[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

7 hours ago, gihwayujo said:

i decided i'd translate the names of the other princes :) i am by no means an expert but i'm trying my best here combining what i can from chinese and korean sources:

1st prince / crown prince wang mu -- 王武 -- 왕무 -- mu literally means military/war. as a name it probably means brave. interesting because taejo did mention that mu has fought alongside him for years. it's also a legit japanese name today (takeshi)

3rd prince wang yo -- 王堯 -- 왕요 -- this one is tough for me i don't know enough classical chinese to really give a good translation. i want to say it means sage / someone of high birth. which is interesting because he and his mother are all about their high birthright and are walking around thinking they're totally entitled to more power. 堯 is also the name of a very legendary emperor (this guys is from like 3000 bc...goryeo is set around 900 ad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Yao). so yeah it's nice to be named after some really legendary emperor guy right? maybe that's why yo has his eye on the throne ;) 

4th prince wang so -- 王昭 -- 왕소 -- his name means shining light / bright light. judging from how the word is used in chinese words, it does imply that it is sunlight...it is also used to describe the first light of the dawn, in fact :) 

8th prince wang wook -- 王旭 -- 왕욱 -- he has explained his name for us. it means the rising sun / radiant / brilliant :)

9th prince wang won -- 王垣 -- 왕원 -- this one is a little odd. his name literally means wall. which has the connotation of defence (in a military way, you know, protecting the city's walls?) i had to re-watch the bathhouse scene a ton of times to catch their hanja names. this guy was working out and asking 3 to check out his muscles. so maybe he's got some military prowess??? 9 is so underdeveloped right now i'm not sure if that's going to change at all. he just seems to be the guy who's always saying slightly inappropriate things. he also seems to have a slightly better relationship with 3. which makes me wonder if that scene where the brothers were play-fighting if it foreshadows the sides that they will take in the later part of the series :/???

10th prince wang eun -- 王銀 -- 왕은 -- this one made me giggle. it means silver! he's always number 2 eh??? *raises index finger* :P

13th prince baek ah -- 王郁 -- 왕욱 -- 伯牙 -- 백아 -- this one made me giggle too. it means elegant, cultured. that's why he's so into poetry and art :) it has a secondary meaning fragrant / perfumed. BUT PLOT TWIST the hanja is not "baek ah". the hanja reads as "wook" too. his real name is wang wook!!! i really don't know where baek ah comes from. on the korean wiki the hanja given was 伯牙 and all i could find was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Ya this guy was musician from china's warring states era (basically, somewhere in the vicinity of confucius' time period which is just over 1000 years before goryeo. just like how goryeo is about 1000 years before the present timeline if it helps gives you some perspective of time) i have no idea why they named him baek ah apart from the potential reference here. i'm not sure if this is a real historical name or if the writers chose to do so because they can't have two characters named wook (it's likely it was the writer's decision). it is likely they named him baek ah to be treated as a nickname or some other formal name (men back then had multiple names/titles. confucius had a name given to him as a child, and a formal courtesy name, and later on his teacher name etc. just like how the princes have names now but should they ascend the throne they take an imperial name. spoiler: according to history: 1 becomes hyejong, 3 becomes jeongjong and 4 becomes gwangjong.) it also gives you the idea that he is the most distant from the throne as no one really uses his real, formal prince name.

14th prince wang jung -- 王貞-- 왕정 -- it means loyal / upright / virtuous / pure / righteous. and yeah when soo saves his life he pledges allegiance to her and is loyal to a fault :)

hope you guys enjoyed this!

yup Baek Ah real name is Wook too. but since he has an older brother with same name, he goes with Baek Ah. BAek Ah prob his nick name to differentiate him from Wook. 

• Like 6

@violet90 yeah we need more hugging between Sosoo to speed up the pace between these two! Next week is ep 8! The very special ep for all SBS dramas lol where a kiss or something will happen esp if the drama is 16 eps, but ours is 20 so I hope they don't make us wait till ep 10....

