[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Thoughts after spending time watching bts, interview, cover shooting and etcs:

If there's a report that IU breaking up with her boo and start going out with Kang Ha Neul I won't be surprised. That guy is clearly fall for her. No wonder he was able to deliver the role beautifully. His eyes in real life is no different from Wang Wook in drama whenever he saw her haha. Beside KHN is a sweet heart, his real personality is different from Wook.

I love the scene when they interview him, IU, LJK and Baekhyun and IU get the question who taking care of her the most among these princes. KHN suddenly busy cleaning up his pants and looking kind of down and jelous when IU picked LJK hahaha. 

I'm all for him not getting the girl in drama but getting her in real life. But I don't think the feeling is mutual or is IU just so good in hiding it? 

My fave OTP, fighting!

Oh my God.. Can LJK get any handsomer? His skin is insane and he looks like he pops out from a manga/manhwa. Those Goryeo robes and clothes only magnify it. I think W production should cast him to be Kang Chul but that would mean I can't see him in SHR so I take it back. He can switch between manly charm and boyish attraction easily. I nominated him to win the SK's Oscar. 

Monday is still far away in the horizon, eclipers. I guess we have to get by with what we have. 

• Like 14

@Mau_Cherry When I wrote that he is on his way there, I meant, he is gradually falling in love with her... it is not the big love yet that he will feel for her later.

Besides, even the women ran away from him... the rumour about him is that he is an animal. So he had such a bad reputation, I don't think, he has ever had any contact with a woman before. 

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Gabi Bros said:

I know that some people complain that Hae Soo is not like the heroine from the C-drama as she doesn't know her History very well. But honestly, I am a History teacher myself and I can say that it is pretty normal if people don't know when the chronology of all the kings and their wives and kids aso based on my experience. Besides, here in Germany and France, we don't teach History like that any longer

For the sake of the story, I believe that Hae Soo's character should have know that part of history.  I am from America and I know that Taejo was the founder of Goryeo ( from watching many historical K-dramas).  I do not think that she should know all the emperors,to be fair, that area has been settled for a long time, but I do think they should have allowed the character to know the major monarchs and major events in history.  Our American history, after the invasion of Europeans, cannot compare to the history many Asian and European cultures and I cannot recite all of our American presidents in order; however, I do know which president is connected to a major event or change.  If I were transported back to the time of the War of Independence or the Civil War, I would know the major players. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Berou said:

speaking of them, i have found out that they came together at the wrap up party. Look at KHN's big smile

*I really wish we can quote pics right now*

I know, right? They look good together and perfect height difference too. I watched the vid vers and it seems like KHN waited for IU or they arrived at the same time. The umbrella only making me more swooned. He titled it so IU won't get wet.

Ha Neul-ah please find a way to get her.. I pray for you until it comes true. 

• Like 11

@solelylurking

I think KHN falling fir IU is so visible in all those Bts and interviews that the person like me who hardly notice anything else LJK is in same frame, has noticed it too. You can just how KHN expression changes the moment Iu is there beside him. Seems like he has eyes for her only. I never knew IU already has someone and was all confirm that these 2 wil be a couple in real life... now I know the truth.

@Berou

lol those pics... as if KHN got some reward to be under same umbrella with IU...his smile says it all.

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

For the sake of the story, I believe that Hae Soo's character should have know that part of history.  I am from America and I know that Taejo was the founder of Goryeo ( from watching many historical K-dramas).  I do not think that she should know all the emperors,to be fair, that area has been settled for a long time, but I do think they should have allowed the character to know the major monarchs and major events in history.  Our American history, after the invasion of Europeans, cannot compare to the history many Asian and European cultures and I cannot recite all of our American presidents in order; however, I do know which president is connected to a major event or change.  If I were transported back to the time of the War of Independence or the Civil War, I would know the major players. 

But she knew about him and what he did. So she is not entirely clueless. However, it is about the next king and the different coup d'état. She doesn't know all the events and this happened 1000 years ago. This is different if you can compare it to American History and Civil War as the time gap is not so big. 

