[Drama 2017] Confession Couple / Go Back Spouses, 고백부부

0ly40

Basically he gives a summary of the drama. Eh. Why don't people just watch the drama then.

After that, he comes to understand how father's think and basically becomes this:

54 minutes ago, rubie said:

"It is a story about family. Ban-do overlaps with our fathers you see around. Taking on the role, I happened to understand what fathers are. Like him, my father has neither said a word on what he has to deal with in his work place. He might have thought that if he looks weak, the whole family might crumble." 

About SeoJin, because he really came to think of SeoJin as his child and got really close, whenever he can't see SeoJin, his heart hurts. And he loved SeoJin like his parents loved him and now understand his parents' love better.

Back then when he first worked with Jang Nara, they were really awkward but it got better over time. 

And he's working towards another better production and acting and so on. 

It was a really standard interview, nothing much interesting about it.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some translated bits from NG interviews 

To read the whole article click on the source - http://jjangkiyong.tumblr.com/

Sorry not everyone can rock the yellow BAHAHAHA! Just personnal preference I guess. :tongue:

Spoiler

tumblr_p00yz8giEy1t55b9yo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p00yz8giEy1t55b9yo2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_p00syi7zx51qeng3j_500.jpg

He also said “During the filming, Jang Nara always said ‘I’m an old lady’, and whenever she said that, I wondered ‘Why would she say something like that? She’s so beautiful….’. When I looked into her eyes, my heart just fluttered naturally. I forgot about her age and the age gap between us. I look so much older than her instead. She doesn’t look like she’s older than me, she looks more like a same-age friend or even a younger sister.”

tumblr_inline_p00l9hH1wO1qeng3j_500.jpg

Moreover, he stated “I liked this Jung Nam Gil character so much that I had a lot of greed since the audition stage. I told myself I really had to get this role so I prepared so many things, took acting lessons and analyzed the character. During the filming, I was really nervous and there was a lot of things that made me worried because I’m the youngest person there with the least experience.” as he recalled that time.

He confessed, “In the beginning of the filming I had no confidence, but I had the chance to talk with the director and Jang Nara in the middle of it. Namgil character is a senior who looks confident but I lacked the energy. Seeing that, the director and Nara noona called me over and both of them simultaneously said ’Just trust us, let’s go.’ to me. Those words changed me. I lifted my shoulder up again while thinking ’Why should I be nervous? I just need to trust these people’. For the first time, I felt like I belonged to this team. Since that, I went to the filming site with a fluttering heart.”

Lol cutey Ki Yong

"Saying that his most favored love scene in the drama was when he confessed his feelings for Ma Jin-joo, played by actress Jang, he added that shooting a romantic scene with Jang was “easy” because she is so lovely. “Although Jang is older than me, I didn’t feel it. Looking at her lovely big and round eyes, anyone would have romantic feelings,” he said. “To better immerse myself in the character that has a crush on Ma, I printed out two pretty photos (four in another interview) of Jang and put one next to the living room television and the other on the wall at my house’s entrance. I thought about her while relaxing and again whenever I stepped out of the house. Such image training helped me a lot.”

“The purpose of me doing it was so that I could always see her face. Only then, I could cherish the image of first love well. Come to think of it, I think I did the right thing. They’re still attached there until now. I won’t remove them until the day I move out.” He continued, “When I look at those photos now, they bring back all the feels when I was preparing myself for the drama. That feeling of just wanting to do a good job…. That’s why I don’t think I’ll be able to remove them” he confessed.

I just binge watched this show this past weekend and I enjoyed it so much. I remember reading comments about this show periodically and I saw so many sentiments about how “terrible” Ban Do was and i’m kind of at a loss to understand what was there to dislike. The guy was through and through a real depiction of life. When he wanted to avoid getting involved again with Jin Joo, it was perfectly understandable because of the hurtful words they had said to each other about wishing that they had never met each other. That’s one of the worse things spouses can say to each other and then follow it up with divorce.

So right away I got both sides and it was thoroughly enjoyable for me to watch these two people come to a realization about all the mistakes they made, all the misunderstandings, all they took for granted in their relationship and all the sweet times they had forgotten. This story totally resonated with me because this is life. There is no such thing as being happy all the time with your spouse. People have to work at their marriage to keep it healthy. I’m glad they worked it out in the end especially when I think of how many years they waited for Seo Jin to come along and almost lost that blessing in the past. 

