[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

About Haesoo's feeling to Wang wook, I think Haesoo fascinated with attitude and personality Wang wook. (First love *type)

But her feeling to Wang so is different . She accept him as real Wang so. Even he has a bad guy image but she try to make him better so everyone not be scared to him and but respect him. (Married couple type*)

• Like 17

3 hours ago, ruizaio said:

A bit more about history. Some of the info may be historical spoilers.

This drama is set in the early stages of Goryeo, which emerged as Silla fell. In fact, Wang Geon didn't even start out wanting to be king. He was helping someone else (Gung Ye) do that, but when Gung Ye became mad after founding his own kingdom, Wang Geon decided to step in and take over.

This means, any other powerful clans that helped him or not in the founding of Goryeo could challenge his throne. He overthrew a king, why couldn't they? So Wang Geon chose to marry many of the daughters of such clans (he had about 29 wives?), and also had children of the important families stay in the capital as wards (hostages). 

His first queen did not have any children. His second wife was someone he met before he became king, and she was from a more obscure family. She gave birth to his first son Mu, the Crown Prince of our drama. He supposedly had a lot of wrinkles on his face, which invited a lot of criticism of some powerful officials saying that he wasn't fit to be king. This explains why in our drama, So's facial scars are seen as such a disgrace and a disqualifying factor for his claim to the throne. The biggest weakness of Mu was that his mother was not from a powerful clan. Even his wife (he and Yo were the only princes of Geon that married outside of their family. The clans wanted to have the future queen come from one of them) was from a clan that wasn't so powerful, so he didn't really have mich support.

Wang Geon's third queen (the evil one in our drama) was from a very powerful clan (Yu), and gave him 5 sons. The first one died, the second one is Yo (eyeliner prince), third one is So and the fourth is Jung. She also had two daughters, one of which got mentioned recently in episode 5. To absorb Silla peacefully rather than forcibly, Geon offered his daughter to the last king of Silla as wife. Many royalty and nobility members of the Silla dynasty embraced Goryeo and maintained their privileged status. Lady Hae in our deama is supposed to be from one of those families, and that's why she and Wook2 (Baek Ah/Prince 13 in our drama) grew up close together as his mother was a Silla royalty. I have explained before that So was given to Lady Kang of Shinju as an adopted son when she lost her own son. 

Wang Geon's fourth queen was also from a very powerful clan (Hwangbo) and had a son (Wook1 - Prince 8 in our drama) and a daughter (Yeon Hwa in our drama) who marries Prince 4. So historically, Prince 4 had the support of three powerful clans to help him take the throne: his birth mother's, his adopted mother's, and his wife's. At the time, because he had two older brothers who seemed likely to inherit the throne, the clans were OK with him marrying his half sister.

Basically, most of the female members born in the Goryeo royal family ended up marrying their half siblings, cousins, uncles, or nephews. For example, Prince Wook2 has an affair with one of the daughters of Wook1 and their illegitimate child becomes king later on, but that's a different drama. This was to keep the bloodline pure and prevent any other families from gaining too much power as the family of a queen or grandparents of a future king. Silla also had a similar (actually more stricter at first) practice, although they had three royal families they could intermarry so it wasn't as pronounced.

What complicates things even further is that before he died, Wang Geon basically said that the throne should be passed on to a brother instead of a son of the previous king if the brother is qualified. Who decides who is qualified to be king? The powerful clans of course!

So yeah, right now, Goryeo is a fledgling kingdom with a weak throne where the legal system isn't fully established yet and other clans felt like they could still do whatever they wanted (hence the bold attack on Prince Jung in episode 4). Another common criticism on SH:R in Korea is about the colorful costumes of the princes (comparing them to Power Rangers or Teletubbies), but the rules about court attire doesn't get established until the reign of King 4 (our beloved So)! 

Hope this helps you understand the context of our drama.

WOW!! that is so detail!

thank you for this, i guess the storyline will follow some rough idea of the historical sense? So it means that So will marry his half sister? but then again HS is not a real historical character so i am wondering how now will the story change.

