[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

11 hours ago, fourleafclover said:

Well, call me doubtful that the queen will cooperate with CP, since she had aims to control him through his future wife to begin with, and tried to kill him at the beginning of his life. If she does join forces, it'd be temporary. I just don't see her changing for the good unless something significant happens to fundamentally change her character. She might've had good intentions/motivation long ago, even if she was born and raised as an affluent. I think the day she found out the king made a deal with DM was the day she lost respect/faith in him, and have since turned inwardly to rely on herself, and even fend for herself with the faction that she controls within the palace. She might've done it just for survival at first, but over time, it's warped her sense of morality. Like Woo Bo implied early on, it's what happened to DM, going down this path for so long can lead to the abuse and greed for said power. Judging by her history and her indifference towards the king, the only person she's looking out for is herself and her blood relatives. If she does end up on the side of good, I think it'd be a nice twist, but sort of a predictable drama trope.

As for how she'll obtain the throne, she probably won't dethrone the fake CP, having a puppet king in her pocket will probably be the easiest way for her to hold power. That's why she happily ruled by Lee Soon's side until he's of age, since she doesn't have enough people on her side to stage a complete military and political usurp and mutiny. Ga Eun is her stone. She fulfills fake CP's desire for her as a wife, completing the pact that the queen made with him, and she'll also act as the queen's eyes and ears in the palace, controlling the fake CP. Two birds with one stone.

And I think historically, there was a queen who once ruled single-handedly in ancient China, so this aspect of the story isn't improbable. In hindsight, I'm really impressed that we, the viewers, can infer such a long backstory for her when she barely had any screen time. This really demonstrates how well the premise was thought out beforehand. And honestly, really happy that the women in this drama are strong, resourceful, and just as cunning as the men.

I never trusted the Queen though her stepping asthe fake King's assistantwas helpful for him and went against Dea Mok's plan so I was thankful for that but don't believe she lost respect for the King when she found out about his deal with Dea Mok or her joining hands with the same person she disrespected the late King for joining his hands with would be silly!! she'll help our CP/king for now for sure since they have the same goal: distroying Dea Mok but she hasher own agenda and our King is aware she's not to be fully trusted thankfully!! 

I think she really wants to dethrone the fake King not only use him as her puppet and will try to get rid of our King when she finds out that he's alive and planning on taking his rightful place!!

I know of Queens/Empresses who ruled but they were more of Queen Regents assisting their too young Crown Princes who can't rule yet: Empress Ki and Queen Regent Jiso mother of Silla's King Sammaekjong, they're no inncent Emress/Queen though!!

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remember in the preview HG confess to granddad that she loves CP...i think granddad will immediately catch CP or something like that. he must damn curious with who is this CP that his beloved granddaughter love after the 1st confession 5yrs ago (dont think during that 5yrs HG in any relationship) maybe HG follow CP to protect or tell him to be extra careful..u know, something like that

10 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

End of ep.4.

Of course a list of crooked/faithful officials will fit inside the crock/pot. Unless it is a super duper long and thick list, LOL.

How I wish GE will just blurt out to CP that "Hey ChunSoo, btw, the dying Consort told me to pass you a crock hidden in the greenhouse. She said it's important. Do you have any idea what's that about? And how did she know about you? What is your relationship with her?" -----> "You've met her?" -----> "Yes, I did. She died in my arms." -----> "...*wide-eyed, open-mouthed*..."

I'd love that but that won't happen *sigh*

I think she can guess that the CP's mother knew him since he was the CP's friend as he said when he was fighting with the Water Bureau of Supply's guardsto let them have some water to save Lee Seon's mother!!

7 hours ago, faye406 said:

@jakey09 

with the caption #Monarch #HanGaEun #CrownPrinceLeeSun Please give lots of love to this week broadcast. 

