[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Season 2 - after 500 years, KDS came back as a vengeful evil spirit. With no choice, the heavenly realm has to call on Sam Jang and SOG as well as the others to get rid of him. 

———————

I still don’t understand the logic killing a human as noble as JSM. Even when she’s given a chance to come back to life, she followed instructions and never once thought of herself. She told lies just to get the bangle off. She could use that one day for so many other selfish reasons. 

Just saying. In the original Journey to the West, the purest of human was not sacrificed. Instead, the most powerful deity was asked to protect him. And all the other deities were also looking out for him. He had to go through an arduous journey to prove his worthiness of becoming a Buddha but his life was never compromised by the ones above. Such a pure and rare human, shouldn’t be sacrificed just like that. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

1. The heavens had given OG a place back in heaven for his deeds, but was worried about allowing an OG who had completely lost his memories and thus withdrawn from everything into heaven. They decided that if the GGG could be removed from OG, that he might return to normal. So, that was why they placed so much importance on removing his GGG, and was even willing to have SM come back for a day to remove it.

From what I gathered. SOG had reverted back to himself..worse even with his terrible temper and manners so the heavens didn't want him to come back as the old version of him. They wanted the new version that JSM had made him into with her love so they let JSM come back for a day.

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, I kind of had a bad thought. What if since SM has OG's eye now so that he can recognize SM regardless of what she looks like, they're actually already setting up for a Hwayugi Season 2, but knowing that they may have to have different actors? Then, the mystical eyes could be used to explain why SM looks different. And, then if LSG isn't available, they can just note that OG as a god changed his appearance since they can do that. Hmm, I'm really not excited about a season 2 of this drama. Sorry.

Is one mystical eye enough to change JSM's whole appearance? SOG left to get her back the next day itself no? How long until he gets there? Her appearance shouldn't change unless there's a reincarnation and SOG is too impatient to wait for that.

I think they would try their level best to get LSG as SOG but they made sure to say that JSM may change "forms" so they can bring in a new female lead if OYS is not available or denies the offer. The way she was "ignored" in BTS, and even in the shows climax, I have a bad feeling about it.

I feel the same as you about season 2. IF there is a S2 then it has to be LSG and OYS as SOG and JSM. If not then, I am not interested.

2 hours ago, Zelda said:

I agree that Oh Gong in JTTW is a very different character than Oh Gong in Hwayugi, but I consider their power levels to be very similar. There have been many hints of that, even though the drama wasn't able to show him at his coolest like a big budget movie would have.

I thought the drama was pretty unfair in showing how strong he is. I read Chapter 3 of the story you posted and holy freaking God he is REALLY STRONG..Strong enough to make the Dragon King shake in his boots. But in the show..he gets tired if he heals JSM's cuts or gets rid of one measly demon? He even needed power from MW to defeat the heavens guards and he almost died defeating the black dragon. This from a God who swings his 13500 POUNDS weapon like it was a needle and made the 10 King of the afterlife shake in their boots when they decided it was time for him to die. He didn't even have to threaten them..he asked for ink to erase his name from the Book of death and they gave it to him because they were so terrified of his vast power.

WTF, show.

BTW thanks for sharing those links..I really enjoyed reading how strong SOG really is. :D

• Like 8

@YourHighness .

Naaah don't think too much about it. OYS seems to be having fun on set . She herself said it and the way LeeEl, Lee se Young, and OYS interact already indicate that they have become really close. See the staffs are close with her too

as for LSG and OYS , i can see they are trying really hard not to cause any rumour/ scandal. One datinf scandal already made them got dragged for years.

the bts is a mess in general. Even in the last ep they didn't have one? I noticed they  have never showed any NG too.

i don't think Sunmi change in terms of appearance. Even Nachalyeo who reincaranated for the 9th time is still the same unless you are reincarnated as animal/ tree:/ flower. It's reincarnation rule 101

Sunmi is still in dead land aka paradise. OG gave her his special eyes that can see beneath the truth so ino matter what happens , even if her memory is wiped out she will know that whatever  OG tells her is the truth.  He chose to go to the underworld because he needs ro take her  asap lol. This monkey can't live even a day without his Sunmi...

in what form  we don't know but it may means that she is  not  a human Sunmi anymore. She may become a deity? Demon? Fairy?  Who knows?

season 2 is unlikely because of these star studded cast. Although knetz are petitioning for season 2 too  and they are keen on casting LSG and OYS again. I'm gonna leave this on their hands lmao

This 503 couple is receiving lots of love. 

If there is really a chance for season 2 with the same cast i think it will be a good chance for her. After this drama there is an influx of new members in her fancafe everyday so does her Weibo.

