[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

8 hours ago, Princi_86 said:

Gals

@selenette @ucylucy @bebebisous33 @packmule3 @Sarang21 @Puppywookie @joyezz @winterdew and all (I just can't remember all of your nicks) who has discussed here King and Queen topic, who is who in present time, how big is GR's sin, has he been punished already or he will be, how cruel he was and what will be his destiny. I really loved to read almost all (almost - cos I have apparently missed some ) of your thought and theories. 

Let me add to your discussions. I have already stated some thoughts before here and there and I always wanted to take part in your lively discussions, but due to end of the year had too much work. I can't find all of your posts to quote thus I will highlight the most discussed and controvercy topics.

Grim Reaper being King or Queen.

I believe that episode 8 has shown us clear answer on this matter. Besides most of you mentioned those hints: casting news, crown on his pin, neat room and desire for everything to be perfect, etc. Some of you whe are Team GR is Queen mentioned that when he was crying seeing scroll the fact that he touched his heart was feminine.

But for me it's another hint that he's the King. While Kim Shin has sword in his chest, Wang Yeo's heart has been broken after he has "killed" his beloved wife. That's why he was drawing he all those years and maybe he has even died while drawing her...from his big pain and sorrow. 

I love this art. Kim Shin suffers from pain from sword in the middle of his chest while Wang Yeo is suffering from heart ache. Both of them are punished for their sins.

Wang Yeo being not enough punished and the theory of his "life" before becoming Grim Reaper

I remember @joyezz you have mentioned that it's not that awful to be GR. Like someone who has replied you, I also think that it's big punishment. Like in preview for his character was said "I have forgotten that my Immortality is punishment". When he needs to claim people' souls like innocent kids or just people, he suffers. And he pays his debt to gods. I would rather prefer him sword in his chest then giving "Heaven" to innocent kids. But what was his life before GR? Where was he? Remember in EP2 he has explained to man who has killed ET mom and another woman, what will be his afterlife? What if he has spent 600 years in Hell? :tears: And then god has partly "forgiven" him and made GR? Or what if he has spent 600 years somewhere in between heaven and hell? Or what if he had meant to remember? I think we had that hint in EP8 that GR can return their memories by God's will:

Wang Yeo being cruel King

I know that most of you even dear @selenette think that young 16 (European age) years old King was cruel and jealous of Kim Shin or jealous about Queen. From the begining I had feeling that it's not the case. Why? I have told it before. We have seen a glimpse of King and all we know is Kim Shin's point of view and impression that he hasn't noticed jealousy in young king's eyes. And that by King's decree both Kim Shin and Queen have been killed. Why I have been hesitant? Because KES will not make one of her leads cruel and bad guy. Yes, apparently King has done sin. Cmon, all Kings in history of the world have done sins and they have been meant to go to hell since they're also responsible for lots of death. But what if the impression Kim Shin had was wrong and King hasn't being jealous neither of his popularity nor of his relationships with Queen? I will try to prove my theory with caps from episode 8. 

I bet that King loved and respected Kim Shin. I doesn't want to put HQ caps but you can re-watch this scene. Do you see jealousy or anger in King's eyes? I don't. All I see is concern. And his eyes are wet. 

Reveal hidden contents

He askes his warrior and friend to go as far as possible...maybe to save Kim Shin's life?

Reveal hidden contents

And maybe not only Kim Shin's life but Kim Sun's as well? After Kim Shin's statement King adds

Reveal hidden contents

So the concern of the King was his wife, right? What if King's and Kim Shin's enemies have schemed something and made KS to look as a traitor and in order to save both Kim Shin and his sister (King's beloved wife) who both haven't been from very noble family, from death, King decided to sent KS far away and pretend his death? 

Reveal hidden contents

As someone posted already, how can KS notify King about his own death? And look at young WY's eyes. They're wet and full of concern. What if King's biggest mistake was that he thought KS will understand his concern and idea and will follow his decree? 

