[Drama 2016] Beautiful Gong Shim 미녀 공심이

mysignisflower

thank you  @irilight for welcoming me hello-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455361

gosh i already had 2nd lead syndrome, he is so cute haha... i have to agree with his mother, he is too kind. i have to add too polite and too "yes mam", it's surprising me that he agree go out with GM, guess GM will not avoid meet GS in restaurant otherwise she will manipulate the situation and show to GS that she and JS are close / know each other. 

i think GS will start to avoiding JS even more, since now she think that JS is like another man who only like her sister. wonder how JS reaction will be... 

GM that young lady really get me on my nerve LOL

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just realize that this is 20 episode drama...Its mean it gonna take sometime for SJP/ADT revealed as a sole heir but I hope during this time he prove his abilities to the people around him. I hope this is just 16 episode drama because I think 20 episode is quite long for a romantic comedy genre.

I wonder if at this point GM is even capable of anything genuine.

Most of us agree about GM being selfish, cunning, golddigger.  Now here is a question for everyone. By these character traits GM is not very different than JS mom - Yeom Tae-Hee -  who probably also picked her husband Suk Dae-Hwang - for his position, power, and money; Now she worries as she ages, of losing her position to a younger version of herself. (She does know her husband...!)

Question is, why are we all so angry with GM for her conduct, (or rather, misconduct) but not even consider UTH?  Is it because we do not like YTH's husband, while we like GS? Is it morally correct to be a golddiger selfish queen B towards an equally unlikable character, but offensive to do so towards a nice character? What do you all think?

@irilight Thanks for pointing our attention to it! Sure, JS' mother could be seen as a golddigger too, yet we don't know the whole story. Besides, there is a difference between GM and YTH. JS was born, when JP's parents died. So JS' father was not seen as the legal heir of that Group. His half-brother and his wife were alive and their son JP would habe been the future heir after his father. As conclusion, the position of JS' father was lower, yet she married him before the accident. Now this leads us to ask the question:

- Was the accident a coincidence or was it an (attempted) murder? 

So if YTH and her brother worked together and had all this planned, yes she would be seen as a coldhearted, manipulative golddigger. But there is another possibility: what if her brother who has huge ambitions, decided to use her marriage with JS' father. So after the birth of JS he sees now that this is the time to change the cards: create the accident and kill the half-brother and his family so that JS' father and JS would get the inheritance. I am quite sure, the birth of JP must have had an impact: he was a boy. If the child had been a girl, it would have been different. 

Let's get back to our character YHT: if she has not participated to all this (a theory from me), then  I don't see her as a golddigger. We must imagine that it is not easy to marry someone who was the result of an affair. Besides, why I am not so harsh on her is that her husband has cheated on her many times. Her being upset illustrates that she is hurt. If she had been a golddigger, she wouldn't care for that kind of things at all. She could ask for an arrangement, like he can have many mistresses, but he is not allowed to file for divorce. Yet this woman is hurt... On the other hand, the fact she pointed out to JS that GS was flirting with him because of his wealth could be seen as a clue that she might have acted like that in the past as well. Or another interpretation is that she is well aware how many young women think because she has witnessed it  with JS. She thought, she was trying to protect him. Or another reason could be that as long as her husband was just the illegitimate  son of the mistress, women were not interested in her husband. Yet after JP's disappearance and his parents' death, her husband's social status changed. From that moment, he got attention and women/secretaries started flirting with him/seducing him as he was more powerful. That's why she came to notice how women would behave. And she is not wrong in the sense that all secretaries are jealous of GS. They want to get close the boss and to power. 

To me, his mother shows concern for JS. The way JS treated her showed us that they are quite close, but still there is a distance as she sees him only as the future heir. GM is much colder because she doesn't even see her sister at all. I mean it as such, she would like her sister to disappear from the Earth so that she would feel less embarrassed. 

Besides, she is often witnessing that her son JS is looked down by the halmoni. The halmoni is quite rude to him and her mother takes his defense, while JS accepts without any comment. The fact she defies the halmoni, protests aso shows us that she is no indifferent. GM is portrayed as an indifferent person: she doesn't care for her parents as well. Not ony GS is mistreated, but she is also cold to her parents, yet they don't seem to notice it.

