[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

20 minutes ago, gangurhar said:

Yea most have a fixed price based on experience (and to a good extent gender). SHK is one of the higher paid actresses due to her experience and list of hits and  SJK makes more than her  (but much less than say KSH) 

Since DOTS is a hit both SJK and SHK will be able to charge more if they want to for their next project. Otherwise their salaries are fixed from what they stated early on so nothing will change. If the drama was lowly rated SJK would've had to cut his salary but SHK probably would not have had to since she has had many more hit works and is a senior in the industry. 

SJK currently makes $50,300 for each episode according to sources and SHK makes $41,800

this sadly does show the gender gap in salaries given that SHK has been acting since 15 :') 

Omo oppa... You have a good heart.....a nice person in reality.... A handsome face.... Also now tons of money.... Marry me please if thing:wub::wub: not work out with KMY ..... 

• Like 5

Since we're discussing the pay scale.

I believe the pay charged by the stars is in respect of the show's budget. SHK wasn't even paid anything for World Within since it wasn't a big budget production and the show wasn't able to make a profit. 

So, SHK and SJK might be getting paid a lot more than earlier reported by some news reports. Unequal pay between male and female co-stars exists every where else in the world so one shouldn't be surprised that it happens in Korea too.

Meryl Streep might be considered the best actress in the world but you can bet many a hollywood male actors with just a few years of experience will command an equal if not higher pay.

In addition the dramas and movies are never the real cash sources for actors anyways. It's the commercial endorsements, the more number of CFs you do the more money you'll make.

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, gangurhar said:

Yea most have a fixed price based on experience (and to a good extent gender). SHK is one of the higher paid actresses due to her experience and list of hits and  SJK makes more than her  (but much less than say KSH) 

Since DOTS is a hit both SJK and SHK will be able to charge more if they want to for their next project. Otherwise their salaries are fixed from what they stated early on so nothing will change. If the drama was lowly rated SJK would've had to cut his salary but SHK probably would not have had to since she has had many more hit works and is a senior in the industry. 

SJK currently makes $50,300 for each episode according to sources and SHK makes $41,800

this sadly does show the gender gap in salaries given that SHK has been acting since 15 :') 

yes in South Korea there is this thing exist... I know it's not fair but it is how it is from Joseon era.... not only in entertainment indutry but basically in every aspect of life.. sama position but different salary.. male and female.. frankly speaking ; male domination is still pretty strong there.. unlike here in Netherlands where I live.. female emancipation up and front.

But I am sure SHK won't mind at all... she's happy and she enjoys filming and like to be the part of it.. and she is pretty much loaded herself aka filthy rich Goddess...

• Like 13

29 minutes ago, bharu said:

Believe me I have been dropping so many hints of my new 'expectation bucket list', it cannot be more obvious!!!

things lead to serious pouting from his side.. Apparently I cannot tell he pouts :)).  That why these dramas let us live vicariously!!!!

I do notice that most Asian men are so unromantic though. I married one of them. There's nothing romantic about my husband at all. I don't think he knows what it means. 

Unlike our captain! I don't mind to wreck some lipsticks with him. We can wreck some lipsticks all day along. Haha

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, deeand said:

They deserved that. With solid cast. Solid story and amazing scennery. And at kbs awards. They will swept all chategory. 

WINNERS LIST

Daesang (Grand Prize): Song hye kyo (Descendant of The Sun),
Top Excellence, Actor: Song joong ki 
(Descendant of The Sun)

I just want to make one change to your gorgeous list. I want SJK and SHK to get co-daesangs, I really think they deserve it. If they were co-winners it would be such an appropriate finale to this wonderful experience called DOTS.

song-joong-ki-and-song-hye-kyo-are-ready

• Like 23

46 minutes ago, reydevan said:
1 hour ago, gangurhar said:

from what I read SHK got paid $50,000 per episode on her TWTWB ...but gender gap exists- men do get more

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Meowth07 said:

Thanks for sharing yours too!

I love writing about DotS because besides all the great works at scriptwriting, directing, cinematography, acting... it also hits me so close too home. On one hand, I extremely respect and be proud of what my dad does as a soldier. On the other hand, I grew up witnessing what my mom got to endure having a soldier's wife's life. Earlier day when dad was a Captain like Si Jin, then Major, then Lt.Colonel like Commander Park, he was at work much much more than he was at home, it was extremely hard on mom. That's why I like Mo Yeon character a lot. She's a smart woman who thinks everything through and voices her opinions before she decides to step into that life. So of course I gotta protect her from people blaming her. Anddd pls don't get me wrong, I mean many people on many forums, it's kinda condescending of them. 

