Movies: FIRST and LAST

CamelKnight

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gandhi

I think there should also be a movie made about his wife, Kasturba Ghandi. :wink:

just trivia: India and three other countries celebrate their Independence Day on August 15. 

Leichtenstein, since 1940

India, since 1947

South Korea, since 1948

Republic of Congo, since 1960

56 minutes ago, phikyl said:

Kiss Me, Kill Me

:D  I thought you wrote Kill Me, Heal Me.  

(The) Emperor's Club

A movie I made my sons watch.  In the movie, there's a plaque on the wall that's traditionally read aloud by a new student. It says: I am Shutruk Nahunte, King of Anšan and Susa, Sovereign of the land of Elam. By command of Inshushinak I destroyed Sippar, Took the Stele of Niran-Sin, and brought it back to Elam, where I erected it as an offering to my god.  (source: Wiki)

But the thing is nobody knows now who this Shutruk is. As far as the whole world is concerned, he might have been a great warrior and conqueror during his time, but his name (and fame) didn't last forever. In the end, his contribution to society was naught.  

Spoiler about the movie: 

Spoiler

The irony here is the teacher’s most ambitious (and one of the smartest) student never understood this important lesson. As a young rebellious student, he entered the school with a chip on his shoulder: he had a love-hate relationshp with father, a famous Senator (tsk. tsk. Senators are always bad in movies.) This student cheated to win a contest but no one knew except for the teacher and the student. The teacher was disappointed because he had believed in him. 

Years later, the class organized a rematch of the contest and this student (now a Senator, surprise!) cheated again. He failed to win again because he couldn't remember the plaque of Shutruk Nahunte.

Afterwards, the Senator defiantly told his former teacher that he would do anything, even by unethical means, to be great. I believe (or it's my wishful thinking) it dawned on the teacher that this ex-student was bound to become another emperor like Shutruk Nahunte. Full of ambition for greatest and conquest, but achieving and contributing nothing lasting in the end.

Hence, the title. A club of emperors like Shutruk Nahunte

Ender's Game

I'm totally not lurking on this thread right now.... :ph34r:

Edit: My movie name follows the trend I swear! Missing an 'e' at the end :lol: 

4 hours ago, phikyl said:

Ender's Game

I'm totally not lurking on this thread right now.... :ph34r:

Edit: My movie name follows the trend I swear! Missing an 'e' at the end :lol: 

Is the movie good? My sons love that book when they were little. I wanted to go watch it with them when it came out,  but they went with their GFs instead. :D 

4 hours ago, CamelKnight said:

Battle Royal

Redone with The Hunger Games, Battle Royale was truly awesome. The Hunger Games is just a soft rip off if you ask me, though it does have more character story (and it moves on after the Games).

Believe it or not, I'm out of the loop when it comes to the Hunger Games series.  I don't even know what it's all about. I've been told that it's some reality show game of the future. 

Has this been mentioned? 

EVER AFTER

Image result for ever after gif

And I love this scene:

Image result for ever after gif

7 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Is the movie good? My sons love that book when they were little. I wanted to go watch it with them when it came out,  but they went with their GFs instead.

I liked it tbh. They changed a bit from the book [of course. Movie so it has to be shortened] but they kept enough of the story the same that it works well. The book [series] is still better of course. :tongue: 

Revenge of the Nerds! [I think my movie taste makes me seem older than I am....]

Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of Fleet Street

Loved it!

9 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Believe it or not, I'm out of the loop when it comes to the Hunger Games series.  I don't even know what it's all about. I've been told that it's some reality show game of the future. 

Futuristic, post apocalyptic world where, to keep people from revolting, the Hunger Games have been invented. Society is split up in several sections where one provides food, one provides coal, etc. The Hunger Games is to give the survivor of the Games a chance to live life in luxury, or be killed.

The story is about how one girl and guy end up overthrowing the government/society and have the people revolt. The way they've created the Games is pretty cool.

Enigma

On April 24, 2017 at 6:24 AM, CamelKnight said:

Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of Fleet Street

Loved it!

Futuristic, post apocalyptic world where, to keep people from revolting, the Hunger Games have been invented. Society is split up in several sections where one provides food, one provides coal, etc. The Hunger Games is to give the survivor of the Games a chance to live life in luxury, or be killed.

The story is about how one girl and guy end up overthrowing the government/society and have the people revolt. The way they've created the Games is pretty cool.

Sold! 

I'll watch it on Netflix next time. I hope it isn't all blood and gory. Maybe I should read the book too so I can have something to use as a yardstick. 

Thanks! 

Archived