[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

4 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

I was watching some clips from New Journey To The West season 1 and found that gem. He looks so good with Geum Gang Go no matter old or new model.:D No actor can be Son Oh Gong but Lee Seung Gi. :D:D 

Sorry to cut your post! I SECOND your statement...  No actor can be Son Oh Gong but Lee Seung Gi!! I haven't watched any LSG before this (sorry LSG fans).... I started watching this drama because of OYS (she is a great actress) and I am a fan of JTTW.. While watching the series, i became a fan of LSG!

I was wondering why he chose this as his comeback project and i found this article on page 4 of our forum...

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/13/lee-seung-gi-reveals-chose-hwayugi-comeback-drama/

He said he liked the script and believed that he can portray the role well...

I must say he did more than well.... He owned it..  He was able to play a range of emotions through this character.. I must say he showed off his range and that will open doors for all roles for the rest of his career.. I can feel him enjoying portraying SOG.. 

I also can totally understand why there are not many BTS of the couple... This is his comeback project... U don't want him to be embroiled in any scandals or rumors right? The chemistry on screen is sizzling..  Can u imagine how the off-screen chemistry would be? Probably if shown it will be taken out of context.... 

Whatever the ending, SOG=LSG!! :wub:

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

She looks so pretty :bawling: but why did she look so confused?

Perhaps because she came back to life? I could see how that could be discombobulating. :D Yes, any straw can and will get clutched wrt the ending! 

I also meant to mention, I really, really love the bromance in this drama beteen OG and MW. In ep 19, I especially love that after MW makes a big deal of not wanting to get involved, MW is the one who sides with OG against heaven’s will, and lends some of his energy so that OG can defete the minion of the heavens and go to SM 

11 hours ago, briseis said:

:lol: LOL but they killed her off so fast that she probably didn't have the opportunity to get pregnant. I get this is only fun. However, let's seriously contemplate it for a moment (this is purely hypothetical and absolutely NOT something that happened but I really love this heartwrenching, dark stuff and it would be truly awesome set up in the case the story was much more darker than it originally is) - if SM really got pregnant then that would change her death completely. It was already so tragic but imagine OG's heartbreak if he learned that not only did he lost the love of his life but also his child? Imagine his self-blame that he couldn't protect them? Imagine SM's immense self-blame for unwittingly getting their child killed?

I'm sorry I just got carried away since I'm a huge fan of angsty, dark love stories and today's episode is basically all my fantasies come true.

Agree with you.. If she really got pregnant, that would broke both of them deeply. 

But then what if the baby can give them a chance? Because the baby is still pure and also maybe has special strength, so JSM can live? Please don't let JSM walk around confusedly like lost soul for one day only.... Please back her live with SOG and their baby please...

10 hours ago, briseis said:

On a different, more lighter note, at least she didn't die a virgin and got to make love to the sexiest god alive who treats her like she the center of the entire universe. I have no doubt there is going to be a HEA and that the preview is once again misleading as hell and people are mostly freaking out; and let's stay positive because even if SM becomes a ghost/spirit for a while at least she won't become a virgin ghost (Cheonyeo Gwishin:wink:

Wkwkwkwkwkwkw... I can't imagine how JSM will be, if she turned to be virgin ghost, wondering around like that...

It's 1.13 pm in my area time, and still need 6 hours to go for the last episode... So we will not have their event together? Celebrate the last episode together?

Because I saw for today, LSG already joint to promote his movie. So will they gather together tonight? I need OYS and LSG moment please...

• Like 5

Hello, I'm deeply in love with Hwayugi & a silent reader here...

I just want to share some of "my vision" based on the preview...:tongue:

I think the one who lost memory is SM...because OG shed his tears & he also said 'remember my name'!! But he cannot give SM that memory back since he already give it in ep2..

Because SM already pour her love to empty herself then its must be empty & she seems to forgot everything that happen between them..while for OG, this must be the punishment that heaven always said..'because he didnt feel anything while being punish all this while, then I think this is the end of his punishment since his heart turn into pieces when he lost his one & only bride..'

About GGG, the heaven must manipulated her to remove it since the text preview said OG didn't return to heaven & just lock himself in suremdung... so they must manipulated her to remove it...(*i think):blink:

But despite all of this, i think we might get the happy ending right!!

There's a saying that even we lost our memory, people said that our body will still remember & we still have hope since SM left the elephant lock at the tower...we dont know whats writen there...whatever it is, they must remember/gain their memory back, reincarnation?? They always give it to us and i want the creative ending & outstanding ending...:rolleyes:

• Like 7

It looks like JSM is the one who lost her memories :o

The stills seems she don't know what to do. It could be the reason why SOG said remember my name. Less than six hours to go and it will be the finale and wrap up party.

