[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Anyeong! And welcome! Yes, please do share more. If you haven't seen it already, please check out our fan page Give Me Slippers, where we're trying to put together all the essays, love poems, and other gems that Soompi (and DC Gallery!) fans have written about the show. 

I agree that international audiences would be far more accepting of the age difference, not having grown up within the hierarchy and social norms.

But I think it's a double standard. Why is the age gap okay in a fantasy setting like Goblin, or a historical drama like Mr Sunshine? But not in a realistic drama like My Ahjussi?

I'm curious, what is the Korean perspective on Dong Hoon's role in Halmoni's funeral? To me, it felt like Dong Hoon was acting like the man of Ji An's family.

There are two groups about age gap.

Goblin, MS also have some controversies in here. First, you have to know that recently Feminism became big social issue in S.Korea. Actually, it is very long and complex story to talk with my short English, but i'll tell you very briefly. I don't know what feminism means in your country. But in here, radical feminism is main stream, hate men, sort of. and I(most of men) can't understand their stand, because feminism is kind of movement to increase women's right, isn't it? But they said old man(30-40 years old) and young woman(20-30 years old)'s love is not right, but old woman and young man's love is OK. It's quite twofold. When they found some drama or movie which out of their opinion, then they just attacked. Such as Goblin and MA. I don't know how it can increase women's right with restricting decision of women, and even it is not reality but just drama.

Of course, there are some people whose not feminist, but think that there is no love line btw DH, JA because of age gap. In this case, well... if they see Goblin, they accept love line of main characters with no problem, because Goblin explicitly shows love and they know it is kind of fantasy. But the case of MA, it is more realistic drama. Before, I told you that age is verrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy important matter in Korea, love btw 10 year gap? WOWWOWOW. what about 20 year gap? Some Koreans never accept that love line. and also DH not explicitly shows love(I didn't think so) with word. So, these things makes some people to think there is no love line, but kind of love of humanity. 

Last funeral scene, yes. DH act chef mourner(is it right? I just find in dictionary), which is the role of the family's oldest son. So, it shows DH became important person in JA's life, obviously.

Sorry to my short English, but I believe you can understand what i'm saying. If you need more explanation, please tell me.

Edited by mymister31
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, mymister31 said:

Last funeral scene, yes. DH act chef mourner(is it right? I just find in dictionary), which is the role of the family's oldest son. So, it shows DH became important person in JA's life, obviously.

Ah yes that is the word I have been looking for. Chief mourner! See, your English is fine. Don't worry, many of us here are not native English speakers.

I think a large part of the show's beauty comes from its subtlety. And Dong Hoon is someone you must understand through his actions, not his words.

aX5MPXo.gif

• Like 11

With so much pressure from korean society I think we should just count our lucky stars and thank the director that he kept it ambiguous. 

I hate to say this but I just can’t get on board with people who don’t see the love line no matter what their reasons are. 

With recent explosion of # metoo and feminism I think some people have warped notion of this movements. How can people not see a beautiful bond between these two souls. 

I also think it’s more to do with casting . LSG might be  less of an hot oppa leading to all this backlash. 

I would love to hear from korean perspective on whether there are any genuine Korean  shippers there who wanted loveline ? 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, t123han said:

I would love to hear from korean perspective on whether there are any genuine Korean  shippers there who wanted loveline ? 

I can't read all of threads in here, because too many :( ... but after read few recent threads(if I didn't misunderstanding), I think some of you misunderstand the atmosphere of DCInside MA gallery. I resides there almost 2-3 months :) .

So, personally I feel that currently there remains 75% of shippers, 10% of no love liners, 15% of trolls whose wants make fight btw shippers and no shippers. Maybe if you're not native Korean speaker, then it is very hard to know the atmosphere of the gallery, because many users just use anonymous ID like 'OO'.

Most of shipper didn't talk about love even already knows, to respect that anyone can have his own perspective. But we can know that there are so many shippers based on detailed reviews that written in perspective of shipper to this day. With a lot of thumbs up!

Edited by mymister31
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, t123han said:

With so much pressure from korean society I think we should just count our lucky stars and thank the director that he kept it ambiguous. 

I hate to say this but I just can’t get on board with people who don’t see the love line no matter what their reasons are. 

With recent explosion of # metoo and feminism I think some people have warped notion of this movements. How can people not see a beautiful bond between these two souls. 

I also think it’s more to do with casting . LSG might be  less of an hot oppa leading to all this backlash. 

If I'm not mistaken, there are posts that talk about this (so sorry, I forget which page or who the posters are).

Will MA receive less backlash if the actor who cast as PDH is someone with widely known handsomeness like Gong Yoo, Jo In Sung or Jung Woo Sung? 

But, if those too handsome actors was cast as PDH I think it will take the "realness" of MA. 