Jang Nara Opens Up About The Success Of “Go Back Couple”

Jang-Nara.jpg

Jang Nara recently starred in the KBS2 drama “Go Back Couple” as a mother, wife, and daughter who got to timeslip back to her college years to live out her glory days one more time.

Although Jang Nara has been acting for 17 years, she chose “Go Back Couple” as her life’s best work and listed the outstanding script, hard-working staff, and close-knit cast as some of her reasons.

Jang Nara said, “The emotions I felt while acting disappear after filming and don’t linger. Perhaps it’s because my life isn’t fun and I don’t want to compare my life to my character’s. However, after ‘Go Back Couple’ ended, I suffered for a few days. Many fans talked about an extension, but I think I would’ve been upset even if we did 20 episodes.”

Her character, Ma Jin Joo, drew sympathy and tears from viewers who drew parallels with the exhausted mom of a young daughter, sad wife of a busy husband, and lonely daughter whose mom passed away.

The actress stated, “I feel thankful when I hear that people were consoled and sympathized with the drama,” and revealed she talked a lot with the director and read parenting message boards to draw inspiration for her character.

Although “Go Back Couple” was described as a “variety drama,” the second half of its run made viewers cry as Ma Jin Joo went back in time and got to spend time with her mom, who passed away in present-time, and missed her baby daughter, as she time-slipped into the past.

“Everything was perfect about the scene where Jin Joo cries and takes a photo of a baby’s feet on the bus. She’s a mom who misses her baby, and Nam Gil (Jang Ki Yong) is understanding of her. However, I was feeling stressed due to personal matters and couldn’t focus. The director said to me, ‘I trust you so please trust me.’ When I watched that scene, I saw that he had kept his promise. I cried while filming and cried while watching. Oddly enough, I am very lucky in meeting a great cast and staff,” revealed Jang Nara.

Despite being in the industry for almost two decades, the actress also shared that acting is still difficult for her. “I still don’t think I know what acting is,” and explained, “Every time I start a line, it feels like the first time. The entire time I’m saying my line, I feel like my heart is going to burst.”

Jang Nara described herself as “a boring, average person” who only becomes special when she works. As for the kind of actress she wants to become, she stated, “I want to continue giving happiness, consolation, and sympathy.”

cr: soompi

Here's how Go Back Couple helped Jang Na Ra regain her confidence

95e56326-5d0d-4b04-9d9c-7c702954cae1.jpg

Actress Jang Na Ra swears her latest drama Go Back Couple was the best show of her life, and here’s why. “This show is so special to me, because it helped me regain confidence in acting,” the actress told News1.

Jang Na Ra shouldn't be one to feel insecure about her craft. Even before Go Back Couple, she entertained us with dramas like One More Happy Ending (2016), I Remember You(2015), and Mr. Baek (2014). Actually, she’s been filming dramas since 1998 and has a whopping record of 23 dramas under her belt. And that’s not even counting the children's plays she starred in.

Jang says she wasn’t particularly feeling at her best when she started Go Back Couple. She elaborated, “I started filming Go Back Couple after the last tiny piece of confidence in me had been broken. Before then, I thought I could act to a certain point if I did my best. But one day my confidence shattered. I felt like I had nothing left after that. I received the Go Back Couple script while contemplating what to do next. I was surprised that the script was so funny.”

Jang says director Ha Byung Hoon of Go Back Couple played a huge part in assisting her feel confident again in acting. She said, “Even while filming, I wasn’t myself. I couldn’t focus because of high stress. Director Ha told me to trust him. I’ve had people tell me that, but they didn’t keep their word. But when I saw the first edits of Go Back Couple, I realized that he tells people to trust him, and he makes people trust him. He believed in me too. Go Back Couple is so meaningful to me. It means the world to me.”

In the interview, Jang also talked about the many crying scenes of Go Back Couple. She said, “I knew there were a lot of crying scenes in the beginning, but I didn’t know they would continue throughout the show. I cried so much and couldn’t sleep much so that my face, in addition to my eyes, started to swell.”

