Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

Maybe the build up was too much and this episode felt lackluster in comparison? Either way, I'm going to just enjoy Hwayugi as a package. And I think LSG and OYS did a wonderful job with what they were given.

• Like 14

@rittoo the last two episodes should have carried out the climax of the story whereby the beautiful ending should be properly lay out towards the end of ep 20. The mess in ep 19 ruins the expectation for the ending in ep 20, at least for me. I can basically guess what ep 20 will be... either she dies or given another chance to live since she has fulfilled her purpose or becomes an immortal or many other possibilities but then getting to that ending from this ep 19 is no longer important. Like I mentioned ...it is already anticlimax. :)

• Like 2

I  am not anxious in anyway about the ending or what is to come in episode 20 because...1) I expected episode 19 to end badly and 2) I have a sort of confidence in the writing that it will all work out in the end.  SM is already dead, so it can't get any worse for OG in that department, and if OG dies then there would be nobody left suffering, so it is all good. Anything that happens in episode 20 would have to be an upgrade from a dead SM and devastated and heartbroken OG IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Sunmi's fate as samjang is indeed to contain the evil spirit.

Her blood summoned the black dragon. If OG didn't come on time, that dragon would have entered her body leaving with only two options: she stabs herself or he stabs her.

and i wanna see KDS  and ASN being burnt together as punishment

ps. This ep not only awoken the dragon but a very angry dragon in every viewers lol. So many people delurking sounded angry :D

• Like 13
  • LOL 6

As I wait for subs, quick shout out of thanks to @countingstarz and @briseis. I love dark humor , sarcastic humor, cynical humor, and humor in general. Big fan B)

Im the type of person who sometimes reads the ending of a book mid way. Hence,  my love for spoilers. :wub:

I also love to read other pep’s points of views,  reviews, etc. I actually don’t mind the reincarnate route. I actually prefer it over SOG becoming human to tell you the truth. But if it happens. Ah well. <shrugs her shoulders> cest la vi. 

To me , this show will become one of my faves. It doesn’t really much matter, to me, the ending anymore.  I guess it’s because I fell in love with the show in episode 3. The journey to me is more important.  

Sure, not a perfect drama. But then again I’ve never seen a drama 100% perfect. Plot holes galore, and cgi effects meh/ok, (I don’t really pay attention to much about this to tell you the truth. Plus, cgi effects are expensive.). But the positive aspects out weigh the negatives ones in my mind. 

• Like 6

Hello all, been lurking here.

Am I the only one who is not totally slaughtering this drama right now (or has been the whole time)? lol. I've loved pretty much every moment, even with the frustrating times, and I have not really minded some inconsistencies with the plot/writing. I think the cast and portrayal have been so strong, it doesn't make me focus on maybe inconsistent parts. I have not been super upset at some CGI, as I never like to compare to other dramas (like how some have been with Goblin etc), and GoT has really set the bar with Western shows so I have not compared to it. I've highly enjoyed this drama and with watching ep 19 episode it was gut wrenching but even with the CGI I was not very upset with it. 

I agree with the ones on here about not having reincarnation ending, it doesn't seem like it's heading that direction even though it may look like it. This drama has really shown that you can't trust everything presented to you (esp with previews lol), rather have to look beyond the front and try to digest what may not be said/shown (more like stay on the tip of your toes). I have not taken things concrete. I think that's why I haven't been too upset at there maybe being inconsistencies or how Hong Sisters throw us a different way than we originally thought. Hong Sisters have really taken us above and beyond with this drama lol. I am not totally judging this drama without seeing the last episode. Maybe after then I can process what I didn't like or did like with it. I'm so sad it's the end though :( I've loved this drama so much and OTP and reading all your theories. Also, when will we get that karaoke scene lol it's still on my mind for soooo long.

Edited by natsuu
grammar lol
  • Like 15

Yes, well have different views and disappointments, but we only have one episode to go and yall can write reviews saying its the worst drama you've ever watched then.

• Like 3

Thank you for translating the moment when Sunmi was dying

when i watched that scene i thought Sunmi last words were

"in this lonely world i grew up in, meeting a man that i love.. i'm really lucky"

if she said that It would have broke ny heart even more what a sad and unfair life God has given this girl

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

When KDS stabbed JSM, why didn't the GGG alert SOG? Ah, I need the subs. Did the white clad elders make the GGG useless when SOG was imprisoned?

