Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

Hi the crew :) I'm representing olders :))))) Well I'm 35 . So as "elder soul" and a supporter of DS and T, I read all your comments and now I have and obligation to say Taek is the husband for sure. Of course I was also on the JH side at the beginning. But more I was looking more I was thinking no Teak loves her for years and JH from the moment when the passion starts and that 1988. So as an elder I must say that more older you are you prefer to be a person which is more comfortable for you "best friend for all life" than passion. I respect JH emotions but I think that he also knows that maybe just maybe it's not forever and because of that he is cautious in expressing of love. 

In one moment it would be obvious for JH that Teak likes DS for years like other 2 friends know that. SW knows now and I'm pretty sure that DR is enough smart to realise that love since before. Because it's reasonable that when DS and the husband are talking about famous pictures mentioned something like Oh from this moment he must start liking you. Because in one moment everybody will know that Taek likes DS but for the years, not from 88. or 89.  

Also the husband told DS something like: I know all your secrets Well only Teak knows all her secrets :) not JH.

It's good sign that she never gives opportunity to those 2 best girl friends to meet Teak. They will see everything and tell her what it's obvious. Because of that at the beginning old DS told us that she never imagine she would  married the husband. It's normal to wish and dream about future husband except when you have now idea of liking that person. I was in that kind of situation during the colleague. My very close friend liked me but I didn't liked him and I didn't know that he liked me. But he was always taking care of me... Later 10 years after when I heard from my friends that he loved me so much I was sorry and start thinking of him as a man. But it was too late. He emigrated. So the point is. When I was younger I also wanted big obvious signs of love and I also looked at more handsome manly guys like JH. But when you get in '30. not just me but all my friends prefer security and guys like Teak. 

Also in '97 and '94. there was the same symbol of the main couple. To cuddle loving person as a puppy. Here we have potting heads between Teak and DS. I'm pretty sure that DS will have an issue with Teak's fangirls and that because of that she mentioned having "lot of girls" JH would never ever be that kind of guy neither having lot of girls neither having lot of girls chased by.

And dolls in colors. Come on SW have them, Teak have them, DS have them. It's not about color of dolls it's about expression of dolls that fit with emotions in an episode. 

@onlysb1 Exactly.Now that the drama has ended I've no hunch over the ending anymore,and I totally see how Y's love for RJM is real,except that for the whole 12, one and half hours episodes [sometimes close to two hrs] they drag the plot over bsc's one eyed dedication for YJ,and audience was exhausted by the time they showed rjm confessed at the wee hour of the finale.I just wish that does not happen here.But I can see your pov and it seems the most logical one too.I also like to see any story/fiction from the girl's pov,so if they showed reply'88 from deok sun's narrative rather than jh,I would be more happy I think.Same goes for deok sun's mom,some times I think they gave ra mi ran more credit and importance this season,so the deok sun family front got a bit behind,if I should say.About deok sun's feeling I want to quote the comment from dramabeans,

'I really love where that took us with Deok-sun’s character, and the way that wise old soul Dong-ryong turned her own questions back on her. She’s so focused on the idea of romance—the stuff she’s read in books and seen in movies—that so far a lot of her feelings have been about being in love, not a person that she’s in love with. I’d argue that she likes Jung-hwan more than she knows, based on her reactions to him, but the point is that all of it hasn’t really solidified into feelings for one person and one person alone, for her. Not in the same way that Jung-hwan and Taek are laser-focused on her. So it does bring up some questions, about what she really feels and for whom. The funny part is, I think it’s only a mystery to her.'

I think anyone who has been eighteen and is eighteen knows about the idea of being in love,just like the way deok sun reads the books and watch movies,she has an imaginary idea of love in her mind,and she wants to solidify that feeling for someone.So when her friends say they are going out on date,she wants to share that experience too,or wants to just be able to say she has been on a date and what happened there just like any other exciting experience of her life.So maybe all she needs is a little bit of reality check and actually realize that the idea of love in her mind and the person who she is offering it to,is not the same one.And she has just been falling for the wrong person all this time.

• Like 12

i for one like tsundere characters. they're like chocomallow (chocolate covered marshmallows) ...hard in the outside, soft on the inside.  it's really entertaining...but...

i love taek. i think he is the best husband material in reel and real life. you want some one who is multi dimensional. some one who has more to show and has his own thing. someone who is reliable and someone you can lean on during important events.

i do not rely too much on how the adult DS and husband acts because as someone said here...both really do not feel the same.

even adult NE acts like a (excuse the word) retard than a person who just looks older than his age.

i do pay attention to the words being spoken.

it would have been better if viki translates because they explain the inside jokes, banmal spoken, words written. but having a subbed kdrama is better than none.

someone here also said, people are fluid entities...we do change. people tend to act and respond to the person they spend the most time with.

taek might be quiet during his younger years...but that doesn't mean he will remain quiet for his entire adult life. you can still kinda see some reserved characteristics in the adult taek anyway.

and coming from someone who is already married...we do tend to "mother" our husbands sometimes. not in a baby kind of way, but we take care of them. like how our husbands worry and take care of us like an appa.

i can usually tell who will end up with whom, but this installment of "reply (answer me)" is hard.

in "97" it was no contest.