When asked whether she'd want to time travel to the past like in the show, she answered no. She explained, “I’ve had enough. I like it now. Of course, I like what happens in the drama, because (going back) makes you reevaluate your values. My thoughts have changed too. I used to try not to regret, but I was just being arrogant. It wasn’t that I didn’t regret, I’d blocked myself from feeling that way. I started to see the past differently.”

cr: dramafever.com

Actress Jang Nara on her drama 'Confession Couple,' marriage

The Korean TV drama "Confession Couple" ended its run on November 18 but its lead actress, Jang Nara, said she's still remembering her character.

In the time-travel drama, Jang Nara played Ma Jin Joo, who is married to Choi Ban Do, played by actor Son Ho-jun. The couple is on the brink of getting a divorce and they travel back in time when they were university students.

"At home, I cried a lot, thinking about the drama and drinking beer, even though I am a poor drinker," Jang Nara told Yonhap News. "I've never experienced this kind of feelings before. But with this drama, I can't just stop thinking about it. I feel as if the characters were real and were living in a different world somewhere."

When asked about marriage in real life, the actress explained that "it is not like I don't want to marry. It is just out of my control. If I am destined to marry, I will. If not, what can I do about it?" she said.

She added that if she could meet someone like the character Choi Ban-do, "or someone who is only half as nice as he is, I would do everything to marry him."

Jang Nara praised her co-star, saying. "I am grateful that he did amazing in the drama."

She is 36 years old but she's able to play younger roles, thanks to her youthful looks.

"I think I can look young because the colleagues on the set who are younger than me treated me as their friend, wife and first love. To be honest, Ho-jun has much smoother skin than I do," she added.

She said she was happy to essay the role, explaining, "People at my age can relate to her and her story. It was a great decision to be part of the drama."

cr: http://www.ibtimes.sg/actress-jang-nara-her-drama-confession-couple-marriage-20586

Spoiler

Go Back Couple Korean Drama Review

Posted on November 29, 2017by Kay

go-back-couple-son-ho-jun-and-jang-na-ra

Go Back Couple (also known as Go Back Spouses) tells the story of a husband (Son Ho Jun) and wife (Jang Na Ra) that have been beaten down by life and regret getting married. But they get a second chance at love when they are both transported back in time to their college years.

Go Back Couple was such a special drama. It offers a truly moving commentary on what love and relationships look like as well as how life doesn’t always turn out like we had imagined. It delivers a poignant story that I found both warm and heartachingly real. At the same time it mixed in humor, retro 90’s fun, and plenty of joy to balance things out.

go-back-couple-jang-na-ra-12.jpg?w=448&h

Jang Na Ra plays Ma Jin Joo. In the present day, she is a housewife and mother who finds herself struggling day to day. She feels alone and like her husband isn’t there for her and doesn’t understand.

Going back to her college years allows her to rediscover her bright personality and see what a special person she really is. Jang Na Ra was absolutely perfect for this role. She’s endearing, adorable, and feisty. I love her so much!

go-back-couple-son-ho-jun-24.jpg?w=452&h

Son Ho Jun is Jin Joo’s husband Choi Ban Do. He’s devoted his life to his job in order to take care of his family. But he is frequently looked down upon and finds himself having to do things he has no desire to do. This has left him unhappy and feeling unappreciated.

For him, going back to his college years is liberating as he finds himself free of the responsibility and shackles that were tying him down. He’s ready to live the carefree life. But he discovers that requires giving up some very important things that he didn’t realize just how much he needed.

This was my first time seeing Son Ho Jun, and I really liked him. He fit the role perfectly by being a good mixture of being a bit inconsiderate yet also being sympathetic. He was a fun character, and I loved watching him grow.

go-back-couple-jang-ki-yong-2.jpg?w=300& go-back-couple-go-bo-gyeol-4.jpg?w=300&h

We have our main couple’s first loves in the mix when they go back in time. Nam Gil (Jang Ki Yong) is the handsome and popular man who has feelings for Jin Joo.

