[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

thank you @utkim unni for the news.

here's the english article

Descendants of the Sun' nears milestone

SEOUL, March 21 (Yonhap) -- A popular TV series about a soldier and doctor who fall in love on the battlefield, inched closer to the 30-percent viewership mark, data showed Monday.

"Descendants of the Sun," the KBS 2TV drama starring actor Song Joong-ki and actress Song Hye-kyo, renewed its own viewership record at 28.5 percent last week, data by Nielsen Korea showed.

In Seoul, the figure broke the 30-percent mark the week prior to last one.

The KBS 2TV series "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap)

The KBS 2TV series "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap)

The Wednesday-Thursday night drama portrays the struggles of Korean peace-keeping troops and volunteer doctors trying to save lives in the fictional war-ravaged country of Uruk, a situation which gives rise to the liaison between special forces Capt. Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki) and Dr. Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo).

The show, which is currently broadcast in South Korea and China, was viewed a combined 1 billion times on iQiyi, its official streaming site in China, production company NEW said. The figure combines not only video views but clicks on other "Descendants of the Sun"-related posts on the website.

According to NEW, iQiyi paid US$250,000 per episode for the broadcasting rights in China.

They have also been sold to other Chinese cable networks, the company said, adding all in all, its customers represent 19 countries including Britain, France, Italy and Germany.

MBC's "Goodbye, Mr. Black," based on the local cartoon series of the same name, and SBS' "Please Come Back, Mister" failed to keep up with single-digit viewership.

Meanwhile, the KBS 2TV weekend series "Five Children" about a blended family with five children captured 27.9 percent of TV homes over the weekend. On Sunday, the show broke the 30-percent mark with 30.1 percent viewers nationwide and 30.9 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area.

MBC's "Happy Home" on weekend nights finished behind "Five Children" at 15 percent. SBS' "Yeah, That's How It is" trailed at 8 percent.

Among cable shows, tvN's "Memory" started with a moderate viewership of 3.6 percent. The series, which succeeds crime thriller "Signal" in the Friday-Saturday night time slot, follows a 40-something lawyer who grapples with his sudden Alzheimer's diagnosis. Along the way, he finds himself revisiting his ex-wife to the dismay of both the ex-wife and his current spouse.

"Pied Piper," a story about crisis negotiators on the same network, was the second-most watched cable drama at 2.4 percent.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/03/21/0200000000AEN20160321002151315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

• Like 18

annyeong everyone..

i've been lurk to this thread since the 1st episode of this drama

this drama is the best k drama i"ve ever watch, love the casts, love the OSTs soo much and of course SJK & SHK chemistry

best luck to this drama..

• Like 9

I have been thinking that Ltn General Yoon might have acted like this towards DYS for another reason. First, he wanted YSJ as son-in-law because he knows YSJ's father, he sees him as a great soldier who could become a general and this would make him look good. Moreover, he knows that YSJ and YMJ are close. So when he heard about the rumours that SDY and YMJ were dating, he didn't like it because he thought, this was the act of defiance coming from his daughter. And he was right: the rumour started becaus YMJ and SDY set things in motions. She didn't want to get married to YSJ and she asked from SDY a favour.

Nevertheless, they fell in love with each other and from Yoon's point of view, it might look like SDY was using YMJ that's why he asked SDY to break up with YMJ. He didn't want his daughter to be used, especially when we knows SDY's background. He could be greedy. SDY accepted Yoon's request but Yoon knew his daughter's temper that she wouldn't give up so easily. Hence he tried to separate the couple so many times. Still as time passes on, he gets aware that he might be wrong that's why he asked SDY how he felt about his request and orders. He got surprised by SDY's answer: he could feel the sincerity and he had lost the fight. Losing the fight illustrates that SDY was indeed fighting and this comment was sending a signal that this was hard on SDY. When the earthquake happens, he wants to send SDY there knowing that SDY will do anything for YMJ's sake, yet he gets surprised that SDY didn't wait for a command. He volontiered! 

