[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

2 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Not a big fan of this cousin character so would not mind if it was cut and back then people cared about airs so if she could not have children im surprised even though how nice Dr He was he would go with her or he does not know yet?

I don't think anyone except for the cousins mother knew that she can't have kids.

ML and granny refused to accept her and doc also told her he always saw her as a sister nothing more. After that the cousin tried to commit suicide. Thats when her mom told everyone the truth.Thats why she was pushing to be a concubine. If ML had married the doc her kids will be the only heirs....and thats the only reason ML was willing to give in. In the end the Doc was willing to accept her because of his mother...and pity for his cousin.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, fra8 said:

I wonder now if his family gets involved in his fall from grace. So the payback is the very end since I hope the end is happy for them in personal life and political life.

Spoiler

One of the only time GTY could have gotten in trouble in the novel spoilers was because when he returned from war, instead of waiting for the army to officially enter the capital, he was worried and anxious so he snuck in to see ML. I guess they said it was an act that’s punishable by the Emperor. They changed different things around in the drama so it’ll be a surprise when we get to the part in the drama where he gets in trouble and see what crime he supposedly committed. 

14 minutes ago, minoku2209 said:

Minglan new stills, so pretty.

Spoiler

It seems the scene in trailer when she slapped her or did I get it wrong? I wonder why....since they are so close. Could it be marriage related?

She is very pretty.

5 minutes ago, fra8 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It seems the scene in trailer when she slapped her or did I get it wrong? I wonder why....since they are so close. Could it be marriage related?

She is very pretty.

Spoiler

Think someone commented earlier that grandma slapped ML because she admitted to setting up the whole thing with Molan getting caught as revenge for what Concubine Lin did to her mother. But grandma hugged her after.

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

That day she came to the temple to say goodbye to him when GTY arranged for his nanny (not stepmom, according to the book) to catch them redhanded. Bc the Emperor knew about the marriage, Sheng family could not back out so they had no choice but to replace Rulan with ML (ML was technically a di daughter since she was registered under Daniang's name) and married Rulan off to her boyfriend.

Lol...google translate translates momo as mother...thats why I thought his step mom caught them:joy:

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

That was true. But bc Shulan (cousin) married down, when she was in trouble, the Sheng family could step up and get a divorce for her. However if she had married up to a more powerful family, there would be nothing that they could do and she would have to keep suffering (like Molan). That's why if the girl was not after status, marrying down was a safer choice than marrying up. Anyway, Rulan chose her husband cuz he loved her with all her flaws, which was very rare.

His mother was not that cruel in the drama so she didn't receive any significant punishment. Actually she was not mentioned later in the story.

Dr.He didn't reciprocated her feeling, but she and her whole family were a bunch of crazy maniacs clinging to him like leeches. Also his mother was her aunt so she was biased over her. In the end she succeeded in becoming his concubine and his life was also a mess.

If the drama follows the book, his stepmom's downfall will be very late.

GTY proposed marriage to the Sheng family, not stated clearly which daughter he wanted. Sheng family thought it was the di daughter Rulan and arranged for the marriage with Rulan. However Rulan was secretly seeing her boyfriend (forgot his name). That day she came to the temple to say goodbye to him when GTY arranged for his nanny (not stepmom, according to the book) to catch them redhanded. Bc the Emperor knew about the marriage, Sheng family could not back out so they had no choice but to replace Rulan with ML (ML was technically a di daughter since she was registered under Daniang's name) and married Rulan off to her boyfriend.

26 minutes ago, dito said:

I don't think anyone except for the cousins mother knew that she can't have kids.

ML and granny refused to accept her and doc also told her he always saw her as a sister nothing more. After that the cousin tried to commit suicide. Thats when her mom told everyone the truth.Thats why she was pushing to be a concubine. If ML had married the doc her kids will be the only heirs....and thats the only reason ML was willing to give in. In the end the Doc was willing to accept her because of his mother...and pity for his cousin.

This cousin i feel sorry for and if shes a concubine but cant have children i suppose she just wants to live in some happiness which is not a bad thing and i think everyone would want that. 

The Dr's life was a mess? that will be sad if we see that i like him alot. 

So I just finished ep 29 . Rulan is really an energy reliever:Dlove this girl...still  watching ep 31 raw, but my eyes explored already on the 35/36 trailers...I promised myself not to watch any spoilers for me to enjoy the show but I failed again..seems like PROMISES ARE REALLY MEANT TO BE BROKEN:tounge_xd:..

16 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

This cousin i feel sorry for and if shes a concubine but cant have children i suppose she just wants to live in some happiness which is not a bad thing and i think everyone would want that. 

The Dr's life was a mess? that will be sad if we see that i like him alot. 

If that was all she wanted then she wouldn't be that disgusting. Before her family's downfall, her family looked down on He family and refused to marry her off to him. Now that they were poor, she came clinging to him to avoid poverty. She always played the damsel in distress role, pretended to be sick to gain his attention against his main wife. He disliked her but couldn't ignore her cuz his mother was biased over her. She and his mother (His mother was her aunt so her family was also his mother's family) was lurking He family's money out to support her family. His grandma had to send her far away so that he can get married without trouble. The problem with the cousin only ended when his mother dies and he completely shut her down.

Spoiler

So the ep 35/36 teasers look interesting. Looks like QH’s dragon mom is going to get scared s***less by the Royal Yongs. So the story arc of her relenting to QH later but was too embarrassed to follow through could happen but we’ll see. I was wondering how they were going to tone her fierceness down if she wasn’t like that in the novel. Karma once again, she gets the same rude awakening that she gave her son. 