Reveal hidden contents

But KS didn't follow his decree and returned to the palace. WY should have found the proper moment where there won't be enemies around to tell KS his plan. With his return he had unfollowed King's decree and proved to others that he's traitor. And as a traitor he and his family had to die. Do you remember that young King before Queen's death told KS to die and no one will be killed? But Queen said to KS "go ahead". And after that we have seen King becoming mad. Maybe King wasn't jealous but mad that his plan has beeing failed and that his wife and friend must die? King gave KS 2 chances to save his family and people: when he has ordered to go far away and when he has asked him to get himself be killed. 

It's just a theory of course. But I believe in it. I know that in any case King should have done something more to prevent those deathes. But he was 16 and he was a King. Kings in any time and part of the world shouldn't follow their own desires. And in all times and places King would kill his wife if she's considered to be a traitor, especially in that Goryeo era. 

And King...I bet he was good person. And when in his new GR's life he doesn't need to deside whon to die (everything is decided already by GOD) he can be himself, like that boy from EP7 flashbacks' who has fallen in love with KIM SUN from the first ssight. Just like GR has falled for Sunny from the first sight.

And here is my reply to those who thinks that they have fallen for looks and beauty. Have you experienced love from the first sight? I did. And it looks like the same. You're getting attracted to the person "just because". Without any explanations. We have numerous beautiful women and handsom men around. But why we're attracted to that particular one?

Reveal hidden contents

And one more hint that Wang Yeo's sins are not that bad as we used to think.

In EP7 Grandma tells to another GR:

Reveal hidden contents

Why would she say that "Maybe they didn't deserve what they got" if WY really did THAT BIG sin as becoming cruel and jealous King? I think that Grandma's words when WY and Sunny first met haven't been so cruel and it was wrong impression, the same as we have got from King being cruel and jealous. 

Anyway we will get the answers in upcoming episodes.

Sorry for long post and many captures. I have another ideas but will share them in separate post.

@Princi_86 Thanks for the compliment and for tagging me along!! cheer1 onion headI can definitely return the compliment. crazy monkeyYou gave a really new perspective of the king's behaviour. I must say that you hit the point.  good job onion head

So the banishment would have been his way to protect his wife, who was KS' sister. We all know that ministers around the king have some powerful backup and especially when the king is young, the latter has less controll about the choice of his ministers. Moreover, this would also confirm my analysis about KS: his biggest flaw is his pride. As a general, he couldn't bear the thought of being banished and sending away from his sister, after he had done so much for the king. He was a great warrior but he was a poor politician!! He was lacking in that matter. As for WY, I guess, his sin is that he is responsible for many deaths. He made the wrong decision how to protect his wife... but I would even say that maybe his selfishness was the reason why the Queen died. Maybe from the start, he knew that it was a dangerous move to make KS's sister his Queen. When he visited her disguised, maybe she was promised to him as a concubine and no more but when he saw her and fell in love with her, he wanted her to be his Queen! His ministers might have chosen him another first wife but he refused! That's another possibility! That's why they started targeting KS in order to weaker the Queen's position and take her away her title! However, the king decided to have Kim Sun as his first wife because he loved her no matter what... he couldn't give her up. 

What do you think?

@selenette @Sarang21 @naritul @ucylucy @staygold @maryofbethany

• Like 15

The whole Paju thing is really making me wonder. I didn't even realize that the library girl ghost had appeared in previous ep when ET laminated the mapple leaf, even when watching those particular scene, I thought, "Wow, ET has girl-friend?", turns out at ep.8 that she is ghost.

This drama is really interesting.

• Like 9

Fanvid rec: {AU} - KS/WY - "Hate You, Love You" by ?? - alecc-bane @ tumblr 

On 12/27/2016 at 4:07 PM, princess nour90 said:

i want to know if GR touched KS he would see his past or not coz until now GR didn't touch KS right 

@princess nour90

Seems all of the close moments so far btwn KS & GR have avoided direct contact with clothes (sleeves, etc) as a ~buffer..

I vote for random drunk dokkaebi becoming unusually ~affectionate with our pouty GR! Tongue out and winking

• Like 16

@Sarang21 heheh, I'm not that good chingu :sweatingbullets: but I'm just helping pointing out some clues :)

& oooh! I agree w/ you too w/ the resemblance of GR's & King's jealousy..maybe that's how dark the king's jealousy really is, & that must be put into light now w/ uri Sunny :phew:

13 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, ghosts can't change their appearance after they died. Notice the old ahjumma (the eldest from the triplets) hadn't changed at all compared to the picture. The real appearance of the ghost is shown in a mirror, it's reflection! A mirror is supposed to show the truth (like for example in Snow white).