That has always been my confusion, how closely will the drama follow the real history..:confused:

4 hours ago, ruizaio said:

I don't know if this scene was filmed and then left out or if it didn't get shot at all, but in an early version of the scripts that had been leaked, there was a scene right before Chae Ryung was beaten by the princess and her maidens. It shows how a bond forms between Baek Ah (13th) and So and hints at So's mettle for kingship. Basically, Prince 3 (Yo) insults Prince 13 (Baek Ah) as Baek Ah's mother is from the royal family of the fallen dynasty of Silla. So subtly comes to Baek Ah's defense, and they walk together. This is why they appear together when So comes to the rescue when Soo is being beaten by the princess.

The following is a rough translation of the scene:

Reveal hidden contents

Prince 3: I called you all here because His Majesty has starved the camel that was sent as a gift by the Khitans to death. Petitions are flying in from all ranks of court officials. We should do something to support His Majesty.

Prince 14: (Unhappy) They're so afraid of having a war with the puny Khitans. Those pathetic figureheads need to be offed first.

Prince 10: By the way, did the camel really die? I guess it takes quite a few days for it to starve to death... Now that it's happened, they should just distribute its meat to the starving people.

Prince 9: Nonsense! We might have a war domestically! Ever since the Khitans stopped bringing in horses, the price of horses has gone through the roof! We can't have war without horses for the army.

Prince 10: I believe you're talking about horses for racing, not the army. For your betting.

Prince 9: (Menacing look)

Prince 8: We must support His Majesty as he looks into improving our diplomatic relation with Later Jin as we burned our bridge with the Khitans. This is a good chance to change the direction of our diplomatcy.

Prince 13: The Khitans destroyed Balhae. As we come from the same ancestry as Balhae, of course we should cut ties with the Khitans.

Prince 3: Take a huge loss just for the sake of a ruined kingdom? (Looking at Prince 13) As if Silla wasn't enough, now even Balhae? Sure, we may come from the same ancestors. They're basically like distant relatives that are dirt poor and try to mooch off of you.

Prince 13: (Clenches his fists, but can't say anything) ...

Prince 4: You're right, brother 3. 

Prince 3: (Surprised)

Prince 4: However, whether the owner of the treasury decides to offer some of the wealth to the poor relatives or to feed to the dogs, it's all up to the owner. Instead of just exchanging empty words here without being able to voice anything in front of the actual owner of the treasury, why don't we just go take a look at the dead camel? As 10th brother said, let's see if it's edible at all. Baek Ah, shall we go?

Prince 13: (Stands up hastily) Yes, let's do that, Brother.

As Princes 4 and 13 leave, Prince 8 smiles as he drinks tea.

Prince 3: (Clenches the teacup and shudders) That insolent buffoon.

Prince 10: (To Prince 9) See! Even Brother 4 wants to know if camel meat is edible.

Prince 9: (Shut up!! Nudging)

Prince 14: (Looks at his brothers, worried)

Garden of Prince 8's house

Princes 4 and 13 are walking.

Prince 13: Thank you, Brother.

Prince 4: No need to thank me; I don't help people. I just hate the attitude of sucking up to those with power and oppressing the weak. 

Prince 13: (Bitter) You become a commoner or a slave based on your mother's station... Even though I'm treated as a prince, I'm no different from a slave. Even though we all have the same father, our stations are so different.

Prince 4: ...if you were a slave and not a prince, you wouldn't have had to serve your father as the owner of the treasury. At least you don't have to worry about when you might have your next meal. Take that as a consolation.

Prince 13: (Looks at Prince 4 with fresh eyes. Feels a little closer to him)

They get closer to each other as they continue walking.

