[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

Hello. 

I have been watching ruler from the beginning. This is my 3rd saguek and the 1st one I am watching while airing so I don't have much ideas about it which is why I decided to lurk.

Also I didn't want to complain much and it is difficult to talk without ranting about how this has so much more potential than what it is right now. I will be watching until the end but at the same time I hope the writers won't take the most cliche scenario and the predictable route for everything. If they were going to give it to rookie writers, they should have given it to someone who won a contest or something. I know everyone has to begin somewhere so I don't mind giving to rookie writers. There are some new writers who have written really good dramas but right now I am very disappointed in the writing. I hope this all is going to come together at the end. Like how KSH said, its like reading a story book where everything makes sense at the end.

I have known how talented KSH is for awhile. I have definitely become a fan of Yoo Seungho through ruler. I have never watched any work of him before. I have heard of him from dramabeans bloggers. They have been hyping him up since before I started watching kdramas. I am definitely rooting for GE and CP. I hope there are more scenes before the sadness takes over. I don't know why, I really believe there is a happy ending at the end of this drama. 

The king and queen were enemies according to the character description. My theory is she wants to take the powers and give them to people of her family. The CP is not related to her. No idea what is hidden in the greenhouse. I keep thinking it is some kind of seal but I think that is coming from reading Prince and the Pauper.

About the poisons, it doesn't make sense at all. It is in pill form. As far as I know snake venom when ingested won't cause much damage as it consists of different types of protien which are broken down in the stomach. Snake venom needs to enter blood stream for it to cause symptoms. The idea of the drug and the antidote in the same pill is a fascinating idea. I am assuming the drug as well as antidote combination in one pill is fictional. Because the king is not having signs and symptoms that indicates it is chronic opium use. Also I have never heard of any oral drug that relieves the symptoms that quickly. Btw, I am not an expert in poisons or pharmacology so it really could be out there.

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/06/2017 at 3:36 PM, vangsweetie637 said:

@maryofbethany Aw, thanks for posting it up again. It is indeed my favorite poem of all Shakespeare sonnets (mind, he had a lot). You summed it up very well, and I too will add to your discussion. This poem speaks not of infatuation, puppy crush, or a simple relationship which ends in short time. It speaks of a love, so grand, so strong, which have withstood the coldness like a flower, in order to blossom into a beautiful part of nature. I put my reply to you in spoiler because it is long :D 

Hide contents

For we know it is incomplete without him/her. CP and GE are like this. The quality of their love cannot be measured just by looking at what is on the screen. One must think about it deeply. Can love really be measured in tons and weight?  Anyone can love, and fall in love. Even in CP/GE’s case, they can love each other, fell for each other. And as they continue to love, they will continue to grow. The question asked: Is the accusation that GE does NOT know 'Chunsoo' enough to justify that is real love justified? The answer is yes. ‘Chun Soo’ is the same person as the ‘CP.’ She loves none other than the same person. When she comes to the truthful realizations, ‘Chun Soo will still be the CP, and CP will still be Chun Soo.’ She already knows Chun Soo as the Chief Peddler, who is helpful to everyone. Yet, she only asks him if he is Chun Soo, the one in her mind and heart.  She remembers Chun Soo as the person she met 5 years ago, and built a foundation with little to begin but grew within time through yearning and missing. This enough, in her eyes, justifies her love. Sometimes, we as the viewers can be too hard on the characters. We want them to love like we do. We want them to fall in love like we do. We want them to relate something that we will understand. But yet the characters are falling in love in their own ways (whether it is reciprocal or platonic). What is enough to be considered true love? We must not ask ourselves that question, but ask it to characters of which we are watching. Is what they are doing for each other true love for each other? Then, we will begin to know that true love is in the eyes of the beholder, and the ones who feels and knows of it. There is a quote which I love: “to the world, you are one person. But to one person, you are the world.” This is how I see CP & GE, and their love. In the Shakespeare realm, true love is all that were described, and even beyond.

@vangsweetie637 hmmmm. just to let u know why my reply delays... this lousy being (that's me) normally take a step back and delay in reacting when i face something i respect or do not understand or beautiful...., all the more when your topic touches on something closed to heart and always loved to dwelt on... love, that is.

i guess one of the nice thing in a drama forum is discovering friends that strike the same cord. for this drama, i am glad to have meet you, you are definitely one of the blessing i count dear, and treasured your input.

highlighted the portion that you so crucially hit the bulleye and saw the problem... you said "we want them to love like we do."
back then in my mom era, no one question when you mentioned repeatedly the trope of 'Love at first sight', and OTP can just die for that love, none bothered to question whether is this true love!... We easily accept many classic examples of Love at First Sight: from the Bard's signature Love at First Sight of Romeo and his Juliet, even at Les Miserables' Cosettes and Marius, or even the Col.Brandon and Marian Sense and Sensibility. 
aha, even in the Bible we do have the patriarchs living out well these Love at first sight.

