[ MBC Sitcom 2012] Stand By/스탠바이

Guest mijoo-pearl

I have to say I am still rooting for Sukjin because I am not so sure about Soohyun.  Soohyun ran from Sukjin but I have to say she acted like Kiwoo's feelings for her were a burden.  When a woman wants you to keep to yourself that you like her and does not want to accept your previously freely accepted help (hint:  your liking her is a burden).  I do not think that it was just because of the confession from Sukjin either because she wanted to forget about the kiss.  Now, Kiwoo could have stepped forward and said no but he did not.  Kiwoo has not stepped up to the plate but has always been there for Soohyun when she called.  Soohyun has enjoyed his friendship/protection and is happy with nothing more.  Kiwoo and Soohyun are too alike which is why they get along but also why they are a boring potential couple.  
I keep saying that Kiwoo's character has suffered by the writers sticking them together so much but so has Soohyun.  Since her "breakup" with Jinhaeng, she does not have any meaningful interaction with anyone but Kiwoo not even her brother (and they were so cute at the beginning).  If others have not noticed, Kiwoo/Soohyun interact in a bubble.  Their relationship has only flourished because Kiwoo is the only one that knows what happened with Jinhaeng and she is comfortable around him for that reason.  He made her feel better after a very difficult time where he was the only one she could lean on and he accepted the position.  I think if they start interacting with others again they will realize that what they have is a very special friendship but a friendship nevertheless.  If Soohyun lets someone else in, she can see that she does not need a protector anymore. The bubble thing was never more prevalent then in today's episode.  Kiwoo was not hanging all over her blocking Sukjin and what happened.  She interacted with her co-workers today and saw Sukjin for really the first time. You only need to see Kiwoo's panic to know it is true. 
IF the writers do not make him an richard simmons, Sukjin has a very good ability to show Soohyun a relationship where they can mutually rely on each other and that Kiwoo does not have to be lover and friend. So even though you disappointed me today, I am still rooting for you SUKJIN just please writers make him the lovesick puppy he is but not an richard simmons.  

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

I don't know about you guys, but I have checked this thread every single day even though I know there will most likely not be any new posts. LOL. Thank God Standby's coming back this Monday. Anywho, so this hiatus must have gotten to my head because I ended up making this kind of intense KW-SH video. In a way, it'd be sorta interesting to see what would happen if Standby ended up being this dramatic... :P I added English subs too so it should be pretty easy to understand what's going on. If you're not busy, please take the time to watch it. Thanks!
Random crap description I came up with: 
"This video highlights and summarizes most of the progress in Ki Woo and Soo Hyun's relationship throughout the series so far, specifically focusing on the hesitation and uncertainty that the two often expressed both inwardly and outwardly. Towards the end, Ki Woo reaches a revelation point and realizes that he indeed has feelings for her. Soo Hyun is starting to actualize some emotions of her own as well, but will she swallow her insecurities and reciprocate the genuine affection that Ki Woo is gradually unveiling...?"

EDIT: UM. Okay. So Standby just announced on the website message board that airing will be postponed again during August 6 ~ August 10. (I don't know why they only announced July 30 ~ August 3 at first...) *sigh* Looks like it'll be another Standby-less week ahead. 

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

@ semi-fly .. Thanks for watching and for your suggestions! That's actually a really insightful take on those scenes. I never thought of that before! I probably will do another video in the future, so I'll definitely keep what you said in mind. :) 
Also, new pic release from MBC! 
Um... okay, WOW. So according to the written preview for the next episode, the "Queen of Current Affairs" team will be visiting a water park together. MBC just posted this pic on their official Twitter and Facebook pages of four members and their amazing "swimsuit bodies." A teaser indeed. Now the wait for this to come around is going to be even more difficult... xD Hahaha. (Oh yeah, they also officially confirmed that Episode 80 will be airing on August 13. Yippee!) 
633491611.jpg
(Lee Ki Woo, Ha Suk Jin, Kim Soo Hyun, Park Eun Ji) 
Source: bntnews 
EDIT: Here are some individual HQ pics that MBC just uploaded... if anyone is interested~ (Sorry, couldn't get the spoiler tag working again for some reason... >_<)