This excerpt is written in a tone that is very different from the episodes we've seen so far. The lines sound more Sageuk-like and the vocabulary used is way more advanced than what is actually spoken in the drama. So I can understand that the scripts may have been totally revamped before they started shooting and that this scene may have been cut out totally. I just hope that they'll include enough scenes in the future that show more about how So prepares himself to be king... 

thank you for this! I was wondering in that scene before IU got whipped how come the 4th and the 13th were together. So there was a scene like this before that.

thats a bit sad, i would have actually enjoyed seeing So interactions with his brothers more. Since he is always practically an outsider, it is nice to see him have some peaceful interactions with his brothers. And i like how mature So is in this scene.

:cry:

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, kaoriharang said:

WOW!! that is so detail!

thank you for this, i guess the storyline will follow some rough idea of the historical sense? So it means that So will marry his half sister? but then again HS is not a real historical character so i am wondering how now will the story change.

That has always been my confusion, how closely will the drama follow the real history..:confused:

Maybe the story will not reach the part where So will marry YH and just "end" (the Goryeo part) in HS traveling back to the present, assuming that she will return to modern day.

• Like 13

I must admit that I was never a fan of LJK nor did I find him handsome or good looking. The only drama that I watched with him in it was My Girl. I found him too feminine looking. But oh boy, these days I kept gushing about how handsome he is. :blush: and on top of that, I am definitely blown away by his acting. Totally top notch, especially in the first part of Ep 4. He irrevocably owned those scenes.

That aside, I wonder if the drama will go the route of

Spoiler

The King ordering HaeSoo to marry 14th just like in C ver. I would love to see that because of that one sentence she said when 4th asked her why she did not follow through with the King's order and rather offend the King and suffer in the laundry dept. She replied (the heart is not willing). I think that really shows how deep her feelings for 4th ran. :tears:

• Like 18

3 hours ago, kdramakrazy said:

btw, can anyone explain the chinese streaming numbers to me ?

Someone on koala posted a comment saying that on a chinese site IQIYI, DOTS- 42 billion, heirs - 3.6 billion, MLFAS - 36 billion..  Whats the difference between IQIYI and youku ? How are we really doing?

@kdramakrazy I'm not in China but have accessed these websites and here is what I know. iqiyi and youku are two different online entertainment streaming websites where some dramas and movies (chinese, Korean, Thai, Taiwan, Hong King, US, Japanese anamie) are free and some need monthly VIP subscriptions. Some of their free dramas can be accessed from US but some were blocked (determine by IP address I guess). There are also other streaming websites like LeTV. Not all websites have rights to show every drama. For MLSHR, currently only youku have official streaming priviledge. On IQIYI, only previews of MLSHR (including upcoming episodes) can be found and I wouldn't count those no as actual # and compare with other  completely brocasted series but it means even previews have been watched many times. 

On youku, MLSHR has total of 590 million hit and second highest watched drama in this WEEK after just completed 30 episodes chinese drama 'one smiling is alluring' and yesterday alone was 885,000 hits. Currently, the highest watched K-drama  with complete episodes on youku is "Doctors" (the one with PSH & KWB I think, didn't watch) but they don't have all K-dramas available like DoTS. I think DoTS is currently streaming on iqiyi and haven't finished streaming all episodes yet though I'm pretty sure a lot of Chinese have watched it via backdoors. Anyhow, we can't compare all the currently airing K-dramas or with completed K-dramas on China websites since only MLSHR is streaming on youku and not One Single site has all the dramas broadcasted in SK. 

I hope this helps!!! :D

• Like 14

46 minutes ago, lavendre said:

I must admit that I was never a fan of LJK nor did I find him handsome or good looking. The only drama that I watched with him in it was My Girl. I found him too feminine looking. But oh boy, these days I kept gushing about how handsome he is. :blush: and on top of that, I am definitely blown away by his acting. Totally top notch, especially in the first part of Ep 4. He irrevocably owned those scenes.