Spoiler

Genesis1: back to the beginning, i guess Adam and Eve also fall in love.
(Genesis24:67: " And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her ." its a biblical event of Isaac met Rebekah at the field just before this, Rebekah was the betrothed to him, and that first sight, both fall in love. That night they consume their marriage.. love back then is just that simple and not questioned.
even as in Jacob and Rachel case.

even if it started as Love at first sight, it takes effort and times and even understanding to work out a relationship...  like you said so well, we modern day scholars and perfectionists are too harsh on these characters.... if such dream be taken away, who will believe, dream, weathered love after all. 
am an old traditional person, likely shaped by my upbringing, growing up believing the Biblical tales of falling in love and the Lord God Almighty being the one that predestinated who your love should belongs, so i have no problem accepting Love at first sight.. esp nowadays, when our love are easily 'corrupted' by temptations, and changes of hearts... sceptics will start doubting and chiding such pure love...

but i believe such love exists but cannot stop there at that miraculous God-Made touch of love,.. in order to to get along together harmoniously, it takes effort to understand each other, take effort to trust, take efforts to forgive, even when the other heart changes but wait for him to return to you,....
all in all, its pointless to judge what God has instituted in the beginning, when our patriarchs loves, they also loves when God make them fall in love at first sight at times....
so, i believed in Pyeha and GE can fall in love at first sight, and grow in love.

for this term today i hav just given a mega project, which means i can only chat in the night for this month... grinding teeths, so many in my thoughts, but no time to translate into words..... hmmm. sad. c u tonite.

@fibulas

Hello chingu. And welcome to the Monarch party B):D

Spoiler

There are those who share the sentiments like you. They, too, feel that this drama can be much more in potential. The thing with rookie writers is that they may not have enough experience to carry out this sort of drama which envelops many aspects: political, melodramatic, historical, and romance. However, as I stated way earlier in my posts, rookie writers have the ability and capability to build a foundation for themselves. The trick is in how they deliver their story to the screen, and how they will tie everything up together as to avoid loose ends. I am not familiar with the writers for this story and I do not recognize them from any other dramas I have watched. I, too, see plot holes and things that can be improved in this drama such as scenes that can be made to be clearer or included. But I tend to look beyond, and come up with my own understandings of what is given to me. I also hope that everything will tie together at the end, and I will have to believe the writers will do that for us. For now, let us continue to enjoy the show :)

Since you brought up a very interesting point about the venom, I did some research on it. You are right. Venom does have to be injected through the skin into the nerves in order for the poison to work. And usually, venom does not kill a victim right away but paralyzes first. However, I think that the poppy may add to this. Poppy is poisonous, as one of our Monarchs here posted above. And poppies are the source of opium and is an addicting drug (worse than cigarettes, probably). I think if we were to combine these two together, venom and opium, it would be a very high dosage of poison plus effects of the venom. Venom will first paralyze the body first and then stop the heart eventually (which may explain the severe chest pain we see from the King and fake King). If venom were to be mix with opium and then swallowed, the contents of both items would then be absorbed into the bloodstream easier. It will be like mixing honey into tea. Eventually, the tea will become sweetened by being absorbed in the honey. Opium also works like a pain reliever. I remember my parents use to tell me stories of how their ancestors would use opium to relieve great pain, and it would help temporarily. If they want to keep feeling relieved, they have to keep taking it. Hence, I would like to think that the poison DM used on the previous King and fake LS works the same way. This pill is really a 2 in 1 combination, and like you said, a fascinating idea.

@maryofbethany  Chingu, delay or not, it is always a pleasure reading your posts and thoughts. I, too, only have the night time to come on my computer and reply the way I want to. During the day, I am using my phone to reply which is hard to do when it lags or freezes. Awww, you and I are quite the same in some way. I love to discuss about love. For me, it is a topic so in depth, at which can only be understood if read between, over, and under the lines. Like you say, in times of a forum like this, it is great to meet a friend like you, who shares such beautiful/wonderful thoughts, who immediately makes me remember Shakespeare whenever I come across your analysis(s). I, too, count you as a blessing and treasure your input.This forum and this drama alongside everyone here are my social network home :) And I am sure that since now we have discovered we are actually both a fan of YSH, we will be meeting in other dramas of his, and even others which we will find a liking to :wink:

Spoiler

Yes. To me, there is truth in the words I wrote: ‘we want them to love like we do.’ Sometimes, as a viewer, we may forget the fact that the characters being portrayed within the screen are their own person, as we are not them nor they, us. We become harsh to them, and their character then becomes a high expectation.  We forget that we are in their world, for they are not in ours. My film teacher once told the class that “as important as it is to be able to relate to any character, it is crucial to remember that the story involves the characters, and in order to understand what each character is thinking, or doing, one must rip themselves of their reality aspects and indulge into the fictional world-only then will the fiction become real’. Because of his words, I changed the ways I watched movies and dramas. Of course, everyone will watch this drama with their own mindset, and I remain humble to their thoughts of it. For me, the love between CP/GE despite all the political roles in it, will grow to be one I admire and watch grow. In very few dramas have I seen a love between the OTPs that do this for me-the kind which will always leave me in reminiscence. True love is seen through hardships which will not change when hardships come. It must be communicative, loyal, trustworthy, affectionate, understanding,  and strength all combined. This is what I am looking forward to, in the love between CP and GE. I can bear the angst, the tears, the tension, as long as they come together again, and as one. HG fell in love with CP at first sight. CP/GE fell in love at first sight. Even in dramaland, love at first sight is possible.

