[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

So, I just translated this whopper of a post from DC Inside, which gives a line by line, play by play guide to the ending, transcribing all those lines that were inaudible to many of us! It's got so many GIFs that I decided to post it directly on the fan site and link it here. (Do note that I'm not a native speaker so this translation is not perfect..)

Have a read here! She/he picked up many things that surprised me! It is indeed the kind of scene where you discover something new every time you watch it.

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/my-ahjussi-ending-a-promise-of-more/

@h2ogirl my Korean is certainly not better. But after reading the transcript by DC Inside fans, I caught it too. "14 by American age."  

“He must have gotten a lot bigger. How old is he?”

“Fourteen in American age”

“Oh yeah, he’s in America now?”

“Eo.” (translator’s note: the sound Dong Hoon always makes)

“Wow, you must have to work very hard.”

“I’m torn. Is it better for him to return after finishing junior high, there’s also the issue of the army…”

And I loved how this DC Inside fan called this Dong Hoon's "Mark Darcy smile":wub:

16cafe11.gif

@akhenaten I did ask them for you, thinking you might be wondering. They gave me a very vague response about probably being able to put in subtitles if the target quantity is reached, etc etc. Sorry :( it was so vague I decided not to bother asking again.

@mylovelystar it's an emotion detector/filter. with the % indicating happiness, anger, sadness. And Dong Hoon's reunion smile is 100% haengbok (happiness)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, justamom said:

Dong Hoon (sits down): It's been a long time

Ji An: THE LOOK. 

Jae Chul: Did you know he's been made director?

Ji An: Yes

Jae Chul: Most people wouldn't care if their former boss...

Dong Hoon: She's the one who made it (possible)

Ji An: STARES AT DONG HOON

My caption for Ji An:

1st look: "So that's the story we're going with now? Fine."

2nd look: "I thought we were going to pretend to be strangers??"

Eg9slKu.gif

I looove Sang Hoon, Ki Hoon, and Jung Hee's knowing looks. Might do a compilation of just their looks. :heart:

---

@sadiesmith I love that scene. Dong Hoon is so obvious that he wants to be near her, and not several cars away.

If you leave it to me, you'll get one longa$$ GIF lol. I'm a fan of longer GIFs. ;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, h2ogirl said:

I looove Sang Hoon, Ki Hoon, and Jung Hee's knowing looks. Might do a compilation of just their looks. :heart:

---

@sadiesmith I love that scene. Dong Hoon is so obvious that he wants to be near her, and not several cars away.

If you leave it to me, you'll get one longa$$ GIF lol. I'm a fan of longer GIFs. ;)

Oh, dear resident GIF expert @h2ogirl, please gif away.  There are so many fun ones you can make for all posterity.  Off the top of my head:

1. DH asking mom if she thinks he is pitiful and her asking back if anyone told him that, then his knowing smile

2. Something for this post I made: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/a-lovers-quarrel/

3. the scene where the bar gang first met Ji An retold by @tiger457_stv.  I'll have to dig around for that post.

On 5/6/2018 at 5:26 PM, tiger457_stv said:

