[ MBC Sitcom 2012] Stand By/스탠바이

Guest mijoo-pearl

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kimbo39

The introduction of yet another character?!

The one thing that struck me about today's episode is Suk Jin's erroneous conclusion that Soo Hyun is acting distant because of his past including his old look. It just reinforces how deep-seated his bitterness and hurt are. Has he already forgotten SH's encouraging him to stop fixating on the opinions of others? Hasn't he seen enough of SH up close and personal to know she isn't the shallow, petty person that couldn't/wouldn't see beyond his history? He is choosing to stay in his personal prison even though the door is unlocked.

Just as with most momentous life changes, there are going to be some steps taken backward after some are taken forward.

Guest kimbo39

Not a fan of yet another character introduction this late in the game, but I gotta admit it is amusing to see Joon Geum be put in her place by an even stronger force. Bet Jung Woo didn't think at his age he'd be between the rock that is his mother and the hard place that is his new wife.

The Fates (i.e. the writers) are working against Suk Jin. I was a bit surprised that he didn't try to meddle, and manipulate the situation to get Soo Hyun and Yun Woo to be the undercover couple. That little faux couples exercise/competition may have finally set Ki Woo on an inexorable trajectory toward Soo Hyun. Again, a little disappointed that there were no shots of a concerned and ticked off SJ. You'd think he'd at least show up to the event place to spy.

Do we need another episode of Soohyun singing a song  and a forced couple show, to try to make Kiwoo/Soohyun interesting or get Kiwoo to say he wants a relationship?  Writers if you have to work this hard to make a couple, think about giving it up.  They bring yet another girl on for Kiwoo to date .  Kiwoo is again letting the girl down and finding a way to stand there looking constipated at Soohyun.  I like Kiwoo but his constant scenes like this are annoying especially since there is NO REASON FOR THEM NOT TO BE TOGETHER.   I guess when Sukjin sees the tape and realizes that Soohyun may like Kiwoo he will tell  Soohyun about Kiwoo liking her thereby the writers will pat themselves on the back for making Sukjin let go of his grudge against Kiwoo,  Kiwoo and Soohyun get together and act like they had a reason NOT to be together,  Kiwoo and Sukjin will have a bromance with Sukjin admitting that Kiwoo is the best,  Kiwoo the wonderful will get consolation prize girl to come be with Sukjin (nothing like getting the one you don't want ) speaking of which then Somin will have an epiphany realize, as the writers are determine to try and show, that Kiwoo is too good, mature, and tall for her and cast herself into Siwan's consolation prize arms if he can prevent her from falling with those high school guns. BS I say  BS..........................

Anyway tom. looks interesting.  I guess they are relegating Somin to the kiddie corner with Kyungpyo and Siwan such a waste but maybe I can get a laugh out of it.     

A lot of skin-ship between Ki Woo and Soo hyun in this episode. But it still didn't convey any of soohyun's feelings. I really really need to see Soo hyun's reaction. Up till this point it's just been wishy washy, indecisive feelings, I need some concrete feelings now!!!

lovesparklys said:

Do we need another episode of Soohyun singing a song  and a forced couple show, to try to make Kiwoo/Soohyun interesting or get Kiwoo to say he wants a relationship?  Writers if you have to work this hard to make a couple, think about giving it up.  They bring yet another girl on for Kiwoo to date .  Kiwoo is again letting the girl down and finding a way to stand there looking constipated at Soohyun.  I like Kiwoo but his constant scenes like this are annoying especially since there is NO REASON FOR THEM NOT TO BE TOGETHER.   I guess when Sukjin sees the tape and realizes that Soohyun may like Kiwoo he will tell  Soohyun about Kiwoo liking her thereby the writers will pat themselves on the back for making Sukjin let go of his grudge against Kiwoo,  Kiwoo and Soohyun get together and act like they had a reason NOT to be together,  Kiwoo and Sukjin will have a bromance with Sukjin admitting that Kiwoo is the best,  Kiwoo the wonderful will get consolation prize girl to come be with Sukjin (nothing like getting the one you don't want ) speaking of which then Somin will have an epiphany realize, as the writers are determine to try and show, that Kiwoo is too good, mature, and tall for her and cast herself into Siwan's consolation prize arms if he can prevent her from falling with those high school guns. BS I say  BS..........................

Anyway tom. looks interesting.  I guess they are relegating Somin to the kiddie corner with Kyungpyo and Siwan such a waste but maybe I can get a laugh out of it.     

