[ MBC Sitcom 2012] Stand By/스탠바이

Guest mijoo-pearl

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very happy to see Somin at least have a storyline today.  However, wasn't today the perfect vehicle not just for laughs but to reveal her liking Kiwoo.    It was sad how she drunkenly revealed that Kiwoo was in her heart and had to face Paparyu but instead of moving the story along and bringing some excitement Standby chose to use this moment only for a  laugh.  What a waste!    

I guess we are determined to make the aunt a bigger part of ther show than the original cast.  I may not have said it on here before but this sister to sister/brother to brother loveline stuff is icky to me.  On to next week I guess......

I liked the interaction with Soohyun and Sukjin today.  

Did anyone else notice Kiwoo's confession flashbacks were of Sukjin! LOL! I am glad this is over. I think it shows how overdone something is when even people who don't like the couple are happy that Kiwoo confessed. I hated that they played the same music that they played when Somin found the papers for Kiwoo at the fountain, don't mix songs.

Nothing they can do will make me believe that Kiwoo's confession is a surprise to Soohyun. To me even his confession is lacking and it is not the acting. There is something fishy with Kiwoo or maybe I am just imagining the fishy part because it is Kiwoo/Soohyun.

Tom. looks interesting, couple rings, really, Sukjin, you are too cute!

;;)

Guest kimbo39

While I am loath to overemphasize chemistry, the Soo Hyun-Suk Jin dynamic continues to comes across as stiflingly formal and much too often awkward. SH is forcing things with him because she feels it's "the right thing to do." As in life and most certainly in Korean TV, accepting a couple ring is nowhere near binding.

It was refreshing to see Ki Woo realizing and then admitting to Soo Hyun his error in waiting so long to express his true feelings to her. I was impressed with his gentle refusal to give up, so as to not place any undue pressure on SH. The two of them are the more natural pair, and it goes beyond their model looks and stature- there is an ease and playfulness about their relationship that is in stark contrast to SJ's and SH's tentative, almost wooden interaction.

Now I'm not saying that Suk Jin and Soo Hyun cannot eventually grow into a more comfortable, vibrant couple, nor am I saying that Ki Woo's and Soo Hyun's facile connection is a guarantee of success. My personal preference would be to end up with a girl that is my friend first, around whom without qualm and restraint I was able to be myself from the start, and vice versa.

Anybody else think that Suk Jin dropping the ring outside on the passenger side of his car was a possible foreshadow to his finding the kiss tape?

Today's episode...............many things run through my head.....the good is that Jinhaeng's love for Siwan is crazy but touching in a way. Papa Ryu as always evokes words better saved for a place that does not restrict four letter words. 

Speaking of words with four letters.......I was very lukewarm about Soohyun since the Jinhaeng disaster and Kiwoo loveline but today I switched to cold.  I could not stand the silly (I refuse to call it cute) act with Sukjin aimed at Kiwoo.  It is wrong to both of them.  Woman up Soohyun and say what you want and who.     

One of my many problems with Standby is they seem bent on acting like Soohyun, Kiwoo, and even Siwan's emotions are the only ones that are serious, heartfelt, etc.  They used Somin's confession for a laugh and are always cuing that laughter with Sukjin.  Just because their characters are funny does not mean their hearts are not true.  I think Standby is using this belittling of other characters to try and put Soohyun's  relationship with Kiwoo on some higher level. However, her relationship with Kiwoo was always based on her need to have a shoulder to cry on after Jinhaeng and Kiwoo's guardian angel complex (fulfilling a need but not needing the credit for it).  Not the stuff a higher level love or friendship is based on.  I am not saying that they do not have a connection but has Kiwoo revealed his deepest secret to her like Sukjin.  I still find them compatible, comfortable but lacking in heart.  If they do put them together please do it quickly.  I am still holding out hope that once Sukjin see the tape and withdraws from Soohyun; she will realize that she likes Sukjin.  However at this point, I don't know if I like her enough to care if she loses Sukjin. 

I don't know if anyone has watched high kick 3, but suk jin and kim pd totally remind me of young wook (or whatever his name was---the poor student guy) and teacher park. she felt like she 'had' to be with him because it was the right thing to do. however, this storyline was soon resolved (unlike this one!) and she got together with teacher yoon, who liked her at first but was a tad bit too late in confessing (kiwoo?). 
I really wished things went this way, but it seems it is not.
I've been really trying to hold on to this show. Hold on to my kim/ryu PD couple,but as things are turning out, I find it hard to grasp onto them now =(we don't have much episodes left, and honestly ...NONE of these characters have improved. they've all stayed in their little hole. It's quite a disappointment actually.

@semi-fly

To me Sukjin is the only character that I can say has truly evolved in a positive way. 

He was a man haunted by his past and determined to bury it.  He is haughty and strives for perfection because in his childhood he realized any imperfection or insecurity others see is a weakness. Not all people can just get over being teased etc.  We got a small glimpse but he had those teeth and that burden for life.  Some people can get over something like that quickly, some need counseling, some need time, some people never do get over it.  There are alot of damaged adults in this world whether they can admit it or not based on childhood incidents. 

It appears because of this he never really thought about love since that girl earlier (please don't bring her back it will be so cheap if you do)  which was why he was so floored to realize that he liked Soohyun. He went from daily rants in his car to maybe two times a month.  LOL!  He has shown tenderness and caring to Soohyun and Kyung pyo.  He revealed his secret to Soohyun, listened to her, likes to watch her sleeping, went to get medicine for her, tracked down her cd, asked her brother what she likes, allowed her to fall on him, cooked for her, tried to find out how to date her, worries for her, and wants to commit to her.  He genuinely likes Kyung pyo and laughs when he is with him.  He does not look down on him instead he sees potential and a younger him with an upbeat attitude.   I think he has displayed deep emotion that has nothing to do with anger, hate or jealousy. 

I did not mean to say that the characters lack emotion.  I am saying that the writers are doing the story a disservice by using always using some character's emotions as food for laughter (i.e. Sukjin, Jinhaeng, and Somin) while trying to paint other characters emotions as true or deep (i.e. Kiwoo, Soohyun, Siwan). I believe that is one of the reasons we have the uneven character and story development.    

Archived