[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, justamom said:

@rellea it's good to see you!!! Your translation was the very first thing that went up on the fan site:

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/09/the-weight-of-what-we-carry/

I've also been hanging out at DC Inside and am flabbergasted at the depth of insights and discussions people are still bringing to the table even today. It's like we're all in some massive withdrawal/denial party.

I'm usually a HUGE football/World Cup fan and it's helping not helping with my withdrawal at all, as evidenced by my activity here. I have a feeling it'll be like Secret Love Affair - it took me six months to stop thinking of it every day, and by the end of that I'd watched it about 30 times.

I had the same question about the DVD version. I asked the My Mister team and this is what they sent me (see linked posts). The specials are going to be exactly the same, but only if you pre-order. If it makes you feel better, I watched a few episodes of My Ahjussi live while I was in Seoul and like I said before, it really felt like a different show. That's also my self-justification for ordering the Bluray :ph34r:

Wahh what an honor! I'm so flattered!! :scream:

I'm constantly shocked by how so many new insights keep coming out. It's like a neverending Christmas there. xD It also makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one whose life is on pause because of this drama.

That's really good to hear about the script! I'm even more excited now. :)

Reading what you said about hearing Donghoon's breathing in HD is making me regret not taking the plunge and buying the bluray version, and I don't even have a bluray player lolll.

1 hour ago, anipanch said:

@rellea oh that's so cool, congratulations on the DVD. Do you already have it? Or are you waiting for it? Let us know about any important differences if you stumble upon them :wub:

Thanks. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have the DVD yet. I think I read somewhere that it'll be ready for release sometime in November. I'm not sure how many people will still be here by then, but I'll be sure to report my findings!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

I am squeeing over the fact they are fan girling over his voice. So happy to see that he is recognised from this drama. Is someone iactually from Korea then can you enlighten me if he has gotten famous for this drama? What do people think about him there ? Just curious to know general public opninion about him. 

As Akhenaten mentioned I too tried to move on by watching what a up secretary Kim ... bad choice , it was cheesy as f..k. I miss those deep meaningful conversation and can’t seem to get on board with cliche k drama love track anymore . 

So I have resigned and currently on break apart from rewatching my mister . 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

Whoever said earlier that Park Dong Hoon in love is the cutest thing, boy do I have a treat for you:

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/a-lovers-quarrel/

Special thanks to @chickfactor and @ccl82 who provided the commentaries, but everybody, check it out!   @h2ogirljust added a bunch of gifs that will please you to no end.

Actually, visit the fan site regularly.  All the analyses plus photos/gifs really are at a whole different level.  

• Like 6

@sadiesmith thanks for being so dedicated! And to all others too. Still havent been able to watch anything else :huh:. I tried WWWSK but like others said, Im missing the deepness that there was in MA. Let’s see how it goes after a few more episodes then hopefully (fingerscrossed!) Ill be more inclined to start it. Ive been silent but still following this thread everyday. Im still doing my rewatch too:D. I might share some new observations I noticed.  Your effort does not go unnoticed ^_^

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ann04 said:

@sadiesmith thanks for being so dedicated! And to all others too. Still havent been able to watch anything else :huh:. I tried WWWSK but like others said, Im missing the deepness that there was in MA. Let’s see how it goes after a few more episodes then hopefully (fingerscrossed!) Ill be more inclined to start it. Ive been silent but still following this thread everyday. Im still doing my rewatch too:D. I might share some new observations I noticed.  Your effort does not go unnoticed ^_^

@ann04  @sadiesmith I've also started with What's Wrong With Secretary Kim,  aside from About Time. And you know what's wrong with it?  Nothing,  if what you're after is your typical KDrama where the male lead is a dashing CEO with a snobbish attitude that hides a caring side, and the female lead is a bubbly and happy young woman with a sparkling personality that will melt the CEO's heart. Trope all throughout. Fluffy and fun. But nothing profound and I doubt it will linger in your psyche long after it ends. :)

It's like those little drugstore pocketbooks that you just buy and read to pass the time while waiting for a ride but you discard on your next stop. As opposed to MA which to me is like a Leo Tolstoy or a Victor Hugo novel,  which you really need to digest and turn over in your head and read over and over again. 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@ann04  @sadiesmith I've also started with What's Wrong With Secretary Kim,  aside from About Time. And you know what's wrong with it?  Nothing,  if what you're after is your typical KDrama where the male lead is a dashing CEO with a snobbish attitude that hides a caring side, and the female lead is a bubbly and happy young woman with a sparkling personality that will melt the CEO's heart. Trope all throughout. Fluffy and fun. But nothing profound and I doubt it will linger in your psyche long after it ends. :)

It's like those little drugstore pocketbooks that you just buy and read to pass the time while waiting for a ride but you discard on your next stop. As opposed to MA which to me is like a Leo Tolstoy or a Victor Hugo novel,  which you really need to digest and turn over in your head and read over and over again. 