Seo Young (Go Bo Gyeol) is Ban Do’s first love who he was never able to properly confess to and date. They give Jin Joo and Ban Do the chance to explore what might have been.

go-back-couple-han-bo-reum-and-cho-hye-j go-back-couple-heo-jung-min-and-lee-yi-k

Then there’s our wonderful group of friends: Bo Reum (Han Bo Reum), Seol (Cho Hye Jung), Jae Woo (Heo Jung Min), and Dok Jae (Lee Yi Kyung). This is a very fun and quirky group, but they are good friends to our couple and they are an important support for them. They also offer some fun side stories as they embark on their own relationship journeys.

Go Back Couple really was such a refreshing and heartwarming drama. Unlike most romantic comedies, it starts with our couple already married. Having been together for many years, they are both very unhappy. They are disappointed with their lives and take each other for granted while being unable to see the pain their spouse is suffering. This ultimately leads to divorce.

go-back-couple-son-ho-jun-11.jpg?w=300&h go-back-couple-jang-na-ra-25.jpg?w=300&hgo-back-couple-son-ho-jun-17.jpg?w=300&h go-back-couple-jang-na-ra-7.jpg?w=300&h=

That all changes when the pair suddenly wake up 18 years in their past during their college years. After getting past the initial shock, they are both quite thrilled to be young and single again. The drama then begins to really explore what love looks like.

After being with a partner for years, it’s common to take them for granted and to lose sight of what made you first fall in love. People think of what their life could have been and may even dream of first loves of long ago.

go-back-couple-song-ho-jun-jang-na-ra-ja

Ban Do and Jin Joo get the opportunity to go back and change things. Not wanting anything to do with each other, they each pursue relationships with their first loves. Of course, while it may be fun for a while, eventually the life knowledge they have changes their perspective on many things.

While there’s a freedom and joy that comes from youth, there’s also a lack of understanding and knowledge of how things change throughout life. Ban Do and Jin Joo can see where certain choices will lead them and their friends. But many times there’s a wall between them and their friends who simply don’t have the same life experience.

go-back-couple-son-ho-jun-and-jang-na-ra go-back-couple-son-ho-jun-and-jang-na-ra

And while Ban Do and Jin Joo have a lot of dislike towards each other, their trip to the past gives them each the chance to be reminded of why they first fell in love. By removing all of life’s stresses and hardships that have beaten them down, they see each other in a new light.

I truly loved seeing this couple grow throughout the drama. They had a new appreciation for life and eventually also for each other. Despite their difficult situation, these two know each other in a way that only long time partners do.

go-back-couple-son-ho-jun-and-jang-na-rago-back-couple-son-ho-jun-and-jang-na-ra

I was brought to tears so many times as I watched their relationship falling apart and then slowly getting put back together. Those moments of remembrance and appreciation that developed were so heartfelt. My heart ached with them as they struggled through disappointment and unhappiness. Then seeing that underneath all that was still an ember of love that just needed to be ignited.

And while the pair certainly needed to be reminded of what it was like to feel the freedom and excitement of youth, it was the realization that true love is more than that initial flutter of attraction that made all of the difference. It’s being a support for your partner, knowing them better than anyone else, putting their needs above yours, but at the same time being honest about your needs so they can support you.

Go Back Couple moved me on so many levels. It made me laugh and smile and also made me cry more times than I can count. It was such a beautiful examination of what love is and that it is something we should make every effort to hold onto.

My Rating: 8.5/10

cr: kdramakisses.com/2017/11/29/go-back-couple-korean-drama-review/

Drama Review “Go Back Couple”: Springtime Returns

0000.jpgHello and welcome to my review for “Go Back Couple” the drama about a divorced couple whose wish for a second chance became true and they get thrown back in time. To when they were just in the spring of their life, 20-year-old university students. Is this just your typical of the mill time travel drama? Read on to find out. And don’t worry. This review is spoiler-free, but choke full with my opinion. Enjoy!

The Good

The story backdrop

When the news came out, I’m sure a couple of you also thought, “Not another time travel drama”. But, “Go Back Couple” is presenting us with a rare angle for a drama. The middle-aged divorcees. Choi Ban Do (Son Ho Jun) and Ma Jin Joo (Jang Na Ra) have been together for 18 years. To say that they are struggling in their marriage would be an understatement. They started to despise each other a long time ago. Ban Do is overworked and unhappy in his job as a pharmaceutical salesman. He doesn’t receive any respect at work and is being treated like a dog. At home, Ma Jin Joo doesn’t offer him any warmth either as she is also struggling with feelings of having wasted her future for a loveless and lonely life. After their feelings boil over, they decide to divorce. Isn’t it better to rather live separately then being unimaginable unhappy together?

