[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

2 hours ago, dito said:

First Old emperor dies and country goes into mourning....along with war for the throne situation.

In that chaos Molan seduces the six son of Liang gets married to him and Lin niang is not allowed to attend...and exiled off to a Sheng family property in the boonies. 

The Roulan falls for the poor scholar and ML catches them. 

He Hongwen and ML are all ready to get engaged when his clingy cousin arrives and ruins everything.

That drama dragged until HHW get sick, his cousin tried to commit suicide....and then finally relented to take her as his concubine. ML is still unsure but decides to wait and watch.

While all this is happening in the capital...GTY will be enjoying a new found popularity as an eligible bachelor due to his position as the General in the new emperor's army...

Don't forget the political situation is about to change....as we see soldiers trying to curb the revolt...in todays episode.

So add those scenes to the storyline as well. I'd say around 40-42

Still 16 eps to go then... OMG 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched ep 25 & 26 in raw. Need subtitles...:( À lot of stuff can't understand as my Mandarin is limited.

Love how GTY shadow ML home and taught her to use the hand arms. How he single handedly fight off the bandits and told them to spare the granny carriage and shadow Granny and ML home.

Spoiler

Who is the 2nd miss who committed suicide and why?

Who is the maid or girl who got thrown out of the carriage in the middle of the street? She was badly beaten up and tied I think.

36 minutes ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Who is the maid or girl who got thrown out of the carriage in the middle of the street? She was badly beaten up and tied I think.

I think both were the same person. I'm purely guessing here but I think that might be the princess that was kidnapped and raped on QH's wife's orders. They seem to have changed the order of the events. Maybe they will show this incident as the spark that started the 4th prince's coup. But without the jealous wife angle. If I remember correctly that princess's father was a very powerful person and may have a lot of enemies. 

Spoiler

The coup lasted for about 10 days or something. And all that time Sheng papa and Changbai were inside the palace....Sheng Papa and his colleagues hid themselves somewhere but Changbai was going through a harrowing time. All his colleagues were being killed off in front of him one by one.

7 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I still think Manniang is portrayed fine shes still crazy,selfish,jealous does not love her kids etc.. its very similar. 

Although I don’t love Manning. I can’t determine yet if the character isn’t the same as the drama. From my point of view, Mannian loves Bai He and doesn’t love her kids. She wanted to get rid of Momo, but there is. I say Bai He will get rid of Momo when she loves him and doesn’t care for his money. She has always been on his side. Manning didn’t lie on the fact she only sold these things because he told he was broke. The fact she lied to him about everything.

Chingu’s Help me 

Is this drama TV versus being translated on YouTube???

4 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Although I don’t love Manning. I can’t determine yet if the character isn’t the same as the drama. From my point of view, Mannian loves Bai He and doesn’t love her kids. She wanted to get rid of Momo, but there is. I say Bai He will get rid of Momo when she loves him and doesn’t care for his money. She has always been on his side. Manning didn’t lie on the fact she only sold these things because he told he was broke. The fact she lied to him about everything.

Chingu’s Help me 

Is this drama TV versus being translated on YouTube???

Yes it is translated on YouTube but far behind. Other online site is faster but not that fast. Have to wait a day or two for it to be translated. 

1 hour ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Just watched ep 25 & 26 in raw. Need subtitles...:( À lot of stuff can't understand as my Mandarin is limited.

Love how GTY shadow ML home and taught her to use the hand arms. How he single handedly fight off the bandits and told them to spare the granny carriage and shadow Granny and ML home.

Reveal hidden contents

Does that mean GTY likes ML already?? Or is he doing it purely because he's family friend of Sheng?

4 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Does that mean GTY likes ML already?? Or is he doing it purely because he's family friend of Sheng?

Spoiler

@m0us3y i think gty likes ml already. He very impressed with ml during their last encounter. The fact that ml concerned about Rong er (gty's daughter) was a plus factor in favor of ML. And he follow ML advised to go back and not to foil  his and his daughter future loitering araound jianghu. Beside, he taught rong er to call ML as auntie and not sister just show that he didn't regard ML as baby anymore but as a grown woman. 