@hairuchii I didn't quote your last post because I didn't want to cut it. I enjoyed reading it!! crazy monkey Great analysis... good job onion headIt was really interesting, especially when you pointed out the connection between traffic accident and god's intervention. I hadn't realised it at all. This is really interesting: traffic accident as a way to correct wrongs. Then about the ghost: I agree that she could play a bigger role, since she hesitated to talk about herself. She is also the one who pointed out that her mark was fading. We also need to know when this traffic accident happened. However, I am doubting that the ghost at the school could be our goblin's bride, maybe the bride of another goblin!

My dear chingus @selenette @Sarang21 

So I have been thinking a lot about the dilemna KS has been confronted: choose between his immortal life and the life of his bride! That's when I realised that KS had already been confronted with the same dilemna before: when he was a general!!

Back then he had to chose between his sister and his pride as general. Since the Queen supported him, he followed her advice, which ended up badly. KS couldn't bear the injustice and his sister knew about it. The sister made the sacrifice but KS regretted it and blamed himself later. In the end, the queen's death was pointless as he never succeeded to reach the king and clear the misunderstanding. He made his decision, influenced by his emotions and his sister... something he really regretted in his death. That's why he blamed himself.

So we have a similar situation in the present. God's intention seems to be pretty clear to me. Now, KS has the chance to correct the situation: he has to sacrify himself so that he won't regret anything and blame God for his indifference. As we can see, he is still upset... on the other hand, his pride as goblin exists. He likes playing God. Here again, the loved one makes a similar decision: she chooses to support the goblin, unaware of her imminent death but also that her death would have the same effect. Not only she would die, but she would also be the reason why other people would die too. It is exactly like in the past. After her death, the king ordered to kill more people from KS' household!! Exactly like the lady in red is predicting the future, if the goblin doesn't die soon.  I believe, this time KS will made a different decision. He will ask ET to pull out the sword, yet he needs to tell her the reason. Saving him would be selfish because he would be responsible for more deaths! 

This leads me to the conclusion that KS' biggest flaw is his pride and to a certain extent his selfishness.

Tell me what you think!! @maryofbethany @ucylucy @littleloony @dramu51ch0c10ve @packmule3 @ez_yan @Jloves

Thank you for the tag chingu :wub:

& what can I say??? You're SUPER BRILLIANT!! good job onion head I couldn't agree more chingu! Thanks to you, it's clear to me now about the dilemma of our dear KS! So now, KS must sacrifice himself 'cos I believe that "every sacrifice has a fruitful reward". :phew:

& I don't know what to add more chingu :sweatingbullets: I'll just tag you & others if I had another speculations.. Thank you again :)

& I really have to backread more than 5 pages :w00t: :sweatingbullets:

• Like 10

Annyeong !! Firstly , THANK YOU to all you wonderful peeps out here. You have no idea how all your posts have helped me during my recent travels, as I was not able to watch the weekly episodes !! Jeongmal gomawo uri jjang chingudeul funnygifsbox.com_2016-10-04_17-54-45-1.g

@bebebisous33  Chinguya( how do you manage to pen every post that I agree upon…HAHAHAHA), reading mostly all of your analytic posts made me think of this very quote –(“There is no place for selfishness and no place for fear! Do not be afraid when love makes demands. Do not be afraid when love requires sacrifice.” Saint John Paul II ). The word “love” is the most complicated tangle in human emotions coz’  the very sentiment of  ‘love’ gives birth to an array of   emerging emotions of  egotism , envy, altruism ,rage, sadness and so on….. And, that is  exactly what most of the characters in Goblin are going through. The GR is yet to regain his memories and once he remembers his past  ,GR too, will be immersed in conflicts of emotional upheaval. I reckon, my initial inference of Goblin being   a culmination of the eventual peace and harmony takes a  backstage and all and every ounce of  that fragment is achieved only and only by the sentiment of ‘LOVE’ and what ‘Love’ ask for in it's utmost reckoning – ‘SACRIFICE’. It is said that ‘God who is ‘Love’ in itself, gave or rather sacrificed his only son for the good of humanity. Humans in turn , when it comes to ‘self-sacrifice’ weigh the outcome of their own mortality , their immense  fear of losing everything that is dear to them , their very own happiness. Thus, when it comes to the notion of “self- sacrifice’ at times the weightage of the very “self” outweighs” the nobility of ‘sacrifice”. I reckon , that is what the Samshin halmoni is trying to convey in her words to Goblin, that the price of  Love  at times comes in the greatness of sacrifice. It is always said in terms of spirituality, religious sanctity and even in finding the path to salvation, that self- sacrifice is the  highest indicator of a dedicated LOVE. ( Love that can be anything, parental, spousal, romantic, humanity….. irrespective to its form, the essence of “true and pure” love is what beckon the true path to one’s salvation)