Both characters felt way more relatable than the typical time-travel hero who wants to save his first love. It was also more interesting to watch how they interact with the past and start to change things they don’t like. Which leads us to the next point.

Ahjumma and Ahjussie being youngsters again

This was one of my favorite things about this drama. When you’re almost in your 40s, you know the game. Gone are the times of being too afraid to ask out your crush. Most things don’t embarrass you anymore. You have a more laid back attitude to life. Which both Choi Ban Do and Ma Jin Joo express. Which leads to a certain type of comedic entertainment, comedic for the viewers and also for the characters themselves, who view their friends and even their older siblings as young kids fooling around. Them lecturing their ‘elders’ (older in the sense of a couple of years), even lecturing their parents or talking on the same level of politeness with their teachers was hilarious to watch.

The story and character development

The character development was luckily going steady as especially in the beginning, both leads were so vile and despicable, I didn’t root for them. At all. But once back in the past, Choi Ban Do and Ma Jin Joo decide to give their lives a makeover. Now they finally can be who they want to be and don’t have to end up with their ex anymore. They start to reinvent themselves. But while doing so, they also start to uncover truths about themselves and face their own regrets. Their own bitterness. And slowly, they start to dissect what and when their relationship went wrong. They also start to rediscover who they are as a person. Both of them left behind their own ambitions to become a wife/husband/parent. I really loved how we slowly peeled away layer after layer in the character development and in the story. It felt honest and once again relatable.

The story anchor

Being young again has a lot of pros. You can become rich. Invest in Apple now! Want to marry the guy who will become rich and famous? You already know who he is! You could even start your own company in a sector which will boom in the future. You can finally live the life you always wanted. Who wouldn’t? So what would make our “Go Back Couple” even consider to return back to their own time? Choi Seo Jin (The video below only shows the one picture and features the title song of “Go Back Couple”. If you listen to it, you can sense the feeling this drama emits).

The Epilogues

I loved the epilogues. They were a clever way to introduce some extra story. Sometimes they’d show what happened in the real timeline. Sometimes it’d be some extra information from the future or about the characters. It felt like a little extra treat after the drama.

The meh

The ending left me a bit unsatisfied.

To me, the wrapping up of the story felt rushed. We only spent around 10 minutes on the actual ending and that left a lot to desire. I wouldn’t even need a more detailed explanation for the time travel (even though that came truly out of the left field, but was hilarious), rather I’d like to know more about the future of the characters.

The sisters

Ma Jin Joo and Choi Ban Do both have a sister. Sadly, they only appear when it is plot necessary. I would have wished for them to appear a bit more. Especially in one crucial scene with Ma Jin Joo, it left me baffled that her sister wasn’t there.

Go Dok Jae…

I feel bad for actor Lee Yi Kyung, but I really couldn’t stand his character most of the time. He was the living comic relief, but I found him rather obnoxious than funny and I didn’t mind when he wasn’t around.

Final Thoughts

I think “Go Back Couple” will resonate with a lot of viewers. This drama talks about so many different important topics that it’s difficult to just put it into a box and say what it is about. But for me, it was about life. The fleetingness of it. The ties we have to the people around us and that we should try to understand them and cherish them, as they could be gone the next moment. Cherish every day to its fullest. Have dreams and fulfill them. It is an entertaining way to remind us of what is important in life.

And a heartbreaking way. This drama has a high tearing up and cry rate. Even while writing this review I was spontaneously tearing up. If you don’t mind the destruction of countless tissue boxes, go ahead and watch “Go Back Couple”. I’m sure you won’t regret it!

Thank you for reading. Let me know in the comments down below what you thought of “Go Back Couple” or if you plan to watch it.

Read you soon,

Ivy

cr: lovethydrama.wordpress.com/2017/11/22/drama-review-go-back-couple-springtime-returns/

Spoiler

go back couple: review ✿

d43eba5c9d455dda8ca11d76d0c640f6524a96b5_hq.jpg

today i am blogging my review of the kdrama that just ended: go back couple!

this is my first time reviewing a drama so i hope i do it well and can be as informative as possible!

the only spoilers will be from the first episode so if you would still like to watch you can continue to read the blog with no problems!

okay let’s get started!

