Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

Guest gerimisore

@lyonesse I think JH-DS shippers (the netizens specially) are very dominant, be it in Korea or internationally. CMIIW. I only see a few TK-DS supporters in almost every R88 article. The most popular comment is usually about JH too. I think some people are low key shipping TK-DS, but they don't comment much since Taek entered the game late thus some people assume him as a weak contender in the husband hunt. Seeing how popular JH is, that's also my concern. But recalling how much details the PD and the writer put in the story so far, I believe they will stick to the original plan and not changing the husband last minute based on the popularity of the character (assuming the husband is not JH). But if it's JH, then the crew is very successful in bringing massive supporters for their male lead from the get-go.

Added: I assume JH is also famous in Korea based on the comments and posts that were translated to sites like netizenbuzz, kpopkfans, pannchoa, and kkuljaem (yes, i read all of them. lol). I guess RJY is the current trend there. 

@gerimisore, oh i see. And how about R94? Who was more popular? CB or trash oppa? If it was CB, i dont have to worry then hahaha.

I saw ep 14 and cant help but having a broad motherly smile everytime TK's on the screen. how can he be so adorable and endearing? Especially when he called DS on her home. His expression when DS scream to call her sooyeonnie is priceless. And his little jump when being shocked by the door's sound is so funny. I would be forever grateful with reply team for casting PBG. His acting is so natural and on point

• Like 5

Guest gerimisore

@lyonesse I don't watch R94 actually. I'm new to Reply series ^^ haha. But from what I read here and there (again cmiiw), Trash is more popular in Korea, meanwhile Chilbong is more popular among international audience. It's interesting, isn't it? I want to see how the R88 ends this love triangle.

PBG is indeed a gem. I'm glad finding out about him this year. Definitely looking forward to his next project.

About netizenbuzz post, I read before that the translator does not translate  every Korean comment from the Korean article, so he/she may have only picked majority who are for JH..

I hope the production do not extend the drama for another 2 or 4 episodes, just end it at 20 will do.  if they do extend, it will only make the drama draggy. 

Fighting Taektanic! Fighting DeokSun-Taekkie!!

• Like 8

My mum is currently watching the show along with me. Apparently she has the same taste as I do. She likes Taek too. Hahaha. Actuallly I feel like there is a lot who likes Taek in general outside of the online community. It's just that those who likes Junghwan are more outspoken about it especially on the internet. So don't worry about Taek not getting love as much as Junghwan based on comments on the internet because he is definitely getting plenty of love outside of it. And just look at the number of articles that recently came out of celebrities showing interest in Taek or PBG. I asked most of my friends and I got to know most of them prefer Taek and his character development. One of my friends also mentioned that it would make more sense for Taek to be the husband simply because there is an obvious development between Taek and Deoksun's friendship/relationship which makes it seem like it's going to be the slow burn type of romance. So yeah just sharing the thoughts of people around me who are also watching the show but are inactive in the online community. ;)

• Like 12

@lyonessenetizenbuzz does not the whole of Korea make. The site owner selects the few she feels appeals more to the audience and gets talked about more. Its just that JH shippers are very open but TK are behind closed doors".

I asked a friend of mine who is in Korea and asked the same thing,she laughed and said, "Just because they(TK lovers)are not visible doesnt mean they are not there/many. They are mostly silent"

• Like 8

@gerimisore.  I don't know what's going on other threads and I don't have enough time to spare so I will speak to you Chingu. I'm the one who criticized JH's arc pages back and I'm aware my words would rather harsh for JH supporters that's why I seldom posting comment on main thread. I assure you my complaint was toward writers since I also LOVE to see  kind and considerate gestures comes from JH be it his mother, DS or Taek. That being said, everyone aware something going wrong in his side and I named it. Since I'm a girl I'ld prefer to see things on DS POV and at the time being this situation is so very unfair to her. Maybe I would be more understanding if same exact things had not happened before with SW which brought me to question writers intention. Someone need to say it, even just to appreciate  JH's development once that happens. So I regret nothing.  I think it's wrong of them to generalize others based on minority. I'm much careless about their feelings here so if you want to say something to them you can use my name or words to point out your disagreement ^^ I will not generalize JH/DS shippers  either with this statement since I'm amazed to have them here so  I hope you don't mind me Chingudeul but just some of JH shippers like this

Spoiler

THzJL7lcC6VwSd4Ph7lI2ooUyGiYlrC_NsOjjcmV

• Like 11

8 hours ago, gerimisore said:

Hi guys!