So that's why people are less upset with the mother than with GM. What do you think about it?

8 hours ago, farhah_1986 said:

I just realize that this is 20 episode drama...Its mean it gonna take sometime for SJP/ADT revealed as a sole heir but I hope during this time he prove his abilities to the people around him. I hope this is just 16 episode drama because I think 20 episode is quite long for a romantic comedy genre.

@farhah_1986, I hope not. I have a feeling that the bad guys will find out first because the aunt is not going to tell him that he was kidnapped--she wants to keep it a secret.  However, it does have to come out because there is the mystery of finding out who killed his parents and why. I think the guy that Gong Shim accidentally called a 'dog' (?) had something to do with it. 

I actually feel really bad for the grandmother. She lost her son, daughter-in-law and grandson all in one day---I think.  Maybe Dan Tae had/has a good relationship with his kidnapper father, but I don't really get that impression; the relationship seems a little strained to me.  It does appear that he loved his kidnapper mom. Maybe it was because Dan Tae went to prison and his wife died that the father seems a little distant.  Yes, going to prison helped Dan Tae in his new profession, but it could also be argued that he would have never had to deal with the harshness of prison life if he had been raised by his grandmother. More than likely, he would have been the president of the company if he had been returned to his family.  His grandmother is surrounded by her "son" that was born from a mistress, so these people are of no blood relations to her--not even the grandson.  She knows that the "son" and his wife only what her money.  This woman hasn't had anyone to protect her in her old age. 

I also can't wait to see how Gong Shim is going to be developed. At the moment she's a doormat for people to abuse. I still ca't believe that the parents let her sister convert her room into a closet--which she has to sleep in.  I also don't like the fact that her sister is ashamed of her and uses her to her own benefit; she sold her out in my opinion. Yes the sister is working and taking care of her family, but what is she doing for Gong Shim? She wouldn't even give her money to take a class , although Gong Shim acts more like the family maid. Can't wait to se how she's made to be a stronger person.

16 hours ago, evie7 said:

@irilight, Where did you find the character chart. Did I miss it in this thread?

@evie7, I have not seen a character chart for this drama.  Viki did a great job of translating the main 4 leads character descriptions

https://www.viki.com/tv/30484c-dear-fair-lady-kong-shim

Character descriptions for the supporting cast are on the official site. (I had posted some of the original Hangul writing in hopes there is someone who can translate here, but no translator...). I just used Google Translate to get an idea of what they are writing.

http://program.sbs.co.kr/builder/programSubCharacter.do?pgm_id=22000009441&pgm_build_id=16207&pgm_mnu_id=43259

The one missing the photo, as noted earlier, is halmoni.

16 hours ago, dhia205 said:

i think GS will start to avoiding JS even more, since now she think that JS is like another man who only like her sister. wonder how JS reaction will be... 

I hope JS learns to say No.... and put his foot down.

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

As conclusion, the position of JS' father was lower, yet she married him before the accident. Now this leads us to ask the question:

- Was the accident a coincidence or was it an (attempted) murder? 

@bebebisous33,  Thank you for answering my questions. Love your detailed answer!   I agree of course that YTH did not marry the heir apparent, but she did marry into money.  And as you pointed out, we do not know the background of those brother/sister team. (I wish we did). The way YDC is willing to "dirty his hands" makes me think they do not come from "money."  You know I love your questions. Somehow, I have a feeling that if it was indeed an attempted murder, brother did it on his own, without her even. I may be wrong. But I disagree that the fact she is upset with her husband's cheating is because she is hurt. It could be the case, of course. But it could also mean she is worried about her position if he finds a younger version of her. I think even if she agreed to a settlement with hubby that he can have mistresses but no divorce, it is still pretty hurtful (even if she did not love him). Just imagine the gossip....
I agree that halmoni treats JS poorly. It is not his fault that his grandpa had an affair!  I hope that when ADT comes into the family eventually, his friendship with JS will help elevate JS also in halmoni's eyes.  I also agree, that it seems that GM cares for no one - including her parents, while YTH at least does care for her son. I hope she cared more to share his inner world. Does she know for example, that he loves woodcraft?