Because of this drama she is getting lots of international fans too. I'm really happy cos her last dramas like Jang Bori  and SOGC are successful in Korea but obv not inetz taste

• Like 8

Hwayugi: Episode 20 (Final)

by girlfriday

hwayugi20-01255.jpg

I know that our monsters in Hwayugi didn’t go on a pilgrimage like they did in Journey to the West, but it still felt like quite the journey, full of misadventures, great tales, and a couple of wrong turns. We’re finally at the end of the road and it’s time to put Monkey’s love to the test once and for all. Can the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven actually go up against heaven and live up to his name, or will Fate get the last laugh?

FINAL EPISODE RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/03/hwayugi-episode-20-final/

• Like 4

How many chance for Korean drama to have 2nd season? I only know 1 drama that has 2nd season that starred by Kwon Sang woo. Haven't watched it but I think all the casts are back for 2nd season. I think all the producer director and writer will not stupid enough to come for season 2 if they want to change the lead actress\actor. They should know that this drama was successful not only because of LSG or not only because of OYS, this drama was a success because of all the casts that involved. 

• Like 7

There is a very very slim chance for a season 2 actually. Hence Hong Sisters should have written a good ending to leave a good and fond memories for the viewers

Everyone is  angry and baffled by the ending

and now there is a news article pointing out how similar the drama is with Black Bird (?)

0001021874_001_20180306155729719.jpg?typ

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=213&aid=0001021874

Hong Sisters are under fire again..

hence they should have known better to satisfy their loyal viewers

now everything they do will be criticized

• Like 5

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

@YourHighness .

Naaah don't think too much about it. OYS seems to be having fun on set . She herself said it and the way LeeEl, Lee se Young, and OYS interact already indicate that they have become really close. See the staffs are close with her too

as for LSG and OYS , i can see they are trying really hard not to cause any rumour/ scandal. One datinf scandal already made them got dragged for years.

the bts is a mess in general. Even in the last ep they didn't have one? I noticed they  have never showed any NG too.

i don't think Sunmi change in terms of appearance. Even Nachalyeo who reincaranated for the 9th time is still the same unless you are reincarnated as animal/ tree:/ flower. It's reincarnation rule 101

Sunmi is still in dead land aka paradise. OG gave her his special eyes that can see beneath the truth so ino matter what happens , even if her memory is wiped out she will know that whatever  OG tells her is the truth.  He chose to go to the underworld because he needs ro take her  asap lol. This monkey can't live even a day without his Sunmi...

in what form  we don't know but it may means that she is  not  a human Sunmi anymore. She may become a deity? Demon? Fairy?  Who knows?

season 2 is unlikely because of these star studded cast. Although knetz are petitioning for season 2 too  and they are keen on casting LSG and OYS again. I'm gonna leave this on their hands lmao

This 503 couple is receiving lots of love. 

If there is really a chance for season 2 with the same cast i think it will be a good chance for her. After this drama there is an influx of new members in her fancafe everyday so does her Weibo.

Because of this drama she is getting lots of international fans too. I'm really happy cos her last dramas like Jang Bori  and SOGC are successful in Korea but obv not inetz taste

I dunno, I felt weird when they made SOG say "However you change" I wonder if they meant appearance like her face or her status? If it's her status, I don't mind but if there is a S2, I want LSG and OYS as SOG and JSM. It's useless to have a season 2 otherwise.

I still think the BTS was weird..she was barely shown interacting with others too. Other than the words we didn't see the closeness between the actresses or actors with OYS. We were shown how all the other "Demons" in the show were close and joking and laughing but with OYS they were very stingy.

You are right about NC, she was the same in every reincarnation but wasn't she a deity turned bad? Maybe they can twist the logic a little and say that as a human JSM could change? :( My heart sinks just to think about it but it's not outside the spectrum of thought. I just hope it's her status..even a Fairy would do like you mentioned.

That is true. SOG did go to get JSM in the morning itself. She went to the Land of dead at night and he packed up everything the same night, said his goodbyes in the morning and left to get her back. He couldn't even wait for a day. It makes me sure that if not for the memory loss, JSM would have been with him by then. I guess he was without his memory for a week at the most, but from the state of BJ's rotting body I would guess even less..maybe 2-3 days? Didn't SBR once say that BJ will rot away in a day without SJ?

Oh really? There's a petition? That's great! I hope it succeeds and we get a continuation with LSG and OYS as SOG and JSM. I can't help but think that all those open plotlines(SOG as the owner of Mgroup, JSM death not being public, Frosty's punishment and why, PK, OJ etc) was because of their plan for S2. Isn't the Odyssey supposed to be very long? Besides the end result was supposed to be everyone turning into deities and basically no one did. They are all still on that journey and promised to meet later on again. 

