[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

27 minutes ago, qwenli said:

am trying to back read but cant catch up fast enough.

@solelylurking I fully understand the feeling of falling in love with the characters and wanting to ship the couples. I do so fall in love with some drama characters madly. Its always nice for co-actors to like each other so that the chemistry on screen will be good. I think part of the success of some recent dramas like dots is due in a part to actors who are single in life and viewers can ship all they want.

I just want to say to view any actor as being in love with a co-star so that they act very well in the show, is somehow abit of a discredit to the director's editing and an actor's acting abilities. KHN is a really talented actor, I saw him in Misaeng and abit in Empire of Lust and he look just like the character he is supposed to portray. In both shows, he was a villain. Considering he has debut for 10 years and his extensive training in theatre, his accumulated experience is quite substantial. From the Scarlet hearts interviews, when I compare them to his 8th prince character, his real life character seems very different, which shows his awesome ability to morph into anything. 

Certainly we can still ship the characters together, but seriously, kissing, hugging and holding hands is par for norm and part of an actor's job. They dont see it the same way as us daily people. :sweatingbullets: 

I am not saying they dont like each other as friends, but for IU, I can see that despite being surrounded by a bunch of goodlooking hot bods and handsome guys, she doesnt seems the least affected, she didnt giggle, talk nonsense, act coy or flirt with any of them (unfortunately) in the cosmopolitan interview, photoshoot or bts. She answer her questions clearly and smoothly without being arrogant nor being too humble. Seems like she has a clear head on her shoulders, which is quite incredible for her age. :)

That's what I'm talking about earlier. She is not lovey dovey or anything. And KHN may not even be in love with her. It's just me who saying that as his fans... If, and only if, KHN likes her I don't think the feeling is mutual. 

Ok. I rest my case about this. I'm sorry if I stirred something unwanted here and cause a ruckus. It was a harmless (well at least meant to be) comment from my part and doesn't consider any of the actors since I don't know any of them personally. To those of you who feel offended or not liking my comment, I apologized from the bottom of my heart and I will refrain myself from making such comment in the future. Clearly it is not something that can be talk about as a fun thing. From now on strictly to the drama or mesmerazing LJK's face and all the actors performances. :P:D

Happy virus everyone... \^0^/ (It will be better if WS also doing it instead only giving instruction but oh well, Wang Eun and Wang Jung are cutsy too).

I bow down from this argument. Thank you @qwenli and @Gabi Bros 

• Like 13

I feel like the korean vers is more based on the romance whereas the chinese vers was more political.. since it seems like no one is greedy for the throne other than the queen for her son. But anything can happen in the next 16 eps

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, zerovk9x said:

As for ep 6 preview, we are guessing that WS and WW may work together to help HS get rid of the marriage she is forced into. It may be their plan to let the real HS run away with WS when WW is taking a decoy with him to distract the guards.

OMG! I hope your theory is true!! and then WS and HS will elope! :">:wub::wub::wub:

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, matchacake said:

Youku view count is now at 581,318,777.

This is crazy. That's more than 100 million since 6-7 hours ago!

Is it good ? I'm sorry i dont really know about the youku view :(

1 hour ago, skxz said:

I am so excited for the scene where Hae Soo removes So's mask. Like So stated in Ep 5 he isn't looking for someone of high value (i.e. has power) but someone who will treasure him and someone who would not be concerned with the scar he has on his face. Soo definitely fits the description I mean he probably had her in mind when he said that. 

The mask removal scene is symbolic of So's acceptance of himself and that he no longer has to hide behind a mask. The scar on his face is a constant reminder of the lack of love and acceptance from his mother and those around him. Her action of removing his mask is a final push for him to realise that he has a worth and that no matter the flaws in his physical appearance it is all the intangible things that draw her to him. Soo is his anchor. She makes him happy and keeps him sane. She shows him what being loved and cared for feels like and that wanting to live is not a crime but a right.