Lee Sun Kyun is perfect as PDH not just because he is !THE VOICE! But also because he has understated charm.

He's your everyday ahjussi, hot enough (for Lee Ji An to feel attracted to) but not too hot (or other female employees will flock around him).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, widala said:

If I'm not mistaken, there are posts that talk about this (so sorry, I forget which page or who the posters are).

Will MA receive less backlash if the actor who cast as PDH is someone with widely known handsomeness like Gong Yoo, Jo In Sung or Jung Woo Sung? 

But, if those too handsome actors was cast as PDH I think it will take the "realness" of MA. 

Lee Sun Kyun is perfect as PDH not just because he is !THE VOICE! But also because he has understated charm.

He's your everyday ahjussi, hot enough (for Lee Ji An to feel attracted to) but not too hot (or other female employees will flock around him).

I can’t think of anyone else in this role . For me LSG is as hot as it gets .. and let’s not talk about that smooth velvety voice  ... :) I became his fan way before MA when I stumbled upon pasta. And I rewatched coffee prince recently just for him !!! 

• Like 8

On 6/22/2018 at 8:41 PM, popai5 said:

I wanted to say to @africandramalover that your research into 'El Condor Pasa' was top-notch. Way to see the little details then look into them more deeply!

Thanks! Things are popping into view as I rewatch the drama. hindsight is 20/20 vision.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:18 AM, sadiesmith said:

@africandramalover, I find it fascinating that only after you felt to have been healed from this drama's crushing weight on your spirit that you could write and share your insights again.  Is this correct? 

I took the mid screening press conference plus the toning down of the "romance" really hard. I was like a rubber band that had been pulled but not released. I had to find a way to release all that tension. I'm good now! I'm helping other poor souls in my WhatsApp group recover from marathoning the drama :D... so many midnight discussions as I drop some knowledge on them from the gems on this forum! lol!

@oldschooler, thanks for the job application wishes!

More on Episode 11

Ki Hoon has been antsy through out the episode because Yoo Ra has not responded to his texts, but from min 38, he descends to Antsy: Petty Level 3. He looks around the bar for an easy target for his anger. His brother Sang Hoon comes into view. Sang Hoon and the other Ahjussis are enjoying the rock snails treat from Jung Hee. Earlier in the day, Sang Hoon had spent time smiling into his phone instead of cleaning up their office. Ki Hoon rags on him about how sloppy he is at work....

Sang Hoon isn't having this! NO WAY! He tells Ki Hoon not to dump on him, and instead go to Yoo Ra instead of looking into his phone for her text messages etc....

Spoiler

35629165_10156087818570412_6267281226818

35757899_10156087818815412_3331343958113

35651022_10156087818955412_5343281023822

Ki Hoon is being his usual erratic and implusive angry self, especially because Sang Hoon is saying the truth. Sang Hoon even notices a tear forming in Ki Hoon's eyes and claims victory for making him cry. Ki Hoon stomps out for a smoke...

He (obviously) doesn't light it. Yoo Ra texts that she's home but heading straight to bed. Ki Hoon huffs and puffs and.... finally runs down the street. As he runs he tells himself, "Go. if you miss her, run over there!".  His ageing Ahjussi bones can't handle it and he hails a taxi.

Why I kept track of this erratic dude is because it had earlier been noted on this forum that Ki Hoon is like the ID (Sang Hoon the Super Ego and Dong Hoon the Ego). I watched his behaviour as an indicator of what Dong Hoon's subconsious REALLY wants to do, and of how DH will behave in later scenes.

Spoiler

The ID is the impulsive and infantile and unconsious part of our psyche. It responds immediately to the instincts. it remains infantile and isn't affected by reality or logic. It operates on the pleasure principle. When the ID achieves its demands, we experience pleasure, when it is denied, we experience "unpleasure".

Sober Dong Hoon is the Ego. The Ego operates according to the reality principle, working out realistic ways of satisfying the ID's demands, often compromising or postponing satisfaction to avoid negative consequences of society. The Ego considers norms and social realities, ettiquette and rules in deciding how to behave. Often, the Ego is weak to the headstrong ID.

Ki Hoon gets to Yoo Ra's apartment, runs up the stairs, finds her puke, cleans it up, then goes in. She's wound up/"crumpled" because she had a horrid day on set. The director ripped her a new one. Ki Hoon listens, and to "straighten her" like they'd agreed, he tells her "I LOVE YOU. She says, " I don't feel straightened out at all”. Ki Hoon leaves and throws the puke he cleaned up in the bin.

Spoiler

35628266_10156087819295412_2250499254638

35805531_10156087819390412_3960587659461

Of course, the confession is real, but KH throws it in as a way to heal Yoo Ra instead of being straightorward.

In another scene, Dong Hoon confronts CEO in the office and punches him. He lets it rip, asking CEO why he told YH about DH knowing about their affair etc.