This post is for you @akhenatenhttps://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/lazy-viewing-it-is-not/

• Like 3

This one is short, so I'll translate it quickly. 

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=55800&page=&recommend=1

"Pity is also a form of love."

In Park Hae Young's earlier works, she has a line that goes "pity is also a form of love." If you see her work across a spectrum, then it would seem to suggest that pitying each other, in My Ahjussi, also carries the meaning of loving someone. The writer seems to see pitying someone as a necessary condition of love (of course, the love between a man and woman). I believe this also is connected with the Buddhism ideal of compassion.

During the problematic container scene with Dong Hoon's long speech (also seen as an explanation scene), if you replace all the times Dong Hoon said "pity" with the word "love" or like", then all the problematic parts would be resolved. Another interesting point is that in this scene Ji An seems to understand Dong Hoon's "pity" as "love or "like". The problem is that unlike Ji An, most viewers did not seem to understand this point, and thus saw the container scene with much regret. Of course, that Dong Hoon does not say "love" or "like" is also something that needs to be explained.

In episode 15, when we hear out Dong Hoon's feelings towards Ji An in the container scene, as well as the later scene in Jeong Hee's bar, in those three minutes it becomes easy to understand. In the later scene at Jeong Hee's bar, when Dong Hoon admits his love openly in front of everyone: from that moment Dong Hoon and Ji An's relationship becomes a real male-female relationship. (I think those who have reacted angrily to the images from this scene in earlier posts may also have the same reaction here ^^)

---

Me: This actually ties in with the earlier post I was thinking of writing about Buddhism. A key precept is to love someone is to know someone fully, and to empathise with someone completely is to love that person. I'll try to find that and link it here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Jeong Hee Unnie fighting! Oh Nara's latest instagram post.

Translation: 

"It was from here. That this drama shook me. I'm trying to clear my heart of stray thoughts for new projects. Let's not be cheap/unworthy! Let's love. I'll definitely meet you with a bright smile in my next project."

Apparently she also met Go Do Shim and Lee Seon Gyun at work, and hearing Park Dong Hoon's voice shook her all over again...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Park Dong Hoon (credit https://www.instagram.com/vegetable_small_art/ pic uploaded to imgur)

cUM8db1.jpg

^^I found this from https://twitter.com/chaedonghyun  which pointed to the IG of Chae Dong-hyun who portrayed Assistant Manager Kim (PDH's team) in My Mister.

He mentioned the DVD?

Edited by mylovelystar
IG of Chae Dong-hyun
  • Like 9

57 minutes ago, justamom said:

Jeong Hee Unnie fighting! Oh Nara's latest instagram post.

Translation: 

"It was from here. That this drama shook me. I'm trying to clear my heart of stray thoughts for new projects. Let's not be cheap/unworthy! Let's love. I'll definitely meet you with a bright smile in my next project."

Apparently she also met Go Do Shim and Lee Seon Gyun at work, and hearing Park Dong Hoon's voice shook her all over again...

Are the three of them working on the same project at the moment?  The movie with Song Kang Ho?

@widala, hello!  Glad you're joining the conversation.  And I saw you put up a fanfic at ao3.  It's you, isn't it?  Off to read.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, justamom said:

In Park Hae Young's earlier works, she has a line that goes "pity is also a form of love." If you see her work across a spectrum, then it would seem to suggest that pitying each other, in My Ahjussi, also carries the meaning of loving someone. The writer seems to see pitying someone as a necessary condition of love (of course, the love between a man and woman). I believe this also is connected with the Buddhism ideal of compassion.

