[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

What can you say about a drama's impact when even the pastor of a Christian church felt compelled to write a blog entry about it?

https://www.blogpastor.net/2018/05/my-mistermy-ajusshi-a-reflection/

My Mister(My Ajusshi): a reflection

couple-2-580x346.jpg

My Mister (My Ajusshi)

I have never written a reflection about a Korean drama series. My Mister (Ahjussi) will be the first because it depicted a painful process, that of a progression from being trapped and lifeless to being a free and breathing human being.

The series has completed its run and I was impressed. It was not a K-drama with the typical motifs: poor girl marries rich man; a lost child (now grown up) meets his or her mother; a hit-and-run accident; two characters initially at odds with each other later falls in love; the rich are arrogant, powerful, and evil while the poor and the common person is kind, resourceful and hardworking.

This drama is a breed apart; it has none of the abovementioned elements. It has qualities about it that viewers will find they can strongly identify with: the brokenness and fragility of the characters and their relationships; the hollowness and sourness of life; the burdens of living up to everybody’s expectations. This is very real and akin to our spiritual journey.

Read the rest here: 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, ccl82 said:

Last night, I re-watched the episode where DH beat up GI. 

As DH was going up the step, you could clearly see he was hesitating. DH also seems to hesitate right before his 'confession' to JA in episode 15.

As you pointed out, they hesitate before each key action. Makes me think, was there ever a point where they did not hesitate? What does that signify?

@ccl82 maybe they know that each action is going to be a point of no return for both of them.  When Dong Hoon initially made that decision to confront Kwang Il, I believe it wasn’t as well-thought out as his other decisions usually are.  He reacted very emotionally after hearing Ji An’s story from Choon Dae.  But he hesitated before going in because the rational side of him was probably asking him what the hell he was doing, to put himself on the line for this young woman.  But then, one of the few times he went against his own better judgment and went in and beat up Kwang Il.  And as he said to his brothers afterwards, he had never felt so alive as he did at that moment.  

• Like 11

@Kappa said: "Yes...It worked out and I am a product of that successful pairing!  Wish we could see an epilogue of My Ahjussi and see them with their "products."

about 40 pages ago this reader expressed the ending that he would like to see: 

The Pair come from different directions and end up at the coffee shop.. they greet each other in restraint manner,  then they both sit down and ask about how each other's day went..  He said work was busy, and that the projects are going well... she said she just came from the volunteer sign language class... bot smiling contentedly.  then Ji-an's phone ring, and she answer the phone.... and told the speaker direction to where they are sitting.   Shortly later the speaker said "here we are"... then the camera panned toward the speaker who turn out to be 5 little rabbits from 3 years old to 10 years old!

Baby rabbit with chocolate stain on her cheek then said "big brother hit me"!  So Ji-an gathered her in her arm, wipe off the chocolate while scolding the eldest young rabbit.

The camera then panned out toward the Ajusshi who lean back in his chair with a smile on his face, sipping his coffee and smile contentedly,  letting  Ji-an settles the household discord.... the END!

In this open ending, no one knows for sure who do the little rabbits belong to?  So the nonshippers should be contented.  the shippers would think those rabbits are related to Ji-an and Ajusshi  and cheer.  and some singer's fan will cheer since their idols did not come within inches of a 45 years old Ajusshi!  The naysayers who did not want the pairing, will be shock, but then realize that contrary to their fear, everything turn out well.. after all they can see the products of the pairing: 5 little rabbits who are normal like any other little rabbit!

Win win ending!...except maybe at the Baksaeng award!

@akhenaten said:"ccl82 maybe they know that each action is going to be a point of no return for both of them.  When Dong Hoon initially made that decision to confront Kwang Il, I believe it wasn’t as well-thought out as his other decisions usually are.  He reacted very emotionally after hearing Ji An’s story from Choon Dae.  But he hesitated before going in because the rational side of him was probably asking him what the hell he was doing, to put himself on the line for this young woman.  But then, one of the few times he went against his own better judgment and went in and beat up Kwang Il.  And as he said to his brothers afterwards, he had never felt so alive as he did at that moment.   "

AJUSSHI is an adult.. he used to fight a lot with his brothers and others in the neighborhood when they were younger, into their early 20s, but then they started to grow older, and realize that fighting is not the way to resolve problems.  So they stopped... So for a 45 years old man to resort to fisty-cuff is not good!  This, probably restraint him... but when young loan shark becomes too unreasonable, his passion overpowers his better judgment.... It is his passion (his anger toward those who hurt Ji-an) that drove him to resort to violence, in spite of his self-control.  In that sense he acts like a Knight...a pathetic one without armor, lance or horse.... worse than Don Quijote!!

but once he taste his own blood from his cracked lip, he feels alive again!... like when he was 20s and did not know better!  Beside he got his revenge for Ji-an.

• LOL 4

Black sunglasses:)

IMG_20180503_195024.jpg

IMG_20180517_202647.jpg

Have no interest to watch new drama  

My Ahjussi proved the hole that's left this drama can't filled up with another on air drama just yet.

