Movies: FIRST and LAST

CamelKnight

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time machine

the old 1960s version was weird but I liked this one with guy pierce -- a man haunted by the words "what if?" ...

8 hours ago, packmule3 said:

but there was something "greasy" about David Morrisey's Colonel Brandon. 

yup, there was! kekekek... it was the way he looked at her... almost predator like! hahahha..  I liked the indian version of sense and sensibility and the colonel brandon - a man suffering from PTSD and his injury from war and just bitter and frustrated till he meets marianne. his initial interest in her is simply more intellectual (he criticizes her singing and tells her to get voice lessons because she is dropping notes. kekeke) and after she gets dumped and has a meltdown, he pushes her into a singing career and helps her family out of affection. he never expects to have a chance with her and so does not even contemplate it -- and it is she who notices him and makes the move. so it seemed less greasy. kekekke...  the movie is called "kandukondain kandukondain"

EDIT: phikyl had already posted. Daddy Day Camp

Patch Adams

- the real man is much more interesting than the one shown in the movie. :wink:

@Lmangla  ahh, so you also found the character oily, eh? :crazy:. At first, I thought that I was guilty of a "spillover" effect. I saw David Morrissey in another BBC production, an adaptation of Charles Dickens' Our Mutual Friend. In it, DM played the creepy headmaster stalking the very lovely heroine. Because he played his role so convincingly, I blamed myself for seeing double - that is, he was being obsessive and stalkerish again in Sense and Sensibility. 

I have to find this kandukonian kandukonian. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

He's Not Just Into You

- haven't seen this but I remember how the title became such a catchphrase. "He's just not into you, honey" sounded so much nicer and sympathetic than "Quit being delusional!" 

@staygold, haha. How's Tunnel? What's the plot? Is it another one of those time-traveling things where the guy goes back in time or goes to the future whenever he's in the tunnel -- just like that melodrama, Tomorrow With You?

Or does he change his gender? Like in Secret Garden? :D

Uzumaki aka Spiral (Japanese horror movie)

I have never watched this movie but have read the manga it was based on by Junji Ito. I heard the movie was bad though the manga to me was not that scary but rather gross. The spiral images made me watlnt to vomit for some reason. Junji Ito has a way of making his drawings look really creepy.

56 minutes ago, staygold said:

Sleuth

@packmule3 I happened to see your name while scrolling main forum page and it said movies so had to check. I am watching The Tunnel.

@Lmangla I have watched that Indian movie! The house in it is beautiful!

Omg!! You watch tunnel!! :D Have you watched the latest episode? I'm bummed that there was no preview. From what I've heard ep 13 will not be airing this weekend. Is that true?

@packmule3The only austen movie I've watched is Pride and Prejudice. Michael Mcfaydden is pretty charming hehe..I've never watched the BBC version though I've seen clips of colin firth drenched in his was it undershirt? or something like that and so many girls were going gaga over it but I was confused as to why haha..Maybe its because the movies in my language especially in the 60s show guys shirtless quite often (the weather here is quite humid so its understandable haha) so seeing shirtless guys in shows is nothing really shocking to me. :D Though I should say that most of them usually don't have good builds to gaze at. :/

About tunnel yes it does have time travel as an element (not sure about back and forth). It's mainly a crime mystery drama where they're trying to solve the case of a series of murder in 1986. The protagonist a cop in charge of the case while in pursuit of the murderer of said case(they were in some tunnel) is accudentally transported 30 years into the future. The mystery element of the story is actually not too complex they actually reveal the murderer's identity pretty early on. But I think the villains of the story are pretty interesting characters and I like how there is some humour in the story especially with the protagonist's confusion with technology. XD

(The) Last samurai -- awesome OST. think I love and remember the movie just for the music. 

@staygold ~ yea, it was a grand old house, wasn't it?

@packmule3 ~ maybe I was corrupted by watching our mutual friend as well. hahahah.. but yea, found him very greasy.. so here's the kandukondain version where she pursues him. definitely less greasy! kekekke

Spoiler

the context: (the scene before)

and her making a move... very different colonel brandon

@fikachuuu ~ LOL that you found the whole colin firth scenes perplexing! kekekke.. guess we folks in warm weather are used to seeing men in their undershirt? hahahahha... didn't think of the colin firth hoopla as a cold weather syndrome! :lol::lol: but I liked the movie version better.

I saw the devil

I love psychological thrillers! This one is beautiful. I had to stop it midway cos I couldn't handle it. But I completed it!

I think they should have cast someone other than Tom Cruise in the last samurai. He just didnt fit in.