@MadraRua I really love your GIFS!!! crazy monkey This scene makes me realise that he must be surprised that he is not rejected by her and he wants her to look at him again.      

• Like 19

3 hours ago, MadraRua said:

Hide contents

And I just had to include the snow scene from Bu Bu Jing Xin with this.... it's so beautiful to

@KdramaSwimmer As you can see I make gifs to pass the time :D It works plus I get to rewatch the episodes always a plus :)

Spoiler

odHnvNt.gifUmjbkKF.gif

iQQjP6a.gifx1M0RSM.gif

Hi @MadraRua ...Your bringing back the snow scene from BBJX just jolted me..... and then the snow scene from MLSH transported me back to Goreyeo times. Only the pure white snow is the common factor .  From the very first episode of  ML, I have decided that it is perilous to make a parallel of the 2 dramas. Got to watch ML in a very Korean context, ( BBJX is history steeped , the Palace is a place of intrigues and is deadly. You don't mess with Emperor Kangxi. Rouxi is incomparable ) MLSH ( sorry to hurt anyone's feelings, is feather weight light. The name Scarlet Heart shouldn't be named in the same breath... vast difference in so many areas. Personal opinion only so hold your horses .... < dodging missiles >

I've to knock my head to remind me to watch it as a Korean drama. J  U  S  T    W  A  T  C  H     IT.... and enjoy it as an entertaining drama, with all it's impressive cinematography, pretty pretty looks, closeups of the same pretty pretty boys which are breathtaking . Korean film makers are so good at making dramas which enthrall using all the tropes to captivate. Even the OST kills. Has this drama hit the roof yet? It is under rated methinks. 

Oh, since I'm here to support LJK .... let me wave to @willenette. Your boy is shattering hearts...  Someone just posted this. (my first drama of him ) But..but ..but.. why is he looking like The Phantom Of The Opera ? His looks is wasted here or perhaps it's to give it an aura of mystery and mask his potential ability to destroy his enemies in a flash. Hail to the future King.

15 Sexy real-life photos of Lee Joon Ki that will give you a heart attack

lee-jun-ki-moon-lovers.jpg

credit : owner

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

This is my opinion and thought on topic is that the writers intended to write Hae Soo character like that because in the cversion, Ruoxi knew the outcome of the princes before hand and she tries to avoid it/change it and when she tried to change it, it in the end still have the same outcome like 

Spoiler

when Ruoxi warned 8th against 4th and he launch an attack on 13th that pushed 4th to change his mind on getting the throne

She didn't realized that because of that one sentence history is what it is and that she was the cause of it. For me they wrote that Hae Soo have lack of history knowledge because they didn't want it to be too similar to the cversion. Its like Hae Soo knows her history but she chose not to remember it but more like the scene when she met the king, she realized who he was and it hit her about her history like its teaching the audience the same time. but in the trailer preview 

Spoiler

there was a moment when she look at the princes, she remember that one of them will be the one to kill them all or give them their tragic fate but she didn't remember who

even though the viewers know who it will be but for ones that don't know their history its a anticipation it like they want the heroine to learn it step by step and realized that with her presence it was part of the change that cause this to happen (I hope that make sense lol)

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Mau_Cherry When I wrote that he is on his way there, I meant, he is gradually falling in love with her... it is not the big love yet that he will feel for her later.

Besides, even the women ran away from him... the rumour about him is that he is an animal. So he had such a bad reputation, I don't think, he has ever had any contact with a woman before. 

Okay - it´s right he is used to be feared. I still believe he knows his own Heart. Even when everybody treated him like an animal - he knows who he is. He might see himself as not worthy... they teached him that... but a Heart is not asking for that - only the head.

