[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Molan's marriage send off was like the somber mood of a funeral. It is slso indicate literally a cut of family ties as Sheng Hong told his daughter she got what she wants, be happy and make the most of it.

I cannot believe that despite being the one Sheng Hong loved and adored, Concubine Lin saw Ming Lan's mother as a threat as she too managed to produce children and saw Ming Lan's younger brother as a threat to her son.

Based to the clips of spoilers, it seemed both Qi Heng's proud mother and Molan will have to beg Ming Lan in the later part for the safety of their family or themselves. Ming Lan answered Qi Heng's mother request but refused Molan as she got what she deserved.

With Gu Ting Ye's ranking with the new Emperor, Ming Lan becomed a 1st Grade Her Ladyship. This will bring the highest honour even to her own family.

50 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

I think it seemed to emphasize that she had a headache or was super stressed out or something. Maybe the stone on it was for a cooling effect? I have no clue lol

@Maria BrimstoneThank you and sorry for the stupid question, I maybe putting meaning to something more than there really is 

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

@ForgottenSoulx  You do have a point.. Yes it may be better for them to have a different house a much better house.. I just hope the evil women don't try and associate there home with his because that house will go through a serious downfal.. Especially now since the old man is dead.. None of the sons are doing much to make a name for themselves unlike what GTY is doing.. It may come down to the elders request for him to take over. At this point I expect GTY to tell them how they used his mother and now him and turn them down coldly..

Also when is ML is suppose to start helping to educate his daughter..?

@linhlinh111  I call it karma

BTW where are you guy's watching, I can only find up to ep 32 on viki.. ? 

13 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

Molan's marriage send off was like the somber mood of a funeral. It is slso indicate literally a cut of family ties as Sheng Hong told his daughter she got what she wants, be happy and make the most of it.

I cannot believe that despite being the one Sheng Hong loved and adored, Concubine Lin saw Ming Lan's mother as a threat as she too managed to produce children and saw Ming Lan's younger brother as a threat to her son.

Based to the clips of spoilers, it seemed both Qi Heng's proud mother and Molan will have to beg Ming Lan in the later part for the safety of their family or themselves. Ming Lan answered Qi Heng's mother request but refused Molan as she got what she deserved.

With Gu Ting Ye's ranking with the new Emperor, Ming Lan becomed a 1st Grade Her Ladyship. This will bring the highest honour even to her own family.

I know Molan was a bish but i still would have thought ML would help her due to sister bonds but ofc she would help QH family thats just how she is. 

Also on the 13th the show hit 260 million views that day the highest so far im pretty sure.

Also hit  The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 1.211 on the 13th

Here are the online ratings for Week 2, January 7 – January 13 (views in million):

1 The Story of Ming Lan 1686 = 1.6 billion in the last week. 

Its total views are 3.7 billion as of 13th. 

On 1/13/2019 at 4:30 AM, linhlinh111 said:

I don't think ML did this since if Molan's name is tainted then both Rulan and ML herself would be ruined too.

We were fooled by drama writers thinking they would follow the novel’s main theme of characters placing a lot of importance on “women virtue” and since they’re stressing that in a lot of scenes. Everything ML did in the book was within general norm of society that time and she cares a lot about her virtue, chasity and reputation. That’s why she told QH that her reputation will be ruined by meeting him alone and it will impact not only her but livelihood of her sisters, father and brothers. The point of the book was ML ending up enjoying her good marriage life with GTY because she was shrewd enough to hide her ability and avoid conflicts that occurred in both Sheng and GTY house by knowing her place and acting within expectation of the norm of society. She just outsmart everyone without doing anything that will ruin her reputation or become eyes sores of others with the help of GTY. Even though she gained more freedom and independence as main wife of GTY who gave her all authorities and had no other concubines after marriage, she didn’t do anything out of character outside or at Sheng house. On the other hand, Lin Yiniang who did everything out of norm (instead of marrying someone within her status, became concubine and tried to be more powerful than main wife by lying, ticking, manipulating SH) ended up getting into trouble for herself as well as for her daughter Molan. SH who favors concubine more than main wife (out of norm) ended up being shamed by his beloved concubine and daughter. 