I want to share my opinion on the latest 'riot' regarding some shippers' accusation of writer's favoritism, 'main otp', bla bla bla. I feel like saying something (although I warn you it's pretty much rubbish) since I actually like going back and forth from JH-DS thread to here. I like reading other shippers' opinions and try to understand their point of view even though some of them kinda hurt me (lol. I guess I'm a masochist). So, here it is!

A few days ago I found out that some of them occasionally visited our thread (mostly to find any cute fanarts or latest translation or news since most of us don't post that much in the main thread) and they left feeling pretty p**sed off after reading some of our posts concerning JH characterization. They don't like it when some of us call them 'scary' or 'aggressive' and they also strongly disagree on the mention that JH is underdeveloped character. I actually wanted to apologize if some of our posts sounded pretty offensive but I realized I was alone there and they could pretty much eaten me alive so I just stay quiet. And I felt a little bit sad because some of them warn the others to never visit this thread again since we like to 'bash' JH (when, they said, they actually never bring down Taek) which is seriously not the case. Here, I've seen many many posts that point out how wonderful JH character is. Perhaps there are some posts that sounded a little bit harsh, but that's not our intention (isn't it?) to down-grade or bash JH as a character. We adore him as much as the others. He is a good boy, a good son, a good brother, and a good friend. It's just that, IMO, his characterization surrounding DS and the love line is quite on the landslide recently. Other than that, he is also a complex and layered character (I, personally, do not believe that Taek is the only layered character in the drama, since that's what they assume of us). Either ship can get pretty delulu depends on where you see it. We like to notice and analyze the little clues, they like to see the bigger picture. There is no right or wrong in this stage. We, both, don't know the end of the story.

Funnily, I can understand some of their frustration. Unlike us, who are used to see less Taek in the main frame, they are too used to watch a lot of JH-centric scenes since the early episodes. I think It's understandable if they feel quite sad or wanting more of him. Although it doesn't justified how some of them called the other couple 'boring' and 'stupid' just because they want to see more of their own otp. But, again, by having a massive number of followers, gaining a few bad apples is inevitable. The problem is, from what I read, they left almost zero doubt on who will be the husband. It's Junghwan. 99%. It MUST BE him. And really it's not helping either that as a charming tsundere that he is, a golden formula of a drama male lead, JH also got a head-start (thus explain why this ship seems so big in terms of a number of boarders. He attracts a lot of shippers from the beginning). I think it's dangerous to believe your assumption is almost 100% true when none of us here know what will happen. Although, in this case, I can understand them. I think it's safe to say that most watchers actually thought JH is the endgame based on the early episodes. I, myself, believed JH is the husband before Taek enters the game (which is funny since I usually root for the first male that comes to the screen and having many cheesy interactions with the female lead), But, as many of you here, I also don't feel any special attachment to JH-DS love line. Their scenes are sweet and cute, indeed, but Taek-DS scenes are a little more deep, heartfelt, and touching for me. Well, different person, different opinion.

What I'm trying to say is it's good to have faith and confidence in your own ship, but no matter how popular the character is or no matter how many supporters that your OTP has, we are not the writer. We don't write the story. We don't know the ending.

I think what makes the Taektanic ship a little bit more bearable is because we have that 'crisis' moment when we thought Taek is indeed the 2nd lead. We don't hope much. We still hold on to that thin string of hope, of wanting the writer to do not recycle the same trope over and over again, but then we also realized it probably never happened (since the same trope brings them success from the previous installments). We are grateful to see when Taek got more scenes, and a little bit happier if  he had cute scenes with DS. I'm actually thankful that we're being fed with the small spoon by the PD and the writer from the beginning. It helps us, or me specifically, to remember to do not fly too high.