Did he cut his bangs a little, still handsome as ever :D

CTTO

• Like 8

Guys about the dragon..I thought it wasn't bad for last minute CGI. I think someone commented the team had 5 months to work on it but that's not true. You need the script for the scene(which was completed last week and not 5 months ago) and you need the scene shot to work on it. That scene was shot last week, so it's really not fair to say the team didn't put in any effort and the Dragon was bad. I did mention that it was a Chinese Dragon and not a Dragon from GoT. GoT Dragons take MONTHS AND YEARS to work on. This show didn't have that luxury. So I think its a bit unfair to say the CGI sucked. It wasn't the best but it was not bad.

After one more rewatch, yes, I watched it again. I am a sucker for well written angst. I couldn't help but feel my heart break for SOG when JSM died in his arms and he just sat there, after screaming in anguish. He just sat quietly, caressing her cheeks like he didn't want to stop. He would have stayed there forever if not for her wish for him to save the world in her place. I thought the enraged look at the darkening sky was not just because he was building up his determination to fulfill her last wish, but also because he had to leave her to go and fight the Dragon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If Mawang bought OG the old model it will keep sliding off though????  You know how madly in love he is with her since long time ago :D

if Sunmi is a wandering spirit i'm gonna be so mad. Killing off her once isn't enough you have to make her a wandering spirit? 

@YourHighness . that's the reason he sealed himself in Sireumdong. Sitting down  at the place where Sunmi took his last breath like a man who lost his soul :bawling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

@annie1234 Oh. Which eps is that? LSG indeed looks cutely handsome with that crown. Even if MW bought SOG the old model in the first place, I think he'll still look fine going around with it in his head. :D it reminds me of what OYS said in the press-con, "ah.. that is SOG". LSG made the character so impressive and charismatic. Not just any actors can carry it so well. 

I'm not sure which episode because I only watched it in clips. I didn't watch the full video because they had no subtitle.:blink: But maybe it was from the first episode because at that time they were just showed the GGG to the members and all of them tried it.

14 minutes ago, haymochi said:

that's the reason he sealed himself in Sireumdong. Sitting down  at the place where Sunmi took his last breath like a man who lost his soul :bawling:

Yup. I think he willfully shut down his memory because it's so painful and traumatic. More excruciating than he imagined. :bawling: So his brain shut it out. But I think he does feel her loss because he went to the tower. Maybe he goes there everyday without knowing why? :bawling: So the Gods sent JSM there to remove the GGG.

BTW I don't think she is a wandering spirit. I am sure she was in heaven and the Gods called her out and gave her the task to remove the GGG without telling her who SOG is and what the bracelet represents. As a soul, I don't think she remembers her life or SOG. :bawling:

• Sad 2

“Hwayugi” Cast Picks Their Favorite Scenes From The Drama

Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo-Lee-Hong-Ki-Lee

Lee Seung Gi, Oh Yeon Seo, Lee Hong Ki, and Lee Se Young picked their favorite scenes from their drama “Hwayugi.”

Lee Seung Gi chose two scenes as the most memorable ones for him.

The first one he picked was the scene where Son Oh Gong (Lee Seung Gi) vows to Sam Jang/Jin Sun Mi (Oh Yeon Seo) that he will protect her. In that episode, Jin Sun Mi had seen the world breaking apart in the ill omen jar, and she ordered Son Oh Gong to protect her. Using honorifics, Son Oh Gong promised, “I’ll do that. Even if the world breaks apart, I will protect you.”

Lee Seung Gi explained his reason for choosing that scene, saying, “Until then, Son Oh Gong had been regarding Jin Sun Mi lightheartedly, and this was the scene where he showed a genuine side of himself for the first time.”

more https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/03/hwayugi-cast-picks-favorite-scenes-drama/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, sana82 said:

https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/03/lee-seung-gi-oh-yeon-seo-lee-hong-ki-share-thoughts-ahead-hwayugi-finale/

Based on this interview i think LSG didn't like the ending as well. So I won't have high hopes for today's ep.

I think it's more about bittersweet and aad that the drama is ending.

i'm gonna stay positive :crazy:

if the drama ends with "i'm gonna look for you, remember my name"

fade out

i'm gonna faint ...

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

@stroppyseThanks so much for the clarification about the dragon. I was not very upset with the CGI at all and thought it looked pretty cool (actually I have not thought badly about CGI in this drama, really, esp knowing the time they have), so I'm glad to read this and how it should be depicted. I think GoT kind of dragons come to one's mind when talking about dragons (not for everyone but just saying since GoT is such a big show worldwide) but it's so interesting to find this info from you. With each re-watch I do I find that I missed some things and have gotten more information than the first watch. Now that you've said this it really makes sense esp with the artifacts and so on. I was thinking it would be more energy kind of fight, like you said, rather than purely physical, and with it being a big evil spirit it does make sense. 