That aside, I wonder if the drama will go the route of

Reveal hidden contents

The King ordering HaeSoo to marry 14th just like in C ver. I would love to see that because of that one sentence she said when 4th asked her why she did not follow through with the King's order and rather offend the King and suffer in the laundry dept. She replied (the heart is not willing). I think that really shows how deep her feelings for 4th ran. :tears:

I quite agree, last time he always came across a bit to girly. But now i am really impress by the way he is portraying his character. such a torm character, really beautiful to watch!

and really he is the reason why i began watching and am still watching this drama.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, LyraYoo said:

per IQYI, the ranking is actually good (If my understanding is correct IQYI is index measuring topic / trending contents similar to CPI used by Korea . (If someone would want to clarify, we will be delighted ^^)

Lee Jun Ki / IU / Jiang river that

Youku is a different avenue because we are already talking about views. This is similar to what is trending or not in Youtube or Navercast. 

oh! that makes sense. Thank you. Because i didn't get how they could get "views" from something that is an index. according to this person even oh my ghostess got 4 billion. which to me seemed rather ridiculous.

• Like 7

Chingus!!! so I put this beautiful face of LJG at my profile pic on BBM when he held a sword look from side (can someone told me how to insert pics please??) ..and my friends were like..what is that? the pic is very beautiful,Kdrama? she asked..then I told her about MLSHR..and looks like she already had an interest but didn't watch it yet, I think she's going to do it now..yeayyy!! spread it to the world..hehehe.

I always wondering..why is the queen/empress in the monarch or even a king in a historical/period drama..had to be so sly & tricky? Very smart but also very very cunning like a snake..maybe it is needed to stay survive?to make sure that noone could ever overthrow them or made them as a puppet? or is it only in a drama? but then again,on 2nd thought,an honest leader even though loved by ppl,if he's not smart enough to manipulate others a.ka. act tricky when needed, could easily be replaced. That's a common practice around the world..that's why I don't like politics. And maybe one of the reason why the characters for queens/kings or in this case in our favourite drama,Queen Yoo & Princess YeonHwa,described like that (evil,sly,cunning etc). Just a simple thought of me :)

• Like 14

1 hour ago, KdramaSwimmer said:

first of sorry for replying to it late and thanks for liking my posts eventhough its nothing in front of how marvelously you do the detailed analysis.....i was waiting to finish epi5 so that I can have all data to put it here.

1. WS addressing HS as Aayi (child), i agree he still does not have any romantic feelings attached but he just want to be her guardian (as HSs sister died) to make sure of her safety. And that includes her being his friend/ally.

2. I still doubt that was the case cause when WS had that interaction with YH cause his eyes did not have that spark when you have someone special or whom you thought you want to make special (LJK is good with expressions so he could not miss if this was supposed to be visible). he was just looking at infinity with eyes not having clear focus as if he himself is confused who to look for with this expectation.

3. I am also curious about it, why that question was put and only after knowing the reason it can be deciphered to find the emotions involved in it. So for now I can only say that WS was concerned about HS and wants to know how much WW (did we see WS putting it to WW or was it just voice over, cause if voice over possible it was asked to the person HS is going to marry...wild guess)

4. and that last part is perfect that WS wants to confirm he would not hurt anyone if he will be moving towards HS with his future in mind.

5. I have couple of inputs so far regarding YH and WS's expectation from their better half. They both want someone who can treasure them. And in the case when both want to be treasured it would be like ego play if get in marriage bond cause one will always have expectation in eyes to treasure him/her (while other would be expecting the same) that will tough to fulfilled and it will end up with disappointment and hitting marriage badly.

So in my view one should be ready to treasure the other one , his dreams, expectation and that will make the couple in perfect balance. And other one when gets all such selfless love and care will gradually heal emotionally and can fulfill first ones emotional needs.This marriage or relationship will go all the way to a happy future ahead.