And, I agree, there is no 'main otp' in this drama. Just because the drama is centered more on DS's life, doesn't mean JH-DS or TK-DS is the 'main otp'. As someone said here, the 'main otp' can changed based on who watch it. And also to assume that the writer prioritizes on a certain character just because she reduces the screen time of another is ridiculous. Every single character is important. What differs R88 from the other dramas is because it delves not only on the main character's life (which I assume is DS), but also touches the story of others. It's impossible to give equal amount of screen time to all characters in one episode, thus some reduction is unavoidable. Who doesn't want to watch more scenes of our favorite character 'tho? None. But what can we do as an audience. Swallowing the bitter pill is hard, but one needs to learn how to take it sooner or later. We can't always get what we want.

And again and again I can't emphasize enough on how much I love this thread. By reading your wonderful insights, lovely ladies, I feel like learning about love and life in general rather than finding clues on who will be the husband. Let's support, ship, complain, discuss things in a civil manner and with an open mind. Because anything, literally ANYTHING, can happen in the next 6 episodes.

And also I just learned that our ship is actually a submarine, so no matter who the husband is, or even if there is a gigantic iceberg waiting in front of us, no need to worry my fellow shipmates, we can still party hard with Taek! He can also buy us loads of ddukbokki! Yeeaaay! So, sail on! ~(^0^)~

I personally kind of find it exciting that everyone is so worked up. I've never been part of a ship-war before, so this is pretty fun for me!

I have to admit it bothers me slightly when I read posts that imply that JH is obviously the husband, so anyone's who is rooting for Taek are blind or dumb. So case closed! Personally, I think they are underestimating Taek a lot!

Has anyone watched "Misaeng?" The main character is a former baduk-player who ends up joining the corporate world. Even though he didn't go to college, his baduk-training gives him some special skills: he's very observant, he has an analytical mind, and he's able to think outside the box. This helps him advance in his career. And even though everyone looked down on him at first, he ends up earning everyone's respect.

So Taek is kind of presented as a socially stunted baby - he can't even button his own shirt, or even use chopsticks. (Honestly, that one is kind of unbelievable - what has he been eating for the last 18 years?) Anyway, I'm just thinking that the writers made him a baduk-player for a reason - he has hidden depths that we have not yet seen.

And I know a lot of viewers complained that we're not getting enough love-triangle action. But again, I think showing how compassionate and cool DS was towards her classmate with epilepsy was very purposeful, not just filler. It's meant to show us that DS has empathy on another level than other people. So I think they're developing an emotional connection between her and Taek.

I also want to point out something, just in case not everyone caught this - it was significant that DS borrowed a spoon from her epileptic friend. There were people who used to believe that epilepsy was contagious, so they would never share food or a spoon with an epileptic person. So that was just one more way that DS was helping her feel included and comfortable.

What my point is, in case I wasn't clear - I'm not saying DS will become a mother-figure to Taek, but that he observes and appreciates her kindness in a way that other people might not. For example, I think Taek's father already likes and trusts DS for the same reasons.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, mangachickava said:

has anyone found the translation of the last scene between Ds and Tk?

As requested, here's the translation... XD

[Starts where DS is looking at Taek's fan mail]

[Letter with hearts all over says: My beloved Choi Taek-nim please read this]

DS: Do you ever reply any of them?

*TK shakes his head*

DS: It must be good to be you. Other than baduk, you don't have any interest in anything else.

DS: You've never liked anyone before right? Other than baduk, you're not interested in anything else, right?

TK: No, I have.

DS: You have? Stop lying. Don't you know who you are lying to right now?

DS: I've got you in the palm of my hands. There's nothing about you that I don't know. 

TK: You know nothing about me at all. 

TK: I have someone that I like. And I'm planning to confess... Soon. 

