Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

MYM IG and LMH tw update 

[Breaking News] After the 7th episode of Pachinko, I've heard that people are crying for "Hansu."

Actor Lee Minho's Pachinko, who is completely absorbed by Hansu, will present you 50 minutes of perfect immersion! Only on Apple TV+

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

@twinkle_little_star LMH slayed this episode on the background on Hansu. And we got some bonus video from LMH himself! 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/pachinko-lee-minho-1235133764/

‘Pachinko’ Star Lee Minho Calls His Character “A Villain Generated by Tragedy”

The Korean superstar opens up about making his Hollywood debut in Apple TV+'s epic series and the "pressure" of anchoring an entire episode dedicated to his character's backstory.

April 22, 2022 6:30am

Pachinko_Photos_010702-H-2022.jpg?w=681&

[Warning: This story contains spoilers for the Pachinko episode “Chapter Seven.”]

The Apple TV+ adaptation of Pachinko has taken some significant departures from Min Jin Lee’s bestselling novel of the same name, none more so than in its first season’s penultimate episode, which fleshes out and in many ways creates a new backstory for Hansu, the mysterious and powerful character played by superstar Lee Minho.

Whereas the rest of the series alternates back and forth between protagonist Sunja’s life as a young Korean woman (Minha Kim) living under Japanese imperial rule in the 1930s and her latter days as a grandmother (Yuh-Jung Youn) in boomtime 1980s Japan, “Chapter Seven” takes place entirely in Yokohama in 1923. That timestamp might tip off certain audience members to the cataclysmic event that transpires during the episode: the real-life 7.9 earthquake that killed more than 100,000 people, including Koreans living in the area. As depicted in the episode and described in its epilogue, in addition to falling casualty to the quake itself, many Koreans were also blamed for post-quake destruction and killed by Japanese vigilantes in the aftermath.

As viewers learn, living through and bearing witness to these traumas transformed Hansu from a humble tutor devoted to his single father to the poised, cold businessman who seduces Sunja a decade later. Lee, 34, spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about the significance of the episode in forming his character and how Hansu compares to the leading man roles that made him one of the most beloved celebrities throughout Asia.

This interview was conducted with a Korean translator and edited for length and clarity.

This episode, which explores Hansu’s past, is completely original to the show. Did you already know there would be this addition to the character’s story when you auditioned? How did you feel about having an episode all to yourself?

I was not aware of it going into the audition at first. I believe I read the script up to episode 4. As if putting puzzle pieces together, it felt like the character of grown-up Hansu was coming together to completion. I was able to resonate with him about why he was being so realistic and living a life without looking back. These thoughts have helped me to add more dimensions to the character.

And I had pressure to carry on with it, since the episode deviated from the main story.

Were you able to shoot the show chronologically – in other words, did you get to play younger Hansu first? How does the shooting order affect your character preparation as an actor, if it does?

We could not film the scenes in order since we were filming in two different countries, Canada and Korea. So we took turns filming younger Hansu and older Hansu. It was hard to portray Hansu of different ages, but he had extremely different personalities in each era, so it helped me to build a solid foundation for his character.

What kind of research did you do for this role, especially about the 1923 Yokohama earthquake and the lives of Koreans living there at the time?

I did my own research based on the script and the novel. I watched many clips that recreated the historical backgrounds of that time, documentaries regarding earthquakes and read many articles about Koreans who lived in that era.

In this episode, Hansu speaks in three languages, experiences emotional trauma and also deals with several action sequences with a lot of dangerous-looking practical effects. What was the most challenging part of shooting this episode?

The most challenging part was the portrayal an energetic young boy. I wanted to portray this young boy whose eyes are glistening with curiosity and aspirations, but it was not an easy task. Speaking different languages certainly was quite challenging, but I figured that Hansu would not be fluent either since he is in the early stage of learning those languages, so it wasn’t too pressuring.

You’ve been a leading man for a long time, which means that even when your characters have flaws, they are still the one that the audience is rooting for. Hansu plays a different role in the story. He’s not supposed to be the hero, so do you approach him any differently from your other characters?

I don’t think there is a big difference from other characters I’ve played before. I always try to stay true to each character I play and be authentic for my audience. With that said, I consider Hansu as a villain generated by the tragedy of desperate times. Therefore, I tried to create a character who lives his life fully committed to his own logic and value.

With such enduring success all over Asia, why were you interested in exploring this particular Hollywood project?