Btw, I think DotS probably had some military consultant. The way it portrays the military is so on point and insightful. Not only the big things, even with insignificant things such as how they're really soft on women while very hard on men, i.e Commander Park, he's actually being quite easy on Mo Yeon. If the doctor who made all those troubles was a male like Dr.Song, he would just yell and yell and kick his butt. Lol.  Or the way Si Jin and Dae Young are "afraid" of their girls, haha, it's a running joke between army men that the only thing they're scared of more than their boss's commands is their wife's orders. :))

Oh my gosh, that's sooo true! In fact, the only woman who can get my father to be really scared is my mum. Also because as a doctor, she can literally kill him and make it look like an accident. My mum is tough as nails and she did have quite a hard time earlier in their relationship because my dad would be away a lot and with her hospital shifts we were sent to boarding school since they could not take care of us properly. So it was hard for the whole family but it worked because, to this day, I can't think of a better couple than my parents: never argued in front of us were the best team ever. 

I did ask my mum how she coped with it all and she simply said: because I am crazy about your father. It's because of their example that I think that love does conquer all, and if you love your significant other more than anything else in the world, you make things work no matter what. That's also the reason why I think Shi-jin and Mo-yeon will end up making things work too. 

And not only because it's a k-drama and therefore a given. :P

• Like 24

19 minutes ago, Meowth07 said:

Thanks for sharing yours too!

I love writing about DotS because besides all the great works at scriptwriting, directing, cinematography, acting... it also hits me so close too home. On one hand, I extremely respect and be proud of what my dad does as a soldier. On the other hand, I grew up witnessing what my mom got to endure having a soldier's wife's life. Earlier day when dad was a Captain like Si Jin, then Major, then Lt.Colonel like Commander Park, he was at work much much more than he was at home, it was extremely hard on mom. That's why I like Mo Yeon character a lot. She's a smart woman who thinks everything through and voices her opinions before she decides to step into that life. So of course I gotta protect her from people blaming her. Anddd pls don't get me wrong, I mean many people on many forums, it's kinda condescending of them when they think the military is the best and a woman should gracefully accept it. =3=

Btw, I think DotS probably had some military consultant. The way it portrays the military is so on point and insightful. Not only the big things, even with insignificant things such as how they're really soft on women while very hard on men, i.e Commander Park, he's actually being quite easy on Mo Yeon. If the doctor who made all those troubles was a male like Dr.Song, he would just yell and yell and kick his butt. Lol.  Or the way Si Jin and Dae Young are "afraid" of their girls, it's a running joke between army men that the only thing they're scared of more than their boss's commands is their wife's orders. lol.

so your dad is a soldier? great. i hope you post more and give your opinion/insightful about this drama especially soldier/military thingy. i'm reading some comment at other site/blog comment how this drama give incorrect info about soldier, cheesy, make soldier look weak bla bla bla so it's good you come and join us. and it great that you don't despise mo yeon cause i like her too. it's such a surprise that kim eun sook write her character like this cause if you watch heirs and secret garden you know will know why it's hard for me to like her female lead. anyway what your opinion about si jin? what is his flaw according to you well beside he has a dangerous job.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Meowth07 said:

The thing with all the blame on Mo Yeon when she somehow disapproves of what Si Yin does, or of how inflexible and even unreasonable the military rules are, is that I think people don't fully get the meaning of being a doctor. She took the Hippocratic Oath. And since she is a good doctor, the oath to her is just as absolute as the military commands to Si Jin. The oath is never to harm a life, even when under threats, even when the person needed saving is some lowlife like a rapist or a killer. If you think that oath is just words, that in some cases doctors can compromise it, then you know nothing at all and you don't get to judge her opinion. When Si Jin's job is to kill some terrorists to save other people, her job is to never harm anyone, even those terrorists, and save them if they need medical help. You admire Si Jin for doing his job, you can't blame her for upholding to hers. 

I wish people could get that the world is made of totally contradict perspectives, and that's what makes life balance. Like cops and lawyers, cops catch the criminals, lawyers defend them, because that's the right thing for each of them to do. Cops and lawyers don't normally see eyes to eyes. Can you blame the cops? Or the lawyers? No, none of them is wrong. C'est la vie. Neither Si Jin nor Mo Yeon is wrong with their job, with their opinion. It's ridiculous to think one side is right and one side is wrong.

The second thing, when Mo Yeon says some disapproval thing about the military disciplines (ep8), it's when Si Yin - her patient - wasn't in good health condition, what else you expect her - a doctor - to do? When someone falls, a doctor will ask for an X-ray, for a head CT, while normal people just brush it off "it's ok, no need X-ray, it's bothering". When Si Yin got out of the incident, she - as a doctor - required him to lie in bed, to absolutely rest, not to run to his Commander, no way to run 100 laps with heavy gears. Of course she disapproves of that, of course she thinks it's unreasonable for him to do his punishment instead of laying in bed as a patient. Again, she does what a good, responsible doctor does: nagging her patient and telling said patient he's a fool to do anything other than resting. And again she got the blame for acting as a doctor, not a drooling military workshipper. *roll my eyes*

Btw, there's no need to tell me "but the military is this and that...". I'm an army brat, I know why the military needs to be like this and that, I know why the commands need to be absolute, why punishment is necessary even when a soldier does nothing wrong ('nothing wrong' in normal logic, not military logic). It just doesn't mean the military is the only right thing in the world, and other professionals, other perspectives, are less right.