Full review: https://k-drama.aminoapps.com/page/blog/go-back-couple-review/o3Gt_duqD7eMJ2w107nQjnJV0d2XpxK

December 2, 2017

Actor Jang Na-ra is all cried out :

In ‘Confession Couple,’ veteran performer plays a role loved by housewives

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

01213702.jpg
[NEWS1]

Jang Na-ra has been a chameleon in the entertainment industry since her debut 18 years ago. She was a pop star on stage and a cute actor on small and large screens in the early 2000s. 

Recently, Jang found a new direction for her career. In “Confession Couple,” Jang plays a housewife in her late 30s who travels back in time to become a college student again. She said this is the show her fans will remember most. 

“Personally, I think this drama has become my lifetime achievement so far,” said Jang in an interview with Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily. “This drama definitely left a trace in my mind.”

The character Ma Jin-ju has certainly got a response from audiences, especially housewives. The show emphasizes how important it is to have constant conversations with family to understand each other. Here are excerpts from the interview. 

Q. “Confession Couple” was very popular among housewives. Did you feel their excitement?

A. I felt thankful when I heard the show touched them in such a way that they were consoled. Since I am not a housewife myself, I cannot understand my character 100 percent. Their sympathy with the show is amazing. 

You are not married yourself. How did you summon such heart-aching emotions?

There were many situations I didn’t know personally, so I asked the director about many things I couldn’t understand. I guess he got scolded a lot by his wife (laughs). I also read many posts online that have stories of childrearing. 

Did the show make you want to get married?

I did think that it would be nice to get married. But that thought often changes as well. This is something that I simply can’t do whatever I want, so I [gave up] (laughs). I am not like someone who is against getting married. I wanted to get married, have kids, and form a family of my own. But I feel like I missed that chance. 

What is your ideal type of man?

Someone who doesn’t lie, doesn’t do pranks with words, and someone who can accept someone else’s heart. I am very strict about what I like and what I don’t like. 

You cried in almost every show. Did you cry when you were watching the show?

I cried so much [when filming]. My face looked like a round loaf of bread and I was almost ashamed to look at my own face. There weren’t so many stories that could have been told without tears since my character had to say goodbye to everyone when she was coming back from the past to the present. I don’t cry much in real life but I cried watching two scenes. 

What are those?

The scene in which I miss the child I left behind in the present so I start to draw the shape of the child’s foot. The other was the scene in which I go traveling with friends when I was in the past. I was thinking, “How could I leave these precious friends and go back to the present.” I can still picture that image of them together. 

Do you usually get out of the character quickly after filming is done?

All the emotions go away as I leave work. I try hard not to keep the feelings alive for too long. I think it is not good to live my character’s life too long instead of living my own. 

Wasn’t it difficult for you to act a character in her 20s and act like you were friends with younger actors?

[Whether you look younger or not] didn’t matter at all. My fellow actors showed [that they wanted to] take care of my character Jin-ju. Thanks to their serious acting, I looked like I blended in naturally.

I think this is a stereotype to think that actors in their early 20s must play characters in their 20s and people in their 30s do characters in their 30s. Drama isn’t non-fiction. There should not be any restrictions. 

How do you feel about being in the entertainment industry for 18 years?

Acting is still difficult. I feel like my heart will burst every time I read scripts. 

What was it like to be called a popular young star when you debuted?

That was the time when I didn’t know if I could make my dream come true. It was difficult as I was checking out what adults might think. I was sick back then and couldn’t sleep much. That’s why I like who I am now. At least I know now what I am doing. 

Do you get embarrassed when someone gives you a compliment?

I know myself well. I am not someone driven much by strong beliefs and I am not someone cool. I am very ordinary and not fun. I think I only become special when I work. I don’t think I am underestimating myself. That’s just me. I wish I were fun like comedian Shin Dong-yeop. Is that too much to expect? (laughs).

What’s the secret to being in the industry for long?