This project really hit different. It narrates stories of Asians, but I think the story applies to anyone living in this era beyond race, ethnicity and nationality. It is a powerful story that anyone could relate to. The character of Hansu drew me in a lot. Fortunately, I was offered to do an audition for a role, and I am beyond grateful to be able to do my first Hollywood series.

In addition to all your experience in Korean TV and film, you’ve also shot a Chinese-Korean co-production (Bounty Hunters). How did shooting Pachinko – an American production – compare with your past experiences?

No matter where filming takes place, what happens on the set seems no different wherever you are at. But depending on the size of the budget, I get to face new experiences and opportunities that thrills me. Other than that, I usually think about how to portray the scenes better. And that is why being with Soo Hugh, the showrunner, was very meaningful to me in that sense. Normally screenwriters don’t come to the studio in Korea, but for this particular show, I got to have a lot of conversations with her, and I was able to transfer the energy I got from her to a great synergy.

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

‘Pachinko’ Episode 7: Recap And Ending, Explained – What Prompts Hansu To Join The Yakuza?

....  His expression slowly changes from fear to sadness to stern resolve as he realizes what he needs to do to survive, with Ryoichi’s connection to the Yakuza being the first step. And, to be very honest, if this episode doesn’t get Lee Min-Ho, Kogonada, Soo Hugh, and the rest of the team all the awards in the world, it will prove yet again that something is wrong with the entertainment industry, period. In that scenario, please shower all the love and appreciation on the team of “Pachinko” for doing such a stellar job of (nearly) making us empathize with someone as cruel and heartless as Hansu...

Read the rest of the article here:  

https://dmtalkies.com/pachinko-episode-7-recap-ending-explained-2022-apple-series/

============================================

Star Lee Minho and showrunner Soo Hugh take us inside Pachinko's story of the Great Kantō Earthquake.

SH: For Minho, before any frame was shot, he knew about this episode. I think this is the episode that really excited him about playing Hansu, because he's never played a role like this before. I don't think anyone in the world is expecting this huge superstar to play this role, and he's just so good in it. To see that rawness in him shows you that he's capable of doing a lot with his acting muscles.

LM: When I performed as adult Hansu, I wanted to highlight the fact that he’s someone who tries to stop himself from feeling certain emotions. He's a rather stoic person, whereas the younger Hansu is honest and true to his emotions. I wanted to balance out those two sides of him. My main goal was to portray this young man who was full of hopes and dreams, and how going through this tragic event causes him to lose his hopes and dreams altogether. I wanted to show how this man is instantly discouraged and deflated from all his previous hopes.

read the rest of the article here....  

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a39775965/pachinko-earthquake-true-story-lee-minho/

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

‘Pachinko’ Showrunner on Creating a New Backstory for the Original Novel’s Most Mysterious Character

By Wilson Chapman

Plus Icon

Min-ho Lee, who plays Hansu, is one of the most famous actors in Korea. Can you tell me about casting Min-ho Lee, who is one of the most famous actors in Korea, for the show?

This was a very long casting process, not only because we have a lot of roles to cast, but we also had a lengthy audition process for the characters. When you, as a writer, when you live with characters as long as I have, in your head you visualize them in one way, right? And then you watch them in the audition tapes and either you’re surprised and delighted or you’re just like “No, that person is not right.” And I have to check myself, but part of the magic of making films and TV shows is that actors can bring characters to life in a way that you haven’t expected. And I have to allow myself open to that. So when I think about Chapter 7 especially, Min-ho had never done a series like this before. He’s Korea’s biggest super star. His image is so pristine. And so I’m thinking, “Can he play Hansu or not?” A lot of it was “Let’s see how he does in the audition.” And he was just so gung-ho about wanting to get this part, and had a lot of fun in the audition, and really stretched himself and showed us a side that we’ve never seen of Min-ho, and the world has never seen of Min-ho. And Chapter 7, I think it really an unveiling of what Min-ho can do, what he’s capable of.

Read the rest of the article here..

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/pachinko-soo-hugh-1235237538/

===========================================================

Pachinko star Lee Minho on Hansu's tragic backstory and anti-hero status
The actor discusses his character's devastating past, "villain" status, hopes for a potential season 2, and more.
By Jessica Wang
April 22, 2022 at 12:00 PM EDT

Lee Minho does not consider his Pachinko character a villain.

The South Korean actor plays Hansu, the enigmatic wealthy fish broker in the aching Apple TV+ series based on Min Jin Lee's novel of the same name. An older, married man with ties to the yakuza, Hansu shapes the life of central protagonist Sunja (played by newcomer Minha Kim and Oscar winner Yuh-Jung Youn during two stages of her life) in formative ways, beginning an all-consuming love affair and later fathering her firstborn son. 