6335486311.jpg
633548808.jpg
633548722.jpg
633548901.jpg

Guest kimbo39

The complete, utter humiliation and regression of Jin Haeng's character is complete/near complete- a man who to this point has been portrayed as one unmoved and unmotivated by appearance/sexual desire has now suddenly had his basest instincts aroused by a woman he has already seen scantily clad and wet (car wash scene) to no effect? I call BS on this one. Extremely convenient and simplistic on the writers' part.

Oh, and in terms of bodacious bodies, that silly entrance music should have been playing for Soo Hyun not Eun Ji. Let's just say I was impressed by the "volume" in certain spots on such a tall and slender frame.

The childish to-and-fro between Ki Woo and Suk Jin continues with no end in sight. Talk about reverting to the primitive- strutting their stuff in front of SH, trying to demonstrate physical superiority. SJ's questionable erasure of KW's text to SH paid immediate, short term dividends, but once again his bitterness and ego prove to be stumbling blocks. KW seemed resigned to moving on, but SJ's snide, snarky behavior toward his old rival provided the tinder to re-ignite KW's fire for SH. Some may view Ki Woo's countenance at the end of the episode as defeated, but I see a combination of self-frustration and quiet, steely-eyed determination.

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

I don't check Dramabeans that often, which is probably why I didn't notice their "Standby" podcast that they posted last week. Some of you have probably listened to it already, but I wanted to share it just in case others have not. 
Dramabeans Podcast #13: Standby
Although I don't agree with some things that they mention, a lot of good points were brought up. In fact, much of their views seem to coincide with many members here on Soompi, so if you have time (and I mean, a lot of time. It's about 50 minutes), then please do give it a listen! 
If anyone is interested (don't read if you want to), I'll list the main points of their podcast from what I can remember...

• They loooove Suk Jin to pieces, everything about his flawed and layered character intrigues them, he is basically "the heart of the show"
  • If Suk Jin does not end up with Soo Hyun, they want him to at least be with someone so he can be happy (consolation prize)
  • They hate how So Min has been sidelined,  and have rooted for her and Ki Woo since the start (their earlier scenes were cute)
  • Ki Woo-Soo Hyun-Suk Jin love triangle is boring, as is the Ki Woo-Soo Hyun couple 
  • Ki Woo has lost his "spunk" and personality ever since he got involved with Soo Hyun 
  • Kim Soo Hyun (as an actress) is just basic/average, has no charisma, and does not embody her role
  • They do not like old couple and Ryu Jung Woo gets on their nerves (the same as practically all of us... ahaha) 
  • (This one is new) They like the addition of Park Eun Ji and think the stark differences of her messiness and Jin Haeng's OCD-ness makes for a cute story in the future
  • Si Wan/Kyung Pyo bromance is one of the other aspects of the sitcom that they enjoy watching 

@Han Ji Yoon, thank you for posting.  I listened to all of it and was laughing all the way through because I agreed with most of it.  Well basically all of it besides the new girl.  Can Standby fix itself in these last 40ish episodes?  I hope so.  
I wanted Somin to fall on Kiwoo from the tree today so I could stop wanting to fast forward his scenes and looking at his mopey face. I can only think that maybe the writers saw some off screen chemistry between Kiwoo and Soohyun and thought that it would translate.  I still find them boring as hell and now Sukjin cannot even save their uninteresting storyline.  I do believe that is what the writers are doing, using Sukjin to make their mishap couple interesting so they can actually claim to have not made the wrong choice in OTP.  Unfortunately, it is making me like Sukjin more and shows just how boring Soohyun and Kiwoo are in this show ( I know my opinion). Even if Kiwoo does buck up; it does not change the lack of chemistry even if the writers try to force it which they are not ashamed of doing i.e. Jinhaeng and auntie today.  What was that?????????? I mean really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have no words mean enough for those scenes.
I hope tom brings a better episode but if it is centered around this triangle...I might skip it.     