1 hour ago, fikachuuu said:

Omg!! You watch tunnel!! :D Have you watched the latest episode? I'm bummed that there was no preview. From what I've heard ep 13 will not be airing this weekend. Is that true?

Yes, no episodes this week! :huh: 

So the time travelling in this drama is not under his control. He gets transported to future and back as he is chasing/fighting the killer and hurts his head. Add to to this that the case files from his time have been destroyed in fire. So he is the only link to catch the killer. Like Fikachuuu said the killer has been revealed mid way thru the series but his motivation hasn't yet been explained. The heroine is a criminal psychology professor and is very creepy. The other hero, a detective is a closed up but smart guy. The contrast between the detective from the past who is always cheerful and upbeat and the pair in the future is striking. Very neatly done thriller with constant dose of humor.

@Lmangla Absolutely! That house is a famous heritage house from the Karaikudi region in South India. 

Love in the Afternoon

Image result for love in the afternoon gif

Hahaha. I’m laughing at the different cultural perspectives. Yes, @fikachuuu, @Lmangla, the whole wet shirt was a big thing. My friend and my secretary, who are card-carrying, purist Austenites, were outraged that the director had Mr. Darcy in a wet shirt. But the other ladies I know were titillated (yes that’s the right word, titillated) by that scene. 

My grandmother admonished me never to sit on a chair recently vacated by a man. I never understood that until I read an Edith Wharton book (Was it Age of Innocence? Brain-freeze again. I can’t remember now). 

Do you know why? :D

It’s because there is HEAT emanating from the chair, and the source of the heat is a man’s bu.t.t. dead-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862498

It’s the same thing as wearing gloves because you don’t want to touch a man’s skin directly and feel his heat. Perspiring bodies and heated bodies  -- like naked chests -- are no-no’s during my grandmother's time. 

Hey @staygold, BEFORE you post, look at your points. You currently have 8,888 points with 808. posts. Neat. 

Spoiler

staygold%20points_zpszgeftf6q.jpg

53 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

@fikachuuu ~ LOL that you found the whole colin firth scenes perplexing! kekekke.. guess we folks in warm weather are used to seeing men in their undershirt? hahahahha... didn't think of the colin firth hoopla as a cold weather syndrome! :lol::lol: but I liked the movie version better

Limitless

Edit: Nancy drew (Was looking for a movie starting with the letter "N" and google kept listing those with "naked" in their titles. Hahaha :rolleyes:

Haha I loved the movie version too! My favourite scene was when Mr.Darcy touched Elizabeth's hand while helping her into the carriage. The look they shared when that happened was like sparks flew within that touch or something..

And about the shirtless guys in movies in the 60s this one is an example lol: 

There were alot of singing in movies at the time not so much now. Maybe because they like to follow the musical format? Bollywood still includes alot of singing (and mass dancing) in their movies..haha

(The) Wedding Singer

My favorite song here: 

18 minutes ago, fikachuuu said:

Limitless

Edit: Nancy drew (Was looking for a movie starting with the letter "N" and google kept listing those with "naked" in their titles. Hahaha :rolleyes:

Of course, that's your story and you're sticking with it. :D

Image result for gif tea frog

Ringu

I had trouble sleeping after watching this one.

Edit - (The) Rush Hour

I prefer the BBC series over the film. Colin Firth is Darcy! He swims with his shirt on :blink: But it is funny cos until now even the audience's opinion of Darcy was like Lizzy's. This one scene showed him that he had another side to him. He could do things he really wanted to without thinking about etiquette and rules.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - old but still watchable!

@packmule3 ~ heheheh... so yea, some did get excited over the shirtless scene. remember a friend recommending I check out the version just because of it and when I watched it, I was honestly puzzled. he was fully clothed and it is not like he is going to get fined for indecent exposure. kekekke.. but put it down to my lack of romanticism. thanks to @fikachuuu, can now peg the hoopla to cold weather syndrome. :lol:

28 minutes ago, fikachuuu said:

There were alot of singing in movies at the time not so much now. Maybe because they like to follow the musical format? Bollywood still includes alot of singing (and mass dancing) in their movies..haha

there is actually a reason for the singing. so if you look at classical theatre form in asia, (the ones that have hundreds of years of literature etc behind them), there is dancing (which they had to train for years), singers singing in the background, a full orchestra and all this exaggerated acting. so when talking pictures came in, those very same stage folks migrated to cinema and they brought in all those traditions. so the first movies of those eras were simply cinematic versions of stage productions and used to be mostly re-interpretations of classic literature. bollywood continues with the singing and it is fun! (well sometimes the songs are bad and then you have the handy forward button on the remote. :D )

EDIT: @staygold already posted. so it is "UP"

King Arthur

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

My grandmother admonished me never to sit on a chair recently vacated by a man. I never understood that until I read an Edith Wharton book (Was it Age of Innocence? Brain-freeze again. I can’t remember now). 