"While season 1 serves as the beginning of Sunja and everyone else's stories, I think season 2 [would] dive into how each character managed to survive and [continued to] live their lives," Lee surmises. "I expect more desperate and intense stories that were not previously unveiled in season 1." Hopefully, Lee says, the audience "will be able to witness the different sides and colors of Hansu more clearly." 

So far, creator and showrunner Soo Hugh's masterful adaptation has garnered glowing reviews. In her A grade review of the series, EW's Kristen Baldwin queried, "Is it too soon to crown the best show of 2022?" Lee is grateful for the reception. "So much work and passion from a lot of people have been put into this," he says. "I'm happy to see that it's been recognized and rewarded. I am grateful to be able to share my feelings with the audience through this work. Thank you to my fans and all the supporters."

Read the rest of the article here...

https://ew.com/tv/pachinko-star-lee-minho-hansu-backstory-anti-hero/

=============

Why ‘Pachinko’ Episode 7 Diverged From the Narrative to Tell Hansu’s Backstory
TheWrap spoke with actor Lee Min-ho and the filmmakers behind the Apple TV+ series about how the penultimate episode came together

The penultimate episode of Apple TV+’s “Pachinko” steps away from central character Sunja’s narrative to give a glimpse into Hansu’s past. Episode 7, directed by Kogonada and written by Ethan Kuperberg and Soo Hugh, delves deeper into the narrative of Hansu (Lee Min-ho), and TheWrap spoke with the filmmakers and Lee Min-ho about bringing the episode (which invents a new storyline not found in Min Jin Lee’s source material) to life.

For Lee Minho, the mental immersion into Hansu was an extensive process. 

“I tried to understand the vibes and the feelings of people that were actually present at the time, and I asked myself a lot of ‘what if I were Hansu’ questions,” Minho told TheWrap. “So after reading the script for the first time, the second time I was reading it, I would keep asking myself why he would speak this way and why he wouldn’t directly involve himself, but indirectly do things.”

“Depending on your perspective, Hansu could actually come off as oppressive or sometimes even evil. It was the same thing for me before filming the seventh episode,” Minho said. “I was kind of curious about why he became so ruthless and what happened to him that made him this way. And while I was filming the seventh episode, I could really understand why he had to become that ruthless person when he was young. He was a very good hearted person, so I could really understand how he became that character. So it was actually a very heartbreaking episode for me.”

Read the rest of the article here...

https://www.thewrap.com/pachinko-episode-7-hansu-backstory/

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

Lee Min Ho, in Dangerous Love, Reveals His Anti-War Past... Full of Sincerity ("Pachinko")

Reporter Kang Min Kyung

0000542895_001_20220423093404470.jpg?typ

Actor Lee Min Ho delivered a convincing performance in the original 'Pachinko' on Apple TV+. Another famous scene was born.

Episode 7 of the original Apple TV+ Pachinko, which was released on the 22nd, revealed the hidden story behind Ko Han Soo (Lee Min Ho) before he became successful as a heartless businessman.

0000542895_002_20220423093404505.jpg?typ

Lee Min Ho made a strong impression in Pachinko as a businessman full of ambition and a bad man in dangerous love. This time he showed how faithfully and justly he lived every day in his former poverty.

In addition, tender feelings for his father (Jung Woon-in) and the appearance of accepting fate, experiencing unexpected crises and humiliations, touched the hearts of the audience.

Recently, on leeminho film's official YouTube channel, Lee Min Ho said, "Han Soo survived in his own way. Even playing an actor makes my heart hurt.” According to him, Go Han Soo, who possessed unspoilt innocence, convincingly explained why he should change with his sincere acting. In particular, to increase immersion in the game.

0000542895_003_20220423093404545.jpg?typ

Lee Min Ho tried to radically change not only in acting, but also in appearance. Not a masculine and refined figure, but with a lush hairdo, rustic fashion, a simple smile and a pitiful look, Go Han Soo's character was born and praised. In each situation, he was impressed with different levels of enthusiasm, fluent in dialect, English, and Japanese.

After appearing in Pachinko, Lee Min Ho plays the role of a trailblazer who spearheads the insatiable Hallyu craze, demonstrating the dignity of a top Hallyu star. With his ability to digest character as well as chemistry with other actors, he creates famous scenes every time, raising questions about Lee Min Ho's performance in the latest episode.