The encounter between THE PAIRS and Jung Hee and the Gang in episode 12 is priceless for what is NOT SAID:
Surprise encounter past midnight (last train at around 12 to 12:30 am)  Jung Hee bar closing when they found the PAIR
Friend:  Are you finally here?  We already close shop.
Jung Hee and the Gang looking over the PAIR... what is going on?
Engineer: Uh.. this is an employee, we worked overtime so I'm walking her home
Awkward moment... everyone bowing, Ji-an bow and step backward unsure of what to do.
Jung Hee:  annyeonghaseyo .... (who is she?)
Jung Hee:  I guess Dong Hee work at a place with female employees too... [what are you doing with her past midnight?]
Others: where does she live? behind the school?  That's dangerous you should walk her there.
Big Brother smiling knowingly:  Go ahead we'll wait here
Ji-an uncomfortable: It's okay I'll go myself
Engineer:  No let's go together.
Jung Hee: I like long walk, we'll walk together! ... I want to know more about her.
Others: Yeah lets all go together
PAIR with long faces,  uncomfortable. engineer slightly annoyed.
Jung Hee:  Is that okay, huhuhhh?... [do you have any reason we can't go with you?]
PAIR  Uncomfortable silence... engineer face gets longer.
Jung Hee: Let's go!
Ji-an eyes darting back and forth toward Engineer, not sure what to do.
Jung Hee: I'm excited!   Big Brother: Ear to ear grin.... [Dongsang you rascal, always saying I have nothing to do with the girl!]
Engineer diversion:  Where's Ki Hoon?  Big Brother still smiling: He said he has plans..... [do you have plan too before we caught you?]
Other:  I hate supervisor, they are bad... hey girl you should avoid your supervisor... run when you see him... Ji-an uncomfortable.
Big Brother:  Dong Hoon isn't so bad that people should avoid him!... [yeah, I should know, and you should know too girl]
Others:  all managers are crazy, isn't that right girl?  She said she'd go alone but this crazy manager overreact... Pair uncomfortable.
Big brother ear to ear grin... [yeah dongsang, sure you have nothing to do with her so you insist on walking her home!]
Others: Hey Dong Hoon you cheap skate, you should have paid for her taxi if you made her work overtime... Engineer uncomfortable.
Jung Hee: Is taxi safe?  Other: Is HE safe?  Engineer uncomfortable.
Jung Hee: He's safe.
Engineer annoyed: Stop that now. this is why she refused... [you are making her (and me) uncomfortable.]
Jung Hee:  Dong hoon is safe.  Back then we visited temples for 15 days, staying together but NOTHING happen.
Engineer looks at the sky annoyed.
Jung Hee digs in some more:  Don't things usually happen between a man and woman boarding together?  How is it possible nothing happened?
Engineer sighing with annoyance.
Jung Hee digs in some more:  I'm still fascinated by that... and we were still young (20s) too.
Jung Hee went back and annoyed Engineer some more:  Why did you go all over with me knowing where he stays?
Engineer avoided her by going to the other side of Ji-an:  Why you keep bringing this up?
Jung hee then approach the taciturn Ji-an who is trying to avoid these older people:  Aren't you afraid of becoming old like us?
Ji-an calmly said:  I rather get to your age fast, I bet life won't be so hard.
Then the mood changes, they stop and look at her, realizing that this young girl is quite mature, and sad and has her own life struggle.
silence as everyone think of their own hardship...
at the end Jung Hee: Things were not that easy when we were young either..... Silence.

I found @tiger457_stv hilarious retelling of the scene in which the gang walked Ji An home.  Is it possible to gif this?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

@sadiesmith Noted, fellow crazy MA fan. :P

I was looking at this photo... and noticed that JA is wearing warm socks here. We never see her wearing such warm socks (that cover her ankles) in the entire show (correct me if I'm wrong). Makes me want to believe that this is the winter after JA and DH fatefully reunite... and hook up. The four of them, especially DH and JA, look so intimate. So happy. *happy tears*

SYu9Fpo.jpg

• Like 11

@justamom thanks a lot for translating that post from DC about the last scene. For me it's the most complex moment in the whole series, that needs to be watched with a loop so you don't miss any microelement in JA and DH's face and movements. I'm so excited for the script, hopefully, it will give me a much-needed understanding and see if I could get into the nature of it rightly. Cue to the shameless self-quoting, where I tried to break down the scene and analyze expressions haha

P.S. I gathered all my posts on this thread into a word file, it came out 26 pages :sweatingbullets:

On 5/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, anipanch said:

So days passed and I'm still not getting over the finale, overanalyzing every detail of the last scene. But before I'm gonna start the long description of DH and JA's expressions, I'd like to address few issues that have been cycling around the forum.

I already talked about why JA doesn't love DH with hero-worship and sees him as a man. Now it's DH's turn :D The hints that he doesn't see JA as a daughter or whatever other statuses some people stuck to JA was given to us even in the first episode. For DH, JA was a woman and a beautiful one at that. He is embarrassed to have a meal with her, because what will people see when they see a married man with a young beautiful girl? If he saw JA merely as a child, I don't think he would be bothered, thinking "oh people will just think that I'm having a dinner with my daughter/niece, there's nothing suspicious about us". JA was never a child to him and the only time he referred to her as such was at the end of the series and that was just for emphasizing the fact that there was such a big difference between them but they still managed to become intertwined in every way.

I also want to talk about DH's "love confession". Some think it happened during the hospital scene, when he said "I know you", but for me it was during their last mean. Now, why do I think like that? Let's recall the scene where DH thanks JA saying "she helps me breath", "thank you for being by my side" but adds that if he said it to her face "how would it look like?" Those words hold a lot of meaning to him, he knows it will be more than it is supposed to be for the both of them. But during their last dinner, he says the same and even more to JA, "I was on the verge of death and you saved me" - THIS HERE IS A CONFESSION. He no longer restrains himself and tells her sincerely since he isn't sure when he will see her again. We can actually say that both of them confessed their love in that scene, with JA saying she started truly living after meeting DH. Isn't that beautiful?