During the problematic container scene with Dong Hoon's long speech (also seen as an explanation scene), if you replace all the times Dong Hoon said "pity" with the word "love" or like", then all the problematic parts would be resolved. Another interesting point is that in this scene Ji An seems to understand Dong Hoon's "pity" as "love or "like". The problem is that unlike Ji An, most viewers did not seem to understand this point, and thus saw the container scene with much regret. Of course, that Dong Hoon does not say "love" or "like" is also something that needs to be explained.

In episode 15, when we hear out Dong Hoon's feelings towards Ji An in the container scene, as well as the later scene in Jeong Hee's bar, in those three minutes it becomes easy to understand. In the later scene at Jeong Hee's bar, when Dong Hoon admits his love openly in front of everyone: from that moment Dong Hoon and Ji An's relationship becomes a real male-female relationship. (I think those who have reacted angrily to the images from this scene in earlier posts may also have the same reaction here ^^)

Thank you for translating, really enjoyed this one, too.  And I think Ji An must know that pity=love/like because of the conversation they had in the subway. She told him she missed him and liked him even more, and he said that was because she pitied him.  But in the container scene, did DH tell her that he pitied (loved) her?  And when did DH admit his love openly in front of everyone?

• Like 6

Just now, sadiesmith said:

Thank you for translating, really enjoyed this one, too.  And I think Ji An must know that pity=love/like because of the conversation they had in the subway. She told him she missed him and liked him even more, and he said that was because she pitied him.  But in the container scene, did DH tell her that he pitied (loved) her?  And when did DH admit his love openly in front of everyone?

I think she/he's referring to the whole dialogue about "how can a child like you pity an adult like me? I'm pitiful, and it makes you hurt. And that hurts me, when you hurt because of me." He/she is saying that 'like' or 'love' is actually what Dong Hoon is trying to say.

DH admitting his love --> sitting next to her comfortably at Jeong Hee's bar. And "she's the one who made me director" LOL.

She/he has a point. Even Jae Chul could sense Dong Hoon and Ji An have some secret code, even if he had no clue what was going on. But Ki Hoon, Dong Hoon and Jeong Hee definitely know something's up...notice Jeong Hee's shocked expression right after he says that

Eg9slKu.gif&key=dafc47f1f2f09facb3e6c0a0

Re: meeting up, I think she means they just coincidentally met at the same office/workplace.

14 hours ago, rellea said:

That's really good to hear about the script! I'm even more excited now. :)

Reading what you said about hearing Donghoon's breathing in HD is making me regret not taking the plunge and buying the bluray version, and I don't even have a bluray player lolll.

Neither do I!!! 

Well actually our TV has been spoiled for a long time (we don't watch TV at home), so I was thinking, this might be a good excuse to upgrade our home movie system??? :lol:

• Like 6

5 hours ago, justamom said:

---

Me: This actually ties in with the earlier post I was thinking of writing about Buddhism. A key precept is to love someone is to know someone fully, and to empathise with someone completely is to love that person. I'll try to find that and link it here.

@justamom  I have to rewatch that then.  If that's the case, then Ji An's reply to Dong Hoon in that episode 12 train scene (the one where she said she stayed at the office late because she missed him) when he told her that what she felt for him was out of pity now makes sense. She replied that he pitied her as well so isn't that the same thing.  So she was actually telling him that, if she said she likes/loves him and he says that her feelings are out of pity, then he likes/loves her too because he also helped her out of pity. 

Edited by akhenaten
  • Like 7

Okay, after my passionate defense of three years time jump, I read up some more on DC Inside and it seems there is some debate about whether Dong Hoon said Ji Seok is now twelve or fourteen years in American age. I tried to listen but I honestly only caught the "yon..." and it sounds like "yon-ne" (fourteen). But it could also be "yol-tul..."

So.....it looks like unless someone from the PD team clarifies...or we get the scripts, the jury is still out.

:neutral:

(edit)

Most of the DC Inside people seem to be in the 1-year time jump camp now. They say IU TV should be more reliable :phew:

• Like 6

7 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

^^I found this from https://twitter.com/chaedonghyun  which pointed to the IG of Chae Dong-hyun who portrayed Assistant Manager Kim (PDH's team) in My Mister.

He mentioned the DVD?

It says My Ahjussi DVD commentary - my guess is they might have done some filming/interviews for the commentary?

That could be why Oh Nara, Lee Seon Gyun, etc met up as well

And apparently they were served MA themed fortune cookies.

• Like 4