[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ilwoo_aein said:

new preview stills

squeeeeeeeeeeee :wub::wub::wub: thank you so much for sharing chingu!! :wub: 

3 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

If the QD was at one point working with DM, she may have harboured hatred for the King. If she attacks the King  (CP) doesn't that mean she committed treason though?

she did chingu!! she helped Dea Mok taking over the palace the day the late King and our CP's mother got killed and our CP amost got killed which is treason!! 

:wub: 

cr: owner

9 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Well, if the chart is like that, there's also a possibility that the Queen will work together with DM, then attack CP after that :D . I hope the chart is wrong though, coz it's gonna be difficult to handle the Queen with the army..unless, if there's this unknown 3rd party, who supports the CP,  with equal power than her *but if there is, then how come DM could have such big power in the palace all this time? *

I think DM's power is only through the puppet king and the key officials who are in the PSH as well. Whom I believe all are living with monthly dose of poison, otherwise never initiated to the PSH? So let's say GE found a cure for the poison, the officials will gladly switch side because all this time their loyalty is only because of dependence on monthly antidote?

3 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

If the QD was at one point working with DM, she may have harboured hatred for the King. If she attacks the King  (CP) doesn't that mean she committed treason though?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. How is she going to dethrone the King LS unless she can prove that he isn't the CP and only  a puppet put there by DM. If she can prove that, she can announce all the royal family had died except her, then become a ruler herself. Then it won't be considered treason? DM would be the one committing treason? Because treason is only when against valid king, right? Can a queen (female) rule a kingdom by herself? Or does it have to be a male?

Oh how i wish i was an artist at times like this too haha.

@sakura2016 @ktcjdrama

If the Queen committed treason then she can be ripped of her title too. And exiled or killed. She is of royalty so she can pay heavily for her treason. DM is committing treason however the king was not strong enough to sentence him. Actually if anything, aren't all the royal ministers guilty too? They all play a role in Pyunsoo. 

I am sure a Queen can rule a kingdom too. But mostly a Queen will still need someone to take the kingdom after her. But usually there is always a King.

The new preview stills are just....sigh.... the way they look at each other....sigh.... them holding hands... sigh..

:relieved: 

5 minutes ago, rhaps said:

If LS is willing to exchange with CP, then CP can be someone behind the mask again. Then, he has to open his mask in front of everyone, so everyone will know his face. That is one way to show that CP is the King

BUt i though nobody knows how CP looks like? 

28 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think DM's power is only through the puppet king and the key officials who are in the PSH as well. Whom I believe all are living with monthly dose of poison, otherwise never initiated to the PSH? So let's say GE found a cure for the poison, the officials will gladly switch side because all this time their loyalty is only because of dependence on monthly antidote?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. How is she going to dethrone the King LS unless she can prove that he isn't the CP and only  a puppet put there by DM. If she can prove that, she can announce all the royal family had died except her, then become a ruler herself. Then it won't be considered treason? DM would be the one committing treason? Because treason is only when against valid king, right? Can a queen (female) rule a kingdom by herself? Or does it have to be a male?

DM hold the key person : the King, thats why he is powerful. we really hope GE can find the cure for the poison/poppy wine whatever it is

54 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@sakura2016 @ktcjdrama

If the Queen committed treason then she can be ripped of her title too. And exiled or killed. She is of royalty so she can pay heavily for her treason. DM is committing treason however the king was not strong enough to sentence him. Actually if anything, aren't all the royal ministers guilty too? They all play a role in Pyunsoo. 

I am sure a Queen can rule a kingdom too. But mostly a Queen will still need someone to take the kingdom after her. But usually there is always a King.

It won't be considered treason if she can prove that King LS isn't the rightful king, but just a puppet. And I actually think not all are corrupt. Only some key positions.

44 minutes ago, rhaps said:

If LS is willing to exchange with CP, then CP can be someone behind the mask again. Then, he has to open his mask in front of everyone, so everyone will know his face. That is one way to show that CP is the King

Yes, I've been waiting for that scene to happen too. Imagine how great that will be if it happens! I'm sure LS will gladly give his place to CP, unless he's been successfully "poisoned" by Queen with desires to have GE.

1 hour ago, rhaps said:

I thought that there's a possibility that she'll cooperate with CP too. What if (again, IF) her target was actually DM all this time, so her enmity with the late King was because he had sworn loyalty to DM?

Very good point. She is frustrated that King (past and present) is holding DM's hand instead of hers.

Wow Monarchs, I love all the speculations going. This makes watching the drama so much more fun!