• Like 11

1 minute ago, qwenli said:

@violet90 yeah we need more hugging between Sosoo to speed up the pace between these two! Next week is ep 8! The very special ep for all SBS dramas lol where a kiss or something will happen esp if the drama is 16 eps, but ours is 20 so I hope they don't make us wait till ep 10....

i think usually saeguk have a little skinship but in here i doubt that the case.. WS is a possessive person and even in long preview we can see he always have skinship with HS.. i just hope when they actually in relationship they will have a bunch of skinship , kisses and hug.. lol

• Like 13

In the Chinese version, 4th Prince taught Ruoxi how to write. In this version, what will 4th Prince teach Hae Soo? Or, what if they switched it around, and made Hae Soo teach 4th Prince something. And then, at the end, Hae Soo will finally realize how much affection and love 4th Prince has for her. :huh:

• Like 7

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

True... but look at the way she behaved towards lady Hae. She was rather cold and distant. She wanted to get rid of her, once she realised that she was so sick. She views people as disposable. On the other hand, lady Hae was not cold-hearted and didn't mistrust people like her sister-in-law. Lady Hae had a different conception of life that's why she tried to push her husband to marry someone he loves. Both come from the same social background. Lady Hae knew how life at the palace is, but she cared much more about happiness than power itself. Sure, Yeon Hwa is traumatised that's why she is so blind to others' feelings. In her head, she is trying to survive, but she is doing it at others' expense. That's why the difference between Hae Soo and Yeon Hwa can't be just explained that the one comes from 21st century and the other from the 10th century. Notice that JM is not pushing Wang So to Yeon Hwa.  

You have a point there although Lady Hae was part of a noble clan who lived away from the capital thus she had a more carefree childhood as compared to Yeon Hwa who was immediate royal family being targeted by the other queen (So, Jung, Yo's mother). I think that the remaining mysteries of the drama as according to Yeon Hwa's character synopsis will be what made her switch from Wook to So as how did they get married in the first place since her heart may sway to him but rationally he was not one of her choices due to his facial features and lack of ambition. From the character synopsis, it feels like she will be forced to marry So to marginalise her away from power but she will try to make lemonades from lemons and make him king instead although he may do it because of Hae Soo and the prodding of the General.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Bring it on, I say! 

But to be fair, there's been no real need for it yet. Now of course that they're both in love with the same girl, everything will change. :D I am raring for it to happen. I am especially looking forward to So throwing Uk's words back at him... "Nothing here belongs to you." because quite honestly, Uk is in an even less powerful position than what he was when he threw those words at So. 

I just love it when male bravado gets cut down and shredded into pieces. :P;)

I know I've been critical of Uk in the last few posts that I've made here partly because I think there needs to be some kind of balance in how we perceive these characters. He's not perfect and there's nothing wrong with that in the larger context of the show but I think there needs to be some kind of corrective to the common interweb perception that he can do no wrong just because he appears to be the epitome of the romantic hero. There are flaws to his character just as there are flaws to So. The reality is that So is so obviously dark with tendencies towards primal savagery that it's easy to overlook the inconsistencies in Uk's character because he seems to be his polar opposite. Obviously they are very different and have been raised very differently with varying results. Despite being sons of a king, they are as much prisoners of the system as anyone else. The conventional belief is that the king holds ultimate power so that's the pinnacle of achievement for a son of a king to aspire to. Once the king goes, there will be a power vacuum and because he has done such a terrible job of being a father and a husband, the throne of Goryeo will be fair game for the most determined. The irony in all these political marriages is while alliances can be made with powerful clans to keep the peace, the reality is that it becomes the mechanism through which these clans try to gain a foothold on the throne potentially making governance virtually impossible. 

The drama also demonstrates, I believe, that 21st century notions of love and romance sit uneasily in said system. It's highly intrusive and brings with it destabilizing notions such as "freedom" and "independence" which have their foundations in the belief in the equality of all human beings to choose who they'd like to be and who they want to be with. However, when there's no ability to do so, power grabs become the order of the day... so the most powerful guy gets to do what he wants... which is not entirely the case as we've seen.