So I believe, when in the next Ltn General Yoon appears in Urk, he will ask SDY and YMJ about their feelings for each other and if both don't deny their love for each other, he will give in as they have both proved that this wasn't for a boost in his career and it wasn't just a crush.

So what do you think? Any feedback would really please me!;)

@Ahpheng Thanks for keeping mentioning me!!:wub:

• Like 20

4 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

cr to J.andrea0522

Kim Ji won and him, don't know his name yet.. mian...

Not sure if anyone has replied, just back-reading some pages, still got a long way to go :sweatingbullets:

His name is written on his IG, 정영훈 . Jeong young hoon. 鄭渶薰 :D He's the guy who asked Captain YSJ about his left shoulder injury towards the ending of ep7, check out the videos in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Cr. to the owners on IG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sunflower91_ said:

funny to see how they incorporated the epic wine kiss in this scene , LOL, as if KMY is making another confession about their wine kiss !

<deleted images because of quoting rules, but the pics are of the scene in Ep 2 where YSJ asks the head nurse where KMY is in the hospital when he comes looking for her>

The chinese caps for the scene has him asking the nurse, “我老婆人在哪”... ok. My Chinese is quite CMI, but did he actually ask where his "wife" was??

• Like 6

The charismatic Daniel Spencer at ‘Descendants of the Sun’

The handsome Daniel Spencer (starred by Jasper Cho) The handsome Daniel Spencer (starred by Jasper Cho)

The rookie actor Cho Tae Kwan also known as Jasper Cho has successfully drawn the attention as the character of Daniel Spencer in ‘Descendants of the Sun’. His exotic look and character absolutely fit the character of Daniel Spencer.

Daniel Spencer (starred by Jasper Cho), the husband of Yae Hwa (starred by Jeon Soo Jin), also the emergency rescue team doctor and the owner of hardware store.

His apperance would be another highlight for the drama. Many viewers are looking forward to more apperances of Jasper Cho in the drama.

http://kpopfighting.com/2016/03/21/the-charismatic-daniel-spencer-at-descendants-of-the-sun/

everybody loves Daniel Spencer... actor  exotic look and character absolutely fit the character of Daniel Spencer...i could not agree more

• Like 17

Guest Tinkiebell

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC! 

ALL RUMORED DATING NEWS/ARTICLES/POSTS SHOULD BE POSTED IN THEIR RESPECTIVE SHIPPERS' THREAD.

THANK YOU.

EDIT: To those wondering where their posts related to the dating news/rumors have gone to, I've moved them to the shippers' thread. You can find them there. 

58 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have been thinking that Ltn General Yoon might have acted like this towards DYS for another reason. First, he wanted YSJ as son-in-law because he knows YSJ's father, he sees him as a great soldier who could become a general and this would make him look good. Moreover, he knows that YSJ and YMJ are close. So when he heard about the rumours that SDY and YMJ were dating, he didn't like it because he thought, this was the act of defiance coming from his daughter. And he was right: the rumour started becaus YMJ and SDY set things in motions. She didn't want to get married to YSJ and she asked from SDY a favour.

Nevertheless, they fell in love with each other and from Yoon's point of view, it might look like SDY was using YMJ that's why he asked SDY to break up with YMJ. He didn't want his daughter to be used, especially when we knows SDY's background. He could be greedy. SDY accepted Yoon's request but Yoon knew his daughter's temper that she wouldn't give up so easily. Hence he tried to separate the couple so many times. Still as time passes on, he gets aware that he might be wrong that's why he asked SDY how he felt about his request and orders. He got surprised by SDY's answer: he could feel the sincerity and he had lost the fight. Losing the fight illustrates that SDY was indeed fighting and this comment was sending a signal that this was hard on SDY. When the earthquake happens, he wants to send SDY there knowing that SDY will do anything for YMJ's sake, yet he gets surprised that SDY didn't wait for a command. He volontiered! 

So I believe, when in the next Ltn General Yoon appears in Urk, he will ask SDY and YMJ about their feelings for each other and if both don't deny their love for each other, he will give in as they have both proved that this wasn't for a boost in his career and it wasn't just a crush.