BTW if there is a S2 then JSM will definitely not be just a bait and a helpless human so OYS should have no reason to reject the project if offered unless they never offer her it. In that case the situation between them will be clear to us.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Sorry, I was going meta outside of the drama logic itself. When OG gives her his eye, he says that he will be able to recognize her wherever she is and whatever she looks like. Given that episode 20 felt like such a transition episode to a season 2 or a movie or something, I couldn't help but wonder it the writers were setting it up for a sequel of some kind, but using foresight to think that they might not be able to get the same actors.  I don't know that it's true or not. It's just a thought that occurred to me, and just really made me not excited for a season 2 if that happens. As others have noted, OG and SM need to be LSG and OYS in order for me to be onboard with any further continuation of this drama.

Anyway, I would hope that OG would burn the Land of the Dead to the ground in order to find his SM, not waiting for any niceties or reincarnations or anything like that. At least that's the way this drama ends in my head. :)

And, you're right, OG took a day to say goodbye and pack, and then immediately left to go get SM back. :)

You are not wrong. I thought the same when they made it sure to talk about her change and SOG recognizing her no matter what. If her face was not going to change, would they have made SOG say that? Would he have needed to give her the eye if her face was not going to change? :confused:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Hong Sisters are under fire again..

hence they should have known better to satisfy their loyal viewers

now everything they do will be criticized

It’s not for Black Bird, it’s for a Korean web series if I’m not wrong..but isn’t this more than twice now that the Hong Sisters are being accused of plagiarism? lol

If it’s true, i feel so bad for the cast..

and I’ll be gladly over that mess of a final episode. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

I dunno, I felt weird when they made SOG say "However you change" I wonder if they meant appearance like her face or her status? If it's her status, I don't mind but if there is a S2, I want LSG and OYS as SOG and JSM. It's useless to have a season 2 otherwise.

I still think the BTS was weird..she was barely shown interacting with others too. Other than the words we didn't see the closeness between the actresses or actors with OYS. We were shown how all the other "Demons" in the show were close and joking and laughing but with OYS they were very stingy.

You are right about NC, she was the same in every reincarnation but wasn't she a deity turned bad? Maybe they can twist the logic a little and say that as a human JSM could change? :( My heart sinks just to think about it but it's not outside the spectrum of thought. I just hope it's her status..even a Fairy would do like you mentioned.

That is true. SOG did go to get JSM in the morning itself. She went to the Land of dead at night and he packed up everything the same night, said his goodbyes in the morning and left to get her back. He couldn't even wait for a day. It makes me sure that if not for the memory loss, JSM would have been with him by then. I guess he was without his memory for a week at the most, but from the state of BJ's rotting body I would guess even less..maybe 2-3 days? Didn't SBR once say that BJ will rot away in a day without SJ?

Oh really? There's a petition? That's great! I hope it succeeds and we get a continuation with LSG and OYS as SOG and JSM. I can't help but think that all those open plotlines(SOG as the owner of Mgroup, JSM death not being public, Frosty's punishment and why, PK, OJ etc) was because of their plan for S2. Isn't the Odyssey supposed to be very long? Besides the end result was supposed to be everyone turning into deities and basically no one did. They are all still on that journey and promised to meet later on again. 

BTW if there is a S2 then JSM will definitely not be just a bait and a helpless human so OYS should have no reason to reject the project if offered unless they never offer her it. In that case the situation between them will be clear to us.

You are not wrong. I thought the same when they made it sure to talk about her change and SOG recognizing her no matter what. If her face was not going to change, would they have made SOG say that? Would he have needed to give her the eye if her face was not going to change? :confused:

There was a bts of her having fun with LeeEl and an interview as well....

They are not crazy enough to change the crucial cast if there is a season 2 lol

the bts is just a mess. Look until now there is no bts or NG uploaded. They don't even show how LSG and CSW NG.. they keep showing the same scene in the drama with few ad libs only

Sunghyuk didn't even appear in the bts not even once 

usually when a drama ended, they will give lots of bts/making/ interview but nope nope nope

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, butterflyeffect said:

It’s not for Black Bird, it’s for a Korean web series if I’m not wrong..but isn’t this more than twice now that the Hong Sisters are being accused of plagiarism? lol

If it’s true, i feel so bad for the cast..

and I’ll be gladly over that mess of a final episode. 

