and when he is on screen, your focus is on him. 

The character of DS is written a bit differently for this version, he is softer and smarter than in the past. And Dylan Wang has totally nailed him!  He is doing a phenomenal job of bringing this character to life. His physical acting skills, with all those expressions, and just the way he inhabits the character are spot on. He has a lot of onscreen charisma too. He's easily the standout for this production, and is giving a star making performance here. I have to say, I think his portrayal may be my favorite of all the versions of DS character.

I do think that there is something compelling about the character of DS as this character has been a "starmaking" role for almost every actor that has played him. 

10 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

I just want to ask after days of reading about DMS and SC. Are there any Xiaoyu and Ximen scenes at all? After they went up to the rooftop? I read so many spoilers here there is no incentive/ rush to watch anything. I am just going to wait till next week and go to the end.

This whole slow NF release vs thd raw episodes schedule is so irritating. It is like the Legend of Fuyao. I don't see how anyone can watch any Cdrama and avoid spoilers. Luckily the conversation here is much simpler than Fuyao so I can watch the raw episodes. But the quality is so low. And the male lead needs to be watched on HD.

Yes. There are a few more Ximen/Xiaoyu scenes after the rooftop, but I think their story will be wrapped up next week. 

7 hours ago, bccem99 said:

Regarding the "guys attacking" scene early in the drama: I don't think DS sent those 2 people. I believe they just happened by at that time, and Lei was able to save SC. For me, it was poor writing when all of a sudden SC was blaming DS for meeting those 2 strangers. It really didn't make any sense to me. I understood that this was how the writers were handling the attempted gang rape scene due to the China rules, but I think they could have just left it that SC was accosted by 2 men on the street. 

Part of me would love to see a proper American version of this story too, but I agree there would have to be some changes to make it palatable to an American audience. I agree with you that the chaste kisses would have to go for sure, but I don't think that an American version would necessarily have to have sex scenes. 

7 hours ago, rocky689 said:

OMG! That Unoffcial American version... do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from it! LOL! It's just so bad. DIY filmaking at its worst, IMO.  So embarrassing.  If only we could have a proper  US adaptation some day.

Idk if the full video of f4 for ELLE magasine has been posted already ?

but its a total eye candy 

they all look flawless in their own way 

and im here to share 

can you spot the two puppies ?!

yes its didi and the actual dog xD

Archived