Sorry Monarchs, I'm tried scrolling back on my IG, but i cant find the video back, sorry guys.. 

it's ok chingu!! thank you for sharing the info and for trying the video!! :wub: 

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Chingus, I was thinking. If QD really is on CP's side, but is playing tricks to crush DM, she would still be considered a traitor because she did contribute to killing the King and CP's mom, right? So, maybe she really is not helping anyone, but herself. She has a lot of power, and is one of the few who can stand against DM. Why can't just destroy DM on her own? Or did I miss something, haha.

she's not on our King's side but using his help to crush their commun ennemie Dea Mok since Dea Mok is still powerful and has many people in his side inside the palace beside having a puppet King in his hands so going against him all on her own won't work and our King can help her greately against him but she will go against our King the second she realises who he really is!! and yes she's still conciderate a traitor for helping Dea Mok in killing the late King and our CP's mother which I hope they can reveal and punishes her for!!

5 hours ago, dottedheart said:

Someone posted here to kill off the characters of the villains,really?That is the craziest idea I have ever heard.For sure some of them will die but not this early.Kill off villains for your otp?Funny!The villains characters are more fun & captivating to watch because of their good acting than your biased maybe even the reason of the ratings not increasing because viewers think the character is useless.

fore sure they won't die now, what is a story with no villains!! but I'll be waiting for their falling/death for sure!! :D

awww so sweet!! :wub: 

cr: neyza_light

4 minutes ago, nurlayla said:

remember in the preview HG confess to granddad that she loves CP...i think granddad will immediately catch CP or something like that. he must damn curious with who is this CP that her beloved granddaughter love after the 1st confession 5yrs ago (dont think during that 5yrs HG in any relationship) maybe HG follow CP to protect or tell him to be extra careful..u know, something like that

yeah, his granddaughter cut ties with him for "killing" the Crown Prince but now she's back and met him after 5 years to tell him not to touch the Chief Peddler because she loves him?!! he deffinitely would want to know who is this Chief Peddler who managed to make her try to protect him like she did with the Crown Prince 5 years ago!! 

on the preview she looked more happy that worried when she was heading to talk to him only to see him with Ga Eun turning her to crazy jealoucy mode!! 

7 minutes ago, herina_90 said:

More YSH and Baskin Robbins! Wonder what they are filming now since his hair is up and ChungWoon looks to be wearing royal guard uniform?

right!! could it be our King imposed as a royal guard too for a mission and/or meet Ga Eun inside the Palace?!! hhhhhhh I'm getting excited on my own theory!! :D:lol:  

:wub: 

cr: cinebook.vn

Isn't Yoo Seung Ho the new CF model for Baskin Robbins?  Nice that he sent an ice cream truck down.  The ad is so cute... 

Wednesday is fast approaching.  I would say new beginnings to many things about to happen.  The Queen, the Gisaeng, the undercovers, ... can't wait!!!

Good morning Monarchs :)

Wow. We almost reach 200 pages :wink:

@sakura2016 if she is deemed a traitor, her title will be ripped away and she will have to be punished. I think the reason why she can't attack DM directly is because she knoes the influence of Pyunsoo in the court, too. And because she is trying to gain the hands of the King to help her. I wonder how CP will act when he comes to know she had a hand in his parents death. I don't think he knows, right?

I really love the essence of fans at times. I see that in every drama, fans or sponsor companies will send out food trucks and drinks to the crew. It really is so sweet and considerate. The crew will need energy to film.

31 minutes ago, nurlayla said:

remember in the preview HG confess to granddad that she loves CP...i think granddad will immediately catch CP or something like that. he must damn curious with who is this CP that her beloved granddaughter love after the 1st confession 5yrs ago (dont think during that 5yrs HG in any relationship) maybe HG follow CP to protect or tell him to be extra careful..u know, something like that

She did ask Gon to follow and find out everything about him so I am not surprised if he is the one who told her where CP is. I also think she will be given the position of chief leader for the group.

I think DM will be suspicious, more like curious about who the chief peddler is even more now. And once he sees him, he will recognize him. He has seen the real face of CP. 

Monarch,

Preview for episodes 17 & 18 

The translation of ep.17 is a bit off. It should be: Now (I) don't want to leave you and turn away from you anymore. And for ep.18, GE is in the dilemma between the Queen's offer to become court lady and seeking revenge for her father. And for HG, it's more like a negotiation, not collaboration.

Credit to @ktcjdrama 

Tq...

