[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

9 hours ago, selenette said:

@Sarang21 I agree with you wholeheartedly about the scrolls (and I credited you for your argument in a post).

Also...

1. the room's seemingly private arrangement,

2. as well as the scroll's newness,

3. and the paints and  brushes (see yellow rectangle)

make me think that the scroll, the painting of the Queen which Kim Shin still carries around to this day...was probably painted by the King himself, in secret, unfinished, because he died. :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

What would they say to each other once they find out about this ? :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

This and Ep 9's preview, especially when 4 of the 5 main characters laughed together (thanks, @Jloves), pierced my heart with sadness. :bawling::bawling::bawling: 

Just wanted to jump in to say that Sunny's dominance can be explained by eastern ideology i.e. king wronged her in the past and owes her a debt so in the present he needs to pay back this debt to her. As his creditor she naturally enjoys dominance. 

Separately, i also think that Sunny and GR have different faces from their oast lives which is why GR cannot yet link the oainting to Sunny and Shin cannot link GR to the king. Granted they were younger and have now grown up but unless they underwent extensive plastic surgery they cant look too different from their younger selves.

• Like 20

“Goblin” To Broadcast In Japan In March 2017 

Goblin2.jpg

On December 28, an industry source stated, “tvN’s ‘Goblin’ will be airing on Mnet Japan in March of next year.” CJ E&M confirmed this news saying, “It is true that it will officially air in Japan in March.”

Previous Korean dramas that Mnet Japan broadcasted include “Orange Marmalade,” “Cheese in the Trap,” “Drinking Solo,” and more.

“Goblin” has been gaining massive popularity, not just domestically, but all over Asia. Broadcast of “Goblin” on Mnet Japan is believed to increase the drama’s popularity even more.

Not only is “Goblin” first place in viewership ratings, it is also number one in content power rankings and TV issue index. 

What are your thoughts on this news?

https://www.soompi.com/2016/12/28/goblin-broadcast-japan-march-2017/
  • Like 24

4 hours ago, RobinM said:

No. I actually watch this drama quite well but thanks for the concern. 

Maybe she could be the direct Eun Tak we all know and confront him to get  the whole story right there instead of taking it upon herself to run and make him worried and desperate to find her?  If this is actually what happens. We don't know. She may have been planning to leave but her actual reason  for bolting to a ski resort and not telling anyone is pure noble idiocy particularly if and when he finds her, tries to talk to her and she refuses to listen. 

Yeah I get what you wish to see. Maybe it's just that I feel a Eun Tak who is a little bit different from the direct ET you feel. In my view, she is the one who can naturally easily express her feeling and directly ask the questions that concern her; but also the one who quickly accepts the situation. Consider the birthday cake scene at epi 1 when ET found out her mom was dead, she cried a lot, hurt a lot but also quickly accepted the death of her mom. She also quickly accepted that she was bride of a dokaebi. At the scene when KS first touched her hair (maybe epi6?), before that she confessed that she also wished to see her future at 20, 30 years old despite her having no future; but she consoled KS that if it is her fate, she will accept it, and told KS not to worry, "I won't be miserable all the times" then. Also, because she confessed her affection and asked quite many times about how KS's feeling towards her, but only received an indifferent response from him, she accepted that this ahjussi does not like her, so she had decided to move out. And now, knowing that her pulling the sword will kill KS, she decides to run sooner. That's totally sensible to me. 

By the way, when we are now clueless about how the story is going to turn out, may we start deconstructing the characters traits and emoti so that we may figure out their next action? I am really eager to know you guys' point then :)

• Like 16

@hamaji re : uri Kim Shin, prepare the heart!

what the show does to us on the end of this year with that gloomy preview :') but I... Like those bittersweet dark theme dramas actually, am I evil? (hahaha) after all, I just want our pairs have a happy ending one :)

trueeee! I'm envy ET so much, they are dream squad. I would really love it if DH joins too:wub:

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, CatchMine_ID said:

@hamaji re : uri Kim Shin, prepare the heart!

what the show does to us on the end of this year with that gloomy preview :') but I... Like those bittersweet dark theme dramas actually, am I evil? (hahaha) after all, I just want our pairs have a happy ending one :)

trueeee! I'm envy ET so much, they are dream squad. I would really love it if DH joins too:wub:

noooo you are not evil coz i love me some angst bittersweet dark too, for as long uri OTP get the happy ending tho :phew:

@Chellsee aahhhh those pics from preview, so beautiful! and KS face there :cry:

btw anyone know when they're gonna release mamamoo's song? is it after episode 9?

• Like 8

all this time i've been focusing on main OTP, now i wanna share my thoughts about GR, Sunny, and DH..

Grim Reaper

There have been many appeareance of him in this drama since 1st ep. we can say his role is quite major, so i can say that he has a huge role/part/influence in GB's life, whether it's in the past or present. i like his character development too. we can see him bickering with GB, tried to 'reap' ET's life, looked 'evil' even to DH. but now look at him having cute arguments with GB, taking advises from ET, and helped DH. He's developing.

