Movies: FIRST and LAST

CamelKnight

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

the first anime movie I watched and absolutely loved. classic!

"definitely maybe" - awful movie.

I haven't seen it but it's definitely in my watchlist of  ghibli movies to watch. My first ever and all time favourite anime ghibli movie is without a doubt Princess Mononoke. The character Ashitaka was my first anime character crush lol.

Naked Lunch

Never seen this movie but have watched some clips of it out of curiousity and was heavily traumatised (not to mention grossed out) by what I saw..0.o..

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spy Kids 2

1 hour ago, fikachuuu said:

I haven't seen it but it's definitely in my watchlist of  ghibli movies to watch. My first ever and all time favourite anime ghibli movie is without a doubt Princess Mononoke. The character Ashitaka was my first anime character crush lol.

it is a great movie to watch. the animation is a little dated but it still has that fluid ghibli touch. I enjoyed princess mononoke when it was the subtitled version. kekeke.. I remember watching the dubbed version and it was horrendous. it had fancy actors who had butchered the story with their voice. so I had to purge the memory and find a subtitled version where the voice actors actually matched the story and characters. have you seen escaflowne? it was one of the first series I watched and absolutely fell in love with. the movie was stupid but the series - that was so cool!

27 Dresses

An "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" cliched plot. Skip this. 

3 hours ago, phikyl said:

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

I like the lead actor's Texas drawl. :wink:

4 hours ago, fikachuuu said:

Naked Lunch

Never seen this movie but have watched some clips of it out of curiousity and was heavily traumatised (not to mention grossed out) by what I saw..0.o..

Hahaha. I hope "naked" here meant eating a sandwich without the "bun" of bread. It didn't mean eating while displaying your buns of steel, did it? 

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

Spy Kids 2

it is a great movie to watch. the animation is a little dated but it still has that fluid ghibli touch. I enjoyed princess mononoke when it was the subtitled version. kekeke.. I remember watching the dubbed version and it was horrendous. it had fancy actors who had butchered the story with their voice. so I had to purge the memory and find a subtitled version where the voice actors actually matched the story and characters. have you seen escaflowne? it was one of the first series I watched and absolutely fell in love with. the movie was stupid but the series - that was so cool!

Scream

I've only watched princess mononoke in the original japanese dub with eng sub so I have never heard of the eng dub. Is it that bad? I tend to stray from watching anime in eng dub because it tends to feel off. I'm pretty sure there are some well done eng dub out there (like poke'mon? Haha) but most of the time it doesn't quite do it for me..Idk maybe it sounds more cartoonish or smt. Lol. I think I prefer films/animation in their original language rather than dubbed over. Not just for japanese animation but for western cartoons as well. Like it doesn't feel the same when spongebob squarepants (especially plankton) got dubbed over in japanese.

Nope I think I might have watched escaflowne movie when i was a kid but was too young to understand or enjoy it but never watch the series before. Might want to check up on it one of these days since I like fantasy anime. :D Btw have you watch twelve kingdoms before? It's an early 2000s fantasy anime series that has alot of terminologies to learn in order to understand the inner workings of the world within the story but it's a really good underrated series imo. I remember enjoying how one of the main protagonists,(the story has 3 main arcs with several protagonists) Nakajima Yoko developed from a whiny character to a strong female lead.

3 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Hahaha. I hope "naked" here meant eating a sandwich without the "bun" of bread. It didn't mean eating while displaying your buns of steel, did it? 

Lol nope unfortunately it doesn't have that kind of meaning..(I'd rather see that than what yiu get in this movie..)..Maybe they put the word 'lunch' in the title to warn people from having lunch before watching the movie...From the clips I saw it seems like it involved alot of bug-like creatures..(especially the mugwump typewriter or whatever it's called)..0.o..which is why I got grossed out..>_<..I saw some comments regarding the movie saying they loved it and it has some meaning behind it or whatever but I think I'd rather give this one a pass considering I have a weak stomach to these kinds of things..>_<

mrs. doubtfire

12 kingdoms @fikachuuu? so I looked it up and I vaguely remember watching. so I used to watch lots of anime when I was younger and then later lost interest. so most of the stuff I have seen were from years earlier... one of my silly favourites was inuyasha. hahahah... it just used to make me and my cousin sister laugh. maybe we were really stressed and weren't looking for something too serious? :lol:

(The) Empire Strikes Back

225e3b7e7384f7b82c7cfcd76d99a8bee2d3c061

What do you think? If the whole Star Wars trilogy was shown today, would there be a colossal fandom fight between Hans Solo/Leia shippers and Luke Skywalker/Leia shippers here on soompi? And would shipping threads be shut down, too? lol.