• Like 1

I'm rewatching a korean odyssey now, because I'd assumed this final episodes  would be very difficult to watch, I'd be crying a lot and would need some laughter and some joy, before all the mess with ASN and KDS. And I just want to say is amazing how the authors built this love story, and how the characters started developing, how JSM was so reserved, before acknowledging she was SJ, and SOG was so rude at the beginning, but you could see how curious he was about this little girl, and then woman, who waited for him for 25 years, and then who had the most amazing blood. How they banter with each other, how SJ started to appreciate SOG's company, missing him, and slowly falling in love, trusting him, showing him her true personality, and SOG started to see her less like food, and more like a woman, someone he couldn't live without.

And now, he is all alone... they've lost so much time (25 years she waited for him), and then the fighting, and with ASN and the tricks, and the GGG, and now he has lost her, now that they both have acknowledge their feelings. She dies, and leaves him all alone. She wanted to grow old, she wanted to see more movies, OMG is so sad.

And just like the white heron... he is all alone without his Samjang, I would also want to forget everything and just disappear. God, I'm so depressed right now.

source.gif

And honestly, I don't really care about the dragon, the CGI, I'm amazed with the quality of performance from our main couple, their chemistry, and how the characters have evolved. I find  it really beautiful.

And (unpopular opinion) I don't care if the end involves reincarnation of one or the other,, as long as they get together, and don't leave it to be an open ending. Of course, I would prefer it they both end up living HEA in heaven or as deities (like many have said before), but I'll take what I can, and if they end up together, that's fine by me.. as long as it's not with SOG alone, saying "remember my name" looking at the sunset and then: THE END. THAT would kill me.:angry:

• Like 21
  • LOL 1

@nrbrown & @natsuu i share the same sentiments.

They isn't much the writers could do that i would have a problem with at this stage. How am i going to nitpick a fantasy drama? One could say the whole premise doesn't make sense. A Monkey, Cow & and dog with Powers/Magic? I am going to allow the writer to finish telling their story, and at the end i'll say whether i vibed with it or not. So far i can say i thoroughly enjoyed the drama. I liked it's quirkiness and unpredictability and the acting is on point. Most of all i enjoyed the love story not only because of the story telling, but also the acting. I felt the love, i felt the fear, i felt the uncertainty, i felt the desperation, i felt the anguish and i felt the joy.

• Like 14

42 minutes ago, MsMinnieFran said:

@nrbrown & @natsuu i share the same sentiments.

They isn't much the writers could do that i would have a problem with at this stage. How am i going to nitpick a fantasy drama? One could say the whole premise doesn't make sense. A Monkey, Cow & and dog with Powers/Magic? I am going to allow the writer to finish telling their story, and at the end i'll say whether i vibed with it or not. So far i can say i thoroughly enjoyed the drama. I liked it's quirkiness and unpredictability and the acting is on point. Most of all i enjoyed the love story not only because of the story telling, but also the acting. I felt the love, i felt the fear, i felt the uncertainty, i felt the desperation, i felt the anguish and i felt the joy.

Thank you. You said the words i wanted to say

this drama isn't perfect ( no drama is actually)  esp with this 100% fantasy drama involving monkey king, bull, pig, demon, octopus, zombie and a human being

so far the love  story, chemistry, and acting of the two leads have touched my heart so much. I can't diiferentiate it's LSG-OYS or OG-Sunmi anymore because the way they look at each other with those natural skinships+passionate kiss make me questioned reel or real?:wub:

i also love Mawang with Sec Dog. I'm   annoyed by MW for being a stubborn and selfish bull but i still adore him, hoping that his son would heal his pain after thousand years longing for his love. 

Gotta admit that  Pig and dragon are really unnecessary. Their characters are just too shallow to move anyone. Feel so bad for Buja, i want her to meet her unnie and pk brother for the last time.

i guess Sunmi being stabbed is to ease  the pain for a tiny bit which could be more unbearable   if OG stabbed her. Although it would be better if she stabbed  KDS first then stab herself.

this will be my overtime fav drama and fave couple ever if they gave us a  satisfactory happy ending:)

• Like 16

Just now watching the RAW version and I literally had tears in my eyes when SOG cried and screamed after SM died. That is one of the most heartbreaking scene for me after Goblin. The GGG surprised me since it helped kill the dragon. So it does have more powers to it than I thought. 

