[ MBC Sitcom 2012] Stand By/스탠바이

Guest mijoo-pearl

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest arinkorin

The high school rivalry is going to happen for the 2nd time, but only for Suk Jin though cos' Ki Woo has never thought Ha Su Do as a rival, it was just Suk Jin misunderstanding the situation. So it's the first time for Ki Woo! Interesting. Eventhough I'm totally rooting for Ki Woo, it'll be sad to see Suk Jin 'losing' the second time if the show goes along the predictable road. 
and I think as for now Ki Woo is 100% sure of his feelings towards Soo Hyun, I hope he's not confessing yet just because of his intention not wanting to burden Soo Hyun with too many confessions instead of fearing rejection (just like what kimbo39 initially suggested). 
I see Si Wan still having a one-sided crush on So Min based on the preview for today's episode. Things have not really changed eh? I hope So Min will know about Si Wan's feelings too. Whether it's going to be mutual or not is another story. 
Anyway sharing a picture of Ki Woo shared on Standby's official twitter today! I wonder if these kids are involved with the shooting or not hmmm.
619637915.jpgsource: twitter.com/mbcstandby

Guest kimbo39

Spoilers

And so the battle to win Soo Hyun's heart begins in earnest. Let the pettiness and one-upsmanship commence! Not much in today's episode about this tantalizing storyline.

Ki Woo really isn't messing around- dig the fact that he was crystal clear regarding his Soo Hyun intentions with a stupefied Suk Jin. As KW so astutely pointed out, it's all about what SH wants which in the end could be neither guy.

Haha, didn't think Si Wan had a nefarious/spiteful side, but without hesitation (when So Min was seemingly out of sight) and without remorse he gulped down that milk intended for Ki Woo! I'm sure others noticed the instantaneous change in SW's countenance and his pouty attitude when he realized SM was buying the pricy seafood for Ki Woo and not for him. Not surprising that he developed a stomach ache on two fronts. LOL, look at the 180 he did when So Min decided to use the expensive abalone on him instead of KW. Of course the writers had to stick it to SW one last time at the end of the episode- I'm wondering if SW will start resenting KW.

Si Wan continues to develop twinkle eyes whenever So Min is serving him food/caring for him in a maternal role. She in a way is partially filling a major void in his life, and one has to wonder if SW's feelings for SM derive mostly from his desire for a mother and not necessarily a lover. He wouldn't be the first or last man to fall for a woman primarily because she reminds him of mom. 

Poor So Min. She is completely misreading/allowing herself to misinterpret Ki Woo's kindness toward her, and it's engendering a hope that will surely be devestatingly dashed in the near future. I do appreciate that the writers didn't simply have SM suddenly move on, but it is likely to end in harrowing heartache for the aspiring pasta chef which ultimately will probably lead her into the arms/onto the shoulder of Si Wan.

I won't lie. I was tickled pink when Jin Haeng exploited an oblivious Eun Ji for some spending dough; you would think she'd be doing a better job of pinching her pennies given her debts.

I think today's episode shows and reminds how somin has always treated siwan well.  They are friends and have a very nice relationship.  I am hoping that him giving kiwoo the pasta was siwan realizing that fact. Not every good relationship between a male and a female who are nice to each other should turn romantic.  I can't help but think that it is similar to kiwoo/soohyun.  Helping a person through a difficult time and becoming close to that person does not mean that is the person who makes your heart beat. That is what I feel is lacking with kiwoo.  
I understand that kiwoo has thrown down the gauntlet for soohyun's affections but I can't help but think the way he is going about it, he thinks he has won.  He is very matter of fact to sukjin, which makes me think he wants him to give up.  Perhaps he thinks that the kiss won it for him but I am not convinced.  There is something romantically lacking in his relationship with soohyun. I don't think kiwoo has been knocked on his "but" by love and I do not think soohyun is the one to do it.  I know they kissed and he was looking at her picture when he had an accident but there is a basic excitement that is missing from him.  I know all react to love differently but still love is never a wet blanket.  
I know that sukjin started out without good intentions, but I believe that he has shown genuine and passionate emotion for Kim PD.  I like sukjin because he is one of the few characters that I can see growth in with the show.  He started off as an angry, bitter person.  He did move past his high school issues in that he fixed what he thought was wrong with himself and became successful.  He works and practices his work to gain perfection because he still sees that high schooler.  He works hard, but I do not think he really considered having a love aspect of his life.  Kiwoo being in the picture was like a trigger for him, so I can't blame him for ill feelings for Kiwoo.  It is just like that girl who made your life hell in high school because she was too into herself to care or that boyfriend you thought you had gotten over, sometimes their mere presence can throw you off.  Even though Kiwoo did not know what his innocent but really obnoxious and self-serving actions did to Sukjin; it does not change the damage done.  
From the beginning to now sukjin has shown progress.  I love how someone else said, "it took everything in him to acknowledge he liked soohyun and put himself on the line".  I bet he has not done that since high school when he went back to the other girl with the bike.  I am rooting for you sukjin, I hope you win the girl's heart.  