Do you know why? :D

It’s because there is HEAT emanating from the chair, and the source of the heat is a man’s bu.t.t. dead-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862498

Ok now that you have mentioned this I will never again be able to sit in a seat that has been recently sat in by a man without being overly conscious..0.o

28 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

@packmule3 ~ heheheh... so yea, some did get excited over the shirtless scene. remember a friend recommending I check out the version just because of it and when I watched it, I was honestly puzzled. he was fully clothed and it is not like he is going to get fined for indecent exposure. kekekke.. but put it down to my lack of romanticism. thanks to @fikachuuu, can now peg the hoopla to cold weather syndrome. :lol:

I just had a talk with my dad about why guys are always shirtless in the movies in the 60s (I know what a question to ask right?haha) and apparently there's a sadder reason to it. Apparently during that time japanese occupation had just ended and so many people were too poor back then to afford shirts. They would rather save their shirts for special occasions or for job interviews...But then there are still some shirtless men in the movies/telemovies now so I guess blaming it on cold weather syndrome would be more relevant today. :sweatingbullets:

28 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

there is actually a reason for the singing. so if you look at classical theatre form in asia, (the ones that have hundreds of years of literature etc behind them), there is dancing (which they had to train for years), singers singing in the background, a full orchestra and all this exaggerated acting. so when talking pictures came in, those very same stage folks migrated to cinema and they brought in all those traditions. so the first movies of those eras were simply cinematic versions of stage productions and used to be mostly re-interpretations of classic literature. bollywood continues with the singing and it is fun! (well sometimes the songs are bad and then you have the handy forward button on the remote. :D )

Oh..thanks for the explanation. Yeah singing and dancing in bollywood movies seem to be alot of fun sometimes. My sister memorised some of the dances like Maa hi ve from Kal ho naa ho haha. I heard that if you were to visit an indian cinema showing bollywood movie late at night you will experience audience singing and dancing along to the songs in the movie (not sure how true this is but it seems fun like attending a concert). But like you said sometimes the songs can be bad or overly lengthy I sometimes get frustrated (if its airing on tv I can't fast forward :() especially when you're anxious to know what's going to happen next in the storyline. Kind of like how one waits for a lengthy commercial break to end.haha..

Run Lola Run

16 minutes ago, fikachuuu said:

But like you said sometimes the songs can be bad or overly lengthy I sometimes get frustrated (if its airing on tv I can't fast forward :() especially when you're anxious to know what's going to happen next in the storyline. Kind of like how one waits for a lengthy commercial break to end.haha..

Would you believe that the songs and dances in a movie make or break it at the box office?!:tongue: 

16 minutes ago, fikachuuu said:

It’s because there is HEAT emanating from the chair, and the source of the heat is a man’s bu.t.t.

I recently got educated by my kid about 'Ghost Cheeks'!! Where you sit on a toilet seat and can still feel the warmth where the previous occupant was sitting. :crazy:

Noah - such a disappointment.... -_-

1 hour ago, fikachuuu said:

I just had a talk with my dad about why guys are always shirtless in the movies in the 60s (I know what a question to ask right?haha)

kekekek... so I can imagine your dad wondering why his kid is asking such a random question... hahahhah.. but thanks for sharing the historical context. I just figured that it was summer and they are hot in that video you posted. hahahahha... so yea, knowing the history gives you some understanding to some of the cinematic styles in asia. even stuff like wuxia and all those ghost movies with long haired people all have some historical/literature background/context.. then it becomes rather neat that even with globalization, some of these styles have managed to continue and evolve.

2 hours ago, fikachuuu said:

Haha I loved the movie version too! My favourite scene was when Mr.Darcy touched Elizabeth's hand while helping her into the carriage. The look they shared when that happened was like sparks flew within that touch or something..

forgot about this but yea, it was rather cool.. this movie was really neat because it actually showed the chemistry between the two of them. you believe that these two people are attracted to each other even if they don't want to be. in the book, I was partially wondering if elizabeth simply fell in love with him because she saw that he was rich. :D hahahaha... but the scene like this one showed they had chemistry and elizabeth didn't seem to want it. I like the look of shock on her face and his just walking away like he wasn't affected at all and then we see a closeup of his hands and we see him clenching..... but the proposal scene was totally swoon worthy because of that almost kiss. here they are arguing like crazy and for a moment, they completely forget what they are saying and instead almost kiss. embarrassed4-onion-head-emoticon.gif?129

Archived