27 minutes ago, rhaps said:

That's the point. Bcoz nobody knows how CP looks like, so anyone who wears the mask(with the same body build) and opens it will be recognized as the King. It will be troublesome if the one who does it if LS instead (it'll be interesting if this is happen)

Then again, I also doubt this method will work, since I just remember that CP has been known as Chief of Peddler. Everyone knowns how he looks like, so how come he is dressed as the King? *sigh sorry*. If only we have Commander Lee still alive, then he can be a witness . I dont think LS's testimony be accepted as one, since he will be punished for pretending to be King

Well..perhaps CP's mom hide an evidence of CP's identity in that crock (that GE has been looking for) , perhaps a medal as a sign that he is the CP.

A family portrait of late King, Consort Lee and CP? Medal has been given to/held by King LS, right?

This is so interesting. From the newly released stills of CP & GE, it said that the scene was filmed on May 18th. Wow, i already know about the order of filming but sometimes it's so shocking ahah. 

so far - saving GE & getting hurt was filmed on March 18th. The confession on being Chun Soo was filmed on April 7th. And now that newly stills with them holding hands was filmed on May 18th - literally days after the press conference. WOW. 

In the article for the preview stills released recently, it also stated - "Whether their fated romance can be achieved happily, please watch all the way"

45 minutes ago, rhaps said:

That's the point. Bcoz nobody knows how CP looks like, so anyone who wears the mask(with the same body build) and opens it will be recognized as the King. It will be troublesome if the one who does it if LS instead (it'll be interesting if this is happen)

Then again, I also doubt this method will work, since I just remember that CP has been known as Chief of Peddler. Everyone knowns how he looks like, so how come he is dressed as the King? *sigh sorry*. If only we have Commander Lee still alive, then he can be a witness . I dont think LS's testimony be accepted as one, since he will be punished for pretending to be King

Well..perhaps CP's mom hid an evidence of CP's identity in that crock (that GE has been looking for) , perhaps a medal as a sign that he was the CP.

maybe CW/handsome bodyguard can testify?or CP's mark at his shoulder/back?but the mark also known by only a few ppl.sigh...wait..the royal physician is still alive right?

56 minutes ago, rhaps said:

EDITED :

Sorry just realized that I wrongly typed DM as CP and vice cersa. Here is the correction:

Well, if the chart is like that, there's also a possibility that the Queen will work together with CP, then attack DM after that :D . I hope the chart is wrong though, coz it's gonna be difficult to handle the Queen with the army..unless, if there's this unknown 3rd party, who supports the CP,  with equal power than her *but if there is, then how come DM could have such big power in the palace all this time? *

hhhh it's ok that happens!! :lol: 

Dea Mok has many officials on his side thar he managed to put inside the Palace through the late puppet King and kept on doing during the new puppet King's ruling but now our King is going to bring people who are loyal to the "King" and will go against Dea Mok through Woo Bo who is now the Minister of Personal and who'll be in charge of that mission!! :wink: and we have an isider ally inside the palace that we didn't see yet but he must've been waiting to find our King and the right time to start their moves against Dea Mok!! :D 

48 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I don't think if the officials are poisoned then the poison is the only reason keeping them on Dea Mok's side!! they joined him because they were greedy and he offered them what they wanted: wealth and high position in the palace and power by his side!! 

yeah that can be or she can prove he's uncapable (crazy? sick?) King and that makes her his assistant again?!! and this way no one will accuse her of treason!!

52 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Btw, I edited my prev comments. I thought that there's a possibility that she'll cooperate with CP too. What if (again, IF) her target was actually DM all this time, so her enmity with the late King was because he had sworn loyalty to DM?

Anyway, yeah ..regarding CP(Chief of Peddlers) beside palanquin, the scene reminds me of Joseon Gunman too . At that time, the female lead chose to become a court lady, so the palace sent a palanquin to pick her up ..then the male lead chased after her.

and she helped Dea Mok to kill the King and take over the Palace because the late King was Dea Mok's puppet?!! not making sens!! 

yeah!! I hated it then and hate it here!! :*sigh*

48 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@sakura2016 @ktcjdrama

yeah she can and hope she will !! please!! I really hate her!! and all those on Pyunsoohwe side will be convicted as traitors or can be saved if they join our King and go against Dea Mok to save their lives!! 

36 minutes ago, googleme said:

The new preview stills are just....sigh.... the way they look at each other....sigh.... them holding hands... sigh..

:relieved: 

BUt i though nobody knows how CP looks like? 

:wub::wub::wub: 

yes, no one does but they know the one behind the mask is the King so the second they see the King's face behind the mask they'll take that person as their King!! 