My gosh after writing this I think I've become a So/Soo shipper but I know once I see Soo and Wook interact I'm gonna get swayed again 어떡해. I can't wait why is it not Monday already?!?

I become SoSoo shipper after watching LJK acting at ep 1. Is it in preview ep 6? I cant wait for Soo for open So mask. Finally i can see handsome LJK \^0^/. 

• Like 22

Maybe evil Queen Yoo will get involved and tell So that she will disrupt Soo's marriage plans if he leaves the palace? We know she will stoop to anything to make So miserable. :( What a woman - she makes dementors seem warm and friendly...

• Like 24

18 minutes ago, hazzle said:

I become SoSoo shipper after watching LJK acting at ep 1. Is it in preview ep 6? I cant wait for Soo for open So mask. Finally i can see handsome LJK \^0^/. 

Haha I'm having a hard time choosing my ship cause I love both LJK and KHN and I love their characters and I'm just confused. I have to say that I and probably a So/Soo shipper but I'm always swayed when Wook shares scenes with Soo. It's just something about how she changes when she's around him and it's so cute. 

And no this is not the Ep 6 preview it's in the 7 minute preview which released before the series started. A lot of us hardcore fans have tried to decipher and figure out what will happen through watching that trailer and it's been great seeing everyone's interpretation. 

Yes can't wait to be able to see LJK's full face and close up cause we know that the director loves his close ups haha :) 

• Like 16

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@MadraRua  faint pink mouseI am almost dying blood pink mousebecause I would like so much to  watch the scene Wang So and Hae Soo in the cottage white cloudand she is taking his mask and the kiss scene!! crazy monkey

@bebebisous33  I too amm  dying onion headdying onion head To see that scene with Wang So and Hae Soo alone in the cottage. They looked so cute together. When I see these two scene I will be so  happy onion headhappy onion headI have no idea what i will do when I see it. 

• Like 24

1 hour ago, ruizaio said:

I don't know if this scene was filmed and then left out or if it didn't get shot at all, but in an early version of the scripts that had been leaked, there was a scene right before Chae Ryung was beaten by the princess and her maidens. It shows how a bond forms between Baek Ah (13th) and So and hints at So's mettle for kingship. Basically, Prince 3 (Yo) insults Prince 13 (Baek Ah) as Baek Ah's mother is from the royal family of the fallen dynasty of Silla. So subtly comes to Baek Ah's defense, and they walk together. This is why they appear together when So comes to the rescue when Soo is being beaten by the princess.

The following is a rough translation of the scene:

Hide contents

Prince 3: I called you all here because His Majesty has starved the camel that was sent as a gift by the Khitans to death. Petitions are flying in from all ranks of court officials. We should do something to support His Majesty.

Prince 14: (Unhappy) They're so afraid of having a war with the puny Khitans. Those pathetic figureheads need to be offed first.

Prince 10: By the way, did the camel really die? I guess it takes quite a few days for it to starve to death... Now that it's happened, they should just distribute its meat to the starving people.

Prince 9: Nonsense! We might have a war domestically! Ever since the Khitans stopped bringing in horses, the price of horses has gone through the roof! We can't have war without horses for the army.

Prince 10: I believe you're talking about horses for racing, not the army. For your betting.

Prince 9: (Menacing look)

Prince 8: We must support His Majesty as he looks into improving our diplomatic relation with Later Jin as we burned our bridge with the Khitans. This is a good chance to change the direction of our diplomatcy.

Prince 13: The Khitans destroyed Balhae. As we come from the same ancestry as Balhae, of course we should cut ties with the Khitans.

Prince 3: Take a huge loss just for the sake of a ruined kingdom? (Looking at Prince 13) As if Silla wasn't enough, now even Balhae? Sure, we may come from the same ancestors. They're basically like distant relatives that are dirt poor and try to mooch off of you.

Prince 13: (Clenches his fists, but can't say anything) ...

Prince 4: You're right, brother 3. 