I didn’t know much so I just worked hard. I didn’t try to become something big, but maybe my trying to do small things could be the reason why I am where I am now. I try to use my genuine feelings when acting. I hope I can play a role that can again console the audience and give them some joy. That’s how I give my life value. My job is to deliver happiness. I want to continue to be such an actor. 

BY LEE MI-HYUN [summerlee@joongang.co.kr]

Not sure if this article have been posted here.

November 26, 2017

[INTERVIEW] Model-turned actor becomes TV heartthrob

Jang Ki-yong wins viewers' hearts with ‘Couple on the Backtrack'

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

main(244).jpg

Actor Jang Ki-yong poses during an interview with The Korea Times on the recently ended KBS TV's romantic comedy "Couple on the Backtrack" at a cafe in Seoul, Friday. / Courtesy of YG Entertainment

Jang Ki-yong, a model-turned actor, has been one of the biggest surprises of the recently ended romantic comedy "Couple on the Backtrack."

Portraying a university senior Jung Nam-gil, who is interested in lead actress Jang Nara's character, and showed many heart-fluttering romantic scenes, the 25-year-old main supporting actor has gained instant attention from viewers and is being touted as a hot new rising star.

"I feel the drama's popularity. Before, only a few fans in their 20s recognized me, but while shooting the drama, people in their 40s, 50s and over I see at the sites come and say they love watching my role in the drama. I felt great responsibility at the same time," said Jang, revealing how much he owes to the drama during an interview with The Korea Times at a cafe in Seoul, Friday. "My brother and I, after I was cast for the role, had dinner and told each other that it might be really great if my name was mentioned alongside actors Yang Se-jong and Woo Do-whan, two actors whose acting was memorable at the time. It has just been a great surprise to see my name actually appear in the news with those actors."

Yet, the 1.87 meter-tall actor with a great physique, who debuted as a model at Seoul Fashion Week 2012, said he had difficulty playing the role at the beginning. "At first, I had too many worries. It was my first time acting this kind of role -- cold-seeming, women-distrusting, but warm-hearted character. I found myself rather stiff and unnatural, with low self-esteem. But the director and lead actress Jang came and told me that I should trust them. It relieved the pressure and I came to act more naturally."

Saying that his most favored love scene in the drama was when he confessed his feelings for Ma Jin-joo, played by actress Jang, he added that shooting a romantic scene with Jang was "easy" because she is so lovely. "Although Jang is older than me, I didn't feel it. Looking at her lovely big and round eyes, anyone would have romantic feelings," he said. "To better immerse myself in the character that has a crush on Ma, I printed out two pretty photos of Jang and put one next to the living room television and the other on the wall at my house's entrance. I thought about her while relaxing and again whenever I stepped out of the house. Such image training helped me a lot."

Jang says "Couple on the Backtrack" has been the first project he calls "his." "In my previous projects, I didn't use the term my or our. While working on this drama, I found myself calling it my drama. For the first time, I felt the feeling that I belonged to the drama," he said. "Previously, my only attention was how attractive my role might be. Now I have learned the importance of the big picture: understanding why certain characters are put in particular environments and why such incidents happen in a certain context. Analyzing my character should come later."

After the success of the drama, Jang is busy dealing with many offers to appear in commercials and variety shows, yet he says he wants to show more of himself as an actor. "Speaking of variety show offers, although I appreciate it very much, I would like to show more of myself as an actor for now. Since I'm a big movie fan, I'd rather be in a movie," he said.

Jung mentions Heath Ledger as his role model. "The legendary actor, who played the Joker in The Dark Knight, is my role model. After watching the film, I looked for his previous work and they were mainly playful and lovely characters, hard to match with the Joker image. Like Ledger, I want to be an actor who can perfectly change his image with different roles he is in. I would like to hear -- is it really him kind of reaction from viewers.

"If I could, I'd love to work on a strong character in a film noir like the 2001 Korean film Friend."

jinhai@kitmes.com 

On 11/12/2017 at 3:56 AM, ode2kdramas said:

@mademoisellesia HAPPY TO HEAR YOU LOVED THE SHOW!

