[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

Ji Eun Tak is no longer a missing soul, and she needs to die to amend that. She did not drink the oblivion tea. Because she wants to remember Kim Shin on the next life. The reincarnation is mentioned and embedded in the narrative since the beginning. And even the diety who attempted to erase Eun Tak memories failed. 

Reincarnation is an established belief in Korea (remember when you read of "Did he save the country from his past life?" mantras ? ) . Writer had made that clear. In Eun Tak 's first life (as also mentioned by samshin halmoni) she was branded a missing soul. And only death can reset that , no other. They can not mess with the order most of the times. Also Grim Reaper cant be there forever because he has to finish his GR duties too. 

I love how the grim reaper - sunny arc ended too. Because no way can a Grim Reaper- Human have a relationship in the order of the world they both live in. And Grim as grim waited for her to die before his duty ended (same as the lovers he gave the oblivion tea but both refused).

At first I was skeptical on why the wedding came first at the first part of the episode. But it makes sense now that the wedding was made prior to Ji Eun Tak's death, First love never dies it seems. And that will remain to her memory even after she dies , carrying it in her next life. The wedding,and those happy memories prelude to what is yet to come. And Kim Shin, had waited.

Thank you so much for expounding the reincarnation theme of the drama which i totally overlooked....you helped me feel better through explaning that everything happens for the good of everyone and to balance it out the girls need to go to that process to be together with the men that they love....i like that you pointed it out that the men faithfully waited for their beloved ladies so as to be with them eternally...after reading your post i appreciated the finale and has help me ease the frustration i have after watching the finale episode.

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, nearsea said:

THANK YOU. See, may be I would have taken you as KES"s assistant script writer, than the ones who're feeding her all those sad stories. Lol, jokes apart, as I said in the above mentioned post, it won't make sense if ET reincarnates, as I would rather like to think this way that everyone else around Shin and Tak changes, except them. So, cue to the time when they were having dinner in the Canadian restaurant, when ET said she won't mind spending life with her for eternity if Shin is with her. 

you're welcome. 

i needed to explain to myself my own thoughts about this, too. KS did say, one or two out of 100 are born with the same face as their previous life. it's enough for me to know a miracle happened when she came back reanimated or reincarnated in her own form, hopefully as an whom she's meant to be, as KS' wife. in the special, whether or not KES says that ET is an immortal living with KS, i'm glad we came to the final episode with her meeting him.

Spoiler

i write when i can. scripts and stories, but i only share them among friends. i don't intend to be a full time writer. philosophy, history and areas of mythology also guide my stories. i've challenge myself to habitually understand movies, series and books through the creator first, and then the stories they tell. dramaturgy and scrutinising a novelist, philosopher, writer, screenwriter, movie director, auteur's personality in their work...is an avoidable habit. 

on a good fantasy like day, i'd like to be KES' assistant but i have a job already. maybe in another life. haha.

• Like 7

@selenette aww thank you so much for tagging me, i enjoyed discussing our wangsun with you too... It is always better when the journey is shared ^^ But I am not ready to say goodbye to this drama and thread before watching it with subs and writing my thoughs after that... Hope to see you and everyone else on a different drama ^^ (possibly tomorrow with you haha)

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

hmm.. she is human.. and will die again.. and he is stuck for eternity.. and like this time, it took her abt 60-65 years to get reincarnated.. there are no guarantees that god will keep being kind and let her come back with the memories of past life each time..

So, its actually a sad ending.. 

the story is out an out sad eternal love

And remember at the water fountain, Ji Eun Tak said that she believes in eternal sad love when the Goblin asked her if she believed in eternal sadness or eternal love.

Perfect ending then.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, jellybellymonster said:

I haven't been able to join you guys during liverecap of the last 3 episodes because I am on vacation. But I still can't resist watching Goblin. 

Truthfully, I was really worried what KES is up to when episode 13 ended like that because she had 3 more episodes to work with. I thought she will tie up everything nicely. I don't know... I still need the subbed episode but I am just so dissatisfied with the ending. It feels utterly pointless to have KS go through all of that again and again. Ad infinitum. Sure, there's ET to look forward to. But still, nothing got resolved.

Anyway, I had real fun in this thread! I hope to see you in another drama thread! 

@naritul @itzibitzispider many thanks for keeping me updated on today's episode while the mobile "wife rental" device's battery went out. And also for our daily conversations. 