• Like 18

5 hours ago, dramaluv3r101 said:

although it's unclear who the husband is, you can't deny how comfortable hyeri and bo gum are w/ each other bts. reel to real (friendship) is enough for me please!!

credit: wann tass

ohmyghad I love this video!! thanks for sharing.. no matter what or who she ends up with in the drama.. I want Hyeri and bogum in real life :-) :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: although I know that bogum and Irene has a strong following

• Like 7

Guest gerimisore

@onlysb1 haha, it's fine ^^ actually, after reading their reaction i was kinda confused since, as much as I remember, a lot of us actually spoke fondly of Junghwan. Of course there are some harsh comments here (and I'm not pointing at you. Really. I don't even remember mean comments here. I'm just stating that there's always a possibility that some comments appear harsher compared to the other. Well. we're not saints and we can't please everyone), it's just kinda saddening (to me) that the harsh-sounding comments are the one that they see when there are a lot of time when we discuss how lovely Junghwan is. And I'm not going to bring your name either to voice out my disagreement ^^ haha. I'm not good in argument and on top of that I'm afraid my bad English will just bring more problems, as in, I'm afraid I'll say something ambiguous and offend them. And, yes, I'm not generalizing the entire ship too. I only saw some posts that pointed out disappointments to our thread, I believe there are more of them who are nice. And also I think the reason why they appear 'aggressive' or 'dominating' is because they have a lot of online members. Other than that, they're actually pretty chill in their thread and having fun with their ship too just like us ^^

@chickfactor as a K-pop fan for years, I've been in the middle of any kind of fanwars now. Lol XD This one is still pretty civil, 'though I find your excitement cute ^^ And, yes, Taek also reminds me of Jang Geurae so much. It's like they have this slow-but-sure kind of technique in approaching their goal. They tend to be underestimated, but their earnest attitude is the thing that will win everyone over in the end.

Also, my gut tells me that Taek's father already knew his son's crush for sometime. Hence his little efforts of always bringing them together. And knowing that he supports his son's feeling, it means he also likes and trusts DS.

24 minutes ago, kilaalaa said:

As requested, here's the translation... XD

[Starts where DS is looking at Taek's fan mail]

[Letter with hearts all over says: My beloved Choi Taek-nim please read this]

DS: Do you ever reply any of them?

*TK shakes his head*

DS: It must be good to be you. Other than baduk, you don't have any interest in anything else.

DS: You've never liked anyone before right? Other than baduk, you're not interested in anything else, right?

TK: No, I have.

DS: You have? Stop lying. Don't you know who you are lying to right now?

DS: I've got you in the palm of my hands. There's nothing about you that I don't know. 

TK: You know nothing about me at all. 

TK: I have someone that I like. And I'm planning to confess... Soon. 

Thank you Chingu! I cannot help but SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE! as I read this.

For someone who speaks so little and appears so introverted, Taekie sure has a way with words. He's been one to consistently speak his mind and heart without any sense of fear, and with the readiness to take the responsibility for what he says. Cheeeeeers to our brave Taekie!

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, anishaym said:

i love that DS keep telling everyone even Taek that she'd know everything about Taek

:wub:

And turns out she knows so little about him. Maybe she thought she finally knew everything after their trip to China but she was wrong hehe now its time for her to see TK for the man he is. Get to know the real him, unravel all of his sides and hopefully fall for him :")

• Like 7

yeah they show DS taking care of the girl not as filler but for viewer to see DS as a person more clearly and somehow maybe to connect the dot to see why she is able to take care Taek since they are kid until now better than anyone else and even Taek dad trust her more than anyone else to take care of his precious son...

for me from Taek 0% and JH 100% to currently Taek 50% and JH 50% is major change in my part..