Prince 3: (Surprised)

Prince 4: However, whether the owner of the treasury decides to offer some of the wealth to the poor relatives or to feed to the dogs, it's all up to the owner. Instead of just exchanging empty words here without being able to voice anything in front of the actual owner of the treasury, why don't we just go take a look at the dead camel? As 10th brother said, let's see if it's edible at all. Baek Ah, shall we go?

Prince 13: (Stands up hastily) Yes, let's do that, Brother.

As Princes 4 and 13 leave, Prince 8 smiles as he drinks tea.

Prince 3: (Clenches the teacup and shudders) That insolent buffoon.

Prince 10: (To Prince 9) See! Even Brother 4 wants to know if camel meat is edible.

Prince 9: (Shut up!! Nudging)

Prince 14: (Looks at his brothers, worried)

Garden of Prince 8's house

Princes 4 and 13 are walking.

Prince 13: Thank you, Brother.

Prince 4: No need to thank me; I don't help people. I just hate the attitude of sucking up to those with power and oppressing the weak. 

Prince 13: (Bitter) You become a commoner or a slave based on your mother's station... Even though I'm treated as a prince, I'm no different from a slave. Even though we all have the same father, our stations are so different.

Prince 4: ...if you were a slave and not a prince, you wouldn't have had to serve your father as the owner of the treasury. At least you don't have to worry about when you might have your next meal. Take that as a consolation.

Prince 13: (Looks at Prince 4 with fresh eyes. Feels a little closer to him)

They get closer to each other as they continue walking.

This excerpt is written in a tone that is very different from the episodes we've seen so far. The lines sound more Sageuk-like and the vocabulary used is way more advanced than what is actually spoken in the drama. So I can understand that the scripts may have been totally revamped before they started shooting and that this scene may have been cut out totally. I just hope that they'll include enough scenes in the future that show more about how So prepares himself to be king... 

Oh..no..why did the cut the scene?it really looks like the main theme of the novel..fight for the throne...and it showa the political views of the princes..oh well,I'm sure the production team have a good reason for that.

• Like 11

You guys are so active, I wake up this morning and see the page has hit 300 pages! Was reading on 286 yesterday then decided to sleep even though I want to read them all, hehehe...

So, I skimmed through the thread and I agree that Lee Junki's acting skills are top notch. All the young actors and actresses acting are not bad, but Lee Junki acting makes everyone's acting looks average. Maybe because he has been in the industry longer and he seems to take on various roles, so his acting range is pretty wide already. I think the one who can be on par with Lee Junki in the same scene in this drama are either actress who played Queen Yoo and or Kang Haneul. They did a good job on intense scenes, although Lee Junki's reaction is what made them all so intense. On the other hand, I think IU's acting compared to Lee Junki does look weak...at first, but somehow I gradually feel that it fits Hae Soo, it also fits the situation they were in for those scenes. I was wondering if there are any actress that can play Hae Soo better, but for now I can't imagine anyone else. As for Baekhyun, I'm glad for him to take on the 10th role, he's pretty cute and hilarious as Wang Eun, I get giddy when I see him with Hae Soo, like, "Why you so cuuute, 10th??"

Also, whoever posted that Kang Haneul-IU photos under the same umbrella, THANK YOU! Gooooosh, they are so cute as well in real life! Time to save the pics and gifs that are posted here~~~~

• Like 22

56 minutes ago, kimmistalks said:

Hey @elviraxxx, I also thought that YH genuinely likes WS during the first 4 episodes but the convo that YH and WY had about WS makes me think that she is only using WS for political reasons and entertainment. This convo just made me really angry because they were referring to WS as an animal. when in fact they're the ones acting like animals. 

YH is on another level of evil though, because even WY was taken aback at YH's thought of "taming" WS. Every episode I just hate her more >.<

I had the same thought as yours at first when watching the scene of YH helping WS treat his wound, supposing her feelings for him was genuine. Then I was kinda shocked at what she said to WY because it turns out to her WS is just an animal to tame and she finds it entertaining to train him into human. It disgusts me to look at the smug on her face when she is saying that. Yes you're right, their cruelty and scorn towards inferior people make them much much worse than any kind of animal they're comparing WS to, but unfortunately they're too full of themselves to realize that.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, ossy91 said:
  Hide contents
Cut

Something happen with haesoo next week ??? 