I also disagree quite strongly that we shouldn't compare the two male leads. In fact I believe that the show leads us to do so as the juxtaposition is written into the script and very clearly shown in all their interactions with Su.

I also tend to take the position (an occupational hazard) that it's not very interesting if we all agree on everything all of the time. I appreciate the diversity of views presented here and often I find that even views I don't agree with can stimulate me to think more clearly about the positions I hold. What we all have in common is that we love this drama and celebrate it on this thread.

For me it's become a rather unhealthy obsession... ;) 

About Wook, it's ok. Even me as his fans sometimes have the tendency to snap his neck. Hahaha. I'm not waiting for the nice Wook anyway. I'm waiting for that wolf to come out from his sheep clothes. Wether the production team will give to me and when is still tentative. It's not gonna happen until So take away HS and I hear he cried 'Soo yaaaa!' so painfully. So I'm pretty much on the wait here. 

And you are right about everybody is pretty much a prisoner in its own term. No one gets to do nothing that he/she wants freely. But It's what makes the race to be king exciting isn't it? Just like the game of throne. Jon Snow Goryeo version anyone?

5 hours ago, ilovekorearocks said:

Good morning everyone! Just droppin' by to say Hi! And have a happy Friday! Counting the days till its Moonday!

If this is true, that WW will see the situation and ask WS to let go of HS, this is the 2nd time that he asked him to let HS go. Wasn't there a part on the trailer that WS said for HS to brace herself as the next time he will not let go? :blush: OMG I'm so excited for the tension. :heart:

I enjoyed reading everyone insights on the latest episode and past episode. I'm excited to read more. Keep 'em coming!

Moon Lovers! Hwaiting!

I'm excited too.

The first time, WS let go out of respect to Wook because Wook gave him a place to stay. Beside Wook gripped his hand very tight. This second time, I'm not sure it will go away without a little tension. WS is not someone who gives a f*** (pardon my lang) about pretty much anything. He was ready to defy King's order so Hae Soo can escape marriage. I doubt he care WookSoo relationship more when the time comes. Maybe next week he will back down but we know it doesn't last forever. He's not someone who will make a way for you just because you are shouting at him. 

It will a nice scene to see. 

• Like 6

@bebebisous33 Agree with you. WS left the palace for so many years, should say at very young age. He has no one take care of him, no one teach him how to react as a prince,  except the general teaches him martial, so that he could survive. But WS is smart in the sense that he alerts with surrounding environment, that why he told HS that the palace is a place hard to get in and get out. Everyone lives here is alone and take care of their own business.  He could understand pretty well the law of living in palace within short period of his staying, just because of his attitudes and characters.....calm and thoughtful.

What lacking is he does not know how to manage the feeling of true love. His mother never devoted love to him, and causes him desperate a caring from his mother. When someone like HS takes care of him, especially in episode 3, HS noticed only his hand was bleeding, and worrying about him. WS surprised with her caring even he told her that the blood happened because of killing. 

And, when true love comes, he does not how to react. That s could drive him crazy when HS looked at him without blinking her eyes, she seems like she accepts his scar whereby he himself could not accept the scar that makes his life miserable. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, magdale said:

Is Wang So. In episode 8 preview he is wearing white clothes so now I'm thinking that this scene maybe is going to happen on Monday. I'm crossing my fingers for that  waiting onion head

isnt he doing some thing like praying for rain? i believe someone mention that the royal family are all dressed in white in order to pray for rain. 

however there were two things in the preview for ep 8. one where he was wearing white and stones were being thrown at him. and the second was when he was confronting Yo about who sits on the throne?

