[ MBC Sitcom 2012] Stand By/스탠바이

Guest mijoo-pearl

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to laugh out loud at Sukjin's dates with Kim PD.  He is cute.   A for effort.  So his past will be revealed to Kiwoo, so what Kiwoo is going to bring in the consolation prize first love, so the writers can say they made Sukjin happy with his first love.  Sadly, I will treat her like the Aunt, an unwelcome addition and cheap fix to Standby problem if they go that route.  I keep waiting for Standby to pleasantly surprise me.  I still think that videotape will be important either with Sukjin giving up on Kim PD or Kim PD realizing that she does not want Sukjin to give up on her.  Funny episode but I did not pay attention at all to the Dad, Jinhaeng, and our LOVE author.  LOL! 

Guest kimbo39

@lovesparklys,

You're probably right that I was a bit harsh on So Min, but watching her vie for Ki Woo's attention/affection elicits an immediate, visceral repugnance in me. Maybe it's because I'm an old-fashioned dude, and believe the guy should be the proactive one, pulling out all the stops in order to woo the gal, and not vice versa. As you say though, So Min is completely oblivious to KW's actual feelings, and she can't help that she wants to be around him as much as possible.

Suk Jin getting giddy while daydreaming about Soo Hyun and the debacles that followed were a reminder that though he comes across as polished and well put together, he's a complete neophyte when it comes to romantic relationships. Should cut him some slack.

So we're to simply accept that a character who exudes such self belief is going to allow one ignored/rejected text to throw him off? In a way I'm glad Ki Woo is struggling right now regarding Soo Hyun- he needed to be knocked down a peg or two in order to understand that it's going to take more than words and sweet gestures to capture the heart of the woman he desires. He needs to man up! His air of complete confidence may belie an inveterate insecurity- this is perhaps the first time in his adult life his core identity his been challenged and jolted so profoundly. Have to think that growing up without a mother's touch and presence contributes to KW's and Jin Haeng's clumsiness with the opposite sex.

If, as the previews suggest, Suk Jin's past is revealed, it could very well end up being a positive for him in the long run. He needs to confront and come to closure with his past if he is going to ever reach his potential as a human being.

Not to brag (by saying this I know I am :-P), but I was right about the identity of the love author. I knew those hands under the stockings looked more man than woman but they also had the unmistakable softish, feminine-like qualities sported by many a little Asian man.

Guest kimbo39

In what was long overdue, Ki Woo finally ascertains Suk Jin's true identity. Though it may initially be stiflingly uncomfortable for SJ, I still feel in the end it'll be cathartic for him to confront his past. I know the previews suggest KW's exploiting this revelation, but I don't think he's that kind of guy, though who knows how far he will go with Soo Hyun involved.

As I've said before, there are individual elements such as SJ's history that make this an enjoyable sitcom, but the writers' failure to streamline and blend such parts smoothly and coherently has prevented this from becoming a great show.

What a bind for Si Wan. How does he handle Kyung Pyo's massive crush on So Min?

Kyung pyo as always is funny.  Did he and the others actually interact with Soohyun today?  Yes and today was a funny episode and her involvement was key in the hilarity.  That is why I cannot say that I do not like Soohyun as a character and an actress.  I thought she was funny and sweet with  Sukjin in the disaster dates too.  I just think her chemistry plays better with others.  I am happy that it finally came out about Sukjin.  Hopefully he will deal with it, come to some realizations, and move on.  
I think Kyungpyo and Siwan both liking Somin has great comedic potential since I love their relationship. I think in this situation they can be great comfort to each other and the trigger for another event.   :-\"

@semi-fly

I was hoping that Kyungpyo's confession was a transition piece.  I think that Kyungpyo's crush can put Siwan's like of Somin in perspective and be hilarious.  Somin does not see either one of them as men because in this sitcom they aren't.  Both Siwan and Kyungpyo like most boys their age like an older noona but she treats them both like little brothers.  I am also hoping that my lovely odd couple of Siwan and Kyungpyo will bond over their one-side like of Somin and join forces to oust Kiwoo which will lead to Kiwoo finally finding out about Somin's crush and coming back to life. 

@ semi-fly. 

I have not watched many K-dramas and this is my first sitcom but I always thought that there comes a point where the man actually views the person he is attracted to as a woman (i.e. Sukjin and Soohyun), not an annoyance, secretary, maid, etc.   Many times men say that want to be a man to the woman.  For example, Somin saw Kiwoo as a man for the first time when she fell at the studio and he carried her.  He went from annoying person to a man and her like of him followed.  So to a woman, generally, she has to come to a point where she views you as a man , not a friend ,etc., to like you.  Maybe we are saying the same thing but different ways.  

Unfortunately, I have never viewed them as anything but noona/dongsaeng.  I have always sensed that the writers could go the romantic route but their relationship has never been romantic to me.  I think it is because like one review on Couch Kimchi said I view him as a child/boy and I do not view Somin's character as the same (she is naive but not a child).  Especially the episode where she thinks he is not eating and cooks for him, takes him grocery shopping, etc. At the sauna feeding him and convincing him to go with Jinhaeng to have a place to live and have rice which reminded him of his mother saying the same thing.  Her being late for her pasta appointment so he could study.  Somin's relationship with him seems a little too nurturing to me for me to take a romance seriously.  Also, I do not see where Somin needs or wants a high school boy (maybe I am wrong about high school) as a lover/boyfriend no matter how nice he is in return to her.  If they made him as old as he is in reality, maybe I would buy it.  However, I do think that they have a very special friendship but I think he has a special friendship with Kyungpyo too.   

:))

Guest kimbo39

Once again Suk Jin's gargantuan pride and his interminable bitterness exacerbate a situation that could have been defused by some restraint. Ki Woo had ample reason to throw SJ under the bus, but he was the bigger person, and merely fired a warning shot.

While I've been critical of KW's passivity and equally impressed with SJ's proactivity regarding Soo Hyun, today's episode was another reminder of the stark difference between the two men's hearts. KW actually experienced genuine remorse and compassion for SJ, and not only did he 86 the potential SJ expose', but in order to preserve SJ's dignity KW did not mention the inebriated confession. SJ meanwhile is still entrenched in the past after it appeared as if he had turned a corner. I'm sure the writers will redeem his character in the near future, but if I were a woman, I don't know if I'd want to be with a guy who holds such deep-seated grudges in an obsessive, all-consuming manner.

I don't blame SJ for his negative reaction to past wounds, but if he keeps refusing to move on from his regrettable history, he is only holding himself hostage. Hate and acrimony will eventually exact an expensive toll.

Sukjin you have to get over this!!!!!  I think he has not done so because 1)Sukjin is so buried in the past especially when it comes to Kiwoo and 2) Although Kiwoo felt remorse and compassion like always; he feels  something but does not express it to the person who needs to hear it.  Unfortunately, only the audience has all of the pieces to halfway understand Kiwoo.  Sukjin only has his dislike of  him and what he can see on the surface. 

Looks like Kyungpyo is as observant as he is silly.  He takes so little time to see Somin likes Kiwoo.  I hope they finally bring this out.  Really if you are not going to do anything with it  (so far you are not) why keep it going!  End my hopes so I can stop watching. 

Archived