27 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Well..perhaps CP's mom hide an evidence of CP's identity in that crock (that GE has been looking for) , perhaps a medal as a sign that he is the CP.

Lee Seon won't be punished if he's found out to play thefae King part since our King can announce that he was on his side helping him against Dea Mok though I hope no one will find out that our King was switched other than few people who can be shutted or on our King's side so they won't be of any ham but more of help!! :) 

can be!!

Well, call me doubtful that the queen will cooperate with CP, since she had aims to control him through his future wife to begin with, and tried to kill him at the beginning of his life. If she does join forces, it'd be temporary. I just don't see her changing for the good unless something significant happens to fundamentally change her character. She might've had good intentions/motivation long ago, even if she was born and raised as an affluent. I think the day she found out the king made a deal with DM was the day she lost respect/faith in him, and have since turned inwardly to rely on herself, and even fend for herself with the faction that she controls within the palace. She might've done it just for survival at first, but over time, it's warped her sense of morality. Like Woo Bo implied early on, it's what happened to DM, going down this path for so long can lead to the abuse and greed for said power. Judging by her history and her indifference towards the king, the only person she's looking out for is herself and her blood relatives. If she does end up on the side of good, I think it'd be a nice twist, but sort of a predictable drama trope.

As for how she'll obtain the throne, she probably won't dethrone the fake CP, having a puppet king in her pocket will probably be the easiest way for her to hold power. That's why she happily ruled by Lee Soon's side until he's of age, since she doesn't have enough people on her side to stage a complete military and political usurp and mutiny. Ga Eun is her stone. She fulfills fake CP's desire for her as a wife, completing the pact that the queen made with him, and she'll also act as the queen's eyes and ears in the palace, controlling the fake CP. Two birds with one stone.

And I think historically, there was a queen who once ruled single-handedly in ancient China, so this aspect of the story isn't improbable. In hindsight, I'm really impressed that we, the viewers, can infer such a long backstory for her when she barely had any screen time. This really demonstrates how well the premise was thought out beforehand. And honestly, really happy that the women in this drama are strong, resourceful, and just as cunning as the men.

14 minutes ago, rhaps said:

@ktcjdrama, in other dramas that I watched, usually King or Princes have somekind of jade that proof their identity. If CP has something like that, then it can be used as an evidence. Dunno, we'll see what's hidden inside that crock

Yes, he has one. It was given to LS as a promise that CP will seek revenge on his behalf for his father's death. CW was uncomfortable and protested a bit when CP did that.

47 minutes ago, fourleafclover said:

Well, call me doubtful that the queen will cooperate with CP, since she had aims to control him through his future wife to begin with, and tried to kill him at the beginning of his life. If she does join forces, it'd be temporary. I just don't see her changing for the good unless something significant happens to fundamentally change her character. She might've had good intentions/motivation long ago, even if she was born and raised as an affluent. I think the day she found out the king made a deal with DM was the day she lost respect/faith in him, and have since turned inwardly to rely on herself, and even fend for herself with the faction that she controls within the palace. She might've done it just for survival at first, but over time, it's warped her sense of morality. Like Woo Bo implied early on, it's what happened to DM, going down this path for so long can lead to the abuse and greed for said power. Judging by her history and her indifference towards the king, the only person she's looking out for is herself and her blood relatives. If she does end up on the side of good, I think it'd be a nice twist, but sort of a predictable drama trope.

As for how she'll obtain the throne, she probably won't dethrone the fake CP, having a puppet king in her pocket will probably be the easiest way for her to hold power. That's why she happily ruled by Lee Soon's side until he's of age, since she doesn't have enough people on her side to stage a complete military and political usurp and mutiny. Ga Eun is her stone. She fulfills fake CP's desire for her as a wife, completing the pact that the queen made with him, and she'll also act as the queen's eyes and ears in the palace, controlling the fake CP. Two birds with one stone.

And I think historically, there was a queen who once ruled single-handedly in ancient China, so this aspect of the story isn't improbable. In hindsight, I'm really impressed that we, the viewers, can infer such a long backstory for her when she barely had any screen time. This really demonstrates how well the premise was thought out beforehand. And honestly, really happy that the women in this drama are strong, resourceful, and just as cunning as the men.

Very well put.

As for LS, I still hold out hope he will not go the dark path. Even if he did, he will redeem himself and turn back. It's just too much for me to take if he were to turn to the dark side too against CP, as well as it will be such a sad event for his mother and cute little sister. No, we just can't have LS go to the dark side. Please, writer-nim. Save him. I want to see young people putting their smart heads together to overthrow evil old villain, be it DM, or possibly the Queen.