Meanwhile, "Pachinko", which features Lee Min Ho, is based on the New York Times bestseller of the same name and is a piece that delicately and warmly tells the story of a Korean's hopes and dreams. immigrant family. The final episode will air on the 29th.

Kang Min-kyung, Tenasia staff correspondent

Translation from Korean google

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/312/0000542895

• Like 5

Pachinko season 1, episode 7 recap – Hansu gets the backstory treatment in a gripping instalment

An entire episode devoted to the criminal Hansu allows for a thankful return to form. This chapter is full of heart-breaking sorrow and shocking violence.

Koh Hansu, played by Lee Min-ho (a South Korean icon) is without a shadow of a doubt the main bad guy in Pachinko. He cheated on his wife, who he is extremely distant with, and impregnated poor Sunja, leaving her as a shamed woman. The merchant is frequently violent and aggressive to the locals, being feared by all in the region. So it comes as quite the shock to see an entire chapter dedicated to the criminal, with the added surprise of director Kogonada actually making us pity and sympathize with the man to boot. Pachinko returns to its previous form with another stellar episode.

Spoiler

We’re introduced to a younger Hansu in 1923 Yokohama, Japan. The future fish broker sports a larger-than-life Beatles haircut and a boyish smirk. He is an excellent mathematician, even tutoring an American family. His father, who is also an accountant, has big dreams for his son and works tirelessly to provide him every possible opportunity. The crime boss he works for wants Hansu to start at the business as well, but the father manages to shrug this off.

Hansu is a promising individual, who ironically supports a privileged family whilst his own live in poverty. The series highlights the destitution of Korean migrants in Japan, providing Hansu with an emotional backstory. The Holmes family want him to journey to America to help their son study at Yale, but he doesn’t want to abandon his father. This bubbling conflict erupts when Hansu’s father steals from his boss and Hansu wishes to ask the Americans for a loan. Pride outweighs logic here and the father refuses to accept anyone else’s money, desperate for his son to leave for greater things in the US.

The show delivers another devastating twist as the city is destroyed by a (historically accurate) deadly earthquake. This destructive force of nature kills thousands and annihilates the cityscape. A noxious smoke descends upon the ruins of the city and survivors stumble to safety. Hansu manages to track down the Americans and together they flee.

This may be the most brutal episode yet, filled with violence and human depravity. Hansu’s origin tale allows viewers the chance to sympathize with the villain and see his actions from a different stance. The filmmakers cleverly flip our perspective in a gripping chapter, where the series returns to its earlier high standards. With only one more episode of Pachinko left to go, like many others, I will be sad to see this series end.

https://readysteadycut.com/2022/04/22/recap-pachinko-season-1-episode-7-apple-tv-plus-series/

'Pachinko' - Lee Min-ho reveals behind-the-scenes story

spacer.png

He not only leaves a good precedent as a top Hallyu star, but also plays a role as a pioneer who leads the unquenchable Hallyu craze, and has a good influence on other actors, raising expectations for his move.
http://www.nbnnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=671437

• Like 6

Lee Min Ho is now busy with ATS

Look at all beautiful faces of #Pachinko team! We finally gathered and all missed so much. Minho @actorleeminho was not able to come due to his latest project, but texted me and sent his regards to the team. We all shot out to "We miss you, Soo", our lips like this :)

Watch Lee Min Ho's Latest Korean Drama 'Ask the Stars' Asianwiki Episode 1 – End Sub Indo

April 22, 2022

wylpJ_2f.jpg?resize=400,184&ssl=1

Brief Review of Lee Min Ho's Latest Drama 'Ask the Stars' Viral Drama 'Dracorindo'

Romantic Comedy Kdrama

A romantic comedy about an astronaut and a tourist who meet and fall in love on a space station. (rekamjejak.web.id)
Gong Ryong is an OB/GYN with a strong sense of responsibility who came to the space station as a tourist. Meanwhile, Eva Kim is a Korean-American astronaut.

On March 28, Lee Min Ho and Gong Hyo Jin were confirmed to star in director Park Shin Woo's upcoming drama, written by Seo Sook Hyang (Pasta). It will be the director-writer's next joint drama since Jealousy.

Lee Min Ho's latest drama "Ask for the Stars"

Ask the Stars will premiere in 2023. It will tell the story of space tourists and astronauts and their journey to the space station and to Earth.

Lee Min Ho will take on the role of Gong Ryong, an ob/gyn who goes to the space station as a tourist. Gong Hyo Jin, on the other hand, will play the role of Eva Kim, a Korean-American astronaut.