And now finally on to the last scene, which I'd like to analyze in details and try to explain DH and JA's expressions. More of JA since I think DH's face was easier to decipher and understand his emotions, than JA's. And I trust both LSK and IU to have conveyed exactly those emotions which the script intrusted them. I'm gonna put it into spoiler since it will become a long post, here we go

Reveal hidden contents

Here we see JA, immediately attracted by DH's voice. She can't help herself but get closer. However, she doesn't call him or make herself known. She hesitates, she's not sure how DH will react to her. What if he doesn't smile at her like he promised her he would if they ever met on the streets. What if after all this time DH no longer needs her in his life? JA looks sad, there's anticipation on her face, she doesn't know what to expect

But finally, DH smiles, he gives his amazing broad smile and relief washes over JA

Moving on to the outside scene. The roles have somehow reversed. JA may have always been a silent person, but when it came to DH she always voiced her feelings. Now she stands shyly while DH even dares to compliment her, "I wouldn't have recognized you even if you walked by" i.e. implying she became even more beautiful and looks more mature and yeah DH no one believes that you wouldn't recognize JA, as if

JA mentions SAMAN EC, that's her way of saying that she never really forgot about DH, she even thought about seeking DH out

Again DH dominates the conversation, inviting JA to come by his office, leaving JA smiling shyly

They stand there, just looking at each other with DH just looking genuinely happy while JA has a hopeful smile on her face, until her co-workers interrupt them and burst their bubble

JA's face changes, there's sadness, it's like she is anticipating something, asking with her expression, "will you just let me go", "is this it?"  

And DH does something he has never done before, he initiates the skinship and asks for a handshake. Now there's definitely a meaning behind it and like someone pointed out here, (shout out to you!), he is asking permission to reenter her life. It's his way of saying, I'm a different person now, I'm ready to accept whatever you want to offer, do you still want me in your life? Can we start it all over? Handshake is a symbol of new beginnings, honestly I can't believe how people can say that after this they won't ever meet up. Not even as friends? are we definitely watching the same show?

And YAY JA eagerly accepts the handshake, which lasts for 30 freaking seconds, leaving imprints of DH's fingers on her hand. DH says thank you. For what? With my interpretation it's "thank you for finding inner strength in yourself, thank you for leaving your past behind and still wanting to come back in my life". 

Finally, at this moment JA is sure that DH still wants her back in his life and this time no longer tries to run away from her, even more he is the one making the first move. And she finally tells him she wants to invite him on dinner and promises to call. It's like we are back to those old dynamics where JA initiated things in their relationship, at this point it's clear that they both may have changed for the better but their relationship has stayed the same. JA feels happier while DH is bashful, smiling like a teenage boy who's crush asked him out on a date. JA is mesmerized by the smile she sees on his face, frozen for a second, not taking her eyes off of him

And it's finally time to part ways, both of them still looking at each other, looking a little hesitant

After turning their backs to each other, DH looks content, happy, last moment we see of him is smiling, looking forward to the future

JA's emotions are more complex, she is sadder at first, when she looks back, she looks melancholic, it's like all those memories of their moments come back all together, her eyes widening a little, realization hitting her that DH still holds the same place in her heart. First, there's determination on her face, then she smiles a little and again the last moment is her determined face, that this time it won't be the same. This time they both can truly be happy

Phew! I'm done! Thanks to everyone who managed to read the whole post from start to finish, let me know what you think of it??

and here's a present to you, a delicious DH/JA oneshot I found on tumblr, rated T, enjoy! http://eatalottransferstudent.tumblr.com/post/174064541907/so-you-dont-like-ahjusshishe-asks-well-i-do

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

And so here I am, trying to slowly wean myself from My Ahjussi (in between rewatches hehehe) and I decided to marathon About Time.  While it's cute and exactly the kind of fluff that allows me to just sit back and be on auto-pilot mode, somehow I felt like there was something lacking.  I mean, fine, Lee Sang Yoon and Lee Sung Kyung are both eye-candy and physically suit each other.  But...but...  They argue and it's cute.  When they start to get serious and fall in love and Lee Sung Kyung's Choi Mi Ka stubbornly tries to push Lee Sang Yoon's Lee Do Ha away because she doesn't want him to die (employing that classic noble idiocy trope), I don't know why I feel so detached.  I like them well enough but...but. 

It's the intensity.  I can't seem to find it.  Despite their tears, their declarations of love, there is no gut-wrenching reaction from me.  And then when I hear Do Ha say words about not knowing how he lived and breathed before Mi Ka came into his life, I can't help but think about Park Dong Hoon when he said Ji An helps him breathe.  And I am gone again.  

Sheesh!  Otteokke????  :confounded:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Can anyone help? 