12 minutes ago, rhaps said:

He did? What episode was that, I forgot

In that case, well, I have no more ideas on what's inside the crock. It's good if there's other item that can proof his identity. I just thought that it should be something that is owned only by the King/CP's mom/CP . Or, perhaps a list of officials who is under DM?(will it fit to be hidden inside a pot??), A list of officials who is loyal to the Kingdom?? Oorr a treasure map ?? *LOL*

Ok, gotta go for now. :tongue:

End of ep.4.

Of course a list of crooked/faithful officials will fit inside the crock/pot. Unless it is a super duper long and thick list, LOL.

How I wish GE will just blurt out to CP that "Hey ChunSoo, btw, the dying Consort told me to pass you a crock hidden in the greenhouse. She said it's important. Do you have any idea what's that about? And how did she know about you? What is your relationship with her?" -----> "You've met her?" -----> "Yes, I did. She died in my arms." -----> "...*wide-eyed, open-mouthed*..."

2 hours ago, joyspartace_stv said:

This is so interesting. From the newly released stills of CP & GE, it said that the scene was filmed on May 18th. Wow, i already know about the order of filming but sometimes it's so shocking ahah. 

so far - saving GE & getting hurt was filmed on March 18th. The confession on being Chun Soo was filmed on April 7th. And now that newly stills with them holding hands was filmed on May 18th - literally days after the press conference. WOW. 

In the article for the preview stills released recently, it also stated - "Whether their fated romance can be achieved happily, please watch all the way"

I just had a good laugh when I went back to check the articles because I wanted to see some information of the drama if I missed anything. Come to a realization that the scene where CP first gave GE the moon/sun necklace, that scene was filmed on April 10th. Three days after the scene of his confession with being Chun Soo. I don't know how the actors can convey such beautiful emotionals when they film scenes so backwards, it would confuse the crazy out of me LOL

On 6/4/2017 at 3:57 PM, vangsweetie637 said:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no; it is an ever-fixed mark, 
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks 
Within his bending sickle's compass come; 
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, 
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
   If this be error and upon me proved,
   I never writ, nor no man ever loved

Hide contents

This poem is CP to GE :wub: it is pretty direct but if any confusion on what a line means, feel free to ask me :)

@vangsweetie637 wow... just too good a poem to let that pass by without noting, oosp you chose a profound sonnet. ( i brought your poem out from spoiler to be easier for the rest who miss it. ) need to be frank. i am truly no "Bard's specialist" so may misread the essence of that poem. so right to say this poem tells of unwavering loves, esp thru circumstances, stand and unmovable.

Love indeed is not love which alters when a change in circumstances, when find yourself some secret unearths, your plights alters your character from the past, or find yourself offered a better future, temptation of a better people coming into your life. (in this case, some will say a single-minded fake sun will provide her the evening-star that give security and peace to her wandering tired soul.) nay, what’s beautiful about saeguk’s traditional love is the faithfulness that she/he will not changes when finds a change in circumstances, or bends when even at the first sign that your loves has his heart changed & is unfaithful to you. The old days love story’s heroine will set herself ever as a lighthouse, looks on tempest not shaken, not be moved by days weeks years, endures until the end of days, edge of doom. Even if a tempting second leads comes knocking, she/he should be not wavering, not succumb to temptation and doubts of betrayal.
just like GE, it does not alter when alterations finds, bends with the remover to remove. when truth unfolds, and trust betrayed n shaken, the one you seems to know is not who he is, you started to waver not to doubt if is your love is built on sand and not solid ground, or that all along you loved someone which is not who he is... even when tempests threatened, you will not be shaken and doubt even your own loves is just a puppy crush and you only having just crush, or that he does not loved the real you, but simply infatuation towards you merely..

even some popular sites' fans were saying they wants her to go berserk, goes cunning, go badass.... ok, we are so used to that KSH in the other dramas, but how about seeing her goes reserved, weighing the greater good before her personal vengeance served. 
i rather that she chose to forgive the sun if she has not realised he is fake sun, and chose to forgive the real Sun on her own, and not thinking "damned, i shall forgive him for killing my dad because i loved him" that kind of plot... but "i forgive him because i can see he has the virtues and power to undermine and fight against Pyunsoo, for the sake of the kingdom, i will forgive him."
then when later she discovered Sun is the real sun, she will not be wavered into thinking "he did contributed into my father's death, and that he was cheating and foolin me with fake identity, and that "LYING TO ME ITSELF" is a great sin"... blah blah blah...
i want it that she will forgive Real Sun for the 'cheating' and "lying' also not because she loved him, but to see the value in his characters, the route he thus far taken, to finally knows every tears he shed every burdens he carried, to love him for all that he bear silently for the country, even loved him for the guilt that make him humbled. and forgive him for the 'Sun" characters, instead of forgive sun merely 'because i loved him". i am waiting for the writing that goes beyond seeking vengeance and forsaking it because of blind crush.