Han.Ji.Yoon, thanks for delineating Dramabeans' podcast, and yep, their points are pretty much what have been expressed on this thread and on our blog. I think their disappointment is why they've stopped doing the highlight reels.
I basically agree with all their points, but like lovesparklys, I don't agree with Eun Ji's addition. To borrow from her lexicon, it's a cheap fix.
Anyway, I don't think Dramabeans' words are the ultimate bible, and I think many of us have had different positions from them and everyone's opinion is as valid as theirs, but to a certain level, javabeans and girlfriday have earned enough respect and reputation for their keen observations, which usually tend to align with the majority's point of view. So, having said all that, I am glad they shared their personal (subjective) opinions about certain parts of the show. They were able to articulate a lot more on why I loved and ultimately gave up on the show. And not meaning to knock those who like the show, but I do feel a bit good after reading the comments on Dramabeans' podcast. It's nice to know that there are many who feel the same way about the show and the changes. It's like being in a support group. There was a time when I thought that maybe I was being too sensitive and harsh with the writers, but reading those comments made me feel that all my criticisms weren't too shallow and had some validity.

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

Lovesparklys and angieknows_11, I'll be honest here... When JB and GF reached certain points in their podcast, I immediately thought of you two. :P ... which is totally not a bad thing because that means you girls must have had really strong, recognizable, and memorable opinions in order for my brain to pick that out. Hahaha.
And I agree, Angie. I really enjoy hearing other people's opinions of this show even if they may not necessarily match with my own... such is the case with Dramabeans. Since I'm in the minority in regards to shipping, etc., a lot of their points did not quite sit well with me, but I do have to admit that their commentary was very engaging and well-thought-out. Really, I guess... any discussion relating to Standby I am happy to read (most of which I get from Soompi, Couch Kimchi, and Tumblr... since I can't find any anywhere else). I was actually a bit surprised to see so many comments on the podcast! I didn't even know 40+ people watched Standby outside of Korea. LOL. 
As of now, I really do not have any clue where the story is going. The love triangle is getting extremely frustrating. People need to make up their minds, or make a dang move. If you're going to do something, then do it. Don't just stand there and look all depressed and then proceed to gaze longingly at what you wish you had. And you, miss, what exactly is it that you want? You need to get your feelings straight, okay. And what's this about Si Wan's mother being included in Ep 81? How is that even supposed to work? Is everything like, really just going to be a dream?
Gah.. D: 

Guest ila_KL

Han.Ji.Yoon said: I don't check Dramabeans that often, which is probably why I didn't notice their "Standby" podcast that they posted last week. Some of you have probably listened to it already, but I wanted to share it just in case others have not. 
Dramabeans Podcast #13: Standby
Although I don't agree with some things that they mention, a lot of good points were brought up. In fact, much of their views seem to coincide with many members here on Soompi, so if you have time (and I mean, a lot of time. It's about 50 minutes), then please do give it a listen! 
If anyone is interested (don't read if you want to), I'll list the main points of their podcast from what I can remember...

• They loooove Suk Jin to pieces, everything about his flawed and layered character intrigues them, he is basically "the heart of the show"
  • If Suk Jin does not end up with Soo Hyun, they want him to at least be with someone so he can be happy (consolation prize)
  • They hate how So Min has been sidelined,  and have rooted for her and Ki Woo since the start (their earlier scenes were cute)
  • Ki Woo-Soo Hyun-Suk Jin love triangle is boring, as is the Ki Woo-Soo Hyun couple 
  • Ki Woo has lost his "spunk" and personality ever since he got involved with Soo Hyun 
  • Kim Soo Hyun (as an actress) is just basic/average, has no charisma, and does not embody her role
  • They do not like old couple and Ryu Jung Woo gets on their nerves (the same as practically all of us... ahaha) 
  • (This one is new) They like the addition of Park Eun Ji and think the stark differences of her messiness and Jin Haeng's OCD-ness makes for a cute story in the future
  • Si Wan/Kyung Pyo bromance is one of the other aspects of the sitcom that they enjoy watching 

Guest kimbo39

Today's episode was a nice, albeit tear-jerking respite from the stale, stagnant Ki Woo-Soo Hyun-Suk Jin love triangle.