It's a bit ironic, as you had pointed out earlier, that the 3 leads had suffered from childhood without love and attention; While it is the lost adopted kid (ADT) who was loved by his adoptive parents.

@farhah1986, I looked at the scriptwriter previous works, in rom-com.
"The Girl who Sees Smells" was 16 episodes.
"Rooftop Prince" was 20 episodes.

5 hours ago, lclarakl said:

This woman hasn't had anyone to protect her in her old age. 

Good point... Given the impression I get about YDC, I would almost be afraid he may end up trying to hurt halmoni.
I really want Gong-Shim to grow a lot on her own - regardless of the man in her life. I want her parents and others, to appreciate her for what she is.

And I really want to hear her say "No" to her boss, SDW - about snitching for him about ADT.

두근두근~ 공심이 첫 출근!

Fan-art....

CjDhxztUkAEunt6.jpg

4 hours ago, irilight said:

I agree that halmoni treats JS poorly. It is not his fault that his grandpa had an affair!  I hope that when ADT comes into the family eventually, his friendship with JS will help elevate JS also in halmoni's eyes.  I also agree, that it seems that GM cares for no one - including her parents

rather than elevate, i think JS position will be more tumble in granny eyes if ADT back to family. When she has her hairs she won't need JS again, even now she didn't think that JS is important and keep blame him for JP missing. but i'm sure ADT will help him tho, i don't think it's DT nature to stay still when his friend/family in injustice. 

in other side i wish that JS will not change to DT since he must be feel jealous and threatened too. 

who said GM didn't cares for no one? she's indeed care for 1 person, it's Her Self LOL.

i replay this scene over and over again 

insta_19.gif

GOSH... JS Smile just Cute :wub:

insta002_4.gif

i have to admit that i didn't expect Minah will be good, her cracking voice when he made to her family quite heart breaking tho. 

@dhia205 IT was me who wrote that GM cared for no one! But you proved me wrong with your joke!!:D 

As for JS: The reappearance of ADT as heir might not make JS jealous of him because he will feel less pressured. Since he is not the heir, he might decide to do what he really wanted to do before like f. ex. carpentry. If JS is going to get jealous of ADT, it will be more about GS. He really likes her. However I agree with you that ADT will protect JS from the harsh comment said by the halmoni. ADT will make her change her mind. Besides, she could notice how close they are to each other. 

@irilight You said,JS' mother married into money. I'm not so sure about it. I can't imagine that the halmoni would have allowed her step-son to marry someone who was totally below his social status. Besides, if her brother is a director, this means, he must have at least studied aso. Connections are not enough. So, from my point of view, money must have not played a big part in it. I mean, this can't definitely be excluded that money was a reason, yet I am still believing that she does love her husband. Why should she feel threatened by a younger woman? I doubt, the halmoni would allow a divorce, so her position is quite secured. Besides, the halmoni has herself suffered from an affair, she will never support a divorce. 

Hello everyone,
 may I join even if I'm a bit late in the game? I was just able to marathon the first 4 episodes today due to it being a public holiday on my side and I really liked the show as it reminded me of some old folk stories while watching. I really loved it. That's why I decided I need to check the thread as well. Unfortunately I do not have the time to back-read the thread, so forgive me if my first impression post is including some ideas that were already discussed.

@hushhh It's funny because while watching it immediately reminded me of "Frau Holle" as well, so I'm happy not to be the only one with that impression. But it also reminds me of "Aschenputtel" (Cinderella) and "Das hässliche Entlein" (ugly duckling) and I'm not talking about the Disney versions here. The paternity test our heroine made while being a teenager because she could not believe she really is part of this family is rather telling for me as it cleverly plays with the step-siblings motive. So I asked myself can we be sure that her older sister is her real sister? Or would that be a bit to many birth secrets for a light-hearted spin on the usual weekend drama fare?

