[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Your comments and analysis made me thinks to a different perspective. Hae Soo and her game of fate. In real life she was in a love triangle. Ha Jin and her best friend vs. boyfriend/lover. And she end up hurt and resentful. She's sent back in time and she’s caught in another love triangle, where her position is changed from side to center. Obviously, there is something she needs to learn, avoid making the same mistakes twice. And from this perspective the scene with Hae Soo walking through the snow on Wang Wook's footprints suggests (in my opinion) that she’s about to take the same route again.
There’s always in the back the voice of astronomer who’s similar to a trickster. “Take care what you say”, “follow you fate”…which actually it shouldn’t be taken ad literam but more as action triggers…speak your mind (vs. her real life experience “I did not tell them what I wanted to say”). Follow your fate, and even if there is a predetermined fate-factor, there are lot of other variables…so make the necessary adjustments.
Sarasona said that we interpret Goryeo era with modern ethics and equality. True, they are antagonistic in this respect. But in my opinion, that’s how the narrative is built up, through Hae Soo eyes. She’s making her own judgments about morals. However, she has a particular and not very critical approach in this respect. All her judgments are softened by the way she acts and interacts with the other characters.
We don’t know what the others see her, because we are already told in the narrative how to see things, oh she’s hurt her head and she’s a bit eccentric.  And like the astronomer, Hae Soo has it’s own trickster role for other characters, either facing their fears, or pushing them out of their comfort zone.  

• Like 11

@40somethingahjumma agree with you on wook...

wook... for me is one character who wants to do so much, can promise moon and stars as well but when it comes to do it in reality he thinks or over thinks before deciding to do or not to do. And his over thinking makes him a pole apart character than So or even Soo for that matter.

So-Soo surely think but when they judge extreme measures are required they just go for it and then remain with their decision with no regrets.

I see in Wook both first indecisiveness and then regret of not being able to do what he should have done. And eveytime he says sorry I couldn't do it or I felt pathetic just increases the intensity of his regret. 

I dont want to say he is bad than WS cause he too has his weaknesses and flaws just like you said but may be he is the lead so his character is written that way to make is feel all empathy and emotions for him, and find all his decisions correct besides this we have seen so much of background and emotional baggage WS carries to connect with him but in case of WW we hardly know much to feel for him to connect with him. And if get to know more abt his back story we can surely react differently.

Too add...this is the only kdrama ever in mg life which made me hovering on this thread whole day till its 2am and I hav no energy to think or to write anything more.  Addiction at its worst I say...

• Like 13

@aine7 i agree. i did notice that hae soo was caught in a love triangle in her original life where her ex was in the center of it all and now she's caught in another love triangle where she is in the center. perhaps it might make her less resentful towards her ex now that she might be able to see things from his perspective maybe? forgiveness is another buddhist/karmic/east asian trope in dramas. this comes from my own personal experiences but i've been in bad relationships too (i've been cheated on twice lol) and i emotionally cheated on an ex when a relationship was falling apart, it was only then when i actually found myself in the same position when i saw that things really aren't so simple and i found it in me to forgive. maybe i'm projecting myself in here a little too much :sweatingbullets:

the other trope i noticed is how she originally made an impact on people -- wook saw her as a cute little sister and her presence made him smile and laugh like never before. however towards so she originally made an impact on him because she had a nurturing maternal presence that he never received ("i hope you live well in the palace. eat well. sleep well" she said something like that in episode... 3? i can't remember it's the scene when the snow started falling) and really she was just being a normal human being ("oh you're going on a holiday? enjoy! take care!" we all say that kind of stuff) but so probably did not experience much human decency in his lifetime. i enjoy that the series plays on different perspectives and aspects of a person's character. we do exhibit different parts of ourselves to different people at different times, and i enjoy that exploration. eventually you see the reverse happening when soo comforts wook after his wife dies and how so kinda gave her the big brother speech in episode 7 in the garden including the flick on the forehead.

Edited by gihwayujo
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, finebyme said:

Was this an out take??? It looks like it might have been an amusing scene to watch... 

Chingu this scene is soo awesome :blush: thank yo so much for sharing ! But i dont know why they have not brodcasted it and was edited out.. :bawling: It wouls have been so nice to see this...I wish they make this scene as a flashback in a future episode...