10 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

If that was all she wanted then she wouldn't be that disgusting. Before her family's downfall, her family looked down on He family and refused to marry her off to him. Now that they were poor, she came clinging to him to avoid poverty. She always played the damsel in distress role, pretended to be sick to gain his attention against his main wife. He disliked her but couldn't ignore her cuz his mother was biased over her. She and his mother (His mother was her aunt so her family was also his mother's family) was lurking He family's money out to support her family. His grandma had to send her far away so that he can get married without trouble. The problem with the cousin only ended when his mother dies and he completely shut her down.

Ah she a bish then never mind ;p 

Just now, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

So the ep 35/36 teasers look interesting. Looks like QH’s dragon mom is going to get scared s***less by the Royal Yongs. So the story arc of her relenting to QH later but being embarrassed to follow through could happen but we’ll see. I was wondering how they were going to tone her fierceness down if she wasn’t like that in the novel. Karma once again, she gets the same rude awakening that she gave her son. 

she can die for all i care. 

If anyone watched any of the upcoming previews and now what they are saying ... please let us all know! 

Spoiler

I'm cause what GYT said to the General Zhao when ML brought the will? And more of why the Zhao guy looks like he doesn't want to be a contender for the throne. 

36 minutes ago, heatherbee said:

So I just finished ep 29 . Rulan is really an energy reliever:Dlove this girl...still  watching ep 31 raw, but my eyes explored already on the 35/36 trailers...I promised myself not to watch any spoilers for me to enjoy the show but I failed again..seems like PROMISES ARE REALLY MEANT TO BE BROKEN:tounge_xd:..

If this isnt me..

me: I’m gonna wait for the subbed episodes patiently

also me: watched raw episodes of ep 30 and more, cluelessly 

:bawling:

14 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

If this isnt me..

me: I’m gonna wait for the subbed episodes patiently

also me: watched raw episodes of ep 30 and more, cluelessly 

:bawling:

I like watching it raw and again once it’s subbed. Then I can see how much of it I was able to understand with my limited mandarin. :) Plus I’m too hooked on this drama to wait for subs :lol:

12 hours ago, lyaarisa said:

I think GTY is jealous too.. From the earlier eps, its kinda obvious that he loves to tease ML about marriage.. Honestly, in the drama, GTY might have some attraction towards ML but he do not noticed it yet.. That's y he offered to help QH to kidnap the princess before ML & QH break up.

Me too.. I think i really like Rulan character as well.. If I live in that era, I would make Rulan as one of my bestie.. She is so transparent and straight forward.. I prefer to have that kind of girlfriend compared to the Lotus type like Molan.. Rather than mature, I think Rulan is much more honest compared to other character in this novel n drama.. Maybe because she was pampered since she was young and have less hardship than ML...

If only the producer is kinder to Rulan in the drama by giving her handsome and good looking scholar just like in the novel.. LOL.. Her future beau that appears look kinda old in the drama.. LOL..

Anyway, Rulan is my fav gfriend if I live in that novel.. kekekek..

Yes me too. Rulan is my favourite Minglan's sister. I wont call her lazy, but more of a scatterbrain who got distracted easily. She is pampered & spoiled but she has a kind heart. Sometime she bully Minglan to do things for her which Minglan cleverly evaded, she never punish her for it, she just grumble away like most sisters wud. She never care much abt status nor title let alone noble brats, and her biggest satisfaction is to belittled & making Molan gritted her teeth with anger. And I love the fact the first man who flutters her heart as a woman is a just a regular looking man without status nor title. I think Minglan & Rulan are really close sisters  

25 minutes ago, hello210 said:

I like watching it raw and again once it’s subbed. Then I can see how much of it I was able to understand with my limited mandarin. :) Plus I’m too hooked on this drama to wait for subs :lol:

Same here,,since im already 4 yrs here in sg..I already learned some, thats why when I watch it raw... still can understand some words then connect it....:lol:

36 minutes ago, hello210 said:

The same, i do this with all my shows,  i watched raw first just to test myself on how well i actually understood mandarin and i'm giving myself 25% score but to speak it, that's another matter..i then re-watch with subs after it's done airing (by then all should be fully subbed & all i do is just read the subs).:D

6 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

The same, i do this with all my shows,  i watched raw first just to test myself on how well i actually understood mandarin and i'm giving myself 25% score but to speak it, that's another matter..i then re-watch with subs after it's done airing (by then all should be fully subbed & all i do is just read the subs).:D

I do this too. I usually watch every episode twice but because I' m curious and addicted. But tbh, my mandarin improved a lot since I started watching chinese tv-shows. The first one was shan shan and I find her  easier than other actors to understand. Unfortunately, the pronunciation is very hard to get right when I speak.

2 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

One of the only time GTY could have gotten in trouble in the novel spoilers was because when he returned from war, instead of waiting for the army to officially enter the capital, he was worried and anxious so he snuck in to see ML. I guess they said it was an act that’s punishable by the Emperor. They changed different things around in the drama so it’ll be a surprise when we get to the part in the drama where he gets in trouble and see what crime he supposedly committed. 

Ohh I forgot about that. Very much possible. His fast rise to power in the military may bring him some jealousy among the ranks.

Why do I get the feeling some of those assassins for GTY? Maybe I'm thinking too much..

45 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Wish I could understand mandarin too.. I could save myself from google translating so many c novels.. 

somehow this drama makes a lot of people watch the episodes twice :D

Archived