Hide contents
Cut

Bandage in her wrist??

Wow, such an eagle eye...

2 hours ago, ruizaio said:

I don't know if this scene was filmed and then left out or if it didn't get shot at all, but in an early version of the scripts that had been leaked, there was a scene right before Chae Ryung was beaten by the princess and her maidens. It shows how a bond forms between Baek Ah (13th) and So and hints at So's mettle for kingship. Basically, Prince 3 (Yo) insults Prince 13 (Baek Ah) as Baek Ah's mother is from the royal family of the fallen dynasty of Silla. So subtly comes to Baek Ah's defense, and they walk together. This is why they appear together when So comes to the rescue when Soo is being beaten by the princess.

The following is a rough translation of the scene:

Hide contents

Cut

This excerpt is written in a tone that is very different from the episodes we've seen so far. The lines sound more Sageuk-like and the vocabulary used is way more advanced than what is actually spoken in the drama. So I can understand that the scripts may have been totally revamped before they started shooting and that this scene may have been cut out totally. I just hope that they'll include enough scenes in the future that show more about how So prepares himself to be king... 

So sad that this scene get cut, it explain well why BaekAh 13th and So 4th come together and start their relationship (em, I mean their bromance).

Sorry to cut your post

Another common criticism on SH:R in Korea is about the colorful costumes of the princes (comparing them to Power Rangers or Teletubbies), but the rules about court attire doesn't get established until the reign of King 4 (our beloved So)! 

Hope this helps you understand the context of our drama.

I laugh so hard because of this... I do notice the colorful color of their outfit but never recall it as Power Ranger or even Teletubbies. Hahaha...

Oh ya I found this... (could be happen in next week ep to because HaeSoo wearing the yellow mustard maid clothes)

As So2 couple shipper, I was a bit heartbroken.

HSWW.png

• Like 20

A bit more about history. Some of the info may be historical spoilers.

This drama is set in the early stages of Goryeo, whth emerged as Silla fell. I.n fact, Wang Geon didn't even start out wanting to be king. He was helping someone else (Gung Ye) do that, but when Gung Ye became mad after founding his own kingdom, Wang Geon decided to step in and take over.

This means, any other powerful clans that helped him or not in the founding of Goryeo could challenge his throne. He overthrew a king, why couldn't they? So Wang Geon chose to marry many of the daughters of such clans (he had about 29 wives?), and also had children of the important families stay in the capital as wards (hostages). 

His first queen did not have any children. His second wife was someone he met before he became king, and she was from a more obscure family. She gave birth to his first son Mu, the Crown Prince of our drama. He supposedly had a lot of wrinkles on his face, which invited a lot of criticism of some powerful officials saying that he wasn't fit to be king. This explains why in our drama, So's facial scars are seen as such a disgrace and a disqualifying factor for his claim to the throne. The biggest weakness of Mu was that his mother was not from a powerful clan. Even his wife (he and Yo were the only princes of Geon that married outside of their family. The clans wanted to have the future queen come from one of them) was from a clan that wasn't so powerful, so he didn't really have mich support.

Wang Geon's third queen (the evil one in our drama) was from a very powerful clan (Yu), and gave him 5 sons. The first one died, the second one is Yo (eyeliner prince), third one is So and the fourth is Jung. She also had two daughters, one of which got mentioned recently in episode 5. To absorb Silla peacefully rather than forcibly, Geon offered his daughter to the last king of Silla as wife. Many royalty and nobility members of the Silla dynasty embraced Goryeo and maintained their privileged status. Lady Hae in our deama is supposed to be from one of those families, and that's why she and Wook2 (Baek Ah/Prince 13 in our drama) grew up close together as his mother was a Silla royalty. I have explained before that So was given to Lady Kang of Shinju as an adopted son when she lost her own son. 

