Movies: FIRST and LAST

CamelKnight

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(The) Net

Can't remember what this movie was about but I think it was about identity theft. Given that this is a 90s movie the technology they use does seem outdated now. I mean the protagonist steals important information in a floppy disk.

Young Sherlock Holmes 

(I prefer the tv series) 

3 hours ago, CamelKnight said:

Silence of the lambs

@phikyl I actually meant the :D because of Hellboy being mentioned a page earlier, not to make it more difficult on you :tongue: 

Honest!

Hahaha. Did I prick your conscience?

Hellboy only looks demonic on the outside but he's a marshmallow in the inside. 

@phikyl, you mentioned Sense and Sensibility a few pages back. I watched two versions.  The first one was the movie with Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant (as Ferrars)  and Alan Rickman (Colonel Brandon). I didn't like the Emma Thompson-Hugh Grant pairing. I thought she looked like his spinster aunt. As for Alan Rickman, I loved his voice so I just closed my eyes whenever he came a-courting. (Or as my mother would say, "Lie back and think of England".) Lol. See my bias? 

The second version was a BBC production. The guy who played Ferrars is Dan Stevens, the actor who plays the Beast in this year's Beauty and the Beast. I think the BBC production is "sexier" than the movie production. (Hahaha. If you can imagine Jane Austen sexed up.... ) It has something to do with the way David Morrisey portrayed Colonel Brandon. To me, it was MORE apparent that he was fascinated with (and lusting for) the young Marianne. Alan Rickman showed restrained but there was something "greasy" about David Morrisey's Colonel Brandon. 

I don't know. If ever you get to watch the two versions, do tell me what you think.

Heidi

with Shirley Temple

2 hours ago, staygold said:

Snatch (2001)

A movie I can watch only with subtitles but I love the madness of it. 

@USAFarmgirl I loved that movie and was surprised it was directed by Ang Lee!

@packmule3 Dan Stevens in a 'sexier' version of the film? I need to find this!

@phikyl @fikachuuu hello-smiley.gif?1292867615

??!!!

Kkamjjagiya!! 

What are you doing here??! Were you looking for me? Did you check my profile page again??!!! 

remember we're still talking about Jane Austen here, okay? So "sexy" is relative. 

For instance, there's this scene where Dan Stevens is coatless, and just in his white shirt. He is chopping wood, and of course all sweaty.  In normal times -- our times -- this is nothing sexy. But in that time -- Jane Austen's time -- this would have been a shocking scene for an innocent maiden. A sweating man? A sweating man who's short of breath? Or to be more precise: A sweating man who's out of breath from using his muscles to chop ... no ...  to cleave wood? Get it? 

Then, there this scene where Marianne goes to Colonel Brandon's house to borrow books. (By herself! Without a maid! Lol). She enters his library and sees a pianoforte and starts to play. Then, the camera shifts to Colonel Brandon playing with his bird (hahaha. Pun intended). He releases a falcon into the air and it glides over the valley, like a hunting bird searching for its prey, then it lands back on Colonel Brandon's arm. Colonel Brandin looks at Marianne, who's standing wide-eyed and innocent beside him, and he beckons, "Come." (He wants her to touch his bird. ??!!) Then, the camera goes back to Marianne at the piano finishing her piece. That whole falconry scene happens in her reverie. Meaning, she's only thinking about it while she's playing a dreamy piece. Lol. 

Again, in our world, this is no big deal. Man + bird + innocent gal. But, to me, in the imagery here is simple: he's a much older man and she's beguiled by his ... uhh... his imposing presence. 

Anyway, I'm glad you surprised me here. :) What are you watching now? 

Archived