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, gihwayujo said:

@aine7 i agree. i did notice that hae soo was caught in a love triangle in her original life where her ex was in the center of it all and now she's caught in another love triangle where she is in the center. perhaps it might make her less resentful towards her ex now that she might be able to see things from his perspective maybe? forgiveness is another buddhist/karmic/east asian trope in dramas. this comes from my own personal experiences but i've been in bad relationships too (cheated on twice lol) and i emotionally cheated on an ex when a relationship was falling apart, it was only then when i actually found myself in the same position. maybe i'm projecting myself in here a little too much :sweatingbullets:

the other trope i noticed is how she originally made an impact on people -- wook saw her as a cute little sister and her presence made him smile and laugh like never before. however towards so she originally made an impact on him because she had a nurturing maternal presence that he never received ("i hope you live well in the palace. eat well. sleep well" she said something like that in episode... 3? i can't remember it's the scene when the snow started falling) . i enjoy that the series plays on different perspectives and aspects of a person's character. we do exhibit different parts of ourselves to different people at different times, and i enjoy that exploration. eventually you see the reverse happening when soo comforts wook after his wife dies and how so kinda gave her the big brother speech in episode 7 in the garden including the flick on the forehead.

There are different keys of interpretation. Buddhist/karmic/east asian trope was a bit too hidden for my European mindset. But nevertheless, seeing things from the other's perspective helps finding a closure. Even our own experiences make us receptive to different levels of interpretation, make us relate better to motivations and action triggers, see things that others may overlook. 

• Like 7

@aine7 i agree it's a very very minor theme, it's likely we might not see any closure for go ha jin's previous relationship. :) it could also be a "be careful for what you wish for" kind of thing. poor sad jilted girl gets thrown into a reverse harem where everyone wants a piece of her. now she has to fight her way out!

• Like 7

U's 'Scarlet Heart: Ryeo' co-star Lee Joon-Gi talks challenges of playing 4th Prince Wang So

• South Korean actor Lee Joon-Gi plays the lead character of 4th Prince Wang So in SBS's 'Scarlet Heart: Ryeo.'

South Korean actor Lee Joon-Gi plays the lead character of 4th Prince Wang So in SBS's 'Scarlet Heart: Ryeo.' (Photo : YouTube/Escape Ina)

South Korean actor Lee Joon-Gi, 34, recently discussed the on-going SBS's "Scarlet Heart: Ryeo." In a recent interview, the 34-year-old star opened up about the challenges that come with taking on the role of the fearsome 4th Prince, Wang So, who covers his face with a mask.

Like Us on Facebook

"Wearing a mask while acting signifies the character's drama within, so I was very interested and liked it," Soompi quoted Lee as saying before a group of local reporters. "But when acting, it's not easy to control my depth perception and there were times when I got dizzy."

The "Scholar Who Walks the Night" actor was deeply worried about what to do whenever he got dizzy. He hopes to adjust as soon as possible since that aspect apparently heightens during action scenes.

Lee also shared his thoughts on communicating his emotions in the show, stating 4th Prince Wang So apparently communicate with the viewers using the eyes. However, he stressed that he put a lot of effort in finding the boundaries, explaining that if he put too much intensity behind his eyes, it could ultimately cover Wang So's story and his pain.

In SBS's "Scarlet Heart: Ryeo," Lee plays the aloof and reserved Wang So, who is known for his insightful intuition and cruelty. He was given the derogatory label "wolf dog" by the others.

In a separate interview with reporters, Lee stated that his previous acting experience apparently made him feel more comfortable while on the set of "Scarlet Heart: Ryeo." Lee has been acting in a periodic series consistently, most notably in MBC's "Arang and the Magistrate" and SBS's "Iljimae."

"Scarlet Heart: Ryeo," which premiered on Aug. 29, was crowned as the most influential TV show for the first week of September regardless of being behind in viewership ratings. The historical drama secured the first place with a recorded total points of 294.3, according to CJ E&M, as cited by The Kpop Herald.

mY TOTAL RESPECT FOR THE ACTOR...IS DOING A GREAT JOB
  • Like 15

9 minutes ago, pwnkl said:

I stumbled this scene upon my daily dose of re-watch. I just love how Soo came out of nowhere and disperses his solemn reflection.  :wub:

^_^ He was looking at his reflection and suddenly Haesoo came out from it, the same spot....Was beautiful! and a good idea.