This takes me to the point you made about KS’s selfishness when he was the Goryeo General. You are spot on with that inference. Right from the time he entered the palace gates undeterred, even though all his army men along with nearby civilian were brutally slashed to the time when the then Queen told him to march towards the King and not worry about her ‘fate”, KS’s demeanour equated to the exact definition of him being an Army General, just move forward to your destination in a battle zone come what may. But, then when KS views further massacre of  his people, their innocence being a prey to his own predicament, KS kneels down and thus the whole sacrificing of his own life by allowing his second in command to pierce KS with the sword. And, in the current situation with ET , KS is wavering with the same dilemma. The quandary of his own "self"  over the fate of ET and in turn the fate of both of them in search of happiness.

I guess, what we have seen till now is just the surface of the entire puzzle. KS’s path to salvation is even more trickier and deeper than even KS thinks it is.

• Like 14

46 minutes ago, tianaa said:

The kim sibling met OMG  was waiting for this HISTORICAL  moment ahh my poor heart hope can handle it have to buy more tissues cos i have flu :sweatingbullets:

the Kim siblings finally met

yess now Sunny can have more screen time :grin:

and WY will have to impress brother in law hahaha

omg it's getting interesting 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, winterdew said:

Thanks for pointing this out! You're absolutely right--the King being jealous is indeed Kim Shin's words. I think the Granny might be a more neutral party in this case.

I found @Princi_86's theory interesting--that the King might have tried to send KS away because he was trying to protect KS, and later on killed him and many others possibly because KS went against his decree. If that theory is right, we would still need to understand why the King was punished by God. As such, I brought in KS' point of view, that the King's act of killing could be partly emotionally motivated and that he showed no mercy, etc... which led to it being a sin and thus his punishment. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier on :) Maybe it wasn't jealousy that made him kill KS, his own wife and many others. It could be the fact that he was consumed by rage that KS failed to follow his decree? Or perhaps he felt humiliated that KS openly defied him when so many people were looking? Hope we'll get answers soon!

oh interesting theory...

n i am inclined towards it..

even i think king cud not handle inteernal politics well n thot banishing KS is best route.. but then nobody wants a traitors image..

lets see what happens9

• Like 6

8 hours ago, LoveBangWon said:

To me king or queen, in the end both are destiny to meet again, to fulfill the things they never finish in the past. . Though it was sad fate, At least they met again, they still in love with same person. . Just like the time when the king sneaking to look his queen practice to hold plate on her head as she was prepare for her wedding ceremony.. both looks so happy like in the present time, let says God to let them have a second chance. .

Agree with you no matter how i think of it what about sunny will she remember her past life am curious :blink:

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, papulichan said:

Annyeong !! Firstly , THANK YOU to all you wonderful peeps out here. You have no idea how all your posts have helped me during my recent travels, as I was not able to watch the weekly episodes !! Jeongmal gomawo uri jjang chingudeul funnygifsbox.com_2016-10-04_17-54-45-1.g