While watching this part and Dong Hoon's scenes onwards, it dawned on me that Dong Hoon is behaving exactly like Ki Hoon earlier in the episode. He's fighting with the CEO in the office, shouting so loud that everyone on the floor can hear. He's punching DJY when he really wants to square it out with YH and JA. DH goes back to his cubicle and notices that the slippers that were in his drawer are not there any longer. He eyeballs JA in the best way his soft self can, as she drinks coffee at the refreshments area...

NB: At this point, DH had snubbed JA when he found out she took his bribe for her benefit. He then discovers about JAs life and her murder charge,. They have not had a conversation since he snubbed her. They're just orbiting around one another in the office. In the evening, he watches out for her outside the bar as he tries to smoke and look at his phone for her texts.

(After the fight in episode 9, the dynamics have altered slightly. DH is not the one who needs healing, JA is now the one in need.)

In Dong Hoons next scene (around 55:45), he runs up to JA. His inner petty comes out. DH is finally throwing a tantrum. He goes off on her about the slippers.

Spoiler

DH: What did you do with my slippers?

35650151_10156087819445412_6227253153822

JA: I was embarrassed, so I threw them away. I came to my senses when you hit me.

DH: So you threw them away? Am I not good enough to receive slippers from you?

DH: Did I treat you that way?

JA: Would you have worn them? Listen to me carefully. When we get to work tomorrow, fire me in front of everyone. Say that I've been harassing you and that this isn't the first time. Say that in front of everyone. Say that you warned me after I tried to kiss you but I misinterpreted your pity and made another move on you. Tell them everything.

DH: I won't saying anything.

JA: It's true anyway. I mean it. It's going to be uncomfortable working in the same office anyway and it seems like the company wants to get rid of me, so fire me yourself. I have nothing to lose.

DH- I won't! I'm too old to immaturely fire you for liking me and I feel sick thinking about firing you and then ignoring you when we run into each other in the street. I have plenty of people I feel uncomfortable facing. I can't stand to have any more. I can't, because I feel sorry for myself for putting up with people like that............ I'll treat you the way I treat Chief Song and Deputy Kim, without any spite so treat me the same way. And be nice to people. Isn't it basic etiquette to treat people nicely? Why do you act like that? Did someone commit an unforgivable sin against you? I know the other employees didn't treat you nicely. I'll make sure that changes, so do better from now on. I'm going to see you finish your contract term and I'm going to hear that you're doing well at another company. And then in 10 or 20 years when I run into you again I'm going to greet you warmly. I won't avoid you because I feel uncomfortable. I'm going to face you with a smile. Let's do that. I'm begging you. Let's do that.

Then he pokes his finger in her direction and tells her, Buy me another pair of slippers.

I laughed my head off at this love confession. He's so cute, poking his finger in her face like that and stomping off!! hahahaha! JA is left dazed, looking at him.

Spoiler

35850792_10156087832510412_4618922260932

The parallels:

1. KH checking for texts from YR. DH checking for texts from JA, debating how to talk to her.
  2. KH dumping on SH. DH dumping on CEO.
  3. KH running to YR. DH running to JA.
  4. YR wanting to be fired. JA telling DH to fire him the next day.
  5. KH helping YR to deal with her work environment. DH saying that he'll make sure JA is treated better at work and will finish her contract at the firm.
  6. KH confesses to YR. DH confesses to JA.
  7. Earlier in the episode, DH tries to smoke outside the bar while thinking about JA. KH also smokes while thinking about YR.
  8. KH says I Love You, DH says Buy me slippers!!

I’m not sure Writernim had created the three brothers as the three expressions of the human psyche, but it is mindblowing how well they fit! The writer also repeats the actions of one brother in another’s scenes, most importantly being the scene where Dong Hoon is running to JA (the public phone) but stops to take a taxi. That was foreshadowed in this episode with KH running to YR. Hehehehe!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, mymister31 said:

and also DH not explicitly shows love(I didn't think so) with word.

Welcome to the thread! Sooo in your perspective knowing he didnt show his love with words, do you see their relationship romantic or not? Just curious seeing as youre obviously immersed in the culture :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mymister31 said:

I can't read all of threads in here, because too many :( ... but after read few recent threads(if I didn't misunderstanding), I think some of you misunderstand the atmosphere of DCInside MA gallery. I resides there almost 2-3 months :) .

So, personally I feel that currently there remains 75% of shippers, 10% of no love liners, 15% of trolls whose wants make fight btw shippers and no shippers. Maybe if you're not native Korean speaker, then it is very hard to know the atmosphere of the gallery, because many users just use anonymous ID like 'OO'.

Most of shipper didn't talk about love even already knows, to respect that anyone can have his own perspective. But we can know that there are so many shippers based on detailed reviews that written in perspective of shipper to this day. With a lot of thumbs up!