Ep 23: My favorite scene: ML and GTY strolling the beach at dusk before she left the camp of the sea folks to reunite with her grandma and the rest of her relatives at the Sheng ancestral home. It is as if they had never been apart and they just picked up from where they left off many years ago when GTY helped the 8 year old ML bring the doctor to her ailing mother and then became friends. They were open and easy as they revealed their experience of prejudice and deceit from family members growing up, their means of coping derived from the strategems of war and experience itself. ML is reserved and does not bare her thoughts easily to anyone even with grandma (who can see through her) but not with GTY. Deep down she trusts GTY who in turn has no problem being himself with ML. They even talked about GTY's daughter and advised GTY about how to raise his daughter.  He told ML about Manniang, that ML was right about her and it was him who could not see it. These 2 are family, they are honest with each other. What they talked about, they probably would not easily talk about with other people. 

EP 24: not fully subbed in VIKI yet but ML's solution or her cousin Shulan's dilemma. "You can't take boiling water from a pot then put it back, but you can take away the fuel from under it". So her recommendation was separation or divorce.

Question: I am not sure but I think  one of the aunts or ML also said that if cousin Ping Lan married into an honorable family, that her sister Shulan, a divorced woman, would be protected by Ping Lan's husband's family? If that is the case, then does ML tell grandma to have Ping Lan marry the doctor instead of her? 

I watch ep 25 raw, eventho I don't understand at all but I love how GTY secretly follow/protect ML, grandma and their crew, I just remember the quote "love is not what you say, love is what you do", time to move my ship :P

2 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Ep 23: My favorite scene: ML and GTY strolling the beach at dusk before she left the camp of the sea folks to reunite with her grandma and the rest of her relatives at the Sheng ancestral home. It is as if they had never been apart and they just picked up from where they left off many years ago when GTY helped the 8 year old ML bring the doctor to her ailing mother and became friends. They were open and easy as they revealed their experience of prejudice and deceit from family members growing up, their means of coping derived from the strategems of war and experience itself. ML is reserved and does not bare her thoughts easily to anyone even with grandma (who can see through her) but not with GTY. Deep down she trusts GTY who in turn has no problem being himself with ML. He told ML about Manniang, that ML was right about her and it was him who could not see it. These 2 are family, they are honest with each other. What they talked about, they probably would not easily talk about with other people. 

EP 24: not fully subbed in VIKI yet but ML's solution or her cousin Shulan's dilemma. "You can't take boiling water from a pot and put it back again, but you can take away the fuel from under it". So her recommendation was separation or divorce.

I am not sure but I think  ML also said that if cousin Ping Lan married into an honorable family, that her sister Shulan, a divorced woman, would be protected by Ping Lan's husband's family? If that is the case, then does ML tell grandma to have Ping Lan marry the doctor instead of her? 

Spoiler

I think what minglan meant in ep 24 that if shulan to be sacrificed (remained as a wife to despicable xiucai) just to protect the reputation of pinglan and to give pinglan an honorable husband, then pinglan husband's family will not see pinglan's family as an honorable family as no honorable family will lets their daughter suffered mistreatment like shulan did. 

These women in this drama (ml, grandma, pinglan grandma, pinglan) were really interesting. Intelligent, cunning, witty, strong, loyal, brave. Even Shulan grew her backbone at last. Whilst the man (except gty and cb) were ughhhh... 

Seems like things are finally moving between GTY and ML! 

Always felt that they have some unspoken understanding, but it would be really nice to see that ML actually has someone else to be herself other than granny! 

5 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Seems like things are finally moving between GTY and ML! 

Always felt that they have some unspoken understanding, but it would be really nice to see that ML actually has someone else to be herself other than granny! 

Spoiler

When gty rescue ML from the bandits for the second time, why did he brought her to another place and not to sent her right away to her people? I think it just a pretense to spend some time with ML:D. Then he chased out his servant and be alone with her. Then, secretly accompanied her to the sheng manor. He told his servant that Minglan was an demure and open minded woman. His servant gave gty a knowing and teasing smile. 