@herina_90 wow, great observation! Is his uniform the normal regular uniform? Not like his father's? Gotta go and rewatch some earlier scenes. Could it be that our CP already reclaim the throne by this shooting date?

@faye406 The translation of ep.17 is a bit off. It should be: Now (I) don't want to leave you and turn away from you anymore. And for ep.18, GE is in the dilemma between the Queen's offer to become court lady and seeking revenge for her father. And for HG, it's more like a negotiation, not collaboration.

@vangsweetie637 Good evening, chingu! As you rise and shine, it's time for me to get ready for bed :D

Wow, happy 200th page, Monarchs!

3 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@herina_90 wow, great observation! Is his uniform the normal regular uniform? Not like his father's? Gotta go and rewatch some earlier scenes. Could it be that our CP already reclaim the throne by this shooting date?

I looked back to ep 9, and it looks reallllyyy similar to what his father was wearing.

35 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Yeah, I'm curious about what DM will do after this, and I'm curious whether he still wants CP to cooperate with him or not. Obviously, CP is too dangerous for him. First, CP has influence on the peddlers and the merchants.Secondly, CP had found the copper and handed them to the Queen, and third, his granddaughter falls in love with CP. And I also want to know whether he'll suspect ChiefPeddler's identity or not, since HG used to be in love with the CrownPrince (or  perhaps he's just gonna wonder why his grand daughter always falls in love with his enemies - LOL - ).

I was thinking the same thing. LOL.

21 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I think DM will be suspicious, more like curious about who the chief peddler is even more now. And once he sees him, he will recognize him. He has seen the real face of CP.

Exactly. Has HG forgotten that? But really, it is very encouraging that HG still seek the safety of CP above all else, even though she obviously knows her grandfather will never allow her to be with him.

43 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Yeah, I'm curious about what DM will do after this, and I'm curious whether he still wants CP to cooperate with him or not. Obviously, CP is too dangerous for him. First, CP has influence on the peddlers and the merchants.Secondly, CP had found the copper and handed them to the Queen, and third, his granddaughter falls in love with CP. And I also want to know whether he'll suspect ChiefPeddler's identity or not, since HG used to be in love with the CrownPrince (or  perhaps he's just gonna wonder why his grand daughter always falls in love with his enemies - LOL - ).

I don't see him still wanting/thining about having the Chief Peddlers on his side after joining forces with the Queen against him!! and yeah he must feel cursed now with every man his dear granddaughter falls for ending up being his enemie though it's the same man in reality!! :lol: 

36 minutes ago, kimchigal2 said:

Isn't Yoo Seung Ho the new CF model for Baskin Robbins?  Nice that he sent an ice cream truck down.  The ad is so cute... 

Wednesday is fast approaching.  I would say new beginnings to many things about to happen.  The Queen, the Gisaeng, the undercovers, ... can't wait!!!

oh yeah he is!! I didn't pay attention to the name being not much into CFs but when you pointed out I remembered seeing his CF of Baskin Robins ice cream!! and yeah it was a cute one!! :wub: 

me too!! :D

35 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Good morning Monarchs :)

Wow. We almost reach 200 pages :wink:

@sakura2016 if she is deemed a traitor, her title will be ripped away and she will have to be punished. I think the reason why she can't attack DM directly is because she knoes the influence of Pyunsoo in the court, too. And because she is trying to gain the hands of the King to help her. I wonder how CP will act when he comes to know she had a hand in his parents death. I don't think he knows, right?

I really love the essence of fans at times. I see that in every drama, fans or sponsor companies will send out food trucks and drinks to the crew. It really is so sweet and considerate. The crew will need energy to film.

I'm waiting for that!! *evil smile* 

yeah she needs more help to attack Dea Mok and having his puppet King to her side will be a big help and will take alot of his power and will be added to hers though that won't last long too for her because he'll be joining our King fighting against her too!! :D 

Ibelieve he doesn't know, all he knows is that Dea Mok attacked the Palace but don't think he even doubted the Queen helping him despite knowing she's not to be trusted fully for her greed for power but not to the point to help Dea Mok killing the late King and his mother!! if/when he knows he'll put her as his big ennemy beside Dea Mok!! 