A perfect couple has that understanding to change modes to know when who needs healing and support and other doing it then and later when other one needs it first one can do the same. So thay can switch roles from treasurer and treasured based upon the timing n requirement. But if both are too strong headed to step down n only want be treasured always then this will not work in long term (And we know WS and YH both are strong headed)

Thanks for the compliment cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532and I would like to add that what you describe in the point 5 corresponds to the couple Yeon Hwa and Wang So. In my opinion, Yeon Hwa is looking for someone who will love and respect her. When she used the word "value", she only took it from prince Yo again. From my point of view, Yeon Hwa doesn't want to share the same fate than her own mother. The latter was the Queen and Taejo's wife among others therefore she could be banished. I believe, the banishment from the palace was something painful for Yeon Hwa as she witnessed how quickly her mother could fall from Taejo's graces. From my point of view, she wants to have an exclusive relationship with her future husband and is looking for someone who will depend from her as well. That's why she is interested in Wang So too. She knows, he is alone and he must feel lonely therefore she tried to take care of him. But her motivation is that she is showing kindness and interest to Wang So so that he will feel endebted towards her. So her motivation is rather selfish which distinguishes her from Hae Soo who has no ulterior motives. On the other hand, Wang So is looking for someone who will love him. Both are looking for the same kind of person but they are all expecting love and respect from their partner. That's their problem because they are first thinking  about themselves. However, Wang So has not realised yet that he is already on the giving side: he is taking care of Hae Soo, although she never asked him. That's why he is falling in love with her without noticing it. She showed him care and concern in his worst moment.

Finally I do think like @ChyuuNyuu that Wang So was expressing that he considered her as a human so in my opinion, he showed her great respect. When he mentioned it, I couldn't help thinking that he was repeating Hae Soo's words: she is not a possession or a thing, but a person. For me, we could see Hae Soo's influence in this scene too. 

• Like 21

55 minutes ago, kyar7jizhenll said:

@kdramakrazy I'm not in China but have accessed these websites and here is what I know. iqiyi and youku are two different online entertainment streaming websites where some dramas and movies (chinese, Korean, Thai, Taiwan, Hong King, US, Japanese anamie) are free and some need monthly VIP subscriptions. Some of their free dramas can be accessed from US but some were blocked (determine by IP address I guess). There are also other streaming websites like LeTV. Not all websites have rights to show every drama. For MLSHR, currently only youku have official streaming priviledge. On IQIYI, only previews of MLSHR (including upcoming episodes) can be found and I wouldn't count those no as actual # and compare with other  completely brocasted series but it means even previews have been watched many times. 

On youku, MLSHR has total of 590 million total hit and second highest watched drama in this WEEK after just completed 30 episodes chinese drama 'one smiling is alluring) and yesterday alone was 885,000 hits. Currently, the highest watched K-drama  with complete episodes on youku is "Doctors" (the one with PSH & KWB I think, didn't watch) but they don't have all K-dramas available like no DoTS. I think DoTS is currently streaming on iqiyi and haven't finished streaming yet though I'm pretty sure a lot of Chinese have watched it via backdoors. Anyhow, we can't compare all the currently airing K-dramas or with completed K-dramas on China websites since only MLSHR is streaming on youku and not One Single site has all the dramas broadcasted in SK. 

I hope this helps!!! :D

Thank you this explains a  lot. its really hard to decipher ratings in your own country let alone another. this really helped

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ossy91 said:

About Haesoo's feeling to Wang wook, I think Haesoo fascinated with attitude and personality Wang wook. (First love *type)

But her feeling to Wang so is different . She accept him as real Wang so. Even he has a bad guy image but she try to make him better so everyone not be scared to him and but respect him. (Married couple type*)

First love type.....? What first love?? I think 8th prince only a landlord to haesoo XD jokkkeee :P

20160908_154358.jpg

• Like 18

@MadraRua wowww those gifs...my fav the last one...am i only one feeling the desperation in WSs pulling her closer (how manly he did that) and his eyes like shooting lasers at her face.

Ok so now got the reason behind desperation it was after that mask was hijacked by HS...and WS must have seen his beauty himself and wanted to thank the genius who made it possible and wanted to give her a kiss...is it ???

