[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Guest Tinkiebell
Just now, annypooh said:

Lol!! So how was the research for science? 

Dots ruined her research too? Lol

What, no. If anything, DotS would help her research tremendously. You see, her research is about the power of "guided imagery" to elicit relaxation response in human brains and she's particularly interested in how much endorphins will be released by her brain when watching all those visually beautiful abs imagery that are shown in DotS. ;) 

2 hours ago, rumasa79 said:

I'm picking out my own call sign!

>>>> Trooper79 to Big Boss. I love your abs and cheeky smiles, over. :P

2 hours ago, sanaeozora said:

Oh! I like this game! :w00t:

Mine:

>>>>> Babycakes to Big Boss: The Chinese Government has named you Person of Mass Destruction. Happy now? OVER.

>>>> Fairy Godmother to Big Boss: it's never too early for ramyeon. Over. 

Tomorrow is Wednesday! i'm excited to watch ep9! continue on MY's 'Public Confession'! hahaha :joy: and our OTP kisseuu?~~ LIPStick... hahaha :kiss_wink:

anyway, i just wanna share my Fanmade videos for DOTS 3 recent OST. hehehe :)

Kim Na young & Mad Clown - Once Again FMV [Eng Sub + Rom + Han] 

K.will - Talk Love (말해! 뭐해?) FMV [Eng Sub + Rom + Han] 

Gummy - You Are My Everything FMV [Eng Sub + Rom + Han]    :

Spoiler

i keep on listening to all of DOTS ost.. i think i'm going crazy already! :sweat_smile:

• Like 20

5 hours ago, gangurhar said:

Yea most have a fixed price based on experience (and to a good extent gender). SHK is one of the higher paid actresses due to her experience and list of hits and  SJK makes more than her  (but much less than say KSH) 

Since DOTS is a hit both SJK and SHK will be able to charge more if they want to for their next project. Otherwise their salaries are fixed from what they stated early on so nothing will change. If the drama was lowly rated SJK would've had to cut his salary but SHK probably would not have had to since she has had many more hit works and is a senior in the industry. 

SJK currently makes $50,300 for each episode according to sources and SHK makes $41,800

this sadly does show the gender gap in salaries given that SHK has been acting since 15 :') 

This is nonsense, almost like you EXPECT there to be these things because it's an Asian country and then try to make things fit.  This is not an informed sentiment, and only furthers ignorance and stereotypes which are not accurate.

There isn't a gender pay gap in Korea compared to Hollywood (which is one of the most Tribal and racist institutions in the US).  The top female stars such as Lee Young Ae and Jun Ji Hyun make exactly the same as the top male stars like Kim Soo Hyun and significantly more (like 40% more) than male Hallyu stars like Lee Min Ho.  This for example in contrast to actresses in the US such as Jennifer Lawrence who makes around 6 cents on the dollar of a top male star like Robert Downey.

Also it's not based on "experience" if it's based on experience how is Kim Soo Hyun who has only been working for half a decade one of the top paid stars in Korea?  It has to do with marketability and draw.  But most importantly success in recent projects.

Generally speaking there are gender differences in Asia and in Korea but in context Korean television is one of the most liberated and female-friendly media industries in the world.  It far outpaces Hollywood or Bollywood for gender equality both in front of the camera and behind it.  For example one of the areas where there's even more discrimination in Hollywood than acting talent is in writing... entire writing rooms in TV being dominated by a small group of almost entirely male, mostly elite, mostly Jewish & white people.  This drama and most of the top dramas in Korea are created, driven, showrun by WOMEN writers.  It's an amazing egalitarian feat considering how women are shut out of much of corporate Asia.  Women are the driving force in many of these shows, and that continues with the fact that women like Jun Ji Hyun, Ha Ji Won, Choi Ji Woo etc are as big mainstream draws as any male actor.  Again contrast to Hollywood and the West where Liberals basically shutter even top actresses to "chick flicks" or some other genre.

The reason for this specific phenomena is interesting in itself.  Compare for example to Japan, which like much of its pop culture is driven by consumption by males and "boy things" everything from super sentai for the kids to JAV and AKB40 for the men.  In Korea, during the development of K-dramas the consumption was almost entirely driven by women, because of how poor Korea was.  Men through the 60-90s were all working until 2 AM and never even home to watch prime time dramas, so the industry naturally gravitated towards the housewives who watched the shows.  Eventually Koreans got smart and started giving women larger roles in writing, production etc.  At the same time, the fact that WOMEN were choosing allowed females to become solid draws and get equal recognition and equal pay.

Anyways the idea that there is widespread gender bias among top billed Korean stars is wrong.  Joong Ki is the headliner.  He was the foundation of the drama, the first person cast.  Even in this thread you can simply click the first page to see.  SHK came along later, she wasn't as "hot" an actor, and has not had the recent successes that Joong Ki has.  Not everything is a square peg in a round hole.  Take the most logical explanation first, before going to conspiracy and agenda.