However, it seems drama theme has changed to ML, heroine who doesn’t conform to societal expectations (although she hid her ability when she was young), ended up achieving high even though she is a Shu daughter through her own smartness and ability, pretty much similar to Legend of Lu Zhen (except LZ involving emperor). That’s why they did not care in buffing ML, making her talk to prostitude head during SL divorce, managing Sheng household, setting up Lin Yiniang downfall, suggesting GTY for his life plans in many occasions and being imperial messenger, and also making GTY character looks better with almost passing palace exam and shrewdness in planning new emperor achieve the throne so that he deserves her (basucally being Shu daughter doesn’t matter). Even if they kept Chinese title of the book and emphasizing on being set in Song, I should have realized that the drama will be same heroine theme different from the book when they kept showing the painting of Li Naing Zi (Princess Pingyan of Tang who helped her father in gaining the throne and establishing new dynasty by leading female army) as well as showing ML’s winning in arrow game. 

Spoiler

In the book, Molan only had one meeting with Liang 6th at the temple where she fell, got soaked and was carried by him. It was seen by many people and it was bad enough reputation for her, RL and ML that grandma went to propose marriage to Liang’s house. In the drama, they’re potraying Molan going as far as meeting Liang every few days in the storage room in temple and sleeping with him to get her leverage with possibly of being pregnant (though unknown since doctor never confirmed). Also, the drama portrays ML planning and fanning so that those meetings took place and admitted to grandma that she didn’t care about her reputation, marriage or even her face as long as she can revenge her mother’s death. That’s why grandma slapped ML as it was very risky move and she could have ruined her life. She was very lucky no one found out about her planning and her going to farm house under grandma’s protection. As always, drama is dramatizing everything making all characters Black and White and showing off heroine’s ability. Is it realistic Molan being able to go out for a long time for a few times pretending as her maid while she was under house-arrest (though her mom is involved and she is favored concubine in the household) with main wife who is trying to catch all their fault and old madam during that time? The main wife and father would not have found out without ML's machinations? I would say there are exceptions... :D   

I'm NOT saying the drama is bad or I'm not enjoying it or critizing in bad ways (though I stiil think the writing could have been better). I'm just pointing out we need to stop comparing with the book or analyzing being logical with the time and just enjoy it as a different drama with exceptional ML achieving all her goals, glories and best marriage life as she bets all her odds with her smart and her might without depending even much on GTY.  

Spoiler

I think they might be making ML imperial messenger even as by chance so that she obtains her title as 1st grade noble woman later by her own merit not because of being GTY’s wife like in the book. In the trailer, GTY found out about ML’s marriage aspect from CB and thus his scheming with Dr. He’s cousin and RL’s marriage about to begin. I wanna laugh how GTY’s stepmom 180 when he came back with achievements. It is very awkward scene and I’m not sure how they’re going to pull it through as GTY already found out about her two-timed face. Also, I'm guessing they're going to make that GTY's father left a will for GTY to inherit Marquis title after his older brother (from step-mom expression during her convo with her maid in epi 34).

2 minutes ago, watchumlots said:

Does anyone know where in the novel (chapter) Ep 31-32 of the drama are taken from? 

Don't have subs for Ep 30-32, only up to 29.   AHhhhhh!  I can't wait!  It's killing me to not have the dialogue to these scenes, they are awesome scenes.   

Viki has updated subs till ep 30.

2 hours ago, m0us3y said:

After the recent episodes, I reckon ML is really a wolf in sheep's clothing. 

The way she handles everything, shows how incredibly intelligent and cunning person she is. 

She knows how to hit a person where it hurts most- taking away the money and properties from the greedy in-laws and good for nothing husband of the couz. 

