[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

The next episodes I hope I find these scenes :

1. ET calls KS "Oppa" , their age gap is not far anymore

2. KS tells ET that she's his first love (and the last)

3. KS proposes her, ET should be bride or at least bride to be 

Hello production team out there, I know you are a lurker in this thread :ph34r:

• Like 13

8 hours ago, __jesse said:

The Colour Theory – Part 3

ET → Red; KS → Blue

Something extraordinary happens when a blue element meets a red element.

Hide contents

Sunny → Yellow; WY → Black

Sunny represents the sun, while WY represents darkness.

Hide contents

Sunny’s bed sheets were yellow, and GR gave her a bouquet of yellow flowers.

WY kept his painting of the queen in a black scroll.

PJW: The majesty’s body and mind have fallen ill.

When they first showed the adult WY, I thought he was wearing a gold hanbok, but actually it was white. This scene was particularly telling of the king’s mental state at that point in time. WY had stripped off his royal black robe, which remained prominently placed by his side, and instead he donned a white hanbok. White was the colour of mourning in Goryeo; purple lips also wore white when the king died. It took WY 20 years to recognise his wrongdoings and finally don a white hanbok to mourn for his queen’s unjust death.

Shoutout to @selenette for reminding me about this. WY’s hanja name黎 (Yeo) means ‘black’. WY had always lived in darkness, waiting for the sun to rise again (黎明 = dawn). It’s interesting to note how the pd cleverly used sunlight to illustrate WY’s character growth. From a full eclipse to sun rays peeking out from behind him, WY finally saw the coming of dawn as he realised that he was loved by many all along.

@__jesse  I love the new development of the theory! So the sacred meeting of "blue" and "red" are no longer limited to Deok-hwa and the Red Lady, but now is confirmed betwen our main OTP as well.

On the other hand, regarding Wang Yeo and sunlight, there's another scene in Ep 13 where the camera lens flare is so bright that it looks like sunlight. 

goblin13-00802.jpg

Cr: Dramabeans

The lens flare begins at the back of Wang Yeo's head until it gets larger and larger and pierces his entire body. And since this is a pivotal scene, where he regains his (tormenting) memories, it really signifies the connection between the memories and Sunny (sunlight).

If you are interested, the flowers on the jade ring are probably peach blossoms (notice the yellow stamen). 

white-flowers-5217-5461-hd-wallpapers-th

Tagging @LyraYoo and @staygoldbecause this post is a bit cinematographic.

Edited by selenette
  • Like 16

For the extra special episode, besides focusing on GB, GR, ET, I like they focus on Samshin's kindness and Secretary Kim's cuteness.

For the 1st time, Goblin is the only drama I've been and will be re watching again and again especially because of my :heart: for KS & ET together with the amazing background sceneries/ locations and BGM/ OSTs.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, selenette said:

@__jesse  I love the new development of the theory! So the sacred meeting of "blue" and "red" are no longer limited to Deok-hwa and the Red Lady, but now is confirmed betwen our main OTP as well.

On the other hand, regarding Wang Yeo and sunlight, there's another scene in Ep 13 where the camera lens flare is so bright that it looks like sunlight. 

The lens flare begins at the back of Wang Yeo's head until it gets larger and larger and pierces his entire body. And since this is a pivotal scene, where he regains his (tormenting) memories, it really signifies the connection between the memories and Sunny (sunlight).

If you are interested, the flowers on the jade ring are probably peach blossoms (notice the yellow stamen).

Woow, omg I never thought about it.This makes it sadder. :bawling: I also noticed that the shaky camera (to the point where I thought it could almost collapse) used there was to imply GR's current state of mind and heart. :bawling::bawling: 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ucylucy said:

Sorry to cut your post short. In my opinion, the best subtitle is from Viki - they almost try to do a direct translation from Hangul and note when there is a word play in use (like when Eun Tak uses "gum" (sword) to tease Kim Shin). Next would probably be Viu and then Dramafever. Dramafever is a hit and miss - sometimes it's good but sometimes it's a total miss. I usually watch Viu first (it comes out first), then Dramafever and finish it off with Viki (they spent more time with their translations to make sure it's accurate).

For comparison, I'll compare the words that Kim Shin spoke to Eun Tak in his final moment with her:

Dramafever subtitle: My life must have been a reward since I met you.  

I'll try asking God to let me come back with the first snowfall of the season.

I'll ask just for that. I'll try asking God to let me do that.

Viu subtitle: Meeting you was the reward of my life. 

I will come as the rain.

I will come as the first snow fall.

I will beg the divinity to let me do just that.

I don't have Viki to compare this scene yet but I find that Viki is the most accurate when it comes to translating from Korean to English. Viu is consistent in their translation (can be off sometimes) but Dramafever is a hit and miss. But it's to each person's personal preference - some people might find the direct translation too wordy and prefer the more simplified translation. 

I will rank the accuracy of translations the same way you have too. Viki > Viu > Dramafever

Viu, in this case, is definitely more accurate than Dramafever. The Korean lines are exactly as brief as that. I feel that Dramafever has decided to go for the aesthetics of poetry in Kim Shin's words, but length and complexity of the sentences may end up overcomplicating and obscuring the earnest sincerity in Kim Shin's words. Who would logically speak for that length when they are about to leave? There has to be some melancholic sincerity in wanting to convey their messages across.

I have seen Ep 13 twice, and just when I replay the last scene as I write this, I cannot help but be moved by the scene again. :bawling:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%205.52.0

• Like 22

I'm so glad I finally found this forum. I've been looking for a place who analyze, overanalyze, and obsess over dramas, particularly Goblin. I feel right at home and actually read through 1/4 of the posts. Can't wait to read more analysis from you all.

• Like 22