@turtle0217 chinguyaaaa the poetry book already arrived first week of January. Sooo nice! I'm just lazy to post pictures. Hehe. @valzki the book looks like just how it did in the drama. There's just a tvn slip that you can remove. 

this, really. Hahaha truthfully I just want to remember how this drama is so awesome, jaw-dropping as the end of episode 7, 8 and 13

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hallee said:

Thank you so much for expounding the reincarnation theme of the drama which i totally overlooked....you help me feel better through explaning that everything happens for the good of everyone and to balance it out the girls needs to go to that process to be together with the men that they love....i like that you pointed it out that the men faithfully waited for their beloved ladies so as to be with them eternally...after reading your post i appreciated the finale and has help me ease the frustration i have after watching the finale episode.

I have not seen either episode 15  and 16 yet, but this seems like it was a perfect ending to a drama that forced everyone to think about living a good life, passing it on, and understanding that love is more bodies in the dark or lust.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nearsea said:

@natouuu @ChunSungIm I don't know, what happens after fourth life passes by? Rather I would like to think what amber byul said , that ET is using a different name to avoid public eyes at her. Also see how she doesn't even need to be 'reminded' about her past life, and she voluntarily comes to canada, not the opposite, Shin didn't go to her first. So, that's something different than what happened with Sunny's life. I don't know, may be we would interpret differently according to what suits us at the end.

no one knows what can be after finishing fourth life and this is another question to think a lil bit about it ; ) that's why i really like the end like this: gives a lot of questions without answers - everyone can interpret as want and this is much better than happy ending with wedding, kids and full of happiness. I think kind of bittersweet is more memorable for the viewers.

About Sunny and GR they did the best job what they could do. :D

• Like 7

Funny how the name of the drama speaks it all: "Lonely and great god: Goblin".  I'm like satisfied but still not entirely happy with the ending. It hurt seeing GB left all alone... But it's true, the world needs him, needs someone who makes miracles and protects people... Although I think, he deserved to finally rest in peace but it was his choice to return... 

Heheh I think I put too much faith in the writer, but I don't blame her still...  Endings are the hardest parts, they are conclusions that have to wrap up everything like it deserves... First 14 episodes were such high quality that yeah, majority wouldn't be able to pull off the ending it deserved. 

If i had the choice, I would give the chance to goblin to return to afterlife, or just become human and live one happy life with ET.  I liked the GR/SN closure, they finally got the happy ending...  But I think I'll be forever bitter about GB left alone, not even his friend GR with him :unsure:

• Like 16

my last translation for goblin... episode 16 

(not 100% accurate)

Spoiler

KS: I’m saying this because the weather is good enough and because you are always shining. All of first love that I told you is you. In this good weather, will you be the bride of this man from Goryeo?
ET: Yes. I’ll be the bride of this lonely man. I’ll be this great man first and last bride

SN: I’ll go after 50 people pass. One. Two. Forty seven. Forty eight. Forty nine
WY: One. Two. Three
SN: I won’t give any news. In this life, we can’t meet each other again. Can I hug you for once?
SN: Be well
WY: Goodbye
WY: And that’s how we parted in this life. It will be a long time before I hear about her

KS: Until death breaks us down, all your words. Whatever it is. I do
ET: Even if death does break us down, all your words. Whatever it is. I do

ET: It looks delicious
WY: We need to cool the champagne
DH: Uncle! I think I’m going to be drunk even though I haven’t drunk
KS: How can you be drunk already? Drink it one shot
DH: Uncle why are you doing this too?
ET: Are you okay? You didn’t look good
Kim: I’m okay
WY: Okay, the temperature is good enough. Do you want a glass?
Kim: Yes
ET: Oh? Ah you really (to KS)
DH: CEO Kim? Please be careful. Both of you are so reckless with your power. What is it? why do I think I have said this?
Kim, WY: Sing, Sing

KS: How can you leave like this?
ET: I’m sorry. I’m really sorry
ET: Please look at me. Let me look at your face. Ahjussi, one of my wishes haven’t come true. Can you grant it now? Don’t be sad for too long because we will meet again. Wait for me. Don’t make rain so often because it will make others uncomfortable
KS: Why do I still alive? How I can live without you?
ET: I will be gone for a while. I promise you. This time, I will be the one who go to you. I will certainly look for you. In the next life if I get reborn I will be by your side for a long time. I will ask for that and persuade people in the there (heaven). Everyone has left. Please look after him (to WY)
WY: *nod* Drink this and you will forget your memories of this life
ET: I won’t drink the tea. Now I have to go. I will come soon. I will run to you
KS: You have to come. Even if it 100 years later or 200 years later. I’ll be waiting for you. You have to.  