The filming schedule for the upcoming series will begin this April.

'Ask The Stars' will reportedly air on domestic channels and will also be available on global OTT streaming platforms. Official details were not disclosed.

'Ask the Stars' will be the sequel to Lee Min Ho's drama after 'Pachinko' on Apple TV with Yoon Yoo Jung. It will also be the channel's next drama after 2020's "The King: Eternal Monarch" which features Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, Lee Jong Jin, Jung Eun Chae, and more.

Meanwhile, it will be a drama about the comeback of Gong Hyo Jin after the popular 2019 KBS drama “When the Camellia Blooms” with Kang Ha Neul, Kim Ji Suk, Song Dam Bi, Oh Jong Se, and Yeom Hye Rang. The actress will also be starring in the upcoming drama “Stage Queen” alongside Park Ha Sun.

When will Lee Min Ho's 'Ask the Stars' come out and where can I watch it for free?

This drama will air after Lee Min Ho's current drama "Pachinko" on Appale TV. You can watch it on legal sites like Netflix, Naver, and also on illegal sites nodrakor drakorindofilms or dracool.

Native name: 별들에게 물어봐
Also known as: Byeoldeulege Muleobwa
Screenwriter: Seo Sook Hyang
Directed by: Park Shin Woo
Genres: Comedy, Romance, Fantasy

1.Netflix dan Viu
2. Drakorindo
3. Bioskopkeren
4.Lk21-Layarkaca21
5. Juraganfilm – Dunia21
6 Dramacool Inidramaku

I'm sure with that, domestic channel first... and these two are in space?! Wow!!! Cute actresses like Gong Hyo Jin are perfect for the more serious Lee Min Ho. I remember the comedy scene from Legend of the Blue Sea and it was a great combination. I am very curious to see them, this is an unexpected team.

Lee Min Ho is the most beloved and popular Korean actor in the world. I am happy to see this news and looking forward to the 2023 drama

Cast of 'Ask the Stars' Lee Min Ho's 2022 New Drakor AsianWiki MyDramalist...

FRAht2uXMAAlzSu?format=jpg&name=medium

Translation from indonesian google

https://rekamjejak.web.id/nonton-ask-the-stars-episode-1-3-5-sub-indo-asianwiki/

• Like 5

6 Korean Dramas to Watch Starring Pachinko's Lee Min-ho

Western audiences have been getting a crash course in Korean history thanks to Pachinko, Apple TV's ambitious period drama based on Min Jin Lee's bestselling novel of the same name that centers on one family and the multigenerational traumas endured from Japan's occupation of Korea. And for those not yet fully entrenched in the bountiful universe of K-dramas, the show has also familiarized viewers with one of South Korea's biggest stars. 

His name is Lee Min-ho and he has been one of his country's most sought after actors ever since his breakout role in the 2009 romantic comedy miniseries Boys Over Flowers. His turn in Pachinko—in which he plays Zainichi Korean merchant Koh Hansu opposite the scene-stealing newcomer Minha Kim—is just the latest in a starry resume of acting credits. Want to get further acquainted?

Below are 6 of Lee's most popular Korean dramas to stream now.

The King: Eternal Monarch

spacer.png

WATCH ON NETFLIX

This ambitious 2020 production alternates between parallel universes. In one, Lee is Lee Gon, ruler of a modern-day Kingdom of Korea. In the other, the empire is replaced by the Republic of Korea, in which a young detective named Tae-eul (Kim Go-eun) works in the Violent Crimes squad. In pursuit of a treasonous uncle who escapes into this reality, Lee Gon also steps through the portal and crosses paths with Tae-eul, who he recognizes as someone who might have saved his life many years ago—in his world.

The Legend of the Blue Sea

Spoiler

spacer.png

WATCH ON HULU

Inspired by a 17th-century Joseon dynasty legend about a fisherman who catches and frees a mermaid, The Legend of the Blue Sea also takes place in parallel eras. First there is a doomed love story between a mermaid (Jun Ji-hyun) and a nobleman (Lee) during the Joseon period. Then in the modern-day reincarnation of the couple, she is still a mermaid and he is now a con-artist. Their fates may be inextricably bound but will it be a happily ever after?