She manipulated Da Niang to get rid of the spies in her courtyard, and now she got her revenge on Concubine Lin, using their weakness to her advantage to egg Molan and the mom to their own destruction.

All the while getting away scot free, still appearing innocent. 

Arguably, ML could only do that because Molan and the mum was greedy and was in a way willing parties to the whole thing, but she clearly has a hand in getting everything to be where she wants them to be. 

ML is truly a master of disguise. 

Had the world thinking she's quiet, and foolish and outmaneuver everyone, and may I add, without them even noticing they were being played until too late. 

And the fact that she doesn't divulge anything to anyone, and getting rid of all evidence (burning all letters from the aunt) makes her so unreadable to those around her. 

Even grandma said she didn't see that coming from her. 

Madam Liang said that ML is pure and not a seductress like Molan, and part of me was thinking that she's too busy thinking in bigger picture and further than just seduce the male. If only she knows what ML was thinking. 

Feels a bit like the Liang family was also a pawn in her revenge. 

Thankfully for us, she's the protagonist of the show hence we cheered her on, and we cheered at Molan and the mom's downfall. 

My speculation is that she will be one of the last antagonist standing. 

She too is a master of disguise and that's why she had everyone fooled. 

But she will now meet her match. :lol:

She is the female version of Mei Changsu of NIF..;), brilliant :thumbsup:.

11 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

However, it seems drama theme has changed to ML, heroine who doesn’t conform to societal expectations (although she hid her ability when she was young), ended up achieving high even though she is a Shu daughter through her own smartness and ability, pretty much similar to Legend of Lu Zhen (except LZ involving emperor). That’s why they did not care in buffing ML, making her talk to prostitude head during SL divorce, managing Sheng household, setting up Lin Yiniang downfall, suggesting GTY for his life plans in many occasions and being imperial messenger, and also making GTY character looks better with almost passing palace exam and shrewdness in planning new emperor achieve the throne so that he deserves her (basucally being Shu daughter doesn’t matter). Even if they kept Chinese title of the book and emphasizing on being set in Song, I should have realized that the drama will be same heroine theme different from the book when they kept showing the painting of Li Naing Zi (Princess Pingyan of Tang who helped her father in gaining the throne and establishing new dynasty by leading female army) as well as showing ML’s winning in arrow game. 

Reveal hidden contents

In the book, Molan only had one meeting with Liang 6th at the temple where she fell, got soaked and was carried by him. It was seen by many people and it was bad enough reputation for her, RL and ML that grandma went to propose marriage to Liang’s house. In the drama, they’re potraying Molan going as far as meeting Liang every few days in the storage room in temple and sleeping with him to get her leverage with possibly of being pregnant (though unknown since doctor never confirmed). Also, the drama portrays ML planning and fanning so that those meetings took place and admitted to grandma that she didn’t care about her reputation, marriage or even her face as long as she can revenge her mother’s death. That’s why grandma slapped ML as it was very risky move and she could have ruined everything. She was very lucky no one found out about her planning and her going to farm house under grandma’s protection. As always, drama is dramatizing everything making all characters Black and White and showing off heroine’s ability. Is it realistic Molan being able to go out for a long time for a few times pretending as her maid while she was under house-arrest (though her mom is involved and she is favored concubine in the household) with main wife who is trying to catch all their fault and old madam during that time? The main wife and father would not have found out without ML's machinations? I would say there are exceptions... :D   

I'm NOT saying the drama is bad or I'm not enjoying it or critizing in bad ways (though I stiil think the writing could have been better). I'm just pointing out we need to stop comparing with the book or analyzing being logical with the time and just enjoy it as a different drama with exceptional ML achieving all her goals, glories and best marriage life as she bets all her odds with her smart and her might without depending even much on GTY.  