Me running to hug you..:wub:

Kim Mi Kyung previously was Healer Ahjumma in my mind. Now she is also Jin Joo's Omma. Yes, she is a terrific actress and she is blessed with these many daebak roles that give her a chance to show us how talented she is.

oh ho ho! So you made it to the right side of the fence! :D It's like you said it was impossible for NG to compete with Ban Do and Jin Joo's 18 year history. I missed Liar and his lover, but he's in It's okay it's love? I also have no recollection of him there. :mellow:

Uri HMH jagga-nim should work as GBC writer Kwon Hye-Joo's assistant  for a while and learn a thing or two, before she ever thinks of writing another drama script again.-_-Ah, now I am tempted to start watching it again kkk..

So, a kind soul from the GBC thread alerted me to Youth Over Flowers Laos trip with GBC's  Son Ho Jun ahjussi and Yoo Yeon Seok in it. I saw it recently and it was hilarious. (Should watch the version subbed by banasubbers). I am thinking you might have already watched it, seeing that you have been around in this Kdrama business thing way longer than I have ha ha.. But on the off chance you haven't seen it - Please do!

@ode2kdramas Annyeong! Thought I'll bring this over here :D  or else it'll become off-topic. First of all, omo, love that Daebak gif and I'm gonna take it as you really are looking that excited and running towards me :tongue:  Yes, Kim Mi Kyung is well known to be hacker ahjumma from Healer, but she is so many more before that. She was a lot of people's mum but so spunky, hilarious and talented. Her moon walking in GBC had me :hushed:

Yep, I stood on the right fence, but the heart does beat for Nam Gil hahaha. I also figure why bother develop SLS if I can keep him for myself? :D The gif  @supergal99 posted with them in pink couple jumper, hahaha, that scene had me ROFLLLL. Thanks for posting that supergal! Before that I must admit I wished Nam Gil and Jin Joo get to wear it coz for once (or twice) I wanted Jin Joo to have the memory and proof that there is this gorgeous, tall young boy that likes her. Ban Do was being such a meanie for not believing her, so I wanted him to suffer a little bit.  :ph34r:  I won't get killed by team Ban Do here, right? 

Jang Ki Yong was the drummer in Liar and His Lover but he didn't impress or catch my attention then, possibly because I was ♥o♥ at Lee Hyun Woo, Lee Seo Won and Sung Joo. I vaguely remember he has bad hair, so that could be one of the reasons he got filtered through :tongue:  I totally can't remember him in It's Okay It's Love so I'll just take it as he must have a very small part. I agree HMH needs to learn a trick or two from various writers. I like it to a level, but there are too much flaws in her story telling. Sooo... from what you wrote I gather you have adopted ahjussi Son Ho Jun as your next Bae? I knew he was in YOF with YYS, coz YYS was infamous for outsmarting Na PD by using Paypal to pay for hotels, to which RJY in Reply 88 tried to copy but failed. rofl.gif   I haven't seen that one coz it was difficult to find, but you have given me hint so I'll check it out soon.

Now I've to go recuperate some more. Marathoning GBC 8 hours+ straight took a toll on me! :skull:  But before I resign from soompi, let me laugh at this again...

BhyxwMW.gif&key=fb84e770f327257ca1e7f68d

• 2 weeks later...

So much love for this show. Even though it ended few weeks ago I still think about it and my eyes get teary when I remember most heartbreaking moments. One of the best dramas about marriage and family.

Seems like Go Back Couple was quite popular in Korea though I thought it wasn’t because of relatively low ratings.

Koreans Vote Best K-Drama Couples Of 2017

With only a few more days left of 2017, an online research company called PMI did a survey of 2,400 men and women from 20 to 50 years of age on their favorite K-drama couples.

Among all the dramas that aired this past year on KBS, MBC, and SBS, respondents were asked to pick the couple with the best chemistry.

The No. 1 couple was Park Seo Joon and Kim Ji Won from KBS2’s “Fight My Way,” receiving 23.5 percent of the votes.

Jang Nara and Son Ho Jun from KBS2’s “Go Back Couple” came in second with 22.3 percent of the votes, and “My Golden Life” couple Park Shi Hoo and Shin Hye Sunfollowed up with 17.6 percent of the votes.

Who’s your favorite K-drama couple from 2017?

Source: https://www.soompi.com/2017/12/28/koreans-vote-best-k-drama-couples-2017/

Archived