• Like 12

*I'll be comparing this with the C-drama only a little bit, so just forgive me for once*

Ah, i wished they went C-drama way for Su's and the 8th's relationship. Although i am totally on Su's and 4th's ship...i was looking forward to this arc because going as per original it was an important part of Ruoxi's journey. I was a bit taken aback when they made Lady Hae fall in love 8th. I didn't come here expecting that. It's actually a drawback for the one's who have watched the C-version and have come here with a certain expectations about the direction in which the story-line will go. This actually changes everything in the equation. The Prince wavering etc...everything. Especially with the values that Hae Soo brought with her to Goreyo, it becomes more messed up. I do sympathize with her a lot...but the situation certainly got messed....intentional or not (and yes i know matters of the heart and all that) but it did end up hurting Lady Hae especially in her last days. Still i sympathize with Su beause Lady Hae's death is going to leave a huge burden on her....and of course Wook too. With that kind of burden, will she be able to marry the 8th? All they didn't explicitly show it in this one, but she was one of the reason Su was able to survive and adapt in Goreyo (although most of the credit was given to Wook, unlike in the original). She was her family. The burden is going to be enormous! 

Talking of burden, a lot of people in this show have their own burden to bear - Su and Wook with their forbidden feelings (yes, i do believe they have feelings for each other...and i am totally fine with it. People can fall in love in love twice. In this case, Su will find her soulmate in Wang Soo), So bearing the burden of being abandoned and tortured, 13th and his feelings for Lady Hae, Crown Prince and the burden of the throne, Wang Yo bearing burden of his and his mother's ambitions and expectations, and even our Jung fighting with the burden of his complicated family and relationship with his brothers. 

Spoiler

Some how i hope that we get to see 13th Prince's relationship with Su as her drinking buddy you know. One of my favorite things about BBJX was Ruoxi and the 13th's friendship. Here it seems they started off on a rough patch, hope we get to see a good evolution on that front

I am slowly getting used to the fact that this one's a different deal than it's source material (which is fair enough) Not that i wasn't loving it as it was, just that i was a bit taken aback. The one thing that has remained consistent with me though was extremely loving this show's take on the 4th Prince. I was sold from day one. Part of it...scratch that...whole of it was due to Lee Jun Ki and his awesome portrayal. A little bad treatment of this character would have turned it into a caricature. But the heartbreaking and the cruel backstory nailed by LJK's performance just brought out the darkness, vulnerability, pain, insecurities, inferiority complex and anger so perfectly. I don't know whether i felt more heartbroken for So or more angry and repulsive towards the so called biological mother of his, using her sons as pawns for her political ambitions and ego, when So was narrating his life with his adoptive family. Why wouldn't he behave like an animal if he is sent amongst one? Why wouldn't he threaten Su every-time she cuts his path...that's literally all he has done all his life - kill. Yet it took this clueless intriguing girl to actually understand him? All those high and mighty learned people in the Palace absolutely have no heart at all?

I totally love the build up to Su and So's relationship. The evolution from the coldness to warmth...the journey towards a budding friendship which will eventually blossom into love. It all started when Su hit the right buttons with So, asking him was it wrong for her to act like she did in order to survive. Ah. It hit the right spot. That's what he has been doing for ages! Killing to survive. If that softened him to some extent towards her, Su not judging a bloodied So nailed it for him. That scene has to be the most poignant in my opinion. She was not just stopping him from knocking over those prayer stones...she was asking him to get himself together and calming him down....caring for him as a person. This man has not heard even one warm word of kindness or sympathy from even his mother. His brothers act with caution around him, his blood-related brothers insult him on his face, even Yeon hwa who claims to miss him considers him as some project where she'd tame the wild *major eye roll*. And yet it was Su who was vocal about her sympathies...and about the fact she understood where he was coming from...who was worried about his own blood gushing out rather than noticing people's blood on his face. It took those few words to calm him down. 

