[ MBC Sitcom 2012] Stand By/스탠바이

Guest mijoo-pearl

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kimbo39

Very astute on Ki Woo's part to keep himself on Soo Hyun's RADAR in a non-threatening, non-stressful manner, mildly (and continually) reminding her of his intentions and the depth of their relationship.

It seems to be working...

Kyung pyo is so sweet.  I just love him to pieces.  It looks like tom Somin might realize that Kiwoo likes someone.  Looking forward to tom at least Kiwoo/Somin have a scene together.  Does anyone actually know how many episodes are left?  I hear we are going to 120ish maybe. 

Had to be done. No sense in stringing So Min along any more. Didn't think it would be such a dramatic moment, but I guess that's how deep SM's affection for Ki Woo runs. "Standby" does a good job of capturing these tense, heartbreaking moments. So now SM is caught in two parallel storylines in which a romantic revelation causes conflect between friends. The preview for the next epi suggests that SM is not going to immediately move on, but I think she should- KW never really viewed her as a potential mate from the start. She's just a younger/little sister to him.

Glad Somin found out but I think it would have been better if Kiwoo found out about Somin.  I say this because I see Standby again trying to use her character with Sukjin to make their OTP more interesting.  I can't say that Kiwoo saw her as a little sister from the start or that they have a brother/sister chemistry because I know they were suppose to a couple from the beginning and their screen time was limited in favor of establishing another loveline.  I don't care for Soohyun dating Sukjin if she likes Kiwoo and I don't care for Kiwoo hanging around like a stalker during Soohyun and Sukjin's dating.  I think Soohyun should just fall in Kiwoo's arms already if they are the endgame because they still have no reason not be together.  Even Paparyu and his wife had a better love story. 

I think it was more Somin's acting that made the scene dramatic than good dramatic scenes being Standby's modus operandi  Their other dramatic scenes other than Sukjin tend to be people staring at other people in what is suppose to be a longing manner, as we saw today that does not elicit the same emotion.  Anywho hoping standby hurries and ends soon.  I would really like to see these actors in other roles.  I hear Sukjin already has another one which I think is a attributable to his acting and great character on Standby.  He is truly the standout here. 

I guess love makes one desperate, bringing out the manipulative minx inside So Min. I never got the faulty logic of thinking that removing the object of a crush's desire is going to lead that crush into your direction. The end of the episode displayed the difference between Ki Woo's and Suk Jin's understanding of Soo Hyun- she's an unassuming, understated, simple gal, who prefers small, private gestures over theatrical, public productions which make her uncomfortable. This may come across as callous, but I'm glad SM's plot backfired; she needs to come to grips that this KW (not the originally written one) only has eyes for SH and not for her.

Nice to see Sam D will have his own storyline coming up.

Today is my sign off day with Standby.  As typical of Standby, they are using the characters that they managed to make interesting and funny, Somin and Sukjin, to try and help out their boring OTP.  This has Sukjin deleting the text written all over it. You even use the same plot over and over. I see Somin's reasoning.  Soohyun lest we forget is dating Sukjin.  Somin helped Kiwoo get in good with Soohyun (in her mind) by teaching him to make pasta, so I don't blame her for helping Sukjin. To her and to me, if Soohyun is dating Sukjin then Kiwoo should butt out.  This is the reason I said that Kiwoo should have found out about Somin liking him not Somin finding out he liked Soohyun.  We all knew Somin would be devastated but it would have added a new dynamic to see how Kiwoo would react.  As it stands you are still not taking Sukjin and Somin's emotions into account.  Those two things are not stopping Kiwoo and Soohyun from being together.  They are stopping themselves and that is why noone cares.  So stop using the other characters in this ridiculous manner.  
After 100 episodes, I refuse to see this slow uninteresting so called romance play out any longer since there is no hope of this thing turning out well for any of my favorite characters.  I just hope that Somin  gets on with pasta making but is not thrown at Siwan to make him happy.  Sukjin, I wish you a better woman than Soohyun and Somin a better man than Kiwoo.  I can only suffer so much for Somin's comeback but I take comfort in the fact that this is probably not the Standby that was originally sold to the actors.  
Since I am going to stop abusing my fast forward button. My parting words for Standby.......  The story is what makes or breaks a show.  Your story broke you. You had fine actors, actresses, and characters but your writing ruined it.  I am not saying that you can't write (the one episode romance with Siwan/Somin was the best one you had on the show, too bad it was not between your own characters, and Sukjin, as a character, is amazing) but something got in your way with Standby.  
You should trust in the story you start with, a good story brings in the audience, changing your story to get the audience makes a disorganized mess.  Don't advertise and start promises you can't keep, and don't be so one sided in your writing. Your biggest mistakes were  
1)switching Soohyun's loveline with Jinhaeng.  You set up that romance for 40 episodes. Then you abruptly switch it for a loveline with Jinhaeng's brother.  Not the basis for an OTP.  Also, the switched caused you to write Soohyun and Kiwoo so differently that I became indifferent to their characters. I started to not care about them one way or the other.  Not the basis for an OTP.  
2)Adding Soohyun to the Sukjin/Kiwoo relationship.  Sukjin and Kiwoo had a great story without Soohyun.  Kiwoo and Sukjin could have been a funny adult Siwan/ Kyungpyo. 
3)You should have kept the Kiwoo/Somin loveline but had Siwan/Kyungpyo on the side causing trouble and bonding.   
As I said I have already rewritten Standby to my liking.  As to everyone on here, it has been nice reading your comments and hope to see you on other threads.  
Adios :-h :-h

Archived