it 50-50 because the writer seem to divided the future husband&leading girl common trait from prev series into both guys 

which JH get the part of bickering partner with the girl and being tsundere also with all he focus on him since beginning which the reason he is strong candidate almost 100% though his interest to DS only start when they teenager before that he is just one of the friend 

meanwhile Taek getting the part of get taken care of the girl since childhood with their special bond almost look like sibling from outsider pov(which similar to prev 2 couple history growing up like sibling and slowly developing into romantic partner which not easy) and even with slow start he getting strong character development plus all those moment happening with him and DS and somehow having many connection with most other character like keeping secret for BR&SW,his special connection with DR,might become family with SW and somehow the  character that everyone need to mention in every ep so that one of reason idt he just another 2nd lead..

but like DR say it DS heart that matter who she like so even if now she think she like JH or it could be love and she does make effort to spend time with him,have date and never give up even he giving no good reason for giving her cold shoulder after showing interest in her..

and for Taek she always have special spot for Taek since their first meeting and the story seem to start the moment he and dad move into the neighborhood...and he still one of her priority even during her major crushing/1st love moment with SW/JH but she will always give her time to Taek even going out of country for him,stay at beach with him, spend time at his house,making sure he eat, having very comfortable relationship which i called like an old married couple kind of thing that comfortable relationship while with JH it discovery of love for her to start dress up for him,doing normal girl thing being sweet and acting girly for him the thrill of being in love and pursuing someone and of course it normal even in real life not just drama so yeah both guy have similar chance it just different dynamic and both side shipper like different thing as well.

for me im fine with both dynamic if both is written nicely..

but for now im rooting the comfortable relation between DS&Taek that feel just at home maybe don't need as much effort since the love already available for who know how long probably since the moment he met her it just need the realization from DS and maybe adding Taek pov/flashback how he fall in love if pd ever be generous lol

so now until she herself confirmed who her heart choose i still think both guy have same chance bit of course im on Taek side..

probably im gonna be oh it 99% is Taek by the end and 1% only need to hear the husband name in future lol

but losing or winning i need to remind myself using baduk ettiquete being a polite loser/winner and not rubbing salt in each other faces which the reason shipping war is the cause of losing sanity lol

and i don't think nb or the web portal opinion of netizen is even the majority because this drama attract a lot of older generation who don't spend time online giving opinion and some other who prefer not to make noise and watch in peace 

im sure Taek is getting as much love even it not making the buzz but he sure gain attention as well for his great character and the actor great acting and of course JH deserve the love he get since i think the actor is nice drama dicovery since he is very talented as well and this drama is great platform to skyrocket allthe actors career especially the unknown one before R88..

i see from bts all the cast get along super well so im happy seeing that just like R94 casts still meet each other and stay close friend so hopefully it the same for r88 casts all with remained friend after the drama end

• Like 13

The more we see both TK and DS grow, the more I just feel like they're "endgame." Mostly, I just feel like they're meant to be. It's like what you guys have been talking about previously-- soulmates.

Our ship started off super late in the game and none of us really had hope, but with each passing episode, don't you feel like we have more and more of a chance? A lot of what's done it for me was TK's development as a character, but I sometimes forget DS has been developing right alongside him (thank you, episode 14, for highlighting DS as a character). We see them grow not only together but as individuals. And especially in their scenes together can you pinpoint the difference between their relationship and the others on the show.

I, too, love JH. I adore a good tsundere, and JH's just that to the T. He's had the advantage of being present from the beginning, and he's shown so many sweet sides along the way. However, I feel like I only care for him as a friend, brother and son (he's exceptionally stellar in these roles). His scenes with DS don't take my breath away. Maybe the fault here is in that PBG and HR's chemistry is through the roof, but it just doesn't compare. I love JH, but I still have to stand by what I've been thinking unless he starts to change. I don't think he's a poorly written character like JH-DS shippers think we're saying, but he's just not standing out as a love interest with TK in the picture. Maybe they're going to reinstate his contender status once he makes a move in the remaining episodes. Maybe I'm just looking through an objective lens. You tell me.