• Like 20

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

SELF-PERCEPTION + EXTERNAL PERCEPTION   So when Wang So is saying that he is mad at her look, it is first because he is seeing himself. It is his self-perception he is seeing. The way I see it, Wang So hates his scar, he hates his face and finally himself. His huge inferiority complex is visible in that scene. I believe, he has never looked at himself in the mirror and since people never looked at him properly (in his eyes), he has never got a chance to see his own perception. That's why when Hae Soo looks at him, it is the first time that he is seeing himself and he can't stand it. Sure, her eyes don't reflect reality but he doesn't feel it like that. He is forced to see himself, he is confronted with his reflection. Remember in the second episode, he asked her if she saw it. In my opinion, back then, he didn't feel like she was looking at him. So back then, he was not really confronted with his self-perception. 

Moreover, since he was an outcast and had a bad reputation, he was never interested in looking at the external perception. He knew about the rumours about him, he never paid attention to it or he used it to his advantage, therefore he was never bothered to look at people's eyes/gaze. He knew how people would perceive him. But this time, it is different: he is seeing, how he is perceived by Hae Soo. Her judgement about him is painful because he has just realised that he loves her. He is afraid of seeing himself in her. How does she view or perceive him? I guess, he is mad since he is in love but he sees no love for him in her yet. It is painful for him... on the other hand, he sees that she cares for him so that he gets aware of the difference in their affection. It hurts him even much more. Finally he is confronted with external perception that matters to him this time. Hae Soo's judgement and perception is so important to him as she is the most important person in his life. 

As conclusion, he can't stand her gaze for three reasons:

- he hates to see himself in her as he hates himself

- for the first time, his external perception is really important because Hae Soo has such influence in his life

- Wang So realises, how Hae Soo perceives him: someone who needs comfort and empathy, but she doesn't love him back.

This is painful for him. I hope, this was understandable to read. All this leads me to come to the conclusion that

- he needs to accept himself and overcome his inferiority complex

- he needs to change Hae Soo's view about him, so that he will change his behaviour towards her. She needs to see him as a man and as a man in love with her. Since Wang So is more a man of action, we can expect why he will become more physical with her.

@Yongzura @littleloonydid you read this comment?

Thanks,  @bebebisous33 :).  I always love to read your postings because I myself is not that expressive.  Here goes:

Yes, I remember that this is not the first time their eyes locked without him putting on his mask.   He was looking at his own reflection in the water in Ep. 2 when HS emerged suddenly.  Both were surprised and shocked at that time, but HS got the chance to look at his face before he realised, covered the scar and asked her, "Did you see it?" After that, he uncovered it, got closer, threatened her and asked her to forget and erase everything.  To me HS definitely was looking at him and saw the scar but at that time they met as strangers and she was more terrified of him.  

This time, she already got to know him better, even the 10th Prince acknowledged that she is closer to the 4th Prince. However, at that same time, he also realised the way he felt about HS is different now.  Not as a stranger, not as a friend but more than that. I agree that currently it is very important to him to know, how HS perceived him as a person and definitely as a man. I also agree that HS is feeling empathy towards him at that time and not the same as what he is feeling towards her. So, in conclusion I agree with you why he was mad at the way she looked at him at that moment. :) WS does need to love himself first before he is able to love others.  Last but not least, 

“The eyes are the mirror of the soul and reflect everything that seems to be hidden; and like a mirror, they also reflect the person looking into them.” - Paulo Coelho, Manuscript found in Accra.

• Like 18

34 minutes ago, gihwayujo said:

i decided i'd translate the names of the other princes :) i am by no means an expert but i'm trying my best here combining what i can from chinese and korean sources:

Oh thank you! You are the best! ^_^ Interesting to read. And yes...Baek Ah's real name is Wang Wook also. :lol:

• Like 8

@KdramaSwimmer 

i'm actually poking around in the chinese wikipedia page for the drama: https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/月之戀人-步步驚心:麗

i don't know how legit the hanja provided is. i do know that kang ha neul's name does not have hanja since his name is native korean and does not use sino-korean words so he shows up with phonetic chinese chracters in chinese promos. the chinese translation could have just stuck any word to hae soo's name for the sake of creating a phonetic reading...

however...

hae soo's name...according to this wiki....

it means TREE.

解樹

*looks at @Joongier post *

if you even want to consider her family name hae...it means understanding....

HAHAHA.

• Like 15