WY: She said that she won’t give any news. It has come
WY: My last work
KS: Goodbye
WY: Be well
KS: Be happy whenever it is and whatever you become
WY: You have lived well. Don’t make it rain
KS: Don’t worry

WY: I want to put this ring on you properly. I’m sorry that I couldn’t do it properly last time
SN: I missed you dearly
WY: I knew it. You are my last deceased soul
SN: I see. So what will happen to us later? Will we have happy ending?
WY: Your last life is your 3rd life
SN: How about you?
WY: I’m not sure
SN: So this might be your last chance too/ it is your last work too
WY: Your brother has come. He’s outside
KS: You didn’t change at all
SN: I feel good that I can see you again after a long time
KS: My brother-in-law (?) live well too
SN: I’m sorry for going first and leaving you behind. Please be healthy. Let’s meet each other again
KS: Be happy, my ugly sister

Thank you for liking my translations even though it's not accurate.. :blush:

oh if anyone curious about the song that ShinTak sang together, this is the song

Travel Sketch - Fate

eng sub

Spoiler

Meeting you among these many people is truly fortunate
If I didn’t meet you in this wasteland-like world

Meeting you in the middle of this big world is such a joy
If I didn’t meet you in my thorn tree-like heart

I can’t stand the pain of the past
I would have been buried as dirt somewhere
I am in love with you, who I am looking at
I haven’t told you yet but
You’re the reason I live and breathe

Meeting you among these many people is truly fortunate
If I didn’t meet you in this wasteland-like world

Meeting you in the middle of this big world is such a joy
If I didn’t meet you in my thorn tree-like heart

Our encounter wasn’t an accident but destiny

engsub credits: popgasa (with a little edit here and there from me to match the song from the youtube clip that I attach)

• Like 23

to say this is masterpiece of kim eun sook,i say yes,first time she wrote fantasy drama with a lot of references,the delivered word,poems script are well written.i dont want to give a long essay about this drama,this drama is great with all the genre in their story (romance,love,funny,tragic,sad),all the cast are perfect,gong yoo and of course kim go eun,this is her second drama in her career acting (all are tvN drama),still remember im lurking from page 1 and post about kim go eun will be casted in this drama.some soompiers that turned down to not watch the drama because kim go eun,but at last she is shining in this drama. i know all kim eun sook drama,but not into this genre so much. goblin will be remembered as good drama for 3-4 years in the future.thank you goblin for 8 weeks cheering me up ,thank you so much

as for last best words,i used eun tak and kim shin quotes :

“Life is a momentary thing. You come & you go” - Ji Eun Tak

“All of my time with you was brilliant. Because the days were good, because they weren’t, because they were just right, I loved every one of them.” - Kim Shin

• Like 23

I honestly felt that the accident could have been avoided. EunTak could have blown the candle and KimShin would definitely be there to save her or stop time, rather than her parking the car there and wait for the truck to send her to the tearoom. The accident felt too forced. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Amber Byul said:

you're welcome. 

i needed to explain to myself my own thoughts about this, too. KS did say, one or two out of 100 are born with the same face as their previous life. it's enough for me to know a miracle happened when she came back reanimated or reincarnated in her own form, hopefully as an whom she's meant to be, as KS' wife. in the special, whether or not KES says that ET is an immortal living with KS, i'm glad we came to the final episode with her meeting him.

Yeah,also the  butterfly god who occasionally looks like deok hwa doesn't seem like a bad god either. So may be one fine day when weather is nice he is going to finally make them live happily without any truck of doom intervening. but realistically speaking, [let me be a bore] what bothers me is that in the first second third fourth life theory ET always has to stay cautious about the time when she's going to die. How scary it must be to live like that!  Let's say that the writer wanted to make the ending melancholic and poetic so we have to read between the words. But I liked your theory, so I would probably go with that.

• Like 3

@selenette, thanks for the mention. It's been a fun time here, chiming in mid-series. I wanted to avoid Soompi because I didn't want to end up discussing another drama (lol!) But I did. I also want to thank everyone and their thread contribution. It was really fun. I think I still love GY in Coffee Prince. But I also loved him in Goblin. I think his character projects (movie or drama) will always pull on my heartstrings. To the brainiacs here, all of you need to go to the fan fiction section of Soompi and write us a happier ending hahahaha! Thankful for writernim, cast and crew for their hardwork. Can Goblin win best tvN drama? GY and KGE with the Daesang?! All I ask for is ShinTak to be on stage together too lol! 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, lavendre said:

I honestly felt that the accident could have been avoided. EunTak could have blown the candle and KimShin would definitely be there to save her or stop time, rather than her parking the car there and wait for the truck to send her to the tearoom. The accident felt too forced. 

this we call tragedy or destiny...and also wy also didnt tell to kim shin that grim reaper will see her in 29 years old..

My bromance just only sad ending...poor them..

• Like 2