@mymister31, thank you for dropping by and sharing your perspective directly from DCInside MA Gallery.  I am very pleased that there are plenty of posters there who see love all over the place.  And how funny that you have trolls who just like to create trouble.  Hahaha... But I find it troubling that even shippers don't feel like they can openly talk about love out of respect for the people who see no love line?  Even inside the forum they have to be careful just like it is on TV talk shows, etc.?

Do you think if they had cast another actor who is more handsome, they would be more open to accept a love line?  What do they think of Lee Seon Kyun in the role?

• Like 5

Guys am I the only one who sees a weird resemblance between IU and LSK? Idk maybe it's my eyes deceiving me but when I look at them I can't help but think: "hey, why do I see similarities?" . Yeah IU has a very feminine face and LSK has masculine and one might not see it at first glance, but the more I look at them the more I see it :crazy:

Spoiler

Related image

And their noses have crooks on the same place :w00t:

Related image

Image result for lee sun kyun iu

Related image

Pff I can't find a normal pic of IU's side profile, most of them are so photoshopped -_- It was visible in Drama

Anyway, end of my delusional rant :phew:

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

7 minutes ago, ann04 said:

Welcome to the thread! Sooo in your perspective knowing he didnt show his love with words, do you see their relationship romantic or not? Just curious seeing as youre obviously immersed in the culture :)

Personally, I believe myself is not too much restricted on age gap. So, when I first saw this drama, I've never seen a such romantic drama ever. I feel true love in his sentences and actions, even though DH did not speak any of love words.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, anipanch said:

Guys am I the only one who sees a weird resemblance between IU and LSK? Idk maybe it's my eyes deceiving me but when I look at them I can't help but think: "hey, why do I see similarities?" . Yeah IU has a very feminine face and LSK has masculine and one might not see it at first glance, but the more I look at them the more I see it :crazy:

Hide contents

And their noses have crooks on the same place :w00t:

Pff I can't find a normal pic of IU's side profile, most of them are so photoshopped -_- It was visible in Drama

Anyway, end of my delusional rant :phew:

Hahaha... thanks for the laugh this morning.  It's been rather serious here lately.

I never really saw the crook in IU's nose until you pointed it out, but strangely I haven't noticed it even in the drama even when I look.  Yet it is visible in that photo from the last scene. Why would they photoshop that feature out?  It adds so much character to her face.

Fangirl mode: LSK has a really nice side profile.  I especially love his nose.  That's all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, justamom said:

I follow football and I’m really depressed now. I need some straightening out.

(long story but I’ve supported Germany since I was a kid)

Aww so sorry to hear that:mellow: but look on the brighter side, SK won!! SK? My Ahjussi? Lol:lol:

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

@mymister31, thank you for dropping by and sharing your perspective directly from DCInside MA Gallery.  I am very pleased that there are plenty of posters there who see love all over the place.  And how funny that you have trolls who just like to create trouble.  Hahaha... But I find it troubling that even shippers don't feel like they can openly talk about love out of respect for the people who see no love line?  Even inside the forum they have to be careful just like it is on TV talk shows, etc.?

Do you think if they had cast another actor who is more handsome, they would be more open to accept a love line?  What do they think of Lee Seon Kyun in the role?

We saw all of controversies around this drama when on the air. So, the gallery's people became more careful to talk about love. Also there is not closed community. Even inside the forum, people who hate MA can come and write any words without sign up. It makes gallery guys don't want any more controversy, too tired. Maybe it is true reason.

I'm sure that no matter who takes the role of DH, it takes inevitable controversies. 45 man, 21 woman's love.(Age gap is really biiiiiiig issue, moreover MA is a drama with realistic life.) And the title is 'My ajusshi'. Nowadays, 'ajusshi' usually gives quite negative meaning. And the director wants to break a lot of biases in the society and want to talk about life. So, uncomfortable people on this would happen whoever takes the role of DH. LSK did his best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, mymister31 said:

Personally, I believe myself is not too much restricted on age gap. So, when I first saw this drama, I've never seen a such romantic drama ever. I feel true love in his sentences and actions, even though DH did not speak any of love words.

Right there with you. I was so shocked because I didn't expect romance and ended up stumbling onto one of the greatest love stories ever.

56 minutes ago, ann04 said:

Aww so sorry to hear that:mellow: but look on the brighter side, SK won!! SK? My Ahjussi? Lol:lol:

Well on the bright side it means the World Cup is effectively over for me so you might see me a lot more around here. And I have more time to spend on a story starting with C...

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

@justamom saying a bunch of curse words will help to straighten you out. Or if that is not your style then punch a soft pillow (no doors please!). Not into violence? Then you will just have to work on that story starting with 'C'. That will straighten out all of us. (Can't wait to read more)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1