Just how beautifully their equation evolved from there. He saved her from being caned...of-course he noticed it was all because of the pains she went through to return the gift meant for his ... err the person who gave birth to him. Notice the incremental changes in him...he is opening up - he mischievously flirts with her calling her as his. *major swoooon*, he bickered with her when she brought him food (bickered and not threaten to kill) he smiles to himself every-time Su does something amusing haha...i guess that smile comes on only at just one other place - when his brothers fight childishly, God he even deciphered her emojis. Limit. Their conversation in the Palace clearly shows they have moved towards friendship....i think she even earned his respect in a way when she excused herself after overhearing bits of So's conversation with his...i mean the lady who gave birth to him, not leaving him in an awkward position in front of her. 

In all this, all though i realize So slowly developing feelings for her, Su is entangled in her complicated feelings for Wook. I am expecting some major wooing and sincere conveyance of his feelings....and most importantly him patiently doing so, waiting for her. I would like him to be persistent with her, reiterate his feelings through touching gestures....protecting her with his life.

Spoiler

Something like the arrow scene from BBJX:heart:

But then again, these are my expectations, since the show has been one step ahead of my expectations, i am curious to see what route they take with the central love story of the show

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, MadraRua said:

Now the astronomer guy is a different story. He seems to be leading the King with tidbits about the stars alignment etc when in actuality I think he's borrowing the facts from history and leading the King in the direction he should go. I wonder though how he feels about another time traveller in that era with him. If it was me I'd be dying of curiosity but he doesn't seem to be that bothered. Maybe we'll find out why later on. 

The astronomer is really the character that intrigues me most right now. From his knowledge/outfit and objects in his place I would say he doesn't come from the 21st century like Haesoo but more like the first part of the 20th. I think it's a theory that has already been discussed here but I believe the eclipse really played a role in bringing him to Goryeo just like it did with Haesoo. And who knows maybe he has been travelling throughout history each time there was a new eclipse but never able to go back to his time. I mean eclipses are rare especially full ones but if you travel back hundreds or thousand years ago and land at a time there is one happening then it's possible to time travel several times, though as I said, with the risk of not getting back to your original time. Anyway, I find that part fascinating. 

• Like 15

I don't believe Lady Hae died from heartbreak. She had Tuberculosis, last stage. Her husband may not have loved her as she wanted but he loved her in his own way and respected her and also her "You two are so foolish" was said lovingly like giving them her blessing to be together. She found it foolish that the two were trying to deny their feelings and keep their distance for her when she herself tried so many times to push them together. Since I love WW and WS equally, I can see very clearly what the story is doing. Lady Hae's death is not the last nail in the coffin for WW-HS, HS will not say goodbye to WW and concentrate on WS right now. It's the doorway for them to burst through and be a hurdle for the real OTP's lovestory. Our OTP needs some real competition to become epic and each others soulmate. WW and his love will be that and yes, he does genuinely love her but for HS it's more like a hero worship+crush. HS is going to feel really guilty because technically she will have lead him on before her feelings changed and she chose our WS. Anyway, WW and HS will be a beautiful short poem ..the real story is our SoSoo's and until that starts, I am more than happy to enjoy WW and his love for HS while watching our tough as nails So soften and fall for Soo even more, ditto with Soo for So.

So I was watching both the previews and I think I can predict somewhat what will happen in 6 and 7th episode. I noticed WW and HS holding hands and smiling. I believe this is the stage where they are happy and in the "We are about to be married" stage. I think WW believes his mom has asked the Hae clan for permission to marry Soo and maybe she had but YH (& maybe Queen Simplycrazy) will intervene to get Soo married to someone else instead. Or maybe the Hae clan already has Soo's marriage planned and Lady's Hae's death was their time to get HS back much to YH's happiness. The princes will be against that and will try to stop it but will be unable to. With WW and WS's help, HS will run away from her own marriage ..maybe dressed as the maid hence our OTP in the cottage wearing those clothes. WW halfway and then WS so that no one suspects WW and Hae clan doesnot become their enemy. This scenario would also explain the scene of WS injured and HS running towards him. Maybe they came to find her there and attacked WS. HS may decide to leave the clan if given a choice between saving WS and going with them. I think they will decide to banish her, leaving her with no family or power whatsoever. Remember before this, HS was still a part of their clan and hence ties  with Hae would have still continued even after Lady Hae's death. With the renouncement, HS would have no choice but to be a slave in the castle.