This drama really has Shakespearean themes and from Greek tragedies. Talking about KDS, I kind of see him as a Macbethian figure in a way, especially with his ambition. ASN acts as the 'three witches' in a way too, with how she places in his thoughts the power he could have and therefore helping him in the process, also creating chaos around her. When ASN started talking about the possibility in helping him with getting power, he truly looked fascinated with his desire for it, just as Macbeth was "rapt" when listening to the three witches prophecy. The more of those he killed, he became hungrier for it. With ASN by his side, he seems like he cannot be hurt by anything and he is very confident, maybe like he's having a false sense of security due to her. Also ASN could be equal to Lady Macbeth in a way (not necessarily like how Lady Macbeth does a 180 in the end lol), being the assurance of what he's doing. Unlike Macbeth who wavered at times, KDS really never has (maybe someone can tell me otherwise). We were able to see KDS as a 'human' when he walked into that party and saw the figures of those who he had killed, the guilt right up in his face, but the dark need for his ambition takes over that. It reminds me a lot of Richard III and Macbeth seeing the ghosts of those they killed too, but unlike them KDS reacts by indulging more into the dark. With Shakespeare's villains, he shows some human side to them at some point but their misdeeds grab most of the attention and is the forefront (some have had guilt be their ultimate downfall). A big theme in Macbeth is free will vs fate, and this kind of ties in with KDS and ASN encounter being the act of fate reacting from free will (then tying in with SJ's fate to 'save' the world in response to that). Also with how adamant ASN was about raising a 'dragon' in modern time, she acted on her free will but ties in with fate reacting to what she does. Fate does not necessarily mean that it has been preordained, as the events such as ASN switching bodies with JSM and how ASN reacts to that is from free will. However, with how the gods themselves knowing that JSM must sacrifice, then the consequences from ASN involvement follow that. From one event that happens another is a reaction. In Greek tragedies this is also very true, such as Oedipus choices and the reaction to that is fulfilling the fate of marrying his mother. Just as Macbeth was of his own free will to commit murder for the sake of a prophecy, those acts set the fate of his downfall. It could definitely be said that KDS started this road himself (such as campaigning etc and growing off of the power from and god-like ambition from that) but with ASN he could do even more. Maybe someone can argue/expand with some things I've said so I'm interested in hearing if there are any~

Kind of rambling here but the English lit major in me couldn't stop imagining lol

Edited by natsuu
grammar lol again. added some things
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

He's not talking about the ending in the show but about the show ending which makes him sad but also happy since it was a work well done. He will miss the show but he's also happy that it was a good project. :) I don't think we need to worry about the ending being bittersweet. I am sure we will get a happy ever after.

Thank you so much for your positive insights everytime 

I'm in a  terrible mood swing becaUse of the ending anxiety lol

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

I am not holding out hope for a happy ending with so many dead, badly hurt, or just sad and grief stricken.  I could not believe that they were killing off our main characters left and right.,  While Pk didn't die he lost just about everyone he loves or who loved him and I have to give a big thumbs up to Lee Hongki for his acting.  My heart broke for him when not only was any trace of our cute Zombie gone but also when she sets him on fire and he is saved by the water prince.  The look on his face and that tear was so so so sad and at that moment Hongki totally rocked the scene.  It's time for him to do a drama on his own where he is the romantic lead, he is just that good.  I also loved the opening scene as before the end those two needed to be together and we needed some show of emotions before the tragic stuff that follows.  Having said that so far not one character/ couple in this story is getting a truly happy ending. The bull did not get to reunite with his love, Princess Iron Fan.  He only got to end her suffering. Not only didn't our PK Pig get to save his cute zombie BJ, he also had to suffer the loss of Alice who loved him enough to save him.  General Winter seems to not only lose his sweet Fairy Sister but also his life. After watching the last heartbreaking scenes of  Son Oh-gong and Sam-Jang I can't really see a truly happy ending for them either.  At this point, I don't think much of the so-called Gods as they seem not so powerful but very mean and petty.  As we move into the last episode I just want a little happy but think we will get only bittersweet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

He's not talking about the ending in the show but about the show ending which makes him sad but also happy since it was a work well done. He will miss the show but he's also happy that it was a good project. :) I don't think we need to worry about the ending being bittersweet. I am sure we will get a happy ever after.

Reading this calms my heart, for sure LSG too will miss this because of his character SOG every theatre he visits the crowd gets wild some were shouting oh gong nim. I'm positive this will end well. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1