Not only do TK-DS scenes feel more natural but there's depth to it. First and foremost, they are friends. Close friends who know the little things about one another. And I think that's what creates a lot of beautiful romantic relationships. TK-DS can actually hold a conversation, and that's what's going to be important in the long run. That's why I'm starting to throw caution to the wind and actually let myself believe TK actually has a fairly great chance at being the husband (as of now--writer-nim can totally destroy this with one scene).

I can't really think of the last time JH-DS have talked aside from bickering. The only thing I can remember in light of the recent episode was when they were talking about JB's date, but I feel like that's on the same level of conversation as me asking a classmate to re-explain a problem to me? Once again, I don't mean to offend any JH-DS shippers by this. This is me posting my opinion on my TK-DS thread.

There were a lot of micro-hints in this episode in TK's favor including his subtle awkwardness with NL and the date handwritten on the photo. Did anyone notice that they played Oh Hyuk's 'A Little Girl' during the scene when TK tells DS he has someone he likes and he'll confess soon? OST used to be against TK, but then they threw this in. There are still things JH has in his favor imo i.e. receiving a pink shirt and scenes that focus on his reaction. And actually I find that the lack of micro-hints can actually be in his favor, too. Are they going for the SURPRISE BUT NOT SURPRISE approach or...?

Can we talk about TK's gift from episode 13 for a second? I want to commend the writer for not only creating such a wonderful character but staying so true to his character at every turn in the story. With the written preview for episode 13 saying that he would be getting DS a gift, I thought of all of the cute, "couple-y" things he'd go off to find in the gift shops without remembering that that's not TK's character at all. In fact, DS knew that TK wouldn't get her anything she'd "want," so she told him to just get her a souvenir from the competition. Cut to TK's gift: a vase. Wtf? *laughs at TK's adorable idiocy* Only for us to realize that he gave her the best freaking thing from the competition: his trophy. I just want to take a delulu moment and imagine this in their 2015 home.

I know a lot of people aren't keen on TK being the romantic interest because DS is a middle child and needs to be with someone who will solely love her and focus on only her, and they want her to be with someone who will take care of her. But I find that DS shines her best when she's caring for others. And I also think that she loves doing so. She's also clearly TK's world. Yeah, he has a career. But so will DS's husband. He's a workaholic but still manages to be coaxed to dinner by DS because what she says is important. What is so wrong with a relationship where a girl takes care of her partner? DS is not a dumb, weak heroine. 

But anyway. I'm curious. Why does this show always fall short of reactions? In the beginning, we were frustrated in the lack of reaction from DS towards all the cute things JH did for her. We kind of just skip over it. Need I mention that we never got the scene where TK gave DS the gloves? (P.S. Why did PBG say that it was a secret where he got those gloves in HR's V app? Because it would be promoting a brand or because we might see this later...?) We don't see DS give JH the pink shirt. And now we don't see DS's reaction to her moments with TK like with JH in the beginning.

DS is both such an open book and mystery at the same time. She's such a normal teenage girl (albeit wonderfully kind and caring. Total girl crush material), but the entire love triangle dwindles on not being able to tell who she has feelings for and to what depths. I think both boys are great, but the bond between TK and her is just so heartwarming that I can't help loving them as a pairing. And now that TK's said that he thinks he'd die without her like GOD TAEK. What's my poor shipper heart supposed to do?!

19 minutes ago, anishaym said:

i love that DS keep telling everyone even Taek that she'd know everything about Taek

:wub:

I also wanted to talk about this point. It was brought up twice in the latest episode. Once during JH's birthday and again when she finds TK's fan mail. She is so sure of herself but this actually seems to be what's holding TK back. According to the preview for episode 15 (oh, you know... the preview that always plays us), TK's dilemma is whether or not DS will believe him if he were to confess to her.

I was so ready to wrap things up in 1989 and get to the time skip that would change everything, but it looks like we'll be hanging out here for a little while longer. We only thought they were going to time-skip because of the fan reports, but I did feel like we weren't quite ready for it. I'm wondering if they're going to make the end of episode 15 or 16 the time skip now. I'm going to cry if it's episode 16 because that's when we have our one-week hiatus aka death. I still remember being antsy over this wait when Reply 1997 was airing. What I'm really excited for though, and this is absolutely may seem superficial but can we bring in the hair gel? New hairstyles for all of the boys pls. *pre swoon*

Okay. That's what I've been holding in. Thanks for reading my 5am thoughts everyone.