Hello guys..many of u might not recognise me since i was here only during December since i go to boarding school which has no internet.So first of all i would like to say thank u for those who supported this forum and blocked all the negative comments about it and KSH...Thanks for all the good vibes u guys try to give off to this forum..I hope it lives on till the day the drama is a success.FIGHTING!!!I hope to be a part of this family even if its temporarily

welcome pretty Monarch! welcome back cute Monarch! :heart:

i was wondering why CP was in full clothe when he was being treated. less layer is easier right to treat him :tongue: dont get me wrong lol

DM's family was killed or mistreated during CP's granddad regime? and why his son is such incompetent despite of having a powerful dad? HG is just like her grandpa. 

tomorrow is Wed weeeee B)

33 minutes ago, nurlayla said:

welcome pretty Monarch! welcome back cute Monarch! :heart:

i was wondering why CP was in full clothe when he was being treated. less layer is easier right to treat him :tongue: dont get me wrong lol

DM's family was killed or mistreated during CP's granddad regime? and why his son is such incompetent despite of having a powerful dad? HG is just like her grandpa. 

tomorrow is Wed weeeee B)

@nurlayla ommo...............not gonna lie.

You are definitely not wrong ..... isnt that what we are thinking.... dudring at that breath-taking few mins.... aint we hoping and imagine and delulu about the scene that should be allowed to develop into... woahahah...... *guilty-evil-laughters*

WB should be doing the acupuncture stuff at the earlier scene when he was "served with comma drug".. U know GE can "help" with the acupuncture ... Am I right or wrong?!!!

10 minutes ago, maryofbethany said:

@nurlayla ommo...............not gonna lie.

let's be honest..... isnt that what we are thinking.... during at that breath-taking few mins.... aint we hoping and imagine and delulu about the scene that should be allowed to develop into... woahahah...... *guilty-evil-laughters*

:lol: no no no *imagining SHR scene lol

mian chingus *or someone will scold me

but thats the logic is it? :blink:

@Atelophobia she's either HG,GE or gisaeng lady...

I can't put my expectation high so, I think she is gisaeng Lady... The features and body figures are different from HG that has more long face, while the girl in the picture tend to have oval face, chubbier cheek. 

On 2/6/2017 at 9:36 PM, Bambiina said:

Anyway chemistry is rather subjective - everyone was going crazy over YSH and PMY chem - I find it bland

Me too, I didn't find any chemistry between YSH and PMY, I can feel none chemistry indeed when I watched 'remember, the son's war' !  However, I can really feel the chemistry between YSH and KSH in Ruler and I love their chemistry !!!  If someone feel less chemistry between them is mainly because the editing is really bad and just focus on describing and developing the scenes on  how HG go crazy for CP and then cut the parts in developing the scenes of YSH and KSH only !  I will say it's mainly because of the bad editing in this drama, not the actors themselves to be blamed.

52 minutes ago, Atelophobia said:

I wonder who it is..I cant wait for this weeks episode anymore:bawling:

Hi chingu! Welcome to the thread :) i tried to zoom into the picture and I think it may be GE. But i can be wrong because the pic was too blurry when i zoomed in haha. 

@maryofbethany lol yes! I already ship those two! Master and bodyguard. Omo. Look at that still of GE and CP :wub: writer nim, more skinships please! :D

And good morning everyone!

On 3/6/2017 at 11:40 AM, joyspartace_stv said:

I've seen the craziest comments ever saying she is like copying KYJ. IM LIKE WHERE? Both actresses are so different. KSH is more of the emotional, melodrama type while the other is more of the romantic feel. 

Putting the blame of hate for this drama on the "copy" or KSH is crazy. If they put their hatred for this drama because of the lack of writing currently, I totally get it. But their reasoning is just crazy. 

I know those who said that ruler is coping the other drama are just because they are whose fans (I won't mention here)  and I am not surprised that they will say that because I know their reasons behind (they have been doing these kinds of things for a no. of times already ) !   I will just feel sorry for them for their childish act for criticizing this drama intentionally to bring the drama down to make their own love one on upper hand , now I will just ignore their comments. 

For me, I will just enjoy this drama and hopefully I wish the editing will be done better and fairly to every actor after MBC know the knetz comments in last week!!

Archived