So what do you think? Any feedback would really please me!;)

@Ahpheng Thanks for keeping mentioning me!!:wub:

You have no idea how much I would like for your theory to be correct. Alas, I don't think it's going to be so easy. Not to mention the fact that unless I've missed something, in the previews we got we never hear Dae-young's answer so he might actually be pressed into denying his feelings or something similar which would totally break Myeong-joo's heart. 

If this confrontation had happened much later into the drama, say in episode 14 or 15, then I would be more likely to think that Lt Gen Yoon would end up accepting their relationship. Now, it's just too soon so I don't expect him to understand, much less approve of their relationship. That said, I seriously hope I am wrong because I adore Myeong-joo and the girl deserves to be happy. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

You have no idea how much I would like for your theory to be correct. Alas, I don't think it's going to be so easy. Not to mention the fact that unless I've missed something, in the previews we got we never hear Dae-young's answer so he might actually be pressed into denying his feelings or something similar which would totally break Myeong-joo's heart. 

If this confrontation had happened much later into the drama, say in episode 14 or 15, then I would be more likely to think that Lt Gen Yoon would end up accepting their relationship. Now, it's just too soon so I don't expect him to understand, much less approve of their relationship. That said, I seriously hope I am wrong because I adore Myeong-joo and the girl deserves to be happy. 

I'm with you on this one.

@bebebisous33  i wish your theory would just happen in next episode..but somehow i think daddy Yoon will not give up so easily. Please, prove me wrong, show!

He even goes to the extent of seeing SJ's dad and insinuates that her daughter and SJ is in some kind of relationship. He would make DY's days even harder, am not suprised if that happens. DY's defo in a hard place, he's such an obedient soldier but his heart is saying something else. Stay strong, Wolf!

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, andy78 said:

The charismatic Daniel Spencer at ‘Descendants of the Sun’

The handsome Daniel Spencer (starred by Jasper Cho)

The rookie actor Cho Tae Kwan also known as Jasper Cho has successfully drawn the attention as the character of Daniel Spencer in ‘Descendants of the Sun’. His exotic look and character absolutely fit the character of Daniel Spencer.

Daniel Spencer (starred by Jasper Cho), the husband of Yae Hwa (starred by Jeon Soo Jin), also the emergency rescue team doctor and the owner of hardware store.

His apperance would be another highlight for the drama. Many viewers are looking forward to more apperances of Jasper Cho in the drama.

http://kpopfighting.com/2016/03/21/the-charismatic-daniel-spencer-at-descendants-of-the-sun/

everybody loves Daniel Spencer... actor  exotic look and character absolutely fit the character of Daniel Spencer...i could not agree more

Wow....he's really handsome & attractive....i love his 'drop the gun' line & i think it's so charismatic... i remember seeing him in superstarK & he's a great singer too....

I have to salute the whole crew of this drama.it is written so well because every character of this drama is really stand out not only the main actor/actress. For example, daniel, nurse, etc. I think this drama can be 'drama of the year' & win lots of awards. DOTS Fighting!

• Like 5

I have an important question: 

How did Daniel and Shi-jin meet? At first I thought they met at some point during Shi-jin's stay in Uruk but then Daniel told Mo-yeon that they've been meeting at funerals in Irak, Afghanistan...etc...which made me realise they've known each other for a while. Plus Daniel seems to know Argus too and dislikes him almost as much as Shi-jin does. And Daniel and Shi-jin seem to be quite good friends.  

So, this seriously begs the question who in the heck is Daniel? A part from being the Hot Half-Korean who might or might not be legally married to Ye-hwa, I have a hard time thinking he's just a doctor-mechanic-hardware store co-owner - philantropist.

He's definitely something else. My personal theory is that he's one of those people who are unable to sit still while there's trouble and that he's been using his obviously extensive skills into helping all the causes he deemed worthy of his time. Probably including helping out in the UN Special Forces missions carried out by Shi-jin's Alpha Team. 

Either way I seriously hope the drama will give us some information about him because I NEED TO KNOW! 

• Like 15