• Like 14

22 hours ago, moonkeeper said:

When SW ask Why Taek likes DS..

his answer is simply goes through to any girls heart..his sincerity loving DS is on the highest level ...I've watched R97 and R94... I don't remembered that 2nd lead emphasized much how much they like or love the GIRL..I mean they like the girl but define how much they love or like..it's only the husband thing do..hihihihi (pardon for wishful thingking)

thats why after hearing Taek answer.. I just interpret his answer as" Baduk might be world to Taek but DS is his universe"

hi guys, i've missed this thread so much it's crazy <3 let me share my 2 cents after watching the last 2 episodes raw+ reading the recaps. initially i didn't want to share my thoughts in regard to the last two episodes simply because of my stance as one of those who believe that JH-DS is endgame, but i honestly didn't write this with that endgame in mind at all. this is personally an outpouring of my respect and love for TK as my favorite individual in this drama. let me just say this to get it out of the way: i am in so much fear as to how the writers are going to wrap up Taek's love story. now before we go there, allow me to highlight a few scenes:

1. the trophy vase scene. i love how this scene serves as a comedic one but has so much more meaning to it than that. in this scene we could see that DS didn't realize the significance of TK's gift. in her mind she expected TK to bring a little souvenir from his competition, and to me this means what most of us here have probably agreed on: DS, as of episode 14 is still too focused on 'romance' and the crystal clear proclamation of love from someone, to notice this simple gesture is pretty much as romantic as it gets coming from a baduk player. she looks puzzled when she saw the newspaper's photo, but i don't think that revelation changes the way she thinks of TK. she is still pretty-ing herself up for JH the month after and still thinks that TK is too focused on baduk to even like anyone.

which brings me to my next point:
2. when i first saw DS' wide- eyed expression when she was holding the vase/trophy, i had this hunch that was further strengthened by TK's confession to SW during the sleepover. remember how this vase came from a competition that TK hadn't been able to win before? he's only been the runner up before. but seeing DS before his departure and how she easily nodded when TK asked if he could lose- only for him to win in the end- screams so much significance to me. To TK, baduk is his world. giving DS the trophy means that to TK, DS is as important as that world to him, if not more. this is also why i highlighted moonkeeper's sentence above, because i second your highlighted statement. giving DS the trophy says this, "you're an important part of me, so i'm giving you another important part of me to symbolize that." the vase is a proof of him ultimately winning this tough competition because DS tells him he could lose. this mirrors what happen in episode 12 when TK won the second match after he dropped his head on DS' shoulder the night before and DS told him, "you've worked hard.". giving DS his trophy is beyond sweet in my book. to me it means that TK's feelings for DS are beyond a simple childhood crush/ first love.

and this leads to:
3. the confession scene with SW, in which he said that he "might die." i knew we're gonna be given more insights about the depth of his feelings after he even gave DS the trophy. while this scene was portrayed as a lighthearted bromance scene, i bet TK means it when he said that he might die. the mentions of his migraine meds/ sleeping pills just before the two guys went to bed is a little worrisome as well.... especially when it's been built up for a couple episodes that he's been taking these meds to help soothe something, whatever it is.

4. and his previous words to SW when SW asked why. "just because." just because. aaaaaaa i wish we're given the backstory/ flashback or something that we could refer to as TK's turning point just like the alley scene with JH/DS. because then the words "just because" won't mean this much. because now this means that him liking her for no special reason, with no moment to pinpoint to = he's always felt this way, and he's always seen her as a woman as opposed to just a friend (the porn videotape bit during JH's birthday, it makes sense why TK is the one to blurt out that they're not ok with watching it with her. he has to be the one to say it because he's the one most upfront about seeing DS as a woman). and if the "just because" didn't mean so much =DS doesn't mean all that much= he hasn't liked her for that long= he won't be hurt so much later on.