i want to see in KSH's GE not go wielding the dagger... but her having greater character in forgiving. first, forgiving the 'king' for the beheading. and then, forgiving 'Pyeha' for lying to her. i definitely don't want that kind of plot: 'oh, the man i loved is chunsoo, you are not chunsoo, so my love is not real as you are not real...." kinda of rubbish plot.
real love will not alter when you find the identity of the person you loved is not who he is.

why i said that... becoz among the usual rantings against GE's 'supposed' plot of vengeance not emphasized .. one recent rants is 'bout doubting even GE's love as being a mere crush and nothing more. As in usual "love at first sight trope", asking is it a real grounded and strongly rooted love based upon the knowledge of the "who" that lad is. Like some so said, does she know "who" the person that is behind 'chunsoo', does those few interactions sufficient to know a person. well, in saeguks world, you can't expect that much interaction without drawing rumours of a noble girl not chaste enough by running behind a guy all the times. i went back to view those eps, i guess their interaction at the BBQ chicken plus along the road going and back from Master WB, fighting for water to save fake's mom delivery, though brief and sparingly few... its depends on how open and frank each are to the other, and the ability to understand what he/she said.... of knowing the dreams/ the attitudes / the burdens / the characters of this person.
then i further beg for the definition of the "knowing" of a person, and how much knowledge must one have of the other then considered you have known genuine deep enough to warrant your love as not a puppy crush.
Is the accusation that GE does NOT know 'Chunsoo' enough to justify that is real love, by itself justify?

say what does she knows of him?:
his attitudes and POV of things, his justice sense (about why should water be sold, and why water bureu is monopolized the water-sales , his dreams, his characters, his loves for reading and learning, his easy going, humble, forgiving (easily make friend with peasant sun in the mid of fighting), boldness, (in question Chief magistrate about not standing out), empathy... isnt this enough to count as knowing the 'real person' inside the name "chunsoo".
i guess she can steer herself back, her Love will not alters when it alteration finds, Or bends or doubts, with the remover to remove. whether is it Chunsoo or Seja/Pyeha Sun, the 'man' inside him doesn't alter, neither bends, isn't fake.

read something that question about how much does she knows Sun, which indirectly question the quality of that love... so set me thinking thru your poem, what then is enough to 'know' a person to consider as true love towards a person? keep thinking about the fans' accusation that GE's love is not deep enough, so just pen this as a sincere discussion.

(sorry, keep churning out off-track nonsense.)

AND TO ANSWER EVERYBODY's WORRY on the white hanbok picture w/ the red candle near her! if you went back to the stills released from the old episodes, that's particular picture with her bangs and white hanbok was a scene when she met up with CP's mom to discuss about her father's death! (:

12 minutes ago, joyspartace_stv said:

I just had a good laugh when I went back to check the articles because I wanted to see some information of the drama if I missed anything. Come to a realization that the scene where CP first gave GE the moon/sun necklace, that scene was filmed on April 10th. Three days after the scene of his confession with being Chun Soo. I don't know how the actors can convey such beautiful emotionals when they film scenes so backwards, it would confuse the crazy out of me LOL

And all this time, i thought they filmed in order too. Lol. If it was me too, i would be so confused. But as they are the actors/actresses, they can still do a great job even if they filmed so many scenes out of order :)

@ktcjdrama i think there is more followers than loyalties. Because DM has so many spies inside that I always feel everyone is on his side :D like the minister who is always talking to QD. Isn't he on DM side too? 

I have no idea what is inside the pot. But if it is something that can help GE find the truth about her dad, and who is responsible, it may be along the lines of a letter, perhaps written by CP himself? But then, why would the Queen plant it there? Lol. 

8 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

And all this time, i thought they filmed in order too. Lol. If it was me too, i would be so confused. But as they are the actors/actresses, they can still do a great job even if they filmed so many scenes out of order :)

@ktcjdrama i think there is more followers than loyalties. Because DM has so many spies inside that I always feel everyone is on his side :D like the minister who is always talking to QD. Isn't he on DM side too

I have no idea what is inside the pot. But if it is something that can help GE find the truth about her dad, and who is responsible, it may be along the lines of a letter, perhaps written by CP himself? But then, why would the Queen plant it there? Lol. 

he is more like double agent lol

Archived