• Like 8

@deabakdrama I agree too! I also thought with the mask scene at the end of episode 7, he's just come to terms with the fact that he has feelings for Soo. So when he walks into the room and Eun asks for a gift and Soo smiles and says that he will keep his word, Wang So puffs up. For someone who's been treated like an animal all of his life, he wants to look good in front of Soo. So when Eun asks him take off his mask, his pride won't let him run away. It's heartbreaking when his siblings look away in horror and disgust, but I think what cuts So up the most is the fact that Soo is looking straight at him with those wide innocent eyes full of pity and sympathy. It's her way of showing care, just like she shows care to all of the other princes. But he can't stand that pity, that sympathy. He can be called names, appear pathetic in front of his siblings, his parents because he doesn't care what they think of him. But he wants Soo to think well of him, so when he's reduced to a pathetic sight in front of her and he sees her pity, it makes him angry. There's this great line in Tolstoy that says, "She saw in him pity for herself but not love." I think there's some of that going on here too. He doesn't like her feeling sorry for him. He doesn't want to be pitied by the only person he cares about. At least, that was my take on the last scene, and why he hates that look in her eyes like crazy.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, kaoriharang said:

isnt he doing some thing like praying for rain? i believe someone mention that the royal family are all dressed in white in order to pray for rain. 

however there were two things in the preview for ep 8. one where he was wearing white and stones were being thrown at him. and the second was when he was confronting Yo about who sits on the throne?

I am doubtful about the situation. Which screen comes first? Did WS manage to sit on the throne but is not accepted by people, that s why people were throwing stone at him. ? But why WS said that he is there to claim his rights?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bingewatcherinsomniac said:

@UnniSarah yeah, wook and so is a polar opposite to each other in character that it's no surprise there are stark differences in their reaction to everything. 

But I adores both of them. :wub:These two actor are so good in their portrayal of character, it always hit me right in the feels whenever they start being emotive on screen. Even their subtle expression is so spot on. I don't know who I should choose if I were soo (she's a lucky girl~) 

But I think we should understand wook better, it's not like he didn't consider soo and save her right away.. It just he needs to come up with better solution as to not hurt other people in the process. It just the way he is, a careful, considerate, responsible guy. For example:

1. In chaeryung case, when wook overhear that soo will step up taking the blame, he can't just stop yeonhwa instantly. We should understand his position, although he's the head of family all household duty is yeonhwa territory (because his wife is sick), he can't overstep certain boundary. He follow the rules.  First he needs to know the reason first and if he think it's not right then he amends thing after. If he stops yeonhwa without thinking or consider her territory, he will openly ridicule his sister in front of other sibling and maids. That is not something he would do. 

2. When wook try to ask his mother the Queen about haesoo marriage, he can't just blurt out his frustration like jung did, he must consider his mother honor in front of evil Queen too. You can see how much burden he have to hide in that situation,I start pitying him.. No wonder he falls hard for soo,she's the first girl that didn't put high expectations towards him. She genuinely appreciate his kindness but understand that a person can be tired as well. She demands nothing from him but appreciate him. 

Although wook grows up with family (unlike so) he also faced certain hardship that since young age he carry huge responsibilities to protect his family at all cost. I believe he's a genuinely good guy at first, but people start taking his kindness for granted and set high expectations towards him that he lost his sincerity along the way. The guy is tired, please let him breath for once please... :tears:

That is why is unfortunate that in international version they cut the yeonhwa-wook conversation scene. It highlighted wook burden and immense responsibility within his family, with or without his own consent, as he thinks that his beloved mother and dongsaeng "selflessly" dedicated their life for him.  When me across the screen screaming "no girl. You're so selfish! Stop putting tons of brick of burden to your oppa's shoulder! Let him breath!  Heol~" :sweatingbullets:

@bingewatcherinsomniac  Everything you said is true about  Wook. Yes, I agree Wook is always put in a difficult situation and it does make sense but there are still ways that he could have protected both his sister's honor and Hae Soo.  He walked on scene and just stood there when he could have asked what is going on??  What did The maid do?  After his sister told him what happened and question Hae Soo and the maid and then allow her to discipline as she fit.  Wook also know his sister has a mean streak and likes to punish the maid  harshly because she thinks they are beneath her. He also knows his sister did not like his wife and her cousin . Since Hae Soo chose to take the punishment and saw his sister take the  baton he should have done something because Yeonhwa is very emotional. I think his choice of protecting his family is good because that shows he is honorable but honesty is best in a relationship with someone you love. That way you both can share your worries. I can tell Yeonhwa and Wang Wook are very close.  