Reveal hidden contents

I think they might be making ML imperial messenger even as by chance so that she obtains her title as 1st grade noble woman later by her own merit not because of being GTY’s wife like in the book. In the trailer, GTY found out about ML’s marriage aspect from CB and thus his scheming with Dr. He’s cousin and RL’s marriage about to begin. I wanna laugh how GTY’s stepmom 180 when he came back with achievements. It is very awkward scene and I’m not sure how they’re going to pull it through as GTY already found out about her two-timed face. Also, I'm guessing they're going to make that GTY's father left a will for GTY to inherit Marquis title after his older brother (from step-mom expression during her convo with her maid in epi 34).

Everything you said would have made me hate the book if the book does nothing to make ML a interesting character or show off her smarts it would be incredibly boring but can you stop being pessimistic every time you post? 

Was this part really needed to be said by you again and again, show is a adaptation not a clone and the book is not based on history or real event's can you move on. 

So what you do every-time you post? you say we need to stop comparing when that is all you do, no-one else is bringing logic into this or trying to compare it to history apart from you. 

27 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Hide contents

:lol: For me it’s all pure entertainment. I’m just a sucker for spoilers so I look up novels of dramas I’m watching to see how the ending is or was supposed to be since the historical/fantasy dramas have a tendency to kill, freeze or make one of the leads disappear (guess so it’s open for another season). 

Spoiler

I’m hoping they keep it to where the will only stipulates that GTY gets the dowry brought by his mother since that would pretty much make the rest of the family poor. And let his sickly brother redeem himself a little by making the decision himself to let GTY inherit, since his brother was really brainwashed by the stepmom since young. 

3 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

I'm pretty sure she didn't die? I think she was just sent to a rural area to live. Stupid father couldn't even bear to have her beaten too much =.=

Lin Yiniang actually died. She was sent to farm house in TV epi 33 and was mentioned she died in epi 34.

For those asking about rebellion, the drama is trying along the line of the book

Spoiler

three heirs involved, Yong Wang (QH's father-in-law), Yan Wang (Long Fei’s party) and Zhao Zhong Quan (GTY supporter). Yan Wang tried to close the city gate, palace gate and surrounded with army also sent assasins to kill ZZQ. I think Yong Wang family might have been arrested or killed as emperor and empress have been detained inside the palace. Long Fei was trying to punish QH’s mom as her Yan Wang’s party was in advantage currently controlling the city. I’m surprised the drama made a need to make QH’s mom punished by Long Fei as she was not the one who caused bad things to Long Fei Yen but Yong Wang Fei was. Both she and QH were forced to marry Jiachun princess by Yong Wong Fei. I know QH’s mom made a point to QH that that they also made an enemy out of Long Fei as she mentioned to Yong Wang Fei regards to Long family’s marriage interest to QH. What QH’s mom could have done when she was told of both families’ interest to marry QH instead of letting them know of each other interest?

12 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Hide contents

I’m hoping they keep it to where the will only stipulates that GTY gets the dowry brought by his mother since that would pretty much make the rest of the family poor. And let his sickly brother redeem himself a little by making the decision himself to let GTY inherit, since his brother was really brainwashed by the stepmom since young. 

Not sure since they still have part of GTY’s mom dowry or not. GTY mentioned him going back to Marquis house to get his mom’s stuff and he and Shitou were shown cleaning and packing stuff (that is when they found knee pads made by ML’s mom and he told ST to keep them safe). 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, Golden Flower said:

There are many posts from a few days ago saying QH’s mom being cunning, manipulative and trying to shame the grandmom and I was trying to point out that it is not the case and the situation will not turn out really bad making grandmom angry if ML and her grandmom did not hear wrong information from QH in advance that his parents would propose ML’s hands. 