Guest pinkparakeet

I have been lurking this thread for quite some time now and have finally decided to share my opinion.
@lovesparklys ... As much as I agree with you on your points about close friendships, I do not believe the blame should be placed directly on Ki Woo for his “lack of feeling.” The writers have simply given Suk Jin much more development in regards to his emotions, whereas Ki Woo has basically been condemned to concealing everything even remotely negative up until now. Now, I definitely cannot speak for him and take the words from his mouth, but for me, I feel that Ki Woo holds a certain special affection that transcends what we normal viewers can sense. As human beings, we’ve been so acclimated to only take in what is obvious and what we see on the outside rather than taking the time to stop and analyze the bigger picture. Every little event between them shows the gradual build-up of what I perceive as affection, if not “love.” (I know that the same thing can be said for other pairings also, but I suppose we all have our own viewpoints and opinions about what is genuine and what is not).

I don’t think that Ki Woo believes he has ‘won’. He feels that Suk Jin did not take Soo Hyun’s feelings into consideration and is irritated by his actions. His main intention for confessing is mostly for the sake of Soo Hyun and not himself. He sees that she is obviously stressed out about what Suk Jin said, and he somewhat chastises him for putting her on the spot, especially in front of their co-workers. Albeit Ki Woo does admonish Suk Jin in a way that is somewhat audacious… but you can’t blame a guy for being a little protective over someone that he deeply cares for. Even at the end, he brings his argument back to the fact that everything depends on her decision, and not their own.

It is true Suk Jin has become quite successful, but part of that drive to succeed was because of his urge to take revenge on Ki Woo for the inadvertently detrimental deeds he committed in high school. I agree that Suk Jin has changed, but as of now, I don’t think he has completely moved on from his problems in the past. He appears confident and  fearless in front of others, boasting about his fanclub and his busy schedule, but this rough exterior is merely a façade that he dons in order to cover up his vulnerability underneath.

Now that the real battle has begun, I think Ki Woo can finally take control of his true feelings and fight for Soo Hyun’s love. As it stands now, I’m not sure if anyone has the upper hand, and like many others have said before, it might all come down to Soo Hyun. However, I still root for Ki Woo because throughout the show, it seems as if he has been acting as her “guardian angel.” All he needs to do now is make that more apparent. Maybe then, Soo Hyun would finally realize what was right in front of her all along.