"94" i was oppa-yah all the way. not because i do not like chilbongie (he was a catch. smart, handsome, kind) but because NJ only has trash-oppa in her heart.

like what DR said...don't worry about who likes you. pay attention to who YOU like DS.

i think because she is so much into romance novels that she has this idealistic romance in mind. and most novels...have a tsundere main character.

any other drama...i would have chosen JH and i did for the first few episodes...but like i said...

i love taek.

• Like 17

I really don't think that we should take the "I couldn't speak to No Eul informally for ten years." thing too seriously. For all we know, he could have been talking about ten years before 1988...or maybe after they got married, it was harder for him to speak informally as family...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tanjam said:

Hi the crew :) I'm representing olders :))))) Well I'm 35 . So as "elder soul" and a supporter of DS and T, I read all your comments and now I have and obligation to say Taek is the husband for sure. Of course I was also on the JH side at the beginning. But more I was looking more I was thinking no Teak loves her for years and JH from the moment when the passion starts and that 1988. So as an elder I must say that more older you are you prefer to be a person which is more comfortable for you "best friend for all life" than passion. I respect JH emotions but I think that he also knows that maybe just maybe it's not forever and because of that he is cautious in expressing of love. 

In one moment it would be obvious for JH that Teak likes DS for years like other 2 friends know that. SW knows now and I'm pretty sure that DR is enough smart to realise that love since before. Because it's reasonable that when DS and the husband are talking about famous pictures mentioned something like Oh from this moment he must start liking you. Because in one moment everybody will know that Taek likes DS but for the years, not from 88. or 89.  

Also the husband told DS something like: I know all your secrets Well only Teak knows all her secrets :) not JH.

It's good sign that she never gives opportunity to those 2 best girl friends to meet Teak. They will see everything and tell her what it's obvious. Because of that at the beginning old DS told us that she never imagine she would  married the husband. It's normal to wish and dream about future husband except when you have now idea of liking that person. I was in that kind of situation during the colleague. My very close friend liked me but I didn't liked him and I didn't know that he liked me. But he was always taking care of me... Later 10 years after when I heard from my friends that he loved me so much I was sorry and start thinking of him as a man. But it was too late. He emigrated. So the point is. When I was younger I also wanted big obvious signs of love and I also looked at more handsome manly guys like JH. But when you get in '30. not just me but all my friends prefer security and guys like Teak. 

Also in '97 and '94. there was the same symbol of the main couple. To cuddle loving person as a puppy. Here we have potting heads between Teak and DS. I'm pretty sure that DS will have an issue with Teak's fangirls and that because of that she mentioned having "lot of girls" JH would never ever be that kind of guy neither having lot of girls neither having lot of girls chased by.

And dolls in colors. Come on SW have them, Teak have them, DS have them. It's not about color of dolls it's about expression of dolls that fit with emotions in an episode. 

I am also from the older front, being 29 years old :)  Glad to know that I am not alone here. Nice to meet you!

I find myself chuckling to read you analysis, because it's sooo trueeeee. When you get older and wiser, a stable and loving relationship is all you want. 

I remember having a steady friend in the past, who always was there. I found out only a decade later, that he likes me. But it's too late since I have to emigrate to another country (the opposite of your story, lol). Up until now, I still remember him fondly.

I can't stop gushing how cute DS and Taek are. Your analysis helps solidify my belief too that Taek is the husband. 

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, shooastrid said:

@shooastrid Tnx for understanding me :) Not just in life but in 97 and 94 it was also issue of being sexual close to someone who you like as a friend and you are mentally close. It's a much harder to pass that line with a friend... At the same time husband and wife are friends but also lovers! In real life when you need to pass line and to be intimate with a friend it's a huge issue. So I understand that fear. What if something goes wrong? There's no coming back. Would DS liked that in her youth - of course not. Teak - of course not. JH of course not. So there wouldn't be anything important in their youth. Can person change own attitude? Of course. :) I was very very shy till the colleague. My family was almost worried about me.But then I become very "popular" person always parting, doing sports, traveling a lot. People from my hometown still can't believe how different I've become. Even my family after so many years can't follow my change from a bookworm to "like to be happy and having lot of friends and going out".

Writer -nim and PD -nim are grown-ups so they know what we are talking about. 

All characters are THE MAIN. Because The Family is the main character not DS, JH, Teak...