(the) King's speech - I loved this one! usually I find all the oscar nominated movies such a bore. it feels like award movies are most likely for arty and boring and not for regular folks who happen to like trucks blowing up, aliens in bizarre aircrafts who always look like aliens.... but this movie was great...

6 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

What do you think? If the whole Star Wars trilogy was shown today, would there be a colossal fandom fight between Hans Solo/Leia shippers and Luke Skywalker/Leia shippers here on soompi? And would shipping threads be shut down, too? lol.

definitely!! hahahah.... all the mods will be shaking their head and thinking "why! why! why! was this stupid movie released and shaking our soompi peace?" :lol:

but more importantly, how come your name shows up in pink? how do you do that?

51 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

(the) King's speech - I loved this one! usually I find all the oscar nominated movies such a bore. it feels like award movies are most likely for arty and boring and not for regular folks who happen to like trucks blowing up, aliens in bizarre aircrafts who always look like aliens.... but this movie was great...

definitely!! hahahah.... all the mods will be shaking their head and thinking "why! why! why! was this stupid movie released and shaking our soompi peace?" :lol:

but more importantly, how come your name shows up in pink? how do you do that?

Henry V (go ahead and use the letter V instead of the number 5) 

My favorite battle speech: The St. Crispin's Day speech of Henry V.  After Sir Laurence Olivier, he's my favorite Shakespearean actor.   

What??!!! 

How did that happen? What? @CamelKnight!!!! What's going on here?  And I noticed that your name @CamelKnight has sparkles. An upgrade? 

But mine might be a fluke, @Lmangla...

Or the admins/mods just had a brilliant idea: "Hmmm... let's see now.  What will annoy packmule3 today? Didn't she say she was lovable and free-spirited??!! Ah!!! Let's color her PINK!"  

<_<

***EDIT: Or it might always have been pink for Suntaek?? I really don't know, lmangla. But if I have a choice NOW for a do-over, I want rainbow colors.

I liked King's Speech, too. The poor man!

Vertical Limit - weirdly enough I watched the full movie dubbed in my language and it was awful! I was forced to endure the movie because it was while travelling on a bus. I was torn between laughter -- the awful dubbing where the actors seemed to be faintly amused (maybe thought it was stupid as well?) -- and irritation. laughter won out. kekekek....

@packmule3 ~ well, you did say you were a free spirit. guess, free spirits like pink? :D

2 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

Vertical Limit - weirdly enough I watched the full movie dubbed in my language and it was awful! I was forced to endure the movie because it was while travelling on a bus. I was torn between laughter -- the awful dubbing where the actors seemed to be faintly amused (maybe thought it was stupid as well?) -- and irritation. laughter won out. kekekek....

@packmule3 ~ well, you did say you were a free spirit. guess, free spirits like pink? :D

To Catch a Thief

With Grace Kelly and Cary Grant. 

On second thought. Maybe my name's always been pink?? Because of Suntaek? I'm sorry. I really don't pay attention to my name. lol.  

(the) Far Pavilions - it was first fat book I read; over 500 pages and I borrowed it from my mom and was super proud of myself that I managed to read so many pages! kekekke... I don't think I was that impressed with the story though. hahahah.. but I was still psyched to watch the tv movie version and discovered for the first time that sometimes, live action sucks. some stuff should just be a book.

@packmule3 ~ am pretty sure that your name wasn't pink before..

Sense and Sensibility [which I haven't actually seen/read.....]

Don't worry @packmule3 @Lmangla, you guys aren't crazy. There's been a revamp on names over the past couple of days. The colors only used to show on the tags/hearts but they changed it yesterday. =]

you got mail

@phikyl ~ jane austen books are funny and I found her books appeal at different times. so when I was younger, I loved pride and prejudice but thought sense & sensibility along with persuasion were such a bore. in fact, me and my cousins literally fell asleep while watching the movie "sense & sensibility". kekekek.. I watched it a few years later and thought it wasn't so bad. but I liked the BBC version of it. and few years later, watched "persuasion" and loved it. even read the book and found it was nowhere as boring as I thought....

so do we all get sparkles on our names? do we get to choose the colours?

Gone With the Wind

@Lmangla The sparkles in the usernames are exclusive to the Soompi administrators and moderators as of the latest forum upgrade. :)

(The) Devil Wears Prada 

Another fine example of Hollywood's self-absorption. It's not like there is a dearth of great women whose biographies can be made into an inspiring movie.... But they chose Ms. Anna Wintour in a chick-lit. :blink:

Archived