• Like 19

54 minutes ago, happyboy said:

Anyways the idea that there is widespread gender bias among top billed Korean stars is wrong.  Joong Ki is the headliner.  He was the foundation of the drama, the first person cast.  Even in this thread you can simply click the first page to see.  SHK came along later, she wasn't as "hot" an actor, and has not had the recent successes that Joong Ki has.  Not everything is a square peg in a round hole.  Take the most logical explanation first, before going to conspiracy and agenda.

thanks for the info but what do you meant by "SHK came along later, she wasn't as "hot" an actor, and has not had the recent successes that Joong Ki has?" i'm trying to understand but better asking before i'm making wrong assumption myself.

anyhow i'm admit that maybe i don't have enough knowledge about star salary whatnot but since this drama focus more about kang mo yeon & yoo si jin character and love story between them, song joong ki and song hye kyo both are the main foundation of this drama. just because song joong ki had recent success doesn't mean that this drama success because of him alone. the writers, producers, directors, other actor/actress and all people who involve behind the scene also contribute for this drama too. no need to downgrade other people because of an actor/actress.

• Like 19

The pay gap is unfortunately something that still exists everywhere around the world. Don't pretend women get paid the same (not just in acting, in any function) as men because that's simply not true. But I think that discussion might be a little too much for this thread, don't you agree? @happyboy

• Like 13

Actually I don't think certain posts are heavier than others. I have been following this thread but not commenting.  Because the majority of comments have been along a certain  trend of comments. It is good a forum has different view points.  But this forum has not been very encouraging for expressing  all views rather than having or being encouraged to encourage certain opinions. 

People watch dramas for many reasons. It may not be to the majority or to only for a certain view. Like I do not watch Kdramas just to fawn over abs scenes. I've repeated certain scenes a few times. Like the rappelling nightscene. This time SJK is not wearing a helmet.  Vs the scene where he was the only one wearing sunglasses.  I have to laugh and marvel at the PD. Doesn't mean I didn't like it but it also meant I laughed at the obvious filming scenes. It's like the writer likes to ram the shining halo onto SJK. Not that he doesn't shine well enough on his own.

So yeah I have been disappointed in this forum and chose not to comment. But unlike others, I am not intimidated and am only posting because even I can't take all this " rules" of what is acceptable to read or post.  Remember I was asked to go away because I see flaws in this drama. What a ridiculous  assumption. There are a lot of people who can or want to  watch Kdramas not simply for escapism. K dramas actually tell stories without the excessive need for expletives or nudity like in some Hollywood productions. So yeah I watch Kdramas regularly. And so? I can't comment.

And I aģree with the comment that SJ disobeyed orders. Maybe the writer thinks it's a small matter. And Special Forces soldiers need to have a certain mindset anyway and be an independent functional unit. But its perfectly true that just as there are good superiors in real life there are bad superiors everywhere. When I was a junior officer we had a p**ck of a Captain.  Everyone knew it and he was truly ridiculous in his grandstanding.  To his face I had to obey and could do nothing about it. You know, it doesnt matter what you feel, the military operates on a hierarchy system.  And it's called being hauled in for insubordination when you disobey even for minor issues. 

And that's why I don't go ga-ga over abs scenes or morning runs. And not the reason why I admire the leading males in Kdramas. True they are all almost universally 180cm, have perfect complexions or look after their bodies. It's because most of the time they can act and the Kdramas plots though predictable are enjoyable. And no matter how unfit some ahjusshi soldiers look- they have an acceptable fitness levels and can do the required push ups per minute. Or chin ups. I've supervised enough yearly fitness checks to know. And the SF units? Their morning runs are with full packs on. Not shirtless. And you wonder why I laughed at the shirtless morning runs. Caveat- the Korean SF do shirtless runs in the snow right? 

So yes there is a reason why I don't comment. Because really do I just write and repeat the oft repeated views?  No I don't. But on the other hand neither can I stand having other viewers being told what is acceptable or not here. Soompi rules are the only rules here.

• Like 24

6 hours ago, enzek said:

please don't destroy my hopelessly romantic idiot mode:tears: i don't hear you lalala:phew:

Hahahaha... I would like it to be YSJ too leh but come to think of it, him asking such a question doesn't seem within his character. He's such a gentleman... I don't even think he needs to ask though... Hehehehe... 

the OSTs are siting firmly in their spot since a few weeks now as walls. They are now battling amongst themselves for top spots but Davichi has had #1 for quite some time. Bravo to the team who got such awe-some artists on board. I am sure Junsu and SJK's track will hit #1 when it releases :D

CeGsXXjW8AEnPGl.jpg

• Like 24