Sweet infatuated smile?? 
  • 8c39a08dly1fz0senfwuhj20zk0k0dhq.jpg
  • 8c39a08dly1fz0seklbrwj20zk0k0tad.jpg
  • 005N2SyFly1fz1efbkf2dj30jn0j1k01.jpg
  • 005N2SyFly1fz1ej898fbj30ph0unapw.jpg
  • 005N2SyFly1fz1efc3q0hj30o10pwnb5.jpg
Teasing and laughing at gty

2 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

When gty rescue ML from the bandits for the second time, why did he brought her to another place and not to sent her right away to her people? I think it just a pretense to spend some time with ML:D. Then he chased out his servant and be alone with her. Then, secretly accompanied her to the sheng manor. He told his servant that Minglan was an demure and open minded woman. His servant gave gty a knowing and teasing smile. 

Sweet infatuated smile?? 
  • 8c39a08dly1fz0senfwuhj20zk0k0dhq.jpg
  • 8c39a08dly1fz0seklbrwj20zk0k0tad.jpg
  • 005N2SyFly1fz1efbkf2dj30jn0j1k01.jpg
  • 005N2SyFly1fz1ej898fbj30ph0unapw.jpg
  • 005N2SyFly1fz1efc3q0hj30o10pwnb5.jpg
Teasing and laughing at gty

Which episode is that? Also 23??

I need to watchhhhh!!!

On 1/9/2019 at 7:42 PM, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Reveal hidden contents

The 2nd long miss, Long Fei Ye, who committed suicide was the one who got kinapped during lantern festival (her disappearance was the reason soliders demanded festival to end early by making people to go home) and got thrown off the carriage in the middle of the street. She is younger sister of emperor's current favorite concubine Long Fei and also admirerer of QH. She is not a princess but pretty spoiled as her family currently holds some power due to her sister being favorite concubine. You can see her smashing tea cups at Polo match after QH helped ML win as she was also in love with QH. Her father proposes the marriage to Qi family as well as Yong Wang Fei (Yong Wang's wife) is interested in QH for her daughter, Jia Sheng County Princess. In drama, County Princess got interested in QH during Polo match as well.

Spoiler

Although it hasn't been revealed yet in ep 26 why and who kinapped, raped and beaten her, it will be doing of Yong Wang Fei and her daughter. QH's father did not want to offend to either Long family or Yong Wang, he told his wife Junzi to let both party know of each other's interest in marrying QH, leading to Yong Wang Fei and Jia Sheng County Princess destroying Long Fei Ye's reputation by kinapping and raping her. Although it is not QH's parents' intention to get Long Fei Ye destroyed, they indirectly cause it. (They were just hoping Long family will back off knowing the other party's interest as QH's mom regards Long family's status beneath them).

The drama has been including events in the book in different order and adding a lot of scences that weren't in the book or visualizing scenes that were just told in passing in the book. So, we cannot really guess in which episode GTY will start pursuing her as potential wife. Like @leeza77 mentioned, GTY already started liking ML as a woman when he rescued her from bandit during first old Sheng madam funeral since he took her away to the camp, spent time talking to her and took her advices to his hearts (epi 25). I think he started to get impressed by her when she told him to do something about his life as well as his daughter's life.

Spoiler

In the book, GTY said he started liking ML when ML threw mud at Molan to prevent her to go to the back of temple where there are guys from noble family.   

For those who asked why GTY used Bai Ye as his name when he met Zhao father and son (imperial relative who are generals) in the forest as well as when he joined the army as a foot soldier, it is very common for someone using mother's last name and his first name when he doesn't want people to know his origin (Ye actually is his name and that's why his nanny and his mom before she died call him Ye Er or Ye Koe Er, Er=endearing term, Koe=term for boy, Ting is his generation name which he shares with his brothers and all his male cousins from his father's brothers). His father's Marquise family is well-known military generals and if he used his real name GTY, Zhao father and sons as well as other generals will realize who he is. In drama Yun Zong Ge, young Liu Fu Ling told young Yun Ge that his name is Zhao Ling (Zhao his mom last name) as he didn't want her to know when they first met that he is Han's emperor or someone from imperial family since Han imperial family last name is “Liu”.