What I meant was the drama did not explain/portray well the societal/family norms of the time

@Golden Flower I know that the drama is already way past this incident but on hindsight after re watch and having a broader view of the political landscape at that time period in the drama, I can see the valid reasons for Duchess Qi to do what she did at Changbai's wedding, gifting the Sheng girls with pearls as a brother to his sisters. It is not even about status as that was not the most pressing issue at that moment but it was about family survival. Little did the young lovers to be, QH and ML, realize that their playing together at the  polo match may have ignited a simmering political contest to an open political warfare. In the beginning episodes when 3rd brother was boasting about supporting Prince Yong, his father minister Sheng was "punished" by the emperor as an example for the other families. For me that indicates that the emperor was not in favor of Yong. Until the time of the latest episode, the emperor still did not name any heir for the throne. As the episodes progress, we see Duchess Qi kneeling to the empress calling her mother and begging her help to ask Prince Yong's consort to release her husband, Duke Qi. So, the house of Qi's power is derived from their relationship to the dying emperor who is sick and has not been attending court. Duchess Qi wanted to betroth her son to Princess Rong whose family, if I am correct, is supporting the emperor in not endorsing Prince Yong to be the heir to the throne. It is not yet revealed if the emperor already selected an heir in secret or if he has somebody in mind. Duchess Qi was trying to make alliance with a stronger family with the same political leanings for mutual support. However, Prince Yong took advantage of his daughter's infatuation with Yuan Ruo, had Princess Rong and family dishonored and committed suicide, and forced Yuan Ruo's bethrotal to his daughter. He shot 2 birds with one stone. But now, the Qi family has encurred the enmity of the Rong family and the Qi's are left standing between a rock and a hard place. I can also understand why the duchess did not trust Yuan Ruo enough to tell him her plans because she realized that Yuan Ruo will not listen and might do something worse than what he did at the polo match. I am waiting to see if the future episodes will show Yuan Ruo and Ting Ye standing at opposite sides of the political playing field. 

I see what you mean by the drama not portraying well the societal/family norms of the time, that the drama changed some of the story line and the family rules and attitudes of characters. It maybe  to make the drama spicier to the viewers and conform to what they think viewers expect? But thank you for the information it is good to know. 

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Well said.She is a very shrewd woman.Any one who dares to mess with her will eventually be paid back with interest.

Only GTY has seen this side of her although in glimpses.

If QH were to know of her cunning and rutheless ways to exact revenge he would have got a  heart attack.:D

Hahahah. 

QH prolly think she's this sweet innocent girl like all others! 

@Golden Flower does that mean ML didn't actually revenge her mom in the novel? And pretty much waited for karma to do their job?

8 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Not sure since they still have part of GTY’s mom dowry or not. GTY mentioned him going back to Marquis house to get his mom’s stuff and he and Shitou were shown cleaning and packing stuff (that is when they found knee pads made by ML’s mom and he told ST to keep them safe). 

I think there’s supposed to be shops and stuff that’s sustaining their family that was part of the dowry similar to Hulan’s dowry. Because before the marriage the family was highly in debt. We’ll see how it’s played out. However they do it, it gets bad enough to where the stepmom tries to stab GTY in the trailers.

14 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

I just think that was what was left of her stuff like necklaces etc.. probs still more of his mums stuff hidden.

47 minutes ago, hello210 said:

:lol: For me it’s all pure entertainment. I’m just a sucker for spoilers so I look up novels of dramas I’m watching to see how the ending is or was supposed to be since the historical/fantasy dramas have a tendency to kill, freeze or make one of the leads disappear (guess so it’s open for another season). 

Hide contents

Spoiler

Oh he got all the dowries and show it off to CB in the trailer. Guess it's his strategist to win ML over by recruiting CB's support to his campaign:lol:

8 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Hahahah. 

QH prolly think she's this sweet innocent girl like all others! 

@Golden Flower does that mean ML didn't actually revenge her mom in the novel? And pretty much waited for karma to do their job?

Spoiler

Ml in the novel was a transmigrater. The mom was not her mom because original ML has already died. So, there is no desire for revenge. Beside ml character in the novel was a lazy person, just want to live well, eat well abd sleep. Love herself more than anyone else(grandma was an exception) until the confrontation with gty after marriage did she change her attitude towards love and trust. 

Archived