@solelylurking  I enjoyed reading both of your post  chingu and it has somewhat changed my perspective toward Hae Soo and Wang Wook love.  I have turned a new leaf by just watching how Hae Soo's love for Wang Wook  develope and falter as the drama progress. Even though I wasn't swayed by her love for WW I could not deny it.   I also agree with you that Yeonhwa is in fact in love with Wang So. Even though she could not look at him when WS removed he mask it was out of  shock and  because of how she was taught that BEAUTY IS THE WAY OF THE WORLD. 

@KdramaSwimmer  I agree with perspective of what was important in this episode. This episode made me realize that  Tae Jo doesn't hate his WS. I am so glad that he loves all his children but he can't just show it because of that evil richard simmons (Queen Yoo) he married. He sent his most trusted warrior to train his on in the art of War. Tae Jo planned well because General Park trusted his son and WS also respect him just the king has the same respect of the General.  The General is out spoken to both the present King and the future King.  So glad both you and @solelylurking have come to same conclusion.  Yeonhwa is in love with WS but she will never betray her brother because she loves him to and they both have suffered and can't forget the pain they had suffered in the past. It is because of her she couldn't wait to get rid of her once her SIL died because she saw how Hae Soo affected Wang So. Even WW seen how she has affected his scarred brother. Even WW knows his sisters feelings for WS. He can deny she wants WS for power but her knows it's because  of her feelings are genuine. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, deabakdrama said:

I am doubtful about the situation. Which screen comes first? Did WS manage to sit on the throne but is not accepted by people, that s why people were throwing stone at him. ? But why WS said that he is there to claim his rights?

may it is claim his right as a prince? after all yo and his mother dont see him worthy of the throne much less his princeship? 

I am unclear, but you know with previews they jumble scenes up, so i am unsure what comes after what? we will just have to wait and see... :blush:

• Like 3

All this talk about rain in the preview:

1%20copy_zpso6adid9w.jpg

2%20copy_zpsekyccxe6.jpg

3%20copy_zps6ljsyvyb.jpg

A thought that I had is the gif where we see So pulling Soo into a hug is also in the rain this could potentially mean that this scene will occur very soon. "You'll become king if it rains." I think Baek Ah says this line I'm not 100% sure. I think this might be the catalyst of So joining in on the battle for the throne and the reason why So is seen stopping Yo and saying "I came for my seat."

4%20copy_zpsykrsk1fd.jpg

Maybe rain is symbolic of big changes which are about to take place. In the preview there is some ritual going on and everyone is wearing white so maybe someone died. Yo also looks awfully happy if someone did die. I really think that the battle for the throne is going to go into full swing in the next episodes and everything is going to get more intense. Just some wondering thoughts I had so wanted to share :) 

• Like 18

Another Korean historical trivia: 

Hae was the family name of the founder of Goguryeo, which somehow became interchangeable with Go later on. Thus, some Korean fans speculate that Go Ha Jin is a descendant of Hae Soo's relatives. 

Of the princes, most of them are using the names from history, except for Wang Eun (10th in MLSHR). We don't have very many records of him, so his name was invented for this drama. Historically, he is one of the first victims of the game of thrones that ensues after Wang Geon's death. While the records say his maternal grandfather committed treason, I think it was a false charge fabricated by Yo (and possibly So, too) to justify them taking the throne. 

Spoiler

In the early synopsis, his character has a very tragic, twisted death. I hope they changed it because it's such a heartbreaking story.

The historical Choi Ji Mong was given this name of "dream knowing" because he interpreted Wang Geon's dream to mean that he'd be the one to unite the Korean peninsula. 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, magdale said:

Is Wang So. In episode 8 preview he is wearing white clothes so now I'm thinking that this scene maybe is going to happen on Monday. I'm crossing my fingers for that  waiting onion head

It looks like WANG SO. I am positive it's his sexy self LOL LOL LOL  admire2 onion headadmire2 onion head  I can't wait to see him hug her  happy onion headhappy onion head  I will cheering him on  HWAITING!!!!!  hell yes onion headcheer3 onion headcheer1 onion head  :heart::heart::heart:

• Like 19