The Heirs

spacer.png

WATCH ON NETFLIX

Reminiscent of a Korean version of The O.C., The Heirs (known alternatively as Inheritors) centers on Cha Eun-sang (Park Shin-hye), who takes on part-time jobs to support herself and lives in the home of the wealthy Kim family, where her mother is a housekeeper. A scholarship enables her to enroll in a high school for Korea's richest kids, where she soon finds herself in the middle of a love triangle involving the Kim family scion Kim Tan (Lee) and his nemesis Choi Young-do (Kim Woo-bin).

The Great Doctor

Spoiler

spacer.png

WATCH ON VIKI

In this time-traveling epic, Lee is Choi Young, the Captain of the Royal Guard to King Gongmin of the Goryeo dynasty. In modern-day Seoul, Eun-soo (played by '90s icon Kim Hee-sun) is a plastic surgeon. When the royal family is attacked and the queen gravely injured, Choi Young is instructed to go through a mysterious portal to find the "heaven's doctor." He ends up 700 years in the future and kidnaps Eun-soo back to 1352. She is promised a safe return once her job is complete but political machinations keep her in the 14th century, which conveniently gives these two plenty of time to fall in love.

Personal Taste

Spoiler

spacer.png

WATCH ON VIKI

In this 2010 rom-com series, Crash Landing on You's Son Ye-jin plays an aspiring furniture designer, Kae-in, who lives in a modern hanok (a traditional Korean house) designed by her famous architect father. Lee is Jin-ho, the head of a fledgling architecture firm who is vying to win the project bid for a new art center that will be inspired by Kae-in's hanok, which has never before been seen by the public. To gain an edge, he asks to rent a room in the house, to which Kae-in only agrees because she thinks he's gay (he's not).

Boys Over Flowers

Spoiler

spacer.png

WATCH ON NETFLIX

In the viral sensation that officially cemented his star status—and a predecessor of sorts to The Heirs—Lee plays the leader of the F4, a clique of the most powerful, popular and prettiest boys at an elite high school reserved for children of the one percent. Through a series of events, a scrappy dry cleaner's daughter ends up at the school on a scholarship: cue the love triangles and adolescent class warfare.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/g39653046/korean-dramas-lee-min-ho-roles/

Lee Min Ho Reveals the Most Challenging Part Filming ‘Pachinko’

Lee Min Ho's YouTube channel details the Hallyu star's experience filming the Apple TV+ series' "Pachinko."

In the almost 5 minute video, the South Korean star tells how he portrays the role of Ko Hansu and the challenges he encountered portraying the character.

Since it made a global debut on March 25, the novel-based K-drama continued to gain an overwhelming response from critics and fans.

Viewers lauded how the story was perfectly delivered as well as the cast lineup. "Pachinko" boasts a star-studded cast including Oscar winner Youn Yuh Jung, Japanese-New Zealander actress Anna Sawai, South Korean newcomer Kim Min Ha and of course, Lee Min Ho.

Lee Min Ho's YouTube Channel Shares Unseen Behind-the-Scenes in Pachinko

Over the actor's official YouTube channel, he shared how he strived to execute the character of Ko Hansu based on the novel by making it his own.

Showing the beauty of Vancouver, Canada, where they filmed most of the scenes in "Pachinko," the 34-year-old South Korean A-lister confessed that his character in the novel-based series is "quite challenging."

One of the most crucial parts is "expressing the emotions of someone" who lived in a different era.

"Portraying the emotions of an era when people were suppressed, lacked freedom, and had to survive was challenging too," he explained.

To recall, Lee Min Ho's "Pachinko" character is a Korean native but lived in Japan. Ko Hansu is an enigmatic outsider who works as a merchant in a fish port.

The South Korean star was praised for how he played the mysterious character and spoke the Japanese language.

Lee Min Ho Says He Had Limited Time to Prepare for His Role in 'Pachinko'

Lee Min Ho's YouTube channel continues to feature his experience filming his comeback project. The actor gets candid about his preparations, especially speaking Japanese.

Since his character moved to Japan to live a different life, he mentions some lines in a foreign language.

"I had to act in a language I hadn't acted before," he says in the video, featuring what it looks like a lesson to learn to speak Japanese.

Lee Min Ho says that he had to learn it in a short period than he typically does, so he did "as much research as possible."

Interestingly, music helps him internalize his role and understand the era that Ko Hansu portrays.

"Whenever I had time to rest or think, I used my imagination to try to immerse myself in the era," he explained.

On the other hand, another thing that made him drawn to the series was the "diverse and colorful characters."

spacer.png

For his character, Lee Mim Ho thinks that Ko Hansu has his good and evil side, which was depicted in the series, adding that he chose the bad side to survive.