OK my prediction may have a lot of holes in it because it's 2 am here and I may not be making much sense. LOL.

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, lavender2love said:

Hi @MadraRua ...Your bringing back the snow scene from BBJX just jolted me..... and then the snow scene from MLSH transported me back to Goreyeo times. Only the pure white snow is the common factor .  From the very first episode of  ML, I have decided that it is perilous to make a parallel of the 2 dramas. Got to watch ML in a very Korean context, ( BBJX is history steeped , the Palace is a place of intrigues and is deadly. You don't mess with Emperor Kangxi. Rouxi is incomparable ) MLSH ( sorry to hurt anyone's feelings, is feather weight light. The name Scarlet Heart shouldn't be named in the same breath... vast difference in so many areas. Personal opinion only so hold your horses .... < dodging missiles >

I don't think you'll find many missiles coming your way, always good to hear a discerning opinion. It's a study in contrasts that's for sure. Although I like both scenes equally. In Bu Bu Jing Xin they are walking together side by side ,treading new ground and it was 8th Prince who joined her. In Scarlet Heart Ryeo, she is following in his footsteps, afraid to break new ground but content for him to take the lead. You really can't make a parallel between the two, only in the most broadest sense. I wouldn't try to do that. But I thought the two scenes complimented one another in breathtaking beauty. That's why I posted them together. Other than that I wasn't thinking too deeply. dunno-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif 

• Like 16

On 07/09/2016 at 1:52 AM, bebebisous33 said:

@MadraRua  

Sorry I copied your wonderful gifs for two reasons. I would like to explain the symbolism behind these two scenes. I hope, you don't mind.

I really love the symbolism of this two scenes: the eclipse. This represents the meeting of the sun and the moon. Actually, the eclipse symbolises the fated meeting of Wang So and Hae Soo. When Hae Jin is disappearing in the darkness, she is actually on her way to meet Wang So. Then Wang So appears riding on his horse and the sun begins to shine again behind his back. This scene reveals that this is the start for Wang So to shine. First, he is in the dark, but later, the sun shines more and more. The moon that made the sun disappear makes the sun appear even brighter than before. Actually, Wang So has no idea about his future and he is about to meet his soulmate. As conclusion, the sun representing Wang So will meet the person who will change his fate: Hae Soo. She is the one who will turn Wang So into a king. I don't think, the director didn't have this in mind. The reason why I think that the sun embodies Wang So and the moon Hae Soo is because in Europe, the sun was used as symbol for the King (Louis 14. is called the sun king = roi soleil) and secondly, the cycle of the moon corresponds to the menstrual cycle too. 

I love the symbolism behind the eclipse because it goes even deeper. This event doesn't occur every year and it is rare so that their meeting looks more like fate. Besides, although both planets (sun/moon) seem to embrace each other, there is actually a distance which also exists in our story. Hae Soo comes from 21st century and the distance is portraied by the difference of the time, as Wang So is definitely someone from 10th century. 

@lavender2love I am glad that you decided to join this thread. :wub:Here is one of my analysis!

Ahhhh @bebebisous33...  the wedding's over. all the partying and celebration is done.... only waiting to throw a baby shower after nine months... ... kiddin'

I love eclipses ..... and I love your analysis too. Well expressed. The appearance of an eclipse spooks people and the soothsayer will stake his reputation on it. The first picture is foreboding.... the land is shrouded. Bad fortune and disaster stalk. You are right. When the darkness gives way to the brightness of the sun , the shining star belongs to Wang So.... his time has come to reign ... and to love ( romance is the pillar of-drama ) It's such a dramatic entrance, his magnificent horse bearing its majestic rider. As the heavenly bodies align Korea enters a new era..

Interesting ....your analysis on the sun and moon embracing ....... over 10 centuries.... mind boggling.

• Like 14