Serve them right. The casts did their best and got the deserving praises so i don't think they are affected at all

i thank them for introducing me to this OTP with the best chemistry ever . This couple will always be no1 in my heart but Hong Sisters are on my blacklist now lol

just dropping this bts fmv lol. They don't hve many bts but even their chemistry behind the camera is def there .. they can't even look at each other eyes 

• Like 11

I somehow full of tears once the ost Believe being playing. The ending make it hard to throwback. Thankfully Bumkey - When I Saw you, still bring happiness to me, even after the unacceptable ending. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hi hwayugi soompiers !! it’s been too long since i posted , but i always lurke and try to read as much as i can . and kudo’s to all of you because this is one rare soompi forum without fanwars and shade thrown around . we all loved the the whole cast and the 503 otp . i watched ep 19 and 20 episode raw version only . i understand bit of korean and after reading recaps it’s like i need sometime to deal with wtferrry of ep 19/20 . 

hong sisters totaly lost it in ep 20 . episode 19 was epic despite crappy cgi . but killing off sunmi by accidental stabbing by spinless KDS is so stupid and samjang don’t deserve such richard simmons . and she just dies and only son oh gong gets reinstated in heaven and they send sunmi to earth for 1 day because their oh gong is being pouty ? i mean thats so disgracefull how they treat their special human samjang . don’t they need to reward her ? end rant about sunmi 

episode 20 the oh gong amnesia is fine i guess because we got the namsan tower scene because of that. i cried my eyes out T.T but don’t know why they have to make ep 20 60% filler with flashback when they could have moved from namsan tower scene to oh gong getting her back and demons all reunited at their wedding looking back fondly at summer fairy , dragon prince and buja . btw they killed off all female’s in the show . no bigdeal . 

i too got weird vibes witn bts and oh yoen seo. but she was sitting with seunggi at wrap up party, and i’m sure it’s just bts teams fault for making this super weird with their wtf bts’s. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ildiz said:

I found this fan-made ending!

SM picks up a lovebell in the underworld. It starts to ring!

Guess who is there for her!! 

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=hwaugi&no=24008&page=1

"I told you I will come find you, Jin Sun Mi."

It's so easy to make this kind of ending lol

such an easy scene to shoot.

this would have given a full closure

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ildiz said:

I found this fan-made ending!

SM picks up a lovebell in the underworld. It starts to ring!

Guess who is there for her!! 

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=hwaugi&no=24008&page=1

"I told you I will come find you, Jin Sun Mi."

To put this scene in the ending, isn't it easy? So that our heart will not hurt like now. Oh my gosh still can't accept the ending. My heart:bawling: the trust i put towards Hong Sisters betrayed me this much, is this pain same as the pain Oh Gong feel when Jin Sun Mi refuse to go with him?, It's hurt, a lot

• Like 3

sXair4U.jpg

LpGUMHN.jpg

zntjXvr.png

Jin Sun Mi is still Jin Sun Mi.  Nothing will change (appearance).   

Let's just be positive. Hong Sisters did it on "purpose"  bcs they want a Season 2 contract. :angry:

That is not LSG.  I'm not ready yet watching her with another male lead. My heartuee   :bawling:

This is my only last hope for our OTP reunion since it's Celltrion Ent production. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, cleoLsg said:

hi hwayugi soompiers !! it’s been too long since i posted , but i always lurke and try to read as much as i can . and kudo’s to all of you because this is one rare soompi forum without fanwars and shade thrown around . we all loved the the whole cast and the 503 otp . i watched ep 19 and 20 episode raw version only . i understand bit of korean and after reading recaps it’s like i need sometime to deal with wtferrry of ep 19/20 . 

hong sisters totaly lost it in ep 20 . episode 19 was epic despite crappy cgi . but killing off sunmi by accidental stabbing by spinless KDS is so stupid and samjang don’t deserve such richard simmons . and she just dies and only son oh gong gets reinstated in heaven and they send sunmi to earth for 1 day because their oh gong is being pouty ? i mean thats so disgracefull how they treat their special human samjang . don’t they need to reward her ? end rant about sunmi 

episode 20 the oh gong amnesia is fine i guess because we got the namsan tower scene because of that. i cried my eyes out T.T but don’t know why they have to make ep 20 60% filler with flashback when they could have moved from namsan tower scene to oh gong getting her back and demons all reunited at their wedding looking back fondly at summer fairy , dragon prince and buja . btw they killed off all female’s in the show . no bigdeal . 

i too got weird vibes witn bts and oh yoen seo. but she was sitting with seunggi at wrap up party, and i’m sure it’s just bts teams fault for making this super weird with their wtf bts’s. 

The bts is just so abrupt

but some fans say "eyes never lie" lol

that's why there's not bts btw them lmao

but yeah the cast are having fun for

sure but they never give a chance to show that.  The bts is always the same as the scene shown in the drama.. what's so fun about that?

i'm not mentally ready to see them pair up with someone else so soon *whimpers*

• Like 2

there is no hope for seaon 02 in any kdrama . so their lazy writing at last few episode is so dissapointing . but hwayugi will be one of the best drama’s for me . the first half was really outstanding . i’m greatfull for hwayugi for give us son oh gong and jinsunmi . 

hopefully seunggi will confirm vagabond soon and hopefully we will meet again in vagabond drama thread . 

• Like 2