But for sure DS taking care of Teak is a huge clue. And JH not taking her pink shirt, as well DS taking Teak's pink glowes. I'm more concerned about both guys health issues...:(

Edited by tanjam
grammar

woah it took me a long time to get through all the insightful, beautiful posts of everyone and the amount of times I teared up, gushed was countless. 

We truly are a submarine; the depth of all your thoughts and emotions provide analysis that even expands beyond the drama, which I am grateful to read. Again being below the surface of the ocean, is a darkly lit place to be and so it just makes you more aware of all the details of the environment around you.

Now @lovelyrainy mentioned the words of Joonhee ( still one of the best written characters of all the installments imo ) about " there's no reason when you really love someone, because if you know what the reason is, you would have found out a way to stop liking them." and I really felt this subtext with Tk and Sw scene, TK has realized how much DS presence covers so much of his life, like I think there are more scenes of her in his room than in her own room? Now I know TK can live without DS, but the love for life comes to him with DS by his side. More said beautifully by @mustardmaimai this mysterious boy who has kept his baduk  anxieties to himself (and his pills) all along has slowly begun to show his vulnerabilities to her. These intimate moments remind me of SW'smom and Tk's dad or Sw and bora. and it's why I never went on JH and DS ship, This might offend some, but JH/DS is like pop-fizzy funny scenes- but Tk/Ds feels like I am drinking tea, their scenes are comforting, and they warm your insides and something you can have everyday and never get bored/tired of it. Idk how much the writer looked into the playing style of Lee Chang Ho but @liteulkwin words reflect his style of baduk to the love of Tk - "His love for DS is just there. There's no specific grand gesture. There's no moment. It just wraps around you."

Regarding ep 13

@mustarmaimaisaid "Taekie's gift of the victory pot to DS is quite symbolic of the way in which his two deep loves-baduk and DS- are getting entwined in a rather harmonious sort of way.

and @Meliere mentioned how it's the oldest international competition in the world

now i looked it up and the winner that year was obviously not Lee Chang Ho or another Korean player, so I wonder what motivated the writer to choose that competition? was it because it is the oldest? 

Now onto DS:

I LOVED they showed her doing what I loved about her in the first place by having her take the leadership role to support someone. This point imo has been hinted all along ( dont understand why people thought she would be an actress...) her ability to organize, plan, and take action that support the emotional wellbeing of individuals is her best asset. 

the amount of times it was said that DS doesn't know anything was a little more than obvious. Now Mi Ok mentions how DS doesn't understand men in a general way and you see the misunderstanding with JH later. However, the fact that technically three times it was verbalized that she didn't know anything about TK made way more impact with Mi Ok line. AND AND ( thank you for the translation @Kilaalaa) DS says I've got you in the palms of my hands LIKE WHAT 

you just said that you know everything and TKis always within your reach.

and that is all I meant when I said that the fact that it is so much more difficult for Tk and Ds to cross the line because there is so much more to lose. DS prides herself on having Tk that close to her, she kept telling her friends she is protective because he is famous, but also DS, honey, you have also been fooling yourself into thinking that Tk will always stay the same. Always in your hands. 

And as @meliere highlighted, the departure of Tk in that role in DS is "something that's a mix of betrayal, de-familiarization, and loss" 

and that is something none of the secound leads had in the installments. 

someone mentioned how those cheering for Chilbong became focused on getting justice, but with Tk it's different and because of TK/DSim actually reevaluating how i felt about 1994 ( I actually never thought i would say that...long way everyone) 

DS is the sun/light for Tk and he is going to now have to deal with living without it because we all need the days of rain to let us learn about how to persevere and grow to stand tall and brightly face the sun once it returns.

Tk is home for Ds and she is going to now have to deal with living without it because we all need to learn how to feel alone and only rely on ourselves and not others to figure out how to work through adversity and come out of it to go back to loved ones more mature and able to support the strong foundations that keep the home up.

"my dear, please be my strength" 

Sidenote; I am soooo excited for 90s fashion, like please bring it on! and is it too much if PBG does an ost cover...IS IT ( perferred with HR, but...I take what i can get T.T)

my quote boxes were not working so apologies in advance!

• Like 15

10 hours ago, moonkeeper said:
Spoiler

DS: It must be good to be you. Other than baduk, you don't have any interest in anything else.

MLYV0k.gif

DS: You've never liked anyone before right?

2876aN.gif

DS:Other than baduk, you're not interested in anything else, right?

7MmaBr.gif

DS: Tsk...No? Stop lying. Don't you know who you are lying to right now?

65RabW.gif

DS: I've got you in the palm of my hands. There's nothing about you that I don't know. 

a2qlA5.gif

knr9Pq.gif

8DnapW.gif

I think this scene meant to show how every single remark of Deok Sun gradually hurts Taek which is why he can't hold it in anymore. It's like irreversible path he leads from this point on.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Wendy Wang said:

I really don't think that we should take the "I couldn't speak to No Eul informally for ten years." thing too seriously. For all we know, he could have been talking about ten years before 1988...or maybe after they got married, it was harder for him to speak informally as family...