23 minutes ago, faye406 said:

Monarch,

Preview for episodes 17 & 18 

Wow, HG want to collaborate with DM to not kill CP. I wonder whether DM will agree or decline it.

thank you so much fr sharng chingu!! :wub:

I knew this girls way of helping will be as twisted as she is but maybe she'll betray her grandfather while acting as if she's on his side? hopefully!!

20 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@faye406 The translation of ep.17 is a bit off. It should be: Now (I) don't want to leave you and turn away from you anymore. And for ep.18, GE is in the dilemma between the Queen's offer to become court lady and seeking revenge for her father. And for HG, it's more like a negotiation, not collaboration.

@vangsweetie637 Good evening, chingu! As you rise and shine, it's time for me to get ready for bed :D

Wow, happy 200th page, Monarchs!

than you so much for the translation chingu!! :wub: I'm s excited for the new episode(s) :w00t: 

sweet dreams chingu!! :wub: 

YAAAY!! we reached 200 pages!! Congratulations Monarchs!! :D 

On 2/6/2017 at 8:35 AM, faye406 said:

She's just self absorbed with herself. In previous episode, HG just keep wondering whether CP remember her? Think about her? Knows about her? 

She's tailgates CP everywhere... 

We were given full exposure about her feelings towards CP.. But GE none, even we can see CPxGE scenes were edited out. 

How I wish that writernims build a strong foundation towards CPxGE relationship earlier before 5 years transition occurs.

Me too.  But I think the writer has written and develop the part of GE , I would rather think its  the problems in the editing .  The editing of the drama mostly keep only about the development parts of HG but cut most parts of GE, that's the reason why GE's part become incomplete.

@ktcjdrama I also remember that as of now, HG confirmed with Gon if her grandfather only knows CP as the chief peddler and not crown prince. Gon say yes. So HG is willing to negotiate with DM hence his words 'what will you give me in exchange for sparing his life?' But in truth, i don't think he will really spare the CP's life. He didn't do it 5 years ago when HG pleaded for him not to bury the CP. When he figures out who chief peddler really is, he will either use it to his advantage or all bets will be off. Goodnight chingu. See you again when you wake up :)

@sakura2016 as far as i remember, CP only knows it was Pyunsoo and DM who killed his parents. He probably doesn't suspect the QD yet at this time. The way he talked to her didn't give off the vibe that he knew she had a hand with DM at one point. And he did say he will help the QD behind the scenes to WB. Now that I think of it, if she holds the military power, is that why there were no royal guards the night of killing the King? I always wonder why only Commader Chief was the only one protecting the King that night. Talking about him, his death was sad too. I noticed he sighed when he got killed by Gon, almost as if he knew it was the end for him even though he would have wanted to be able to protect more. That was sad :( and i still feel sad for CW. Poor guy. Didn't even get to grieve for his dad.

6 hours ago, rittoo said:

you are probably right, but on the morally side, how can you marry someone for your own goals and then "protect yourself from him", that' like double fraud and not something to be proud of...

I think there's a bit misguided here...being appointed as the court ladies doesnt mean they are all married to the  king. It just mean they are untouchable by other men unless they were bestow by the king himself or the present king is replace by another king. Usually those bedded by the king were given a token, some kind of hair accessories or jewelleries as a proof or to identify if the lady shares the room with the king. 

Therefore, if using her wits she can escape sharing bed, or she can talk her way out of it, then its not consider cheating, especially we know the king she belongs to isnt the one who's living in the palace but the one by her side outside the palace. The king in the palaca is an imposter to begin with, wether she knows it or not she definitely doesnt belongs to him.

I've been thinking about some of the events in ep.15/16. Mainly on the placing of WB as Minister of Personnel. --- CP requested this from the Queen, that means she has the power/authority to appoint ministers? Shouldn't that be determined by the King? Who is the Minister of Personnel before WB took office? No one in that post? --- Is this another plot hole that was overlooked by writer-nim? If so, that's one serious plot hole.