The eight-part episode series is set to air the finale on April 29 exclusively on Apple TV+.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/124743/20220422/lee-min-ho-reveals-challenging-part-filming-pachinko.htm

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoiler tags when you upload more than 3 images in one post! Thanks!
  • Like 7

5 K-drama actors who haven’t aged a day

If you haven’t given K-beauty much thought in your skincare regimen, here’s your sign to change that—the Koreans (K-drama actors especially) clearly know a thing, or twenty, about anti-ageing that we don’t. After all, the top stars of the Hallyu wave have been mysteriously defying the passage of time by looking every bit as youthful today as they did on the day they debuted. Here's proof:

Lee MinHo

His breakout role in Boys Over Flowers (2009) means that most K-drama enthusiasts still credit Lee MinHo as their first crush. Fast-forward to thirteen years later, and you’ll find him continuing to steal hearts with record-breaking shows like The King: Eternal Monarch (2021).

spacer.png

https://www.vogue.in/culture-and-living/content/from-gong-yoo-to-hyun-bin-5-k-drama-actors-who-havent-aged-a-day

LEE MIN HO TELLS ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE OF ACTING IN SOUTH KOREA AND THE US

spacer.png

FOR LEE MIN HO, THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN FILMING IN KOREA AND THE US ARE MANY

At the start of filming, Lee Min Ho confessed that for the first time in nearly a decade, he had to audition for a role. Due to his popularity, he found the idea of auditioning exciting and a new challenge, though he couldn't help but feel nervous that he had missed practice. In the same way, he mentioned that one of the main differences between Korean and American productions is that one of the people who is completely involved in the filming process is the showrunner.

Lee Min Ho mentioned that working in South Korea, the productions had never had a showrunner, so it was something new for him to see that Pachinko had this level in the direction that was in charge of checking that everything went according to plan. In the same way, he spoke with surprise and admiration of the level of detail that foreign productions have. That they take care of every detail, even asking the actors if they feel comfortable acting out certain situations like kisses. So Lee Min Ho couldn't help but be amazed at this style of work.

https://www.nacionrex.com/doramas/Lee-Min-Ho-cuenta-la-diferencia-de-actuar-en-Corea-del-Sur-y-EEUU-20220421-0013.html

• Like 7

Dear Oppa: A Minoz from India gushes about how she 'fell for Pachinko star Lee Min Ho at first sight'

In the latest edition of Dear Oppa, Sohany Rahman from Bangladesh dedicates her sweet letter to Lee Min Ho. Read her letter below.

by Karishma Shetty   |   Apr 23, 2022

lee_min_ho_dear_oppa_5.jpg?width=752&for

Minoz and new fans alike are going gaga over Lee Min Ho's delectable performance as Koh Hansu in Pachinko. While we've come to accept nothing but brilliance from the mega talented and ultra handsome Hallyu star, with classic and hit dramas like Boys Over Flowers, The Heirs, The Legend of the Blue Sea and The King: Eternal Monarch under his impressive repertoire, the fandom witnessed Lee Min Ho in a drastically different light when it comes to his "different shades of grey" character and versatile acting range in Pachinko.

Today's heartwarming letter in our Dear Oppa series has been penned by Sohany Rahman from Bangladesh to Lee Min Ho. Read her letter (Note: This letter was sent on January 10, 2021) below:

Dear Lee Min Ho oppa,

I am Sohany from Bangladesh. I know that your worldwide fans are more than the total population of South Korea. I don't even know if you will read my letter or not. But I'm hoping that you will read it.

You are like a sunshine to me. I had first fallen for you after seeing the drama "The Heirs". You are such a damn cute person. I fell for you at first sight. Your talking skills, your acting each and every gesture of yours strongly attracts me towards you. "The Legend of the Blue Sea" drama was really really funny and romantic. When your "The King: Eternal Monarch" was released I was so desperate to watch it, but I resisted myself for the two months to watch it as a whole. And when the last episode released I completed watching the drama in three nights staying awake.. When I knew the news about your struggle with your career, your accident it totally broke my heart. We can't feel how you felt when your dream of being a soccer player shattered, but we obviously support in your every dream that you will be dreaming. I can't imagine what would've happened in this lockdown if I hadn't engaged myself watching your dramas.

I'm waiting for your next drama Pachinko. Aah, a few days ago we watched your video with Lee Seun-gi oppa, that was so damn cute that I don't know how many numerous times I watched it. Especially when your mom was calling you out and you replied, that part is so cute.