But I can't help it the way her older sister is treating her it reminds me of all the typical step-sisters of the old German folk stories and fairy-tales and her parents give me the same vibes as well. GS feels like the good-hearted princess that is always mis-used but not seen for what she is worth and just for who she really is. Well at least not until we most likely get a nice make-over and transformation from ugly duckling into beautiful swan later into the show. Actually that also feels a bit like the first stages of the telenovela "Ugly Betty" (no matter which version - Mexican, American, German etc.).

Some of you also mentioned that the most likely outcome will be GS-DT and GM-JS. If that’s really what the story is aining for GM first needs to have a full personality change first. But it once again reminds me of another fairy-tale “Schneeweißchen und Rosenrot” (Snow White and Rose Red) where to sisters are falling in love and are loved by two royal brothers and both pairs have to fight for being together and finding happiness at the end of the day.

Anyhow, the whole setup just feels like a mash-up of some of the more well-known brothers Grimm fairy tales. I’m really looking forward whether I still get this feeling the further the drama progresses.

There is one thing I'm curious about and that is whether money was involved during the settlement of GS assault case. GM's boss said to pay the other side whatever they want to before GM stepped in to take over. She promised to solve the issue so I'm curious whether she promised to solve it without settlement money being involved or whether she actually played not just sister (and to that extent parents as well) by asking her not to sue or whether she also played her boss by telling him it's solved but there is a certain amount of settlement money needed and she just kept it for herself as some kind of bonus for her efforts. That would be an extremely low move but it would also fit with her personality as it is shown right now and maybe she is justifying it for herself as she deserves it as her family is living of her and spending more money that she can bring home.

I like the second male lead as he seems to be so grounded and low key for having such a high class family background and such complicated family affairs. I like that he did not turn into some cold hearted bay guy but kept his warmth although having a grandma that is not friendly towards him and his parents always trying to push him. And I can see why he thinks his budding relationships with GS and DT are important as the counterbalance his normal life that is not allowing him to live his life as he wants to but always within the rules of his class and family background. Even without knowing who DT most likely is he feels close to him and maybe even is drawn by his simple and idealistic personality and lifestyle. Same goes for GS – he is drawn by both of their characters as they are so different from how everyone around him is. He is drawn by their unique personalities and his hobby of carpeting is also telling because he would love to have the chance to live a normal and peaceful life as well while being fully aware that he can’t have that as long as he is his family’s only successor.

Anyway, I hope this story is not going down the route most weekend dramas somehow end up going. I don't want it to turn into makjang when a it could stay as pleasent and light as it is right now. Being so warm and light is a welcome twist from the usual fare in my book.

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Why should she feel threatened by a younger woman? I doubt, the halmoni would allow a divorce, so her position is quite secured. Besides, the halmoni has herself suffered from an affair, she will never support a divorce. 

@bebebisous33, good point...!  And I hope she does love her husband...

In YTC's character description they refer to him as "gangster brother." I don't know if this is a reference to his past, or only a manner of wording about his character. I agree with you that he must have studied.
I wish we had more of the back story.... Maybe more will be revealed later... though I sort of doubt it, since they are supporting characters.

Minah (민아) of Girls Day (걸스데이) – My First Kiss Lyrics (Beautiful Gong Shim (미녀 공심이) OST Part.2 (SBS 주말드라마))  English Translation

That feeling only I don’t know
My friends already know

They say I’m still a child
They all make fun of me

I wanna know
An electric feeling
Tremblings that make my heart wanna explode
Come on
Why are you hesitating?

Come a little closer, a little more
I’ll softly close my eyes
I’m a little scared cuz it’s my first time
But it’ll be alright because it’s you

This trembling feeling between us
Please break down this awkwardness
This moment has only been given to you
The time is now, fool

1 2 3 & 4 yeah
My first kiss my my my first kiss
My first kiss

I wanna Know
This sweet feeling
I get red just by holding hands with you
But I’m ready
Look at my moist lips

Come a little closer, a little more

The time is now, fool

I wanna Know

My first kiss

I told you I missed you late at night
You’re the one who makes my heart flutter

Why are you hesitating now?
What about me, who’s been waiting?

