[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

32 minutes ago, Princi_86 said:

@bebebisous33 I think I have missed that evil minister was eunuch. Where is has been mentioned? Most likely need to watch again that scenes. 

I'm pretty sure he wasn't an eunuch though. He was a scholar. KS said he was a professor. He's basically one of the scholar advisors of the King who found a way to wield a lot more power than he otherwise would have had through the young king he was supposed to just tutor.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, millie10468 said:

He wasn't a eunuch though. He was a scholar. KS said he was a professor. He's basically one of the scholar advisors of the King who found a way to wield a lot more power than he otherwise would have had.

I think the confusion came because the costume color is similar to the eunuch uniforms in MDBC. Also the way he had access to the young child. He was feeding and giving piggyback rides. Seems like they merged the duties into one.

• Like 11

Pretty good eps!! I was so engrossed in the slow pace with cutie Goblin x ET couple & on/off GR x Sunny couple that the last scene take me so off guard!! I was like "Wow, such a good show :blink:"!! I really like the last scene so kudos for the writer, she always delivers in the end ^^

Oh and I really love when the red lady/deity came to congratulate ET & scolded the teacher, she was so fierce and cool!!
I can’t wait to know who DH really is ? But if DH is really God, isn't it wayyy too much? I mean GOD :vicx:

On a side note, I’m happy the ratings keeps improving, can't wait for the next eps where some question may be answered :)

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, Princi_86 said:

This episode made me cry few times. And I.m not the person who can cry easily.

Scenes which moved me:

- The part when KS has told Sunny about past + flashbacks and when Sunny felt pain in her chest.

- Sunny/Eun Tak when Sunny had pain in her chest and further bonding. Sunny had pain in heart because it still hurts. I believe that he soul still loves King Wang Yeo and it hurts that they have been separated by fate. Further bonding and ET's help moved me as well.

- ET/Samshin scene, when Samshin came to comfort ET and tell her how she's and her mom are proud of her. I knew Samshin will not hurt ET.

- Grim Reaper/Sunny. The whole scene when she discovers that he's GR made me cry. Their eyes told us everything. And overall this scene has been filmed so gretly even though there were no beautiful backgroung scenery.

Questions:

- How did Sunny find out that HE (Kim Woo Bin who she knows) is there? How she knew that she need to use that cherry blossom brunch to...do what? How did she know? Who has told her...evil Minister or girl GR?

- It is confirmed that Evil Minister is second missing soul and our uri GR has met him 20 years ago (of cours he doesn't remember him).  Question 1: why is he still in the same clothes as when he has died? ET changes her clothers and lives normal life. 

Question 2: If he's missing soul then they dont't have his name to fill the documents. Thus if GR will remember the past and the evil minister's name, then he can write down his name and turn it to the real hunt. ET as missing soul has KS and GR to protect her. Missing soul Evil Minister doesn't have such force.

Observations:

I knew it. I knew that even though young King has trusted evil "father" he was trying to protect his queen, We can see that he has ordered not to give her any medicine since he was afraid Queen will be spoiled. I'm sofreaking want to see more flashbacks but form King's pov. To see his real intensions and not what Kim Shin knows from Quween's latters or rumors.

ET has been connected to KS in past life. We had that hint when ET has asked KS can it be possible that she was present in his past life.

If evil minister is missing soul then missing souls can live forever is they're hiding. Does it mean that ET can leave forever as well while she's avoiding her fate?

Preview is always missleading, so I hope that Sunny's memory won't be erased as @winterdewhas mentioned. But still that scene...LDW and YIN are magnificient in angst scenes. 

In preview KS says to someone "You must have been so lonley. Forgive me." Whom he tells it? Can it be Wang Yeo and we will not have our bromance to be ruined? But still I have bad feeling that Evil Minister will tell WY the story of his past in all colors and exaggerations and WY being totally messed will decide to remove himself from KS and Sunny's lifes. 

And just wanted to share. Both LDW and YIN can impress with their acting just in few seconds. Angsty Pich couple :tears:

The difference between ET and the Evil Eunuch is, that ET is alive. She is a missing soul because she was supposed to die but was brought back to live through KS. The Evil Eunuch on the other hand is dead, and he is a missing soul because he probably escaped from the GR who was supposed to take him. 

• Like 20

I just watched scene when Et say died together...Then Kim Shin compliment he will handle it..That scene so power..She be ready to died together..How sweet:wub:

I bring back the stills i got from Fb in here...

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1483012936858.jpg

Writer I beg you...please not be happen...credit to owner...

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, loveka9 said:

Oh and I really love when the red lady/deity came to congratulate ET & scolded the teacher, she was so fierce and cool!!
I can’t wait to know who DH really is ? But if DH is really God, isn't it wayyy too much? I mean GOD :vicx:

Ah me too! I loved that scene. That character has a lot of charisma!

And ET recognizing her after that. I also liked how she scolded the teacher.

ETA: https://www.viki.com/celebrities/14130pr-lee-el

Oh my god! She was in White Christmas! That is where I remember her from!! Wow!

• Like 7

@hushhh The thing is, Grim Reapers are not reincarnations but dead souls who are assigned to reap other dead souls. The junior Grim Reaper (Samshin's tenant) and our Grim Reaper said so in Eps 2 and 4.