@bebebisous33  Chinguya( how do you manage to pen every post that I agree upon…HAHAHAHA), reading mostly all of your analytic posts made me think of this very quote –(“There is no place for selfishness and no place for fear! Do not be afraid when love makes demands. Do not be afraid when love requires sacrifice.” Saint John Paul II ). The word “love” is the most complicated tangle in human emotions coz’  the very sentiment of  ‘love’ gives birth to an array of   emerging emotions of  egotism , envy, altruism ,rage, sadness and so on….. And, that is  exactly what most of the characters in Goblin are going through. The GR is yet to regain his memories and once he remembers his past  ,GR too, will be immersed in conflicts of emotional upheaval. I reckon, my initial inference of Goblin being   a culmination of the eventual peace and harmony takes a  backstage and all and every ounce of  that fragment is achieved only and only by the sentiment of ‘LOVE’ and what ‘Love’ ask for in it's utmost reckoning – ‘SACRIFICE’. It is said that ‘God who is ‘Love’ in itself, gave or rather sacrificed his only son for the good of humanity. Humans in turn , when it comes to ‘self-sacrifice’ weigh the outcome of their own mortality , their immense  fear of losing everything that is dear to them , their very own happiness. Thus, when it comes to the notion of “self- sacrifice’ at times the weightage of the very “self” outweighs” the nobility of ‘sacrifice”. I reckon , that is what the Samshin halmoni is trying to convey in her words to Goblin, that the price of  Love  at times comes in the greatness of sacrifice. It is always said in terms of spirituality, religious sanctity and even in finding the path to salvation, that self- sacrifice is the  highest indicator of a dedicated LOVE. ( Love that can be anything, parental, spousal, romantic, humanity….. irrespective to its form, the essence of “true and pure” love is what beckon the true path to one’s salvation)

This takes me to the point you made about KS’s selfishness when he was the Goryeo General. You are spot on with that inference. Right from the time he entered the palace gates undeterred, even though all his army men along with nearby civilian were brutally slashed to the time when the then Queen told him to march towards the King and not worry about her ‘fate”, KS’s demeanour equated to the exact definition of him being an Army General, just move forward to your destination in a battle zone come what may. But, then when KS views further massacre of  his people, their innocence being a prey to his own predicament, KS kneels down and thus the whole sacrificing of his own life by allowing his second in command to pierce KS with the sword. And, in the current situation with ET , KS is wavering with the same dilemma. The quandary of his own "self"  over the fate of ET and in turn the fate of both of them in search of happiness.

I guess, what we have seen till now is just the surface of the entire puzzle. KS’s path to salvation is even more trickier and deeper than even KS thinks it is.

I really liked your comment because you added the Christian perspective in it which makes the Goblin even more interesting. We have in this drama a combination of many religions/believes:

- Buddhism due to the reincarnation system

- Christianism is represented with the afterlife. The director shows us how the blind man and the old man are using the staircase in order to go to heaven. GR is also associated to Christianism too (see painting from the Middle-Age)

- The existence of the goddess of fertility and birth which resembles a lot of Demeter could symbolise Greek mythology too. We have here polytheism in the Goblin's world! There are many gods, not just one! God like Zeus can be jealous and impulsive... as if he was like a human. Then the weather is manifestation of the Goblin's will (like Zeus with thunder)

- Asian belief that ghosts are present among the living.

- Korean old belief of the existence of Goblin!  

• Like 13

2 hours ago, phikyl said:

There's something that's been bothering me about this and I just figured out what it is. 

Reaper is never late to pick up a soul. In fact, more than once we've seen him get to a pickup location early. I cannot remember a single time where he was late to collect a soul, other than when ET and her mother were hit and Shin saved them. 

I don't think Grim Weeper was late. 

Nothing in his appearance seemed hurried. He noted the snow, rain and flowers and I assume he surmised there was some supernatural intervention in play.

I can't read the cards, so unless the cards had time indicated that was different from the time on his watch I don't think he was late. 

I think Goblin appeared before ET's mother's time to die and saved her, when the Grim Weeper showed up on time she was gone.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, StarUnnie said:

i think in previous life the king kills himself because of unbearable heart broken.. guilty taken its toll, maybe?? he put a knife in his heart and end his life??

hopefully the ending is not cliff hanger and sad as scarlet heart.

That is an interesting theory. Suicide itself is considered as one of the greatest sins in my faith. Its sin is even greater than killing another person.