Take one step closer, a little more

The time is now, fool

Don’t stop

source: ilyricsbuzz

@Lady_Fay Welcome to this thread!!! cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532 The more, the merrier!!cheerleader pink mouseSo you mentioned this story reminded you of fairy tales like "Cinderella", "Snow White and Red Rose" and "Ugly duckling". I would add another one "Diamonds and Toads" (summary here) written by Perrault (French fairy tale writer from the 17th Century). The resemblance between the story BGS and the fairy tale is striking:

- the eldest daughter looks like her mother, just like in BGS

- both are rude and arrogant!!

- the mother favours the older daughter

- the younger looks more like her father (here it is more about her virtues like honesty aso). Nevertheless, she has more connections to her father than her mother

- The younger must work and eat in the kitchen: here again, GS is used as maid or servant. Gs is a better cook than her mother. When her mother needs to cook, she asks for GS' help. GS has to do errands for her sister.

- Then one day, the younger is sent and meets a fairy. The fairy looks like a poor woman. We must imagine that the girl has compassion and is willing to help others. So does GS. Moreover, I believe in BGS, the fairy is represented by ADT. ADT seems to be poor, yet as soon as he is recognised as the heir, he is be the one who helps GS. JS is representing the other fairy, the one who meets the elder sister as she appears as a rich woman. The elder sister doesn't want to help her. JS is coming from a rich family so the fairy and JS have something in common. Sure, it is not about helping, it is about marriage. So GM' approach resembles the action of the oldest daughter. She is there in order to help the poor woman and get a reward, just like her sister. Just like GM, she is cold and has ambition. Besides, she doesn't realise that her behavior reflects her true personality. She only wants to help the poor woman and becomes rich. GM wants to date JS and she is expecting something from it: a possible marriage so that her life can improve. In the fairy tale, the eldest is punished for her action: toads are coming from her mouth. Hence JS will realise why GM approached him and he will send her away. GM's true personality will be exposed and as such, she isn't admired any longer. Sure, the story might be a little different. Yet, I am sure, JS will be mad at her.

I don't think, GM asked for any compensation. In order to impress her boss, she said, she would make the girl drop the suit. In doing so, she wanted to distinguish herself from all the other lawyers. No one would have expected  such an outcome: the wife has no compensation to pay. By doing the impossible, she was able to really impress her boss. That's why he has started taking her seriously.

@bebebisous33  Liking your avatar.. My other favorite couple right now I'm so giddy! love! LOL remembering the scene..  :w00t::wub:

Thumbs up to your post. My most hated character right now in kdrama... GM! That sister is ugh! disgusting and the mother. To ask.. even beg for GS to drop the assault to save herself... Where's the morals and values of these two! Sheesh! ( okay done with my rant.. he he I know I know it's only dramas lol)

Will GS have a transformation?   I wonder.  If I have a wand right now, I'd turn GS into a princess.

GS.. YOU ARE LOVED!

cr:sbs

Ci3RqKtUoAEijj3.jpg

CinkwRQUYAAX8Fr.jpg

I know this is a tad early and off-topic, but what are the odds that GM will end up with JS in the end?  The way most kdramas go that would be the likely predictable end for the secondary couple.  Personally, I'm hoping that GM gets her rear kicked to the curb and JS end up with someone more deserving of him or no one if necessary.  I would like for a character like GM to end up with nothing regardless of whether GM develops a conscience (and discovers she really is in love with JS).  

I really like the fact that GS is confident and outspoken in her own way instead of being meek.  Growing up in her sister's shadow and being aware of it couldn't have been easy so I like that GS has still retained her spirit and gumption in face of all that.

Otherwise I'm enjoying this show.  I'm glad DB is recapping the show. Last weekend a friend recommended that I watch which I was planning to do eventually.  Originally, I was planning to binge watch the show when it wrapped, but I'm glad I decided to go ahead rather than wait.  It's a funny show.  For those like myself who were on the fence about watching or waiting to watch, I recommend making time and watching the show now.  I'm glad that I did.

Guest emme85

@bebebisous33 unnie!! I'm here too!!