Since their tasks are located between the world of the living and the dead, they are "privileged", in the sense that they appear as humans, in solid corporeal bodies--unlike common ghosts--and have bodily needs for food, drink, and shelter. 

Therefore, as dead souls, their sexes = those of their living selves', i.e. the males are still males, females are still females. They can only alter their appearances (badly wounded to pristine (like Jung-hyun in Ep 8), old to young (the boy in Quebec), etc). Some can't or don't even change their appearances (like the blind man).

So yes, our Grim Reaper was the king. This is his current soul form.

Edited by selenette
  • Like 21

16 minutes ago, staygold said:

I think the confusion came because the costume color is similar to the eunuch uniforms in MDBC. Also the way he had access to the young child. He was feeding and giving piggyback rides. Seems like they merged the duties into one.

The color green is quite typical of the Eunuchs' robe though.Plus their duties were quite open and they often were scholars as well.

"Korea

The eunuchs of Korea, called Naesi (내시, 內侍), were officials to the king and other royalty in traditional Korean society. The first recorded appearance of a Korean eunuch was in Goryeosa (“History of Goryeo”), a compilation about the Goryeo period. In 1392, with the founding of the Joseon Dynasty, the Naesi system was revised, and the department was renamed the “Department of Naesi” (내시부, 內侍府).

The Naesi system included two ranks, those of Sangseon (상선, 尙膳, “Chief of Naesi”), who held the official title of senior second rank, andNaegwan (내관, 內官, “Common official naesi”), both of which held rank as officers. 140 naesi in total served the palace in Joseon Dynasty period. They also took the exam on Confucianism every month.[25] The naesi system was repealed in 1894 following Gabo reform.

Early on, castration consisted of daubing a boy’s genitals with human feces and having a dog bite them off. During the Yuan Dynasty, eunuchs became a desirable commodity for tributes, and dog bites were replaced by more sophisticated surgical techniques."

Source: Eunuch

On a side note: their genitals bitten off by a dog?!? :dizzy:

Here is a description of the robe, but in Korean:

top_img.jpg

http://thestory.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/08/08/2016080801702.html

• Like 15

@carolinedl Thanks so much for the information! I wonder if there were circumstances that would "force" people to become eunuchs in history (like Hong Ra-on in Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds), maybe their families were impoverished in some misfortune, etc...

I also wonder, since Eunuch Park wanted to be a king and put a king under his heels, was he an impoverished/unfortunate nobleman himself? I mean he certainly cultivated a sense for learning, which was uncommon in that era (or so I think) for lowborn people. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

170106 Rating Ep 11

AGB Nielsen: nationwide - 13.9%

Seoul - 15.8%

My beautiful couple.

According to this article, rating ep 11 is 14,973%

I think it is IPTV rating

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=21090777&cloc=

Edited by jeijei
Quoted image
  • Like 5

Aigoooooo...that man at the end was so gross...hand and dark mouth and tongue....won't be able to sleep tonight

Seems GB will give him what he deserved in the past

GR to Sunny: Forget me... :tears:...to forget? Wookie? Never.......:wub:

• Like 8

2 hours ago, itzibitzispider said:

s-l400.jpg

Did anyone before find that ?

@itzibitzispider I found it  branded everywhere on the hotel amenities, but I thought the symbol on the left was the Goblin (with sword on his chest), and the one on the right was a candle on a candle holder.:sweatingbullets:

Edited by selenette
  • Like 8

Wait...how did DH know about Sunny's identity that she's KSs sister? Was that a secret he was suppose to keep when the GR was crying because of the portrait? AND Eunuch Park had the audacity to run away from a Grim Reaper 20 years ago that's why he hasn't passed on. I've been wondering why he has been roaming around. He IS the other missing soul. Big reveals in the next episode! I have a feeling that GR will get the heartbreaking blow tomorrow. I am looking forward to it. With a lot of crying and maybe hugs too lol! (I should stop laughing during serious situations)

Additional thought: GY and KGE's scenes are adorable. I like how ET tortures KS with her Tae-Hee oppa and college blind date mini skirt scare tactics. She knows how its done. HAHAHA!

• Like 16

I've been asking myself what was of the evil eunuch because he was the responsible of all that tragedy and how was he punished but wow. This gave me the chills. 

He's been here the whole time, he knows Shin is here and now and that Eun-tak is his bride,  but he also has met Wang Yeo as a grim reaper. Has he been watching them? What does he want now. He must hate Shin even more, but what is he waiting for? 

Omg I'm super excited. 

• Like 9

A Thai officemate was watching Ep. 11 in the pantry this morning. If you're in this thread, hello~ I'm thinking of a Soompi PH Goblin fans meet-up in Manila. 

And so the villain has shown himself. Last weekend I was wondering who that would be aside from fate itself. The eunuch looks like a malevolent ghost. You know, similar from Arang and Oh My Ghostess. But here, he retains his human form. He must had a strong reason for disliking Shin and his household.

Not fun fact: I found out just last night that I'm the most scaredy-cat moderator in this forum. 

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

The difference between ET and the Evil Eunuch is, that ET is alive. She is a missing soul because she was supposed to die but was brought back to live through KS. The Evil Eunuch on the other hand is dead, and he is a missing soul because he probably escaped from the GR who was supposed to take him. 

Then how to explain ghosts? Aren't they missing souls as well? 

• Like 5