Tomorrow's episode will make me cry as well when OG cries at the tower. LSG became one of my favorite actors now. OYS will be one too. Please give us a wedding and the things they wanted to do together, Writer-nims, for the finale! 

Also, I will miss this thread when it's over tomorrow! You all have been great with your opinions and love for the drama. :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I am not watching this episode until tomorrows episode finishes. I am going to stay positive and think that sadness is given in this episodes so that happiness can be given in tomorrows final episode. I think when you are given happiness in the 2nd to last episode the shoe of unhappiness will definitely drop in the last episode. So nothing but up from here guys, shin up.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, missirina said:

The crux of the matter is SM is born as Samjang who's destined to save the world. Her birth brought an end to an epidemic, and she faces evil spirits on a daily basis despite being a human. And in the end she will die to save the world. Like what the peddler said, she is a special human who will be able to make a choice that no one else would be able to do. And I'm probably being very brutal now, but it is not that uncommon to die for love. If her sacrifice in the end was only to save OG, wouldn't that be a step backwards for her? A human whose life was so full of sadness, yet grows up to become a successful CEO; a human whose been treated so unfairly by most of the people around her; yet has the strength and inner purity to fight and save the world and the very people who see her only as a misfortune. That is her calling. This is the special human JSM whose soul is so pure and with an inner strength, that SOG falls in love with. If in the end she chose her love over her duty, wouldn't that also be interpreted as her being selfish? And from SOG conversation with MW at the dragon site, he himself agrees that he would never try to stop her if it comes down to it because he knows her selflessness and he respects her enough to not stop her. This comes from a being who once upon a time was so selfish and will only do what he wants without thinking of the consequences. 

Now this doesn't mean I agree with the writer's decision to have KDS killing her in the end - they could have done this differently. But its what happened afterwards that I do feel quite satisfied with. By having SOG decide to fulfil SM's wishes, that is to save the world, he's basically come full circle. From a selfish guy who back out of a promise to a young girl, then falling in love with said girl and doing all he can to save her, to finally decide to do something selfless even though SM is dead. This I feel is SM's greatest accomplishment (in this story of course, although the feminist in me is raging like a bull, like, come on man, is that the only thing a girl can do???) - in changing OG to do something selfless without any hope of reward. Of course this feels a bit bittersweet; after all why tease us with SM having powers etc when it all seems useless in the end. But then again, technically she managed to save the world by just being herself - no power or supernatural powers, just a human being.

If the rationale for having SJ killed by kds is to show how much she managed to change SOG, I give Hong Sisters a “PASS”. Lol

while I lament that the death bell premonition wasn’t followed thru, I am also glad that it proves again SJ and SOG has changed the course of actions the heaven has previously planned with their love for each other.

and SOG willing to complete SJ’s assignment after her death to destroy the a black Dragon shows his love has grown beyond just JSM herself. It also includes the human world which JSM loved and wanted to protect.

CG is subpar which is so really a let down. Even the glutton ghost that used to be fixated onto Alice was better.

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, juzluvpink said:

and SOG willing to complete SJ’s assignment after her death to destroy the a black Dragon shows his love has grown beyond just JSM herself. It also includes the human world which JSM loved and wanted to protect.

CG is subpar which is so really a let down. Even the glutton ghost that used to be fixated onto Alice was better.

I'm sorry to cut your post, but isn't OG saving the human world bcos SM asked him to. If I'm not mistaken SM said it before her death that OG will do anything SM ask, bcos OG said that before to SM right? That he will do anything SM ask him.. well, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

As for the CGI for the dragon I am totally agree with you, the glutton monster was better than the dragon. 

25 minutes ago, juzluvpink said:

I'm sorry to cut your post, but isn't OG saving the human world bcos SM asked him to. If I'm not mistaken SM said it before her death that OG will do anything SM ask, bcos OG said that before to SM right? That he will do anything SM ask him.. well, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

As for the CGI for the dragon I am totally agree with you, the glutton monster was better than the dragon. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ade Noveeanthy said:

You are correct.

.. imo OG is saving the human world bc SM loves it (and SM is his world) 

The CG disappointed me as well, but I mean it's a kdrama for crying out loud ... if we expect super high quality we might as well watch a Hollywood production. lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 7