Finally get to join in this thread since I was so busy for the past month... I hope I can always drop by and comment in here frequently~~

Wherever I go, I see many familiar faces in here!! Hi all!! @lclarakl @irilight @evie7 @jongski @alekaonu! Mian if I miss anyone else whom I knew and know me.. :P 

I really love this drama.. I like Minah and especially Nam Goong Min.. though this is the 1st time I watch Minah in lead role, I already like her (and went to re-watch her in Running Man's episode :D)~ NGM? I like him since wayyyyyyy before... hahahahaha.....

Actually I don't really know the existing of this drama before (I don't even know when they're casting the actors).. then suddenly I saw the drama's title topped the rating in myasiantv list.. so I clicked the link and saw it was still only on ep2.. I tried to watch it.. dang!! LOVE IT!!! :wub:

NGM is so cuteeeeee when he wanted GS to put on the band aid on his forehead.. even though he's already 38 y.o~ hahahaha

But we still don't have preview for tomorrow's episode, right?

@emme85 You're almost watching the same list of dramas than me!! leafWelcome to this thread!!  cheerleader pink mouse  I agree with you, the main actress is doing a very good job.

I don't know if I am alone on this, but I don't see GM as that beautiful and attractive. I really prefer GS, not just because of her character but also because she has a pretty face. She exudes innocence and purity.

I miss Gong Shim already.... why saturday is so far away.... 

I wonder if our 2 cute "elderly with back ache" are able to pass their dinner in peace.... will medusa come inside the restaurant or will she make excuses to get her and JS leave that place??

I hope the writer will give us light about how JP becoming DT.... how he can end up with his current family... I really want to know the answer.

And how will GS react in front of JS now since the misunderstanding scene they haven't met face to face again...

Guest emme85
17 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@emme85 You're almost watching the same list of dramas than me!! leafWelcome to this thread!!  cheerleader pink mouse  I agree with you, the main actress is doing a very good job.

I don't know if I am alone on this, but I don't see GM as that beautiful and attractive. I really prefer GS, not just because of her character but also because she has a pretty face. She exudes innocence and purity.

Agree with u unnie... even a person who is really ugly outside, but have a pretty/good heart inside, is the prettiest!

17 minutes ago, Yippeuni said:

I miss Gong Shim already.... why saturday is so far away.... 

I wonder if our 2 cute "elderly with back ache" are able to pass their dinner in peace.... will medusa come inside the restaurant or will she make excuses to get her and JS leave that place??

I hope the writer will give us light about how JP becoming DT.... how he can end up with his current family... I really want to know the answer.

And how will GS react in front of JS now since the misunderstanding scene they haven't met face to face again...

"elderly with back ache" That is so cute! :D 

Will GM go inside the restaurant when she saw GS going inside?? I doubt that unless she wanted to purposely introduce JS that GS is her sister.. even if she's not going to introduce her, JS will probably sees them and wanting to sit together for dinner~ and that could be a worse scenario if GM wants to maintain her innocent fake personality/social life..

But still I'm curious on what she'll do!! 

Owh.. u guys haven't discussed on this? Mian.. I haven't back read on this thread.. haha

On 5/26/2016 at 6:04 PM, bebebisous33 said:

@dhia205 IT was me who wrote that GM cared for no one! But you proved me wrong with your joke!!:D 

As for JS: The reappearance of ADT as heir might not make JS jealous of him because he will feel less pressured. Since he is not the heir, he might decide to do what he really wanted to do before like f. ex. carpentry. If JS is going to get jealous of ADT, it will be more about GS. He really likes her. However I agree with you that ADT will protect JS from the harsh comment said by the halmoni. ADT will make her change her mind. Besides, she could notice how close they are to each other. 

i hope so, i hope JS won't change... he is too cute to be an evil out of jealousy LOL. but i don't think that he will feel less pressured either, because JS mother must be bother him. and i already feel short of jealousy when DT told him that his granny have a sense of humor, and talking freely with him. the thing that the granny do with JS.

GS matter will be make JS on fire for sure, hopefully they will be play fair to win GS. i wonder will GS change her appearance?, she really need to realize that many people love her...

Archived