---

i used to think that TK is given limited screentime and baduk- centric arcs to show that TK's world does not revolve around DS. but as the series unfold we see that maybe.... his love runs deeper than what it seems on the surface. while yes, he has so many things in his life beside DS, like his dad and baduk and the other friends, that doesn't mean that his feelings for DS stops at a level of "just one of the things he treasure." to me it's more like his love for DS becomes his greatest treasure that transcends to everything else he does. we've seen how influential DS is as a support system that keeps him going, as shown in episode 9 when DS keeps him at his best condition in china, and again in episode 12 and 13 when TK's victories can be credited to DS to a certain extent. his love for DS bleeds to all the other aspects of his life: he asked DS about what to give his dad, he follows her instructions to not depend on meds so much, and he actually always tries to fulfill her requests with the gloves and the competition souvenir.

these little details say a lot too: how his dad was a mess after his wife's death. how his dad and him are alike when it comes to love (episode 11 with the clingy details). how TK doesn't even bother opening any of those fan letters. how he personally sends her one banana or wants to spend 1-1 time with her (movie, pizza, clingy requests leading to the nosebleed and nap). how he puts their photo inside his locked drawer. how he remembers every single thing about DS or their moments, save for calling her "sooyeon" which i think he's doing intentionally because he likes her as is (or maybe he believes that DS doesn't have to be called SY in order to get to college, which just shows all the more how deep his feelings are for her). and how his green padlock was broken and then switched to black, since green and black are TK and DS' colors in the official reply 1988 cartoon poster.

it makes me wonder if my pessimistic view has to do with the fact that we're given so many scenes of DS taking care of TK so much, and so naturally at that. my fear is this: what if we're shown how DS gives him fork because he struggles with chopsticks, reminds him to eat because otherwise he will just skip meals, and answers DR that she likes TK without having to think twice... because that's literally all there is to her feelings for TK? what if the banana scene with Noeul is the writer's way of telling us that DS treats Noeul and TK the same? T_T ah, i don't know. i hope we're not being shown these snippets for them to become red herrings in the end. i also wish that the scene with Noeul isn't another red herring because of how formal/ awkward TK acts around Noeul to support the hubby's statement in 2015 ("i can't talk informal to you before").

i don't have any conclusions to draw at the end of these ramblings, so forgive me. but believe me when i say that as much as TK's heart was hurt by what DS said about him not liking anyone, i personally think that it's how DS assumes she knows all there is to know about TK (and that includes how he probably doesn't like anyone) which drives the knife across his heart. to TK this means that so far, none of his actions: the episode 6 first snow phone call, the trophy vase, being clingy with the requests on episode 11,... none of them went through her head as something, on the very least. i know TK's heart is too pure to even expect anything from her in return, but it still aches me to see how his face tensed up before he told DS, "you don't know anything about me." 

i hope i am not overthinking things too much. i hope the writers will prove me wrong. by all means, please, please.. prove me wrong. but man, if TK's heart is going to get broken sometime in the next 6 episodes, i wonder how he can possibly get back on his feet without being completely crushed and broken first (and leave us viewers who love him crushed and broken all the same). 

i've expected the draggy plot and slow development to culminate in a big cliffhanger next week before the one week break, but i don't expect that i'd be this conflicted over something that's yet to happen (if it does happen at all), and especially over a fictional character whose ship i'm still reluctant to fully belong to. *SIGH* but i swear whenever DS/ thoughts about her/ her actions caused TK to smile and we zoomed in on that precious smile.. i just can't taek it....

Screen_Shot_2015_12_12_at_3_41_47_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2015_12_19_at_7_09_49_PM.png

edited to add: @liteulkwin i think we typed our comments around the same time and i just want to say that I SECOND EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY OF YOUR POST. KUDOS. and the lack of reactions are intentional i promise. we'll probably be given plenty of flashbacks/ late revelations later on. so hang in there! 

• Like 23