[ MBC Sitcom 2012] Stand By/스탠바이

Guest mijoo-pearl

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

Um, I'm not sure if many people follow this sitcom anymore... but I wanted to share another one of my KW-SH videos. I seriously think this song was made for them. HAHA.

Standby finished shooting today, and I could be wrong, but I think episode 113 is when the show will end. I hate to say it, but yippee! I stopped following after episode 64, but I have kept up with posting the videos on our blog. And now, I don't have to worry about that. I'm thankful to our readers, especially to those who have stuck with it, but it's more exciting to be sharing episodes on a show I enjoy than a program that I've given up on out of annoyance.

The end of today's episode was solid, but it also was a reminder of how clumsily and simplistically the writers mishandled "Standby." Could have been so much better. What will be preeminent in my mind are the disjointed lovelines and the sudden, facile, open-ended "resolutions" to some promising relationships. Also, I will forever be perplexed by the emasculation and near-complete disregard shown the sitcom's most valuable acting asset, Ryu Jin.

I am holding out hope that the powers-that-be in these next 10+ episodes will give us something meaningful regarding the Suk Jin-Soo Hyun-Ki Woo triangle. Not holding my breath though... :-P

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

OH. MY. GOODNESS. Soo Hyun... why do you keep doing this to yourself? No, everything is not okay.You are not okay. *sigh* Not only is she hurting Ki Woo and Suk Jin with her actions (or inactions, I should say), but she's also hurting herself. No matter how hard she tries to push Ki Woo to the back of her mind, he's always going to find his way back again. No matter how far she tries to run, she'll always be stuck in the same place (Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but has anyone else noticed how often she's been on a treadmill lately? Ohoho). She could have possibly been able to run away from her problems before, but not this time. She can't keep this up forever.
Man, I don't know if it was just me, but I was doing some serious screaming during this episode, especially at the end. I don't know if what happened is considered progress or not, but at least Suk Jin is aware of Soo Hyun's true feelings. Now the question is... what is he going to do with that? Is he just going to suck it up and pretend like he doesn't know... like it's not bothering him? Or will he actually address the issue up front? I was talking to someone and she predicted that Suk Jin might be the "better man" and let Soo Hyun go, because he realizes that she isn't truly happy and that, even if she denies it, her heart is with Ki Woo. That sounds like something the writers would do if they are still aiming for KW-SH as endgame. I'm not entirely sure though... I wonder if those 7 episodes that were cut out could have made a difference.  

If Suk Jin did "let go" of Soo Hyun, I'm not sure it would be entirely because he was being the "better man" though it ultimately may be portrayed that way. He is constantly maneuvering to save face in order to preserve his gargantuan pride. I don't know how he could persevere in a relationship with SH knowing that her heart lies with Ki Woo. Even if the two of them got married, it would always be in the back of SJ's mind; nobody holds a grudge/has trouble letting go quite like SJ.

The lack of romantic chemistry between SH and SJ must be readily apparent to the two of them. They are doing things for each other almost in an obligatory manner because they "should  (i.e. the tandem interview).

Seems as if a rapprochement between Suk Jin and KI Woo is in the works- probably will make it a bit easier to take for whomever does not end up with Soo Hyun (if she chooses SJ or KW).

Guest Han.Ji.Yoon

slee94

said: Does anyone know what is Kiwoo's favorite song that SooHyun listens to als. In episode 105 (I think) it goes Love, Love ... don't know the rest. IT would be really helpful if someone told me the song name and singer! Thanks

Archived