Actually.... That sentence alone says a lot.

Assuming that Taek moved in the neighborhood when he was around 6-8y/o. 

NE would have been already born and DS is only a few years older (1-2 years? I can't remember).

Since NE looks older than his actual age, Taek would have assumed that NE is older than DS. Making Taek talk formally to him .

JH, SW, and DR would not talk formally to someone they're very familiar with and already know is younger than their friend DS. 

1988-1989 would have been just the start of Taek talking informally to NE. 

Did I make sense? 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, mangachickava said:

DS is the sun/light for Tk and he is going to now have to deal with living without it because we all need the days of rain to let us learn about how to preserve and grow to stand tall and brightly face the sun once it returns.

Sunlight and Sunflowerboy...sorry I want to kick myself for this too lol ^^

Spoiler

image.jpg

• Like 7

I just wonder why Teak can't remember to cal DS as Soo Yoen?

Or he wants DS to fall the university exam then stay at home like him?

:) just think so, HAPPY MONDAYCHINGUS.

We have to move over very very long long week...

DO IT TOGETHER!!! ;)

• Like 3

@mustardmaimai Oh! I think you meant to mention @hafunohane when you mentioned me in your comment! I can't take credit for her amazing analysis of baduk and TK's life. I merely quoted part of it! :) But omg your description of life in the past touches me. I did not grow up in that era, but for some reason, I still feel like it's familiar. I don't know if it's because of the culture I grew up in or because my family and siblings did live in the era, but I just sometimes feel like I'm from that time, too. Maybe I'm overstepping my age group, but it just brings that nostalgic feel to me, too. So wonderfully stated.

9 hours ago, Meliere said:

See how HAPPY these genius dudes are with their treasure? LOL it cracks me up how nonplussed Choi Taek looks in his "official" winner's photo. What a BAMF.

LMAO I KNOW RIGHT. I laughed so hard at this. "What a BAMF." Choi Taek is going to be the death of me. Remember how when he took the photo with Jang-pyo, DS had to snap at him to try to smile a little, but for his picture with her, he just beams like the sun?? Taek... your crush is showing. But she doesn't get it.

Also thank you @darafangirl29 for agreeing with the hair gel. Hallelujah indeed. Taek already looked pretty BA in a suit with his cold shoulder to the press, but that bowl cut needs to go. I hope 23 year-old Taek who dates many girls has a little bit more flair. All of the boys could use a little bit of magic though. And for your stalking comment ... omg if we had enough time in the last six episodes for some comedy of DS creeping around the baduk training center to catch Taek's fangirls... She won't even let her friends meet him, how is she going to let some random fangirls get near him? Had I shipped them as nothing more than friends, I would have thoroughly enjoyed DS's interview process for TK's girlfriends LOL.

Anyway. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the potential of their relationship. I can't believe that they would let such a brilliant development go to waste. This would be one of the most real and subtle relationship maturations to ever exist in K-drama. And so insanely unique. So incredible distinguished and beautiful. The only reaction I can think of having if it were to go awry is, "Bu..t...w..hy..."

So my friend sent me this pic and I saved it, but I have no idea where it's from. I think that's the credits right on it. I'm sorry I'm not properly giving credits, but it's certainly not mine. Anyway...

pu97d.gif

My delulu daydream of the husband reveal. :wub:

• Like 21

39 minutes ago, libra83 said:

I just wonder why Teak can't remember to cal DS as Soo Yoen?

Or he wants DS to fall the university exam then stay at home like him?

'Soo Yeon', while pretty and much more fashionable (and yes, you can become an actress with a name like 'soo yeon'), is not Deok Sun. 

The name will not stick (sorry, JH/Ds shippers who want her to become an actress); in 2015, Bora unni calls Lee Mi Yeon "Deok Sun".

The writer chose Deok Sun to highlight our girl's character. The name may be old fashioned and drab, but it is what it is: Deok Sun's hanja characters (德善) means 'virtuous and kind'. And that's who she is: she may wear a lifetime's worth of old hand-me-downs, but no one can deny that she has a kind and wonderful heart.

I have a feeling Taek adores her name in itself, and that's why his attempts at calling her "Soo Yeon" is a total fail. 

• Like 11

*still rubbing my eyes*

❤❤❤

Good morning chingus!

I just woke up and wanted to tell you how I had a Taekie dream! I mean he was just doing his usual clumsy stuff and mostly falling asleep without intending to so I mothered him by putting a blanket over him alright. But then he woke up and then I woke up and lol. 

Geez, really gotta get my head straight...

a61.png?w=600&h=300

• Like 10