So saad missed Jiani and her ahjussi walking and talking.-_-

She does really well to scrub Jian image recently:D busy IU

No interview after MA ended.

She is bussiness women after all-_-

IMG_20180527_105803.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

What can you say about a drama's impact when even the pastor of a Christian church felt compelled to write a blog entry about it?

Haha and of course he saw all the signs that pointed to a marriage redeemed :huh:

But I agree. This is a deeply redemptive story and in that sense, there is a Christ My Savior story in there.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

13 hours ago, arctichare said:

Wow @kerfuffle_95. Your post is incredible. I have nothing else to add. It's just incredible.

This show is going to be the end of me.

@arctichare  I love that picture of LSK and LJE laughing at something the director said.  Apparently, they’re also in sync in real life.  This is really a partnership written in the stars. :)

8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

My Mister(My Ajusshi): a reflection

My Mister (My Ajusshi)

I have never written a reflection about a Korean drama series. My Mister (Ahjussi) will be the first because it depicted a painful process, that of a progression from being trapped and lifeless to being a free and breathing human being.

The series has completed its run and I was impressed. It was not a K-drama with the typical motifs: poor girl marries rich man; a lost child (now grown up) meets his or her mother; a hit-and-run accident; two characters initially at odds with each other later falls in love; the rich are arrogant, powerful, and evil while the poor and the common person is kind, resourceful and hardworking.

This drama is a breed apart; it has none of the abovementioned elements. It has qualities about it that viewers will find they can strongly identify with: the brokenness and fragility of the characters and their relationships; the hollowness and sourness of life; the burdens of living up to everybody’s expectations. This is very real and akin to our spiritual journey.

Read the rest here: 

@sadiesmith I guess he assumed that Dong Hoon’s marriage was saved and he and Yoon Hee managed to get past her infidelity and total and deliberate violation of their marriage vows.  If we look at the ending with our shipper lens off, it can be construed that way because it’s open-ended.  Another genius move of the director and writer, which keeps everyone on both sides of the shipping camp happy. :) I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot and will probably post separately about why I think it can be a possibility.  Of course, that’s regardless of my own personal feelings about it. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9

Happy Monday:). How is everyone doing with their withdrawal symptoms? I am trying to watch Hyori B&B Season 1 for countless times at Netflix to deal with my own symptoms:lol:. The weird and adorkable Lee Jieun from that reality show always cheers me up.  I agree with a lot of posters that My Ajusshi elevated my standards in k-dramas. In my opinion, nothing is good enough anymore after the show ended. I also tried watching About Time but was cringing so much that I need to stop at episode 2. I am staying off k-dramas for a while until the right one  comes along.

13 hours ago, ninaanin said:

This is why I think that to say JA has a hero worship love towards DA is to infantilize and disempowered her, it is to downplay the depth of her character and everything she has battle for, including her independency and autonomy. JA didn’t find a hero in DH, she did find in him, for the first time, a real human being. And that is something so precious to her, that she has to protect him with her whole being. JA didn’t need a hero, but a real human being with his strengths, his fragilities and kindness; someone with who she can rest, share her hardships and learn how to live her humanity to the fully. From JA’s (adult) point of view, it is impossible not to be in love with DH, with him she not only can receive, she can also give. And to be able to give and to receive is to love deeply and fully.   

My apologies for cutting your post short. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that's fine. However, I will never see "hero worship" as a valid argument about Jian's feelings for DH. She knows what she wants and never backs down on it. Jian is written as a strong female character. It is quite insulting to minimize her love for DH as platonic or fatherly figure. Women find true love at different stages of life during childhood, high school, and older adult years. For Jian, she found that right person for her at the age of 21. She is not that young anymore compared to all other literary heroines in the last 20th century. Some people say that she will find another person after DH. I say not likely. DH is her other half. She waited 30,000 years for him. Do we still  think that she will move on and stay away from him permanently after the time jump? Pfft! one full year is such a short time:) for someone like Jian.

The show ended with a pending date between them. For the sake of argument: how many possible dates can two people have before deciding  they are meant to be together? the answer varies but for some people out there with great love stories, everything started with just one date. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

@arctichare  I love that picture of LSK and LJE laughing at something the director said.  Apparently, they’re also in sync in real life.  This is really a partnership written in the stars. :)

@sadiesmith I guess he assumed that Dong Hoon’s marriage was saved and he and Yoon Hee managed to get past her infidelity and total and deliberate violation of their marriage vows.  If we look at the ending with our shipper lens off, it can be construed that way because it’s open-ended.  Another genius move of the director and writer, which keeps everyone on both sides of the shipping camp happy. :) I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot and will probably post separately about why I think it can be a possibility.  Of course, that’s regardless of my own personal feelings about it. 

Please post.  I am really curious if a strong case can be made for reconciliation of that marriage without ignoring all the little details planted by the director.

• Like 2

I like the post by the pastor and I agree that this drama does make us question the ways of living life in a materialistic society, the norms we have adapted to, often we see dong Hoon questioning himself about why he's living the life sentence, almost forcefully. So when yura says we are inclined to only talk about success and look at failure as embarrassment, it is the harsh reality that the drama addresses. So in that sense the pastor is right. This drama is about saving people, about redemption. 