Sunny

I have big expectation at first for this character. sadly, ep after ep, i don't see much character development from her. her character is stagnant. may i say, boring? whenever i saw the drama, what i saw from her is she constantly annoyed, sulking at GR :sweatingbullets: i wanna see different side of her. if she is the queen, which will have a big role in GB's life, i think the writer would've give her more than just focusing on GR only. she should have more story in present life. but i don't see it..(or maybe in the next episodes there'll be some development).

Deok Hwa

From a childish and materialistic boy, now we can see that he has more than that. he care about GB's health, he dropped ET to school, cleaned up problem created by GB, he is a great helper for GB and ET:blush: he looks like a brat but he's also a sweet grandpa's granchild. and i don't think he has 'hidden agenda' or maybe he's a god or any other creature that has super power. he's just simply a sweet but clever boy :phew:

that's just my pure thoughts. no offense:)

• Like 20

So...ET is trying to get away from KS because she doesn't wanna pull out the sword and have him disappear while KS is desperate to find her to keep her from dying because she doesn't wanna pull the sword out. Damn that sword. That is some deep ish! Why KES gotta be so good in twisting and turning and playing with our emotions?! 

As for now, it seems like ET has taken the choice any 19 year old would do if they are EVER in this situation, by running away. Hopefully KS can find her before anything drastic happens :tears: Idt he will be able to live with himself if anything happens to her, especially if he's gonna be living for another 1000 years *yikes* AND this is where my theory of the GR erasing her memories comes in :) I AM SO SURE SHE'S GONNA FORGET SHE MET KS! Sad...but I'm sure KS's comeback into her life will be epic!! 

• Like 19

Wow this thread movement is too fast! My last post was somewhere 100-ish page behind, LoL.. Thank you for sharing the preview, I've been waiting, but..but.... Feels like it will be more sad and dark than latest episode? Hahhh... I don't mind the angst part at all, just wishing the happy ending for both goblin couple and wangsun couple that's all I want...! I've been invest my leasure time to rewatching this drama with Viki sub, I ussualy watch in Viuapp because they are the fastest hahahah.. Now I understand the plot much better.. :)

• Like 15

55 minutes ago, romanov said:

Deok Hwa

From a childish and materialistic boy, now we can see that he has more than that. he care about GB's health, he dropped ET to school, cleaned up problem created by GB, he is a great helper for GB and ET:blush: he looks like a brat but he's also a sweet grandpa's granchild. and i don't think he has 'hidden agenda' or maybe he's a god or any other creature that has super power. he's just simply a sweet but clever boy :phew:

that's just my pure thoughts. no offense:)

agree on DH

• Like 10

4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Yes, I knew about the sun mirror. :)

I should have brought it up. But the reason I didn’t was because back in Episode 1, when the Reaper was moving in, DH told him that the rental house was fully furnished. “All the furniture that you see is included so you just needed to move.” Therefore, the mirror belonged to Shin, and to me, the king symbolism attached to mirror cannot be attributed to the Reaper.      

As for your interpretation of the mirror, yes, that’s certainly one way of looking at mirrors in general. However, the mirror did NOT function like that in the other instance it was used in the kdrama – with the cabbage grandmother at the bridge. In that instance, the mirror wasn’t at all a “window” but the real reflection of reality. On it, we saw who the pretty street vendor really was. The mirror showed the real identity of the grandmother. That’s why I wrote that the sun mirror reflects their identity, too. I was trying to be consistent. 

Interestingly enough, the mirror could have been used on the Reaper there too. But the reflected sunlight blinded him and he closed his eyes. When he opened them, the spotlight was on the ring. I guess he wasn't ready for the truth then either. 

--- ooops, I almost forgot! In Episode 8, when ET was walking with that pretty dead student, they both walked in front of the mirror, and the student's real and horrible condition was shown too.

As for DH’s loyalty to both the Reaper and Shin, I’m glad you brought that up. If the Reaper is the Queen/sister, then it is only natural that DH will serve the whole family, both the Reaper and Shin equally. He won’t have divided loyalties.  

What’s more important for me, however, is the Hanja text that DH read in Shin’s diary. I don’t know what’s written but Shin has been going on and on about this for the last two episodes, lol. He'll probably write something like:  After a 100 years, on a good enough day, let me confess my first love, I ask the gods to listen to me. 

If so, then I can see how it is both a love confession and a death wish at the same time. It means: his LAST wish before dying is to confess his FIRST love to her.

Somebody as young (he's only 25, right?) and relatively untried-and-untested as DH will probably be confused whether to emphasize the "death wish" part or the "love confession" part. DH is only going by with what (little) he knows, so I'm cutting him slack. For now. 

For me, though, the word LISTEN will probably critical. That’s the one act he did when ET’s mom prayed for help when she was dying: LISTEN to her plea, and because he did so, he changed his life.  That’s also the word ET drew on his palm: LISTEN. And that’s one thing he thought the deities failed to do when he laid dying, and when he buried those grandsons in a foreign land: LISTEN to him. 

Now, he’s beseeching the gods to LISTEN to him one more time. I wonder what he’ll do if they turn deaf ears to him again....

I love your post. Particularly your point on the word "listen". Shin made that the cornerstone of his life as a goblin, didn't he? He listened to people and chose if and when to steer a life, to enter a moment of their despair and let them know they were heard. Aw, this "listen" really gives even more fantastic layers to Shin for me. 

• Like 13