@pinkparakeet Hello glad you posted.  
I disagree that kiwoo holds a special affection that transcends what we viewers see.  It was obvious that the show switched gears and wanted to explore his relationship with soohyun ( maybe they sensed a potential romantic chemistry that I do not (my opinion), but their relationship exploration while again obvious was not from the beginning of the show.  She was completely concentrated on his brother for over half of the show and kiwoo was a working but playful jokester and guardian angel to everyone.  Their pairing potential started at the current midway point of the show when his brother turned soohyun down and he came to her rescue as the show guardian angel. That is when his character stopped developing in other ways and became the reserved, guardian angel of one,  Kiwoo of today. To me his character was hindered not helped by the change in story direction.  
Telling a rival rather than the object of your affection that you like/care for her is a cowardly way out and to chastise your rival about his manner of confessing is arrogant.  If Sukjin meant to reaffirm his confession in front of her co-workers is one thing but his not being deterred by their showing up and retracting his statement or lying about what he said was DAEBAK!  Remember soohyun and kiwoo looked for him all day.  I think the "soohyun was upset and flustered, it is her decision, think more about her" lines were very self-serving. How can soohyun decide if he does not proclaim that he is in the game and what girl is not flustered by a confession? Again cowardly and self-serving, which is why I believe that he has not been knocked on his but by love yet.   
Sukjin did not become successful to take revenge on Kiwoo, if he did, why didn't he seek Kiwoo out to take revenge.  He showed his dislike for Kiwoo when he invaded HIS workplace.  The fact that Sukjin has these issues and a less sure side of himself is what makes him appealing and his growth amazing to me.  I went from ignoring him on the screen and laughing at this car rants to seeing a better side of him especially when he is with soohyun's brother.   Again, I say being there for someone does not a romance make especially if Korean dramas hold true. I am still rooting for sukjin/soohyun and somin/kiwoo, however as always the writers can do whatever they want to the story.  The only question reminds is how long I will watch a show I enjoyed more at the beginning. On to the next episode......

Guest kimbo39

Really just want to express one thing after today's episode.

Ki Woo may think he's doing the right thing by concealing his true desires from SH/feigning obliviousness to SM, but in reality his passiveness is holding Soo Hyun, So Min, Suk Jin, and even himself (most of all), "hostage."

Gotta say that KW is being flagrantly selfish because he's really only protecting himself by playing dumb while knowing how Suk Jin and So Min both feel. He's put himself in a position where he can continue to safely gauge Soo Hyun's thoughts and emotions, biding his time, and acting at an opportune moment for him, squeezing Suk Jin out. In a way it's brilliant, but I agree with SJ that in the end it's dirty. Ki Woo comes across as craven, as if he were afraid to go mono a mono with his high school classmate on level terms.

I'm not a fan of SJ, but he definitely has been the better man than Ki Woo when it comes to Soo Hyun.

Guest arinkorin

At first I thought that Ki Woo could finally sense that So Min is having a crush on him, but in the end he didn't right?and tomorrow we're going to see Suk Jin and Ki Woo trying to impress Kyung Pyo?Ki Woo needs to at least give some hints to Soo Hyun before anything else, please Ki Woo please.He's nice and everything, but like what almost everyone has said before, him being like this won't really help to make things progress either.

Guest kimbo39

At first I thought that Ki Woo could finally sense that So Min is having a crush on him, but in the end he didn't right?and tomorrow we're going to see Suk Jin and Ki Woo trying to impress Kyung Pyo?Ki Woo needs to at least give some hints to Soo Hyun before anything else, please Ki Woo please.He's nice and everything, but like what almost everyone has said before, him being like this won't really help to make things progress either.

@angieknows_11 That has not been revealed.  
If Kiwoo has gathered that somin likes him, he should have told her right then that he liked someone else or did not view her that way.  Something is not quite right here and I do not believe it is just because Kiwoo is the gentle giant that does not want to hurt anyone.    I do not know the language so excuse me if I am wrong but I watched yesterday's episode again.  Are we sure Kiwoo knows about Somin liking him because it seemed like he chalked up what she did to her liking Soohyun so much and she did not correct him? 

Guest arinkorin

Didn't like the fact that Ki Woo and Suk Jin was childishly bantering almost the whole episode today, but it was kind of fun to watch because it involves Kyung Pyo! Up till now I still don't know whether to give more credits to the writers or Kyung Pyo himself for being the funnest character (for me) to watch. Maybe it's the combination of both.
Anyway what did Ki Woo precisely say at the end of the episode to Soo Hyun? I know it has something to do with asking her if she really doesn't know why did the two guys fight, but what did he exactly say? Just curious because I was wondering if that has got anything to do with Soo Hyun dressing up that way in the preview for the next episode. Can't wait for Monday! 

Archived