• Like 11

All this King and Queen discussions and we're still confused...........:phew: :)

Me team: GR is the King, no matter what, killing thousand by commanding your army and your general then killing your general and his entire family including your dearly beloved wife out of jealousy is grave sin. 

Sunny: Her family name is Kim, she has to be the sister/Queen reincarnated. My theory, some outer branch of Kim family line survived somehow, so she not only is his descendant but his sister reincarnated.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, hushhh said:

I don't think Grim Weeper was late. 

Nothing in his appearance seemed hurried. He noted the snow, rain and flowers and I assume he surmised there was some supernatural intervention in play.

I can't read the cards, so unless the cards had time indicated that was different from the time on his watch I don't think he was late. 

I think Goblin appeared before ET's mother's time to die and saved her, when the Grim Weeper showed up on time she was gone.

I agree with you. He can never be too late. Either he was told to appear at that time and he was sent intentionally late or they were supposed to have just died, when he appeared. Yet, when the goblin appeared, we saw that the goblin brought her back from the death or did I see it wrong? Yet the goddess was not sure if the goblin would rescue them or not! 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Princi_86 Thanks for the compliment and for tagging me along!! cheer1 onion headI can definitely return the compliment. crazy monkeyYou gave a really new perspective of the king's behaviour. I must say that you hit the point.  good job onion head

So the banishment would have been his way to protect his wife, who was KS' sister. We all know that ministers around the king have some powerful backup and especially when the king is young, the latter has less controll about the choice of his ministers. Moreover, this would also confirm my analysis about KS: his biggest flaw is his pride. As a general, he couldn't bear the thought of being banished and sending away from his sister, after he had done so much for the king. He was a great warrior but he was a poor politician!! He was lacking in that matter. As for WY, I guess, his sin is that he is responsible for many deaths. He made the wrong decision how to protect his wife... but I would even say that maybe his selfishness was the reason why the Queen died. Maybe from the start, he knew that it was a dangerous move to make KS's sister his Queen. When he visited her disguised, maybe she was promised to him as a concubine and no more but when he saw her and fell in love with her, he wanted her to be his Queen! His ministers might have chosen him another first wife but he refused! That's another possibility! That's why they started targeting KS in order to weaker the Queen's position and take her away her title! However, the king decided to have Kim Sun as his first wife because he loved her no matter what... he couldn't give her up. 

What do you think?

@selenette @Sarang21 @naritul @ucylucy @staygold @maryofbethany

OMG! THE FAMOUS @bebebisous33 tagged me :wub:

Cakg7ed.gif

Moreover, this would also confirm my analysis about KS: his biggest flaw is his pride. As a general, he couldn't bear the thought of being banished and sending away from his sister, after he had done so much for the king.

Spoiler

WY : With anger and wish, I'm giving you the sword. Go as far as possible, and never come back if you can.

KS :By that, you mean... How dare you say that? Koryeo is your country.
I defended its borders because you ordered me to do so,and I destroyed the enemies because you ordered me to do so.
When my sister is in this country,and so are the citizens, how can...

WY :Now you're worrying about things, that a king should be worried about. Let it be known that Ryul Jang is dead. It will be known soon. It's a king's order.

I don't get this part when KS said " Goryeo is your country"

I thought i understand KS bc The King didnt tell him the real reason why he banished KS. But I guess i was wrong, when i read their convo, i realized that KS had known the real reason.  Are you saying it was his pride or "love" perhaps? Maybe he didn't think that the King would really kill his sister. 

Sorry i lost in this part.... :tears::tears:

When he visited her disguised, maybe she was promised to him as a concubine and no more but when he saw her and fell in love with her, he wanted her to be his Queen!

Why do you think she was promised as a concubine? 

Her brother was a general, she's probably from a noble-class family, and  when he visited her in disguised, he was still a prince, or perhaps they were childhood friends? That's why KS was so close to him, because they had known each other since he's young age.

Sorry this is out of topic :

vlcsnap_2016_12_30_16h46m19s422.png

Whose letter was she addressed?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @chibimidori may goblin gives you their kiss as a present on today episode

wishing you all the best!!! ameennn....

1gt0yq.gif

COUNTING DOWN : 1 HOUR 8 MINUTES 30 SECONDS

Edited by naritul
happy bday chibimidori
  • Like 15