Si Wan's and Jin Haeng's "closure" likely paves the way for JH to pursue a relationship with Eun Ji- it makes perfect sense in the drama/sitcom world for him to marry the sister of his tragically perished love.

The preview for the next episode suggests that more attention will be paid to the non-love triangle characters.

I echo the sentiments of others regarding the ennui generated by the KW-SH-SJ storyline. I think the problem is that KW and SH were not developed as extensively as SJ, and thus there is nothing compelling about them as individuals and thus as a potential couple.

This episode was yet another glaring reminder that the writers dropped the ball with JH. The character with the most depth and general appeal is now reduced to punchlines and an on-the-horizon, cringe-worthy relationship as a milquetoast.

I so agree about Jinhaeng.  Watching today made me see how I enjoyed his once lead character's twisted/crazy but loveable antics.  I still do not like THE AUNT and I refuse to learn her name.  If the writers wanted to awaken Jinhaeng's manhood why not use Soohyun, an original character who needed flushing out.  She could have done it and it would have been a much  better than the all of a sudden change in her hair and one episode of her singing in a bar to switch the lovelines. 

From the previews I see that Somin is trying to dance Ma Boy with help from Kyungpyo (who it seems declares her hopeless, I am laughing at the preview).  It maybe too much to hope that the writers have recognized the stalled kiwoo/soohyun loveline and are giving the quirkies (somin/sukjin) a chance to win the hearts of the objects of their affection. 

I know that I am hard on Kiwoo/Soohyun but really what OTP has no real reason not to be together and when they are together, no bickering, no strong emotion just blah.   

Han.Ji.Yoon, LOL. Since lovesparklys and I have been the most vocal (of the WooMin shippers) about the changes, particularly with regards to So Min, Ki Woo, and the shifting lovelines, I'm not surprised we're the ones that popped in your head when you listened to the podcast. LOL. One would think we had our hands up the backside of that podcast. ;) LOL. 
I, too, was surprised at the majority of the like-minded comments on that podcast since it feels like the opinion is pretty evenly divided on this thread. I do have to say that I don't dislike Soo Hyun as javabeans and girlfriday do. I certainly liked her character when she was more quirky than mopey. Unfortunately, I do have to agree with their assessment of Ki Woo. As handsome as he is, I can see why he hasn't been yet rewarded leading man status in his career. He's more enchanting when he's weird and mischievous, as his character in Flower Boy Ramyun Shop. That drama was the first time I was torn between a leading man (Jung Il Woo) and the second lead (Ki Woo). Actually, the qualities his character has now in the current Standby episodes come across as qualities of the second leads we've come to know in Kdramas. They're uber nice, vanilla, and borderline boring. Not that I don't welcome those qualities in a first lead, but I just like my main guys to be chiseled with personal imperfections. What they do with those flaws and how they grow from them make them more engaging to watch than somebody who's pretty much near perfect. I think when Ki Woo finally confesses to Soo Hyun, the question for his character is, then what? How interesting will he become after that? Will he go back to being a milk-chugging mischief? In this regard, I can then see why the writers could be prolonging the triangle. It almost feels like they don't know what to do with the characters if they resolve the [dragging] issue now, especially with 40 more episodes to go. To me, Ki Woo was more interesting when his storyline with Suk Jin was more about their past than this love triangle. 