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

Please, can there be a little consistent development in this series? Is that too much to ask? And by consistent development I don't mean multiple episodes of angsty brooding and longing gazes (yes, you know who you are), but consistent development as in... You start something. You go for it. Things are going well, keep it up. You fail, then sure, go ahead and try again if you really want to. But please oh please, do not go back to square one. Do not just run around in circles. Do not make so much progress in the race if you're only going to end up back at the starting line. 

Seriously, how many times have we seen Ki Woo go through the same exact emotional cycle? Oh, okay... you might like her. Well I guess that's kind of cute. Hey! You're about to make a move-- Wait, nevermind. False alarm. Now you're acting distant... no now you're back to being friends again. Just friends. You don't like that, do you? Oh but you're going to pretend like it doesn't matter for her sake. Well, why don't we go out on a blind date just for the heck of it then! Oh no, she needs your help again. What are you going to do? Yeah, walk away-- no, wait. What are you doing. You're going back for her. Okay sure, whatever... but why didn't you tell her how you really felt? OH. LOOK. You're about to do it! You're almost there! .... Aaand.... you stopped. Seems like you're set on giving up on her... Yeah, that'd be great if you hadn't resolved to do the same thing, oh let's say, TEN TIMES BEFORE. *sigh* 

And what's up with Soo Hyun? We've seen enough of what Ki Woo and Suk Jin are doing/feeling/thinking. Now we need to see her take on all of this and what she plans on doing to "fix" it all. Really, everything is in her hands.  

Right now I really don't know where the story is going... but the farther it goes along, the more dragged out it seems to get. To be honest, if this series was capped at 100 episodes, I could totally see every single "storyline" being resolved within the next 9 eps (possibly via lovesparkly's scenarios up there! Hahaha). 

Today confirms to me how messed up this story is.  In the beginning I rooted for Jinhaeng, wanted him to notice Soohyun, and had good vibes about his character.  Later when they gave him a bit part, I really wanted to see them do something with his story.  Today, I barely paid any attention to him and the aunt.  I am not invested in their story/loveline at all.  At this late date, I just wish they would get off the screen.  This is why I think Standby should have concentrated on the characters they had and not bring additional ones that do not move the story along. 

I guess Papa Ryu finds out about Somin liking Kiwoo tom.  Maybe?  I wish it was Kiwoo.  Personally, I always had the feeling that Kiwoo liked Somin first but his personality was so cocky, he came across as the boy pulling her ponytail.  Then when Jinhaeng broke Soohyun's heart, he became drawn into helping her get over it.  I am not saying that he does not have an emotional connection to Soohyun but something is not right here.  You have the guts to kiss a girl after dating her friend but not to confess, fishy. 

@angie-knows, han ji yoon, can you tell I am frustrated with this show if not let me tell you I have rewritten it totally for the woominers out there.  So even if I see it to the end to support somin's comeback, I have a better one in mind to make me happy....LOL! 

:-c

Guest kimbo39

"Seriously, how many times have we seen Ki Woo go through the same exact emotional cycle? Oh, okay... you might like her. Well I guess that's kind of cute. Hey! You're about to make a move-- Wait, nevermind. False alarm. Now you're acting distant... no now you're back to being friends again. Just friends. You don't like that, do you? Oh but you're going to pretend like it doesn't matter for her sake. Well, why don't we go out on a blind date just for the heck of it then! Oh no, she needs your help again. What are you going to do? Yeah, walk away-- no, wait. What are you doing. You're going back for her. Okay sure, whatever... but why didn't you tell her how you really felt? OH. LOOK. You're about to do it! You're almost there! .... Aaand.... you stopped. Seems like you're set on giving up on her... Yeah, that'd be great if you hadn't resolved to do the same thing, oh let's say, TEN TIMES BEFORE. *sigh*"

@Han.Ji.Yoon. The equally amusing and frightening thing about your synopsis is that it's a common occurrence in real-life relationships!

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

Lovesparklys, I was laughing after reading your comment because of that smiley you put at the end! Ahahaha. Yes, it seems like all of us had/have many better ideas for this show. One comment on Couch Kimchi caught my eye..
I may be bordering on extreme rudeness here but I think that the writer’s are on crack or they have gone on a strike, and the producers are making the janitor fill their place in secret.
Now wouldn't it be great if it was us that filled in that spot? :P Oh, the possibilities... 
Anywho, enough of that. Wow, is that really what happens in real life when it comes to those types of relationships? Oh goodness... I guess I wouldn't know. Looks like I should be getting out more... LOL. 

Archived