I've just ridiculously spent the past hour trying to find the following scenes....and decided I'd just ask for help here instead.

Trying to find stills of 

- Park Dong Hoon cleaning the house

- Park Dong Hoon inspecting the tower for cracks

- Park Dong Hoon and Ji An's long walk and talk about internal and external strength...

Can someone point me to the exact episode and approximate timing?

Thanks!!

• Like 3

Hi, guys!

Just want to say thanks for all the posts about My Ahjussi.

I'm a bit late joining My Ahjussi bandwagon because I wait until it finished before bingewatch it.

And I've stopped trying to move on from this drama...

Trying to watch other dramas, but I just ended up comparing them to My Ahjussi...

Sorry, I'm new to this forum, so I'm still learning about quoting, replying and stuff...

Oh, and thank you for putting together My Ahjussi fansite https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/

I shamelessly admit I check the site religiously :grimace:

Edited by widala
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, justamom said:

Can anyone help? 

I've just ridiculously spent the past hour trying to find the following scenes....and decided I'd just ask for help here instead.

Trying to find stills of 

- Park Dong Hoon and Ji An's long walk and talk about internal and external strength...

Thanks!!

Park Dong Hoon inspecting tower for cracks - ep 1 around 48 min 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, justamom said:

Can anyone help? 

Trying to find stills of 

Thanks!!

PDH and LJA talk about internal and external strength, in minute 4 episode 8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yay! Thanks so much @widala and @t123han now I can finally put up @tiger457_stv's post on engineer loving...:lol:

http://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/an-ahjussi-engineers-sarang-hae/

4 hours ago, anipanch said:

P.S. I gathered all my posts on this thread into a word file, it came out 26 pages :sweatingbullets:

I think I would rather not know how many pages my posts amount to :ph34r:

@anipanch you are most welcome to join us and put up some of your posts! sorry if we haven't gotten to yours yet. I definitely want to put up your post on Russian feedback!

@widala welcome! I've seen you around :) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Can anyone help? 

Trying to find stills of 

Thanks!!

Cleaning house:

Ep 10, 38:15 mark

Inspecting buildings (not sure which tower you mean):

• Ep 3, 38:36 mark (inspecting with drone)
  • Ep 8: with LJA and shipper barman - 2 min mark
  • Ep 9: 33 min mark

Let us know if you need stills!

• Like 4

Hello everyone. It's great to see the conversation is still going. I've been over at the DC forum in the meantime and pretty much not trying all that hard to get over MA. Usually I get tired of obsessing within a couple weeks and move on, but here I still am a month later. So I bought the director's cut DVD. 200 whole dollars of my hard earned money. That's a lot more than I usually let myself spend on things like this. But it's the next day and i still don't regret it, so I must have made the right choice. I have a feeling I'll still be as excited to get it in the mail months later as I am right now.

I was just wondering something about the director's cut. Does anyone know if the script will be included with both the DVD and bluray director's cuts or is it only included with the bluray?

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, rellea said:

Hello everyone. It's great to see the conversation is still going. I've been over at the DC forum in the meantime and pretty much not trying all that hard to get over MA. Usually I get tired of obsessing within a couple weeks and move on, but here I still am a month later. So I bought the director's cut DVD. 200 whole dollars of my hard earned money. That's a lot more than I usually let myself spend on things like this. But it's the next day and i still don't regret it, so I must have made the right choice. I have a feeling I'll still be as excited to get it in the mail months later as I am right now.

I was just wondering something about the director's cut. Does anyone know if the script will be included with both the DVD and bluray director's cuts or is it only included with the bluray?

@rellea it's good to see you!!! Your translation was the very first thing that went up on the fan site:

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/09/the-weight-of-what-we-carry/

I've also been hanging out at DC Inside and am flabbergasted at the depth of insights and discussions people are still bringing to the table even today. It's like we're all in some massive withdrawal/denial party.

I'm usually a HUGE football/World Cup fan and it's helping not helping with my withdrawal at all, as evidenced by my activity here. I have a feeling it'll be like Secret Love Affair - it took me six months to stop thinking of it every day, and by the end of that I'd watched it about 30 times.

I had the same question about the DVD version. I asked the My Mister team and this is what they sent me (see linked posts). The specials are going to be exactly the same, but only if you pre-order. If it makes you feel better, I watched a few episodes of My Ahjussi live while I was in Seoul and like I said before, it really felt like a different show. That's also my self-justification for ordering the Bluray :ph34r:

@Joseph Lim thank you so much that video is such a gem. Ah, I miss his voice so much!! Imagine if it was Ji An...

(insert gif of radio silence and Ji An’s wet eyes here)

• Like 5