Spoiler

GTY using Bai Ye was not in the book and I think drama writers included in here to make sure that GTY gained his merits of becoming a general on his own, not relying on his family's name. Later, in the book, when GTY planned to let new emperor arrest his family members and forgo the Marquess title for involving in 4th prince's rebellion, his older brother reminded GTY that his family's prestige as generations of generals made GTY's life easy to lead the army and that inheriting the old Marquess title is a lot more meaningful than gaining a new Marquess title. His brother told GTY that he won't adopt a son of third brother and passdown family's Marquess title to GTY in exchange for him helping the family and regaining his mother's dowry. So, these events in the book most likely won't be shown as there were no rebellions of 4th prince and 6th prince and GTY did not help 8th prince to become emperor who knew him as 2nd second of Marquess in the capital  and became close friends with GTY when he went to border as idle Jianghu person.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:15 AM, tomo74 said:

I saw funny thing somewhere from the net, people said second brother (WRJ) looks the same like second uncle (FSF) so it makes them confused why this person's name always changing (they dont realise that they are 2 different person) :joy:

Hahahaha.... Me too... I almost mistaken them in few episodes.. LOL

On 1/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, tomo74 said:

Does anyone know why manniang only took her son (not both or none) when she run away? is it because the son isn't GTY biological son? or she has another motive? she cried in the bedroom and suddenly she stopped like she got lightbulb idea then the scene was cut 

My instinct told me that Manniang plan to use her "son" to climb GTY family again in the future.. This drama has more than 70 eps, let us wait how the story unfolds.

58 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@m0us3y i think gty likes ml already. He very impressed with ml during their last encounter. The fact that ml concerned about Rong er (gty's daughter) was a plus factor in favor of ML. And he follow ML advised to go back and not to foil  his and his daughter future loitering araound jianghu. Beside, he taught rong er to call ML as auntie and not sister just show that he didn't regard ML as baby anymore but as a grown woman. 

Done watching ep 25-26 Raw last night.. I find it cute when GTY close his daughter Rong'er mouth when she tries to mention "xiao gugu" = small aunty in front of CB.. hahahaha.. it seems like GTY is trying to hide from CB that he saw ML for few times outside of Bianjing already.. hihihi..

Throughout the thread, I noticed that some hate Manniang, some hate concubine Lin and Molan.

For me, the character that I hate the most is ML's father in this drama.. That old man is so bias that I want to get inside the screen and beat him to death. He seems to care less for his other children apart from those he get from evil concubine Lin.

At least, in the novel, ML's father adore ML for being such a good child... 

Sigh.. I stop reading the novel halfway as I expect the story in the drama have some changes in the characters behaviors and events. 

7 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Would just like to say that I love ML's grandma, since GTY and QH have both gotten so much love from everyone here. :D

I thoroughly enjoy her interactions with ML or even with the Nanny/ maids. 

So much wisdom.

The conversations between granny and ML are always so cordial, and calm, yet her words are so perceptive, so sensible. 

And I love how ML can always be truthful to granny with her thoughts, or even when she isn't, granny always see through her. 

The things they say to each other, like how ML should always think and act to protect herself, because at the end of it, there will always be times where she would have no one to protect her, and she should chart her own course in her life (foreshadowing much?)

The way they are so fiercely protective of each other is also so admirable. 

Like how granny would get the maids to guard ML's place so there wouldn't be spies snooping around, so ML can cry her heart out after the heartbreak. 

Or even when she got angry because her poor ML was hurt, when she told the nanny to kick the Qi family out with a stick if they ever come mentioning Bros and sis again.

Or how ML would save granny first the moment she saw the bandits on ship, disregarding her own. And granny, even in her confused state, still calls for her! 

Well said chingu @m0us3y on ML and her grandma's interaction.  I love their relationship, I also believe she considers Ming Lan as a daughter. Her pledge  " As long as I am alive you won't " I can't remember the rest.. Smh smh smh  The love they have for each other. Ming Lan is so nice and caring. I was glad she was able to be herself on the trip with ML's grandmother friends family. 

Archived