Anyhow, if Queen has authority to appoint/remove ministers, she could have removed those crooked ministers, couldn't she? Also, the fact that those crooked ministers still need to go through the motion of King approving decrees with PSH coding for show, I'm somehow comforted that not the whole body officials is aware of the King being a puppet. They were all pleading together for King to approve because of the suggestions of those key ministers. Notice there are those in red robes and blue robes, I believe different ranking.

Sharing a little history/politics lesson which I managed to dig up: There are 6 ministries in the palace: War, Personnel, Finance, Labor, Law, Culture (equivalent to education/foreign affairs). There is a Prime Minister and 2 Deputy Ministers above these ministers, under the King.

My guess so far that one person who often talk to DM alone is the Prime Minister. (Still have to study the position where they stand in the assembly to determine that. They just look all the same in the uniform that it is difficult to tell who is who. The only minister we know not completely on DM's side is Minister of War, Queen's relative. Now we have WB as the Minister of Personnel. I haven't really checked if that Minister of Finance guy is in PSH or not. Again, they all look so similar, lol...

CMIIW

Edit to add: King LS has clearly disobeyed DM's instruction to pass the decree on giving authority to Water Bureau to mint coins. It seems that as long as there is no valid reason to submit to PSH request, King is allowed to decline the request? Because copper is now available in the Ministry of Finance, so King cannot just pass the decree of letting Water Bureau have the authority to mint coins. Again, this is probably because not all officials are under DM. So King cannot make it too obvious that while Ministry of Finance is able to give coins, why give the authority away to outside party. He has to put on an act ---- sorry if I'm not making sense and probably rambling.

@ktcjdrama

The QD only has influence on the appointment of ministers, not direct power to do it. DM might not be able to get rid of her yet, but it's even more difficult for her to work against DM who is very powerful and has many ministers on his side.

I think there were mostly two fractions of ministers in Joseon, weren't there? Mainly there have to be at least 2 different opinions in court so not everyone agrees with DM but that doesn't mean that the fraction against DM is very strong.

@lxands

You are absolutely right lol, I was just thinking that the scenery looked a lot like her in a night gown combined with the last episode I had some associations of my own.... A court lady is of course not officially married to the king, however I do think the QD wasn't meaning for her to get into the palace and be a random palace maiden but that she was planning things bc she realized the king has taken a liking to the girl and she needs a spy in his close vincinity. I mean with the way the show is going (the greater plot is really simple to guess....) nothing bad will probably happen between those who are not destined to be, but you know, sometimes I'm not sure if it's bad thing or a good thing to be surprised by a show where you think you know everything that'll happen already, lol.

10 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I've been thinking about some of the events in ep.15/16. Mainly on the placing of WB as Minister of Personnel. --- CP requested this from the Queen, that means she has the power/authority to appoint ministers? Shouldn't that be determined by the King? Who is the Minister of Personnel before WB took office? No one in that post? --- Is this another plot hole that was overlooked by writer-nim? If so, that's one serious plot hole.

Anyhow, if Queen has authority to appoint/remove ministers, she could have removed those crooked ministers, couldn't she? Also, the fact that those crooked ministers still need to go through the motion of King approving decrees with PSH coding for show, I'm somehow comforted that not the whole body officials is aware of the King being a puppet. They were all pleading together for King to approve because of the suggestions of those key ministers. Notice there are those in red robes and blue robes, I believe different ranking.

@ktcjdrama  From my understanding the Dowager and her father was apart of Pyunsoo Group. This could be how she entered the palace.. Now that HG holds more power then her she wants to use GE to wristle her power back from the group and the king.. She had the power at one point to appoint ministers when she was the ruler behind the incompetent king.. Now that she's giving up the seal to the king she really as no authority to appoint anyone.. I don't know if this is and over sight from the writer but I thought this is how it works..

Now when it came to when the king got killed I think by this time Pyunsoo Group already had control of the Eunichs and the Royal Guards.. She could have been aware of the attack on the palace at that time but it was no way for her to do anything about it. In her mind she thought she would be in control of Pyunsoo Group but as it turns out it was the biggest mistake she could have made and she sees that now.. This is why she wants to get rid of this King and appoint her own someone she can control to get her power back..  

HAPPY 200 PAGES

Archived