• Like 22

I'm excited and curious on how 13th would bond with Hae Soo. In the latest episode, 13th seemed really mad about her obliviousness towards 8th's intentions through the poem, and it seems that he's also mad on behalf of Lady Hae...like, he was so mad, not even a simple sorry would sway him. How do they sit down and have a drink together would be interesting to watch. :D And I don't know, if this is relevant but 13th's wife would be Woo Hee (played by Seohyun), right? Woo Hee slightly resembles Lady Hae face-wise, so maybe that's why 13th fall for her, ahahaa...

• Like 15

FORGETTING YOU

bkd

Fourth OST for Moon Lovers: Bo Bo Kyung Shim: Ryeo is Davichi’s Forgetting You. It’s a very romantic listen but not really my cup of tea. It is played quite a lot in the drama so far and I feel this song relates more to the love story between Hae Soo and Wang Wook. I’m eagerly waiting for Lee Hi’s song to be released in full. I hope it is up next.

https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/forgetting-you/

Spoiler

The lyric for the song 

I’m holding in my breath
And looking at you
As if the world has stopped

Like the passing wind
Even if you don’t see me
My heart goes toward you

Loving you
Is such a painful thing
Feelings that can’t be emptied
Is such a sad thing

My dear, don’t forget
My unstoppable love

Your eyes
They’re looking at me
As if they know my heart

Even when I try to get far away
The memories are asking us
Even if I’m in a different place

Loving you
Is such a painful thing
Feelings that can’t be emptied
Is such a sad thing

My dear, don’t forget
My unstoppable love

It’s okay even if it’s a little late
If it’s destiny
We will meet again

Forgetting you
Is such a hard thing
It’s me turning around and crying
My sad dream

Some day
I hope I can love you all I want

https://ilyricsbuzz.com/2016/09/davichi-forgetting-you-lyrics-moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-ryeo-ost.html

• Like 16

1 hour ago, LyraYoo said:

Also, is Mango Tv an online site too or a TV Channel?

Because based on the news prior to broadcast, the rights have been sold to YouKu for 400K USD per episode :)

Yes...YouKu is the only online streaming website with full rights to MLSHR (probably streaming the same time as SK or right after SK brocast? can't access from States). I don't think there is a TV channel currently brocasting MLSHR. 

MangoTV is online component of Hunan TV international brocasting which is supposedly second highest watched TV channel in China and also have international channel. They also produce dramas and buy rights to air dramas. Hunan TV programs can be streamed live via MangoTV web. Moonlight (other Saguak drama) is currently streaming on MangoTV web (not sure about brocast time and # of hit as can't access). I'm also not sure whether it is concurrently brocasted on acutal HunanTV channel as I did not go through channel brocasting schedule. Q: how can Moonlight be streamed on MangoTV without being preproduced??? Not sure complete episodes are shown on website as can't access tonight with my phone but will check w/ laptop tomorrow :P

Good night Eclipsers...from someone watching MLSHR for its story and actors' great work without being a fan of any of the actors :D

P.S. I actually feel Li Junke wore too much make-up overall including eyeliners, eyebrows and lip gloss compared to younger actors for drama's activities (end of shooting celebration, Cosmopolitan photo shoots and interviews) though he already have youthful pretty look. I don't know why he still wants to keep flowerboy look at this age :( {Junke fans don't hate your unni}

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, KdramaSwimmer said:

wowww those gifs...my fav the last one...am i only one feeling the desperation in WSs pulling her closer (how manly he did that) and his eyes like shooting lasers at her face.

I know right... so passionate and no hesitation. Wang So sees something he likes and he just goes for it clap-cheetah-emoticon.gifAnd thanks for sharing your dreams with us last night, that's so sweet.

Found this effect program online and loved how it rendered some of the photos from the drama. Decided to share a few with you. The first one is the Kandisky. The second another famous art effect. 

Spoiler

fusu97xg.jpg 

Spoiler

HSwpdk8.jpg

Spoiler

OwXAHNl.jpg

Can't help but listen to this as I surf the web this morning music-box-smiley.gif

Edit: @junee22 Right click on the image, copy image address and then paste here into your post. :D Some sites mightn't allow you to hotlink. So save the image instead and upload it to somewhere like imgur to share with us.

• Like 16