Wang Geon's fourth queen was also from a very powerful clan (Hwangbo) and had a son (Wook1 - Prince 8 in our drama) and a daughter (Yeon Hwa in our drama) who marries Prince 4. So historically, Prince 4 had the support of three powerful clans to help him take the throne: his birth mother's, his adopted mother's, and his wife's. At the time, because he had two older brothers who seemed likely to inherit the throne, the clans were OK with him marrying his half sister.

Basically, most of the female members born in the Goryeo royal family ended up marrying their half siblings, cousins, uncles, or nephews. For example, Prince Wook2 has an affair with one of the daughters of Wook1 and their illegitimate child becomes king later on, but that's a different drama. This was to keep the bloodline pure and prevent any other families from gaining too much power as the family of a queen or grandparents of a future king. Silla also had a similar (actually more stricter at first) practice, although they had three royal families they could intermarry so it wasn't as pronounced.

What complicates things even further is that before he died, Wang Geon basically said that the throne should be passed on to a brother instead of a son of the previous king if the brother is qualified. Who decides who is qualified to be king? The powerful clans of course!

So yeah, right now, Goryeo is a fledgling kingdom with a weak throne where the legal system isn't fully established yet and other clans felt like they could still do whatever they wanted (hence the bold attack on Prince Jung in episode 4). Another common criticism on SH:R in Korea is about the colorful costumes of the princes (comparing them to Power Rangers or Teletubbies), but the rules about court attire doesn't get established until the reign of King 4 (our beloved So)! 

Hope this helps you understand the context of our drama.

Thabk you so much for giving so much details abt history and after reading thia I am more curious abt Goreyo dynasty as whole and will do research on IT.

• Like 16

56 minutes ago, KdramaSwimmer said:

Guyssss I just woke up after 6 hours of sleep and will you belive what I saw in my dreams....you would not I know.

I myself finding it hard to digest being a kdrama fanatic for last 7 years It has never happened with me to have a dream of OTP that too kissing. Yes I did had imagination how it would look like but having a full fledged dream is first.... and it was SO SO GOOD......and here it goes...

I saw WS in some place and other side of window  with vertical bars with good space between each bar(no idea why its there what happened before is wiped out my memory) HS comes there and they had some word exchange and HS looking down, looking sad and disaaponited. And then all of a sudden WS comes forward, looks at her with his cute smile, holding windows bars and goes for kiss...and it was so good of passionate one, just awesome - sizzling (ahh I am shocked). And next scene is of some modern time like reporters all around and here I woke up.

and I couldn't contain the excitement to share it here with you.

my scarlet dreams wishing worked for me...

Hahaha what a dream! Thanks for sharing! :lol:

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, Aya Assyifa said:

Hello chingguu..

it's my first post in this thread. i've been a silent reader since ep 1. but now, i can help but joining you all in this wonderfull thread. this thread really moving so fast. i was like reading the 280 page and went to sleep, and when i woke up this morning it has reached the 300th page.. i can't help but skipping..

i'd like to sharw my thought about the ep 4. my fave scene so far is when Soo bumped So in the middle of the pond (is it a bridge?), when HS told WS to never call her his belonging anymore. WS asked her "why not?" and when HS answered that she's a human not an item or animal, WS face turn to be satisfied. I thougt he was waiting for HS to say that she belongs to someone else. but with HS answered like that, it gave him a signal that HS hasn't taken yet.

Ohhh, i really love that scene that i rewatched it over and over

Historically, Gwangjong (So) implements a law that frees some slaves (and his queen -YH in our drama- opposes it). It would make sense to connect it with Soo's influence on him in our drama. Too bad his son basically reverses that law.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, matchacake said:

Youku view count is now at 581,318,777.

This is crazy. That's more than 100 million since 6-7 hours ago!

The numbers are really mind boggling. It's about 100mil per episode then. More then the population of some countries :D

• Like 17