Anyway, I think it shows in your posts that you are open-minded, and I really appreciate that about you even though we ride on different ships. For instance, you translated and shared that video of Suk Jin's dream about Soo Hyun, and though javabeans' and girlfridays' viewpoints differ from yours, you still went out of your way to share their podcast and summarize it for us :) So, thanks for your contributions, and again, for being broadminded. :D

Guest kimbo39

I like the little moment KW had with the girl group picture- it was self-confirmation that he wants to be with SH.

Thought I was going to appreciate a hiatus from the Ki Woo-Soo Hyun-Suk Jin triangle, but it's getting brutal to watch So Min pathetically debase herself, all to garner the attention of a clearly uninterested KW.

Si Wan made a semi-move, and I'm glad he's now starting to think about his own emotions and interests regarding SM.

It would be easy to castigate SM for myopically chasing KW while almost thoughtlessly reaping benefits and comfort from SW (you know, the one who genuinely and unconditionally cares for her), but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants. 

This episode did a solid job of creating some anticipation. KW is clearly not going to concede, SW may be on the verge of a full fledged confession, and KP now finds himself crushing, and badly. That living situation with SM could get awkward! :-P

By the way, did anyone miss Eun Ji? Me either.

I may start watching Standby just on the weekends if I feel like it.
I have to disagree that So Min is pathetically debasing herself because of a few reasons:
1)  We as the audience are privy to one important fact that she has no clue about.... Kiwoo likes Soohyun, basically her roommate.  Somin lives with Soohyun and lives next door to Kiwoo and like all the other cast, but Sukjin, has no clue about Kiwoo liking Soohyun.  To Somin, since he is not seeing Soohyun's friend (which he did date by the way), he is free.  
2) I cannot remember all of her crazy things but I have to say that she has not done anything really pathetic.  She climbs trees so she can get a view of Kiwoo coming because she rarely gets to see him. But notice, every time she is up a tree looking for Kiwoo, she climbs down for Siwan.  When she does see Kiwoo in the pasta shop she serves him milk and while she is delivering milk;  she saves him some because she knows he likes it.  She will cook for him.  When she thought he needed some paperwork that was thrown out she tracked it down for him and accepted that he would not understand what she did for him.  Today, she heard that he had an interest in SISTAR and learned the dance he liked for her birthday party. When you like someone you pay attention to what they like.  When you like someone you want to be near them. You will do all you can for them without hope of reward. If someone liking you back was a requirement for falling in love there would be alot less broken hearts in the world.  I admire that Somin is liking Kiwoo without demand that he like her back. 
3)  Her character is not sophisticated and very naive but she is in touch with her emotions and she cannot help that she likes him. I respect her more because it looks like she was going to confess the night she saw him at the party with Soohyun's friend, but when she saw Kiwoo with the friend, she became down on herself and judge herself as not worthy of him.  Somin has an insecurity problem. 
4) Also in comparing her with Soohyun, there is no way in the world Soohyun really does not know that Kiwoo likes her at this point.  Somin resolved her issue with Siwan in one 30 minute episode.  Somin was very direct.  She heard he liked her.  She tried to see if he liked her and asked about it.  Siwan did not reveal that he liked her. Which is why I thought the green light/red light was so poignant at the end of that episode. It showed how the moment can quickly pass.  Siwan had a green light but he hesitated until it turned into a red.  
I agree that Siwan is nice to Somin but that does not bound her to like him or look to him romantically. Siwan does not have this big challenging love for Somin.  In fact there is no reason for him not to like her.  She has been a really good friend to him and never treated him poorly.   This is not a relationship that is one sided with Somin getting all of the benefit of Siwan's friendship.  She is very supportive of him, however, she has always treated him as a friend.  Case in point if a girl tells a boy about liking another boy, she has no romantic interest in him and vice versa.  She treats Siwan like a girlfriend. What person has not ditched a friend FOR  time with a boyfriend or potential boyfriend?  It happens all the time and just because Siwan likes her does not make it wrong.  
Also, today I thought and I may be wrong that Kiwoo told Siwan that he would not make it to her party.  So why didn't he just tell her Kiwoo was not coming.  
This post is too long...Sorry

Archived