I agree with your comment. She was acting as a doctor and she knew that YSJ wasn't actually in condition to run as if nothing had happened.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, annypooh said:

I do notice that most Asian men are so unromantic though. I married one of them. There's nothing romantic about my husband at all. I don't think he knows what it means. 

Unlike our captain! I don't mind to wreck some lipsticks with him. We can wreck some lipsticks all day along. Haha

haha.that true.most asian man does show their feeling towards their woman evethough they love so much.

that y most drama portrays lead actor so romantic.because they want to show to man out there how to be romantic:D

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, ad_fa said:

haha.that true.most asian man does show their feeling towards their woman evethough they love so much.

that y most drama portrays lead actor so romantic.because they want to show to man out there how to be romantic:D

Well, instead of getting the message, they got mad cuz we love the character in the drama more than them. 

Can you blame us thou? Captain YSJ is so romantic and his eyes could kill! 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

Oh my gosh, that's sooo true! In fact, the only woman who can get my father to be really scared is my mum. Also because as a doctor, she can literally kill him and make it look like an accident. My mum is tough as nails and she did have quite a hard time earlier in their relationship because my dad would be away a lot and with her hospital shifts we were sent to boarding school since they could not take care of us properly. So it was hard for the whole family but it worked because, to this day, I can't think of a better couple than my parents: never argued in front of us were the best team ever. 

I did ask my mum how she coped with it all and she simply said: because I am crazy about your father. It's because of their example that I think that love does conquer all, and if you love your significant other more than anything else in the world, you make things work no matter what. That's also the reason why I think Shi-jin and Mo-yeon will end up making things work too. 

And not only because it's a k-drama and therefore a given. :P

The power of love ...marriage or being in a relationship takes hard work too. I would agreed with your mom..no matter how difficult it is if u love and trust your significant other you'll find a way to make it work. It is not easy to give in and at the same time keep ur own principles as individual.. 

I hope we will see a growing relationship between shi Jin and mo  yeon and not only as a couple but as well as an individual as the show progress

• Like 11

1 minute ago, gilaswan said:

Suddenly I'm thinking the ramyeon question will be asked by Dr Song to the head nurse. The voice doesn't sound like YSJ's. 

please don't destroy my hopelessly romantic idiot mode:tears: i don't hear you lalala:phew:

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Tinkiebell said:

Yes of course, that's the very point of a forum. And in our case, We're all brought together in this thread by our love for the drama. Everyone is free to express their opinions, but since a lot of us come from different backgrounds, cultures, upbringing, etc, of course opinions may differ, but as long as we respect each other, keep the discussions civil, and nobody gets insulted, then it's all good. The difference in viewing experience is the thing that makes the discussions fun, and I'm tremendously enjoying the exchange between you, @Ohsh@rumasa79, @larienssi, @Meowth07 and @bharu (and everyone else's insightful thoughts). So heck yeah, I say keep it coming :)  

@Tinkiebell thank you for the shout out! I enjoy this forum immensely. I have never been so invested in a drama before. I surprise my self actually :))

@Meowth07 @larienssi   I would never blame Mo Yeon nor speak ill of her. I love her to bits, i think she portrays a woman i dream to be. She is strong-willed, great at what she does, spunky and honest. Above all, she's also flawed, and those flaws even make her more relatable to many women and girls. We don't get much of her background so we don't know yet what makes her so 'inflexible' at times. My easy guess would be because her experiences as a doctor mostly have made her who she is and how she acts.

My point of view of her indifference might be also caused by my lack of observation or simply i was only interpreting her words at that exact moment.

Thank you all for putting out another insights, I'm amazed with how this forum keeps coming with analysis, info and details about DoTS.

This drama is something i will cherish for a long time. I see that some people have been endlessly questioning about plot. Is it only a love story?  Well I would say, why the heck not? Love is one thing that crosses boundaries of cultures, beliefs, and values. Millions of people will relate easily. I would dare to say that both writers did a marvelous job in creating a simple story with layered characters. Characters we'd love to root for because at one point of our lives, we have our individual battle like Shi Jin, Mo Yeon, Dae Young, or even Chi Hoon.

Omo. Sorry for the long rant :blink:

One trooper needs to let it out once in while. Back to situation room, over. :D

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, ad_fa said:

i dont know why this can be so touching scene

our captain always appear in the right time..:lol:

I think that someone in this forum said something along the lines that Shi-jin tying Mo-yeon's shoelaces was akin to hugging her. Since he wasn't allowed to do the real thing, he chose to do this instead, offering her the care and comfort he wanted to give her. She probably intepreted it correctly because you could see how moved she was by his gesture, his words and above everything else, his being there. No wonder this was one of Song Joong-ki's favourite scenes.

@rumasa79: "Back to situation room, over." << THIS MADE ME CRACK UP! :lol:

• Like 18