But that marriage? It's not rescued. I have no doubts about it anymore. Thanks to @justamom for the answer to the pastor haha. I don't get frustrated when the show is misconceived, even the subtitles are messed up, but it is kind of disappointing that people miss the important details. But still what's important that at least 60-70% of the message is understood and appreciated by people. That's quite an achievement no doubt. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nearsea said:

But that marriage? It's not rescued. I have no doubts about it anymore. Thanks to @justamom for the answer to the pastor haha. I don't get frustrated when the show is misconceived, even the subtitles are messed up, but it is kind of disappointing that people miss the important details. But still what's important that at least 60-70% of the message is understood and appreciated by people. That's quite an achievement no doubt. 

Haha! I'm not Christian, is it rude to question a pastor like that? :ph34r:

They may still be married. But their marriage is beyond irrecoverable. (That's the basis of my fanfic as well)

@Joseph Lim Thanks!! I believe that's how she was able to convey Lee Ji An with so much emotional depth. You can see the sorrow in the depths of her soul in those scenes.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

Hahaha... This blogger is rather pissed with the open endinghttp://www.kdramalove.com/MyMister.html

My Mister aka My Ahjussi
나의 아저씨 
tvN (2018) 16 Episodes
Melodrama, Grade: A
Korean Drama Review by Jill, USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a warning about end spoilers before I start. I hardly ever give those away in my reviews of Korean dramas, allowing you to discover them for yourselves. However, in this case there is no way I can explain why this otherwise excellent and addictive Korean melodrama My Mister aka My Ahjussi(2018) ended up receiving an A grade instead of an A+ grade from me unless I refer to the ending of this drama, which I felt was one of those "open endings" that I dislike so much, that offer no real closure for characters (or the audience for that matter!). 

I usually don't mind either happy or sad endings, but the open ending ones that leave loose ends unfulfilled drive me up the wall because an excellent writer should be able to write a 16 episode drama without leaving any guesswork for the audience to struggle with at the conclusion of the story. Otherwise the entire drama ends up being not much more than one giant tease. You expect certain characters to come together ... and then they don't. All the great writers throughout history have written us satisfying, conclusive endings with our main questions answered: why on earth do Korean drama writers keep falling for that old tired plot device of leaving endings open, ostensibly for sequels that 9 times out of 10 never come? They really need to stop doing this!
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

@sadiesmith thanks for sharing that blog review, she sure seems mad haha XD but her feeling are surely subjective, she judges from solely shipper's perspective, who's dissapointed that we didn't get hot make-out sessions of DH and JA :lol:

While I understand where she's coming from and her complaints about the show ending, I can't agree with her about the 1 year time skip being lazy writing. It was essential to the characters. They needed time for themselves, to heal themselves. I believe a person who's not comfortable with their own self can't make another person happy. Same goes for JA and DH, neither of them were in a place to actually start some kind of relationship, there was so much to sort out in themselves. Also how could the writer explore the 1 year time skip?? They would need at least 2 episodes to actually show us how their lives went to keep up with a high level writing.

And I agree, the ending would seem lazy writing to anyone who doesn't like looking deeper into things and prefers everything out in the light, I'm afraid it's the case with this blogger XD

however I still can't decide if the open ending was initially decided or a result of the production team giving in to the pressure of the public. I honestly think, one kiss in the end wouldn't enrage people in S. Korea, especially judging by how much love and praise it received after the audience decided to give it a chance and acknowledging the beauty of the writing and acting

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

“TvN My Mister is #1 in Content Power Index for the third week of May, MBC King of Mask Singer is 2nd and MBC Come And Hug Me is 3rd.”

Source

https://twitter.com/iubiscuit/status/1000995445580161024

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=117&aid=0003054921&lfrom=twitter

Source http://news.nate.com/view/20180528n26838

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the blog link @sadiesmith. Haha my immediate reaction after watching episode 16 was just like her so I don't blame her actually. And @anipanch probably you are right, the open ending possibly happened due to the pressure from audience and maybe from the higher officials as well to not to do anything that will affect the rating. So I agree with the blogger that it's kind of disappointing. :/ And yes Jane Austen would never be my favourite author if persuasion didn't end the way it ended. Same goes for Jane Eyre. And let's face it, the expectation was indeed high. 

Anyhow, still this gives me much joy that there are some who could clearly see the attraction between them and didn't misconceive it as fatherly love. :D And I love the fact that that she was hoping for some kisses. I didn't dare to hope that much haha. And she definitely needs to read the in-depth theories and explanations here, would help her feel better lol.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

She has Ji-an on her iPhone case:glasses:

uKzke9z.jpg

Source IU's Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dlwlrma/

4 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Happy Monday:). How is everyone doing with their withdrawal symptoms? I am trying to watch Hyori B&B Season 1 for countless times at Netflix to deal with my own symptoms:lol:. The weird and adorkable Lee Jieun from that reality show always cheers me up.  

Ohhh am watching Hyori B&B Season 1 again:lol:

• Like 10