I am now studying medicine and the Medical System of South Korea attracts me a lot and I really want to go to South Korea. I hope one day my this dream will come true.

Till then stay healthy oppa, coz after that whenever you will feel sick please come to me so that I can treat you.

Love You oppa,
Sohany Rahman
From Bangladesh..

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/dear-oppa-minoz-india-gushes-about-how-she-fell-pachinko-star-lee-min-ho-first-sight-1074851

As an actor who has had high flying hours, it doesn't make Lee Min Ho feel difficult when starring in the drama 'Pachinko' so his hard work deserves appreciation.

s-ivw6Li?format=jpg&name=900x900

WowKeren Team Apr 23, 2022

WowKeren - Lee Min Ho's appearance in acting in the drama "Pachinko" proves his popularity as a Hallyu star actor. Lee Min Ho also shared how he described the role of Ko Hansu and the challenges he faced in playing the character.

Since its global debut on March 25, this novel-based K-drama has been steadily gaining popularity and overwhelming response from critics and fans alike. Viewers praised how the story was delivered perfectly as well as the lineup of the cast.

“Pachinko” features a star-studded cast including Oscar winner Youn Yuh Jung, Japanese-New Zealand actress Anna Sawai, Kim Min Ha and of course, Lee Min Ho. This one actor shared how he tried hard to execute the character Ko Hansu based on the novel by making it his own.

Showing the beauty of Vancouver, Canada, where they filmed most of the scenes in "Pachinko", Lee Min Hoo admitted that his character in the novel-based series was quite challenging. One of the most important parts is expressing the emotions of someone living in a different era.

"Depicting the emotions of an age when people are oppressed, have no freedom, and have to survive is also challenging," he explained. To remember, Lee Min Ho's "Pachinko" character is a native of Korea but lives in Japan. Ko Hansu is a mysterious outsider who works as a merchant in a fish port.

The actor was candid about his preparations, especially speaking Japanese. Since his character moves to Japan to live a different life, he mentions a few lines in a foreign language.

"I have to act in a language I've never acted in before," he said featuring lessons for learning to speak Japanese. Lee Min Ho said that he had to study it in less time than usual, so he did as much research as possible.

Interestingly, music helped him internalize his role and understand the era that Ko Hansu described. "Whenever I have time to rest or think, I use my imagination to try to immerse myself in that era," he explains.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, what made Lee Min Ho interested in the series was because of the diverse and colorful characters. As for his character, Lee Min Ho thinks that Ko Hansu has both good and bad sides, which are depicted in the series thereby adding that he chose the bad side to survive.

Translation from indonesian google

https://www.wowkeren.com/berita/tampil/00424528.html

• Like 5

On 4/22/2022 at 10:12 PM, gtLmh0622 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/pachinko-lee-minho-1235133764/

‘Pachinko’ Star Lee Minho Calls His Character “A Villain Generated by Tragedy”

The Korean superstar opens up about making his Hollywood debut in Apple TV+'s epic series and the "pressure" of anchoring an entire episode dedicated to his character's backstory.

April 22, 2022 6:30am

[Warning: This story contains spoilers for the Pachinko episode “Chapter Seven.”]

The Apple TV+ adaptation of Pachinko has taken some significant departures from Min Jin Lee’s bestselling novel of the same name, none more so than in its first season’s penultimate episode, which fleshes out and in many ways creates a new backstory for Hansu, the mysterious and powerful character played by superstar Lee Minho.

Whereas the rest of the series alternates back and forth between protagonist Sunja’s life as a young Korean woman (Minha Kim) living under Japanese imperial rule in the 1930s and her latter days as a grandmother (Yuh-Jung Youn) in boomtime 1980s Japan, “Chapter Seven” takes place entirely in Yokohama in 1923. That timestamp might tip off certain audience members to the cataclysmic event that transpires during the episode: the real-life 7.9 earthquake that killed more than 100,000 people, including Koreans living in the area. As depicted in the episode and described in its epilogue, in addition to falling casualty to the quake itself, many Koreans were also blamed for post-quake destruction and killed by Japanese vigilantes in the aftermath.

As viewers learn, living through and bearing witness to these traumas transformed Hansu from a humble tutor devoted to his single father to the poised, cold businessman who seduces Sunja a decade later. Lee, 34, spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about the significance of the episode in forming his character and how Hansu compares to the leading man roles that made him one of the most beloved celebrities throughout Asia.

This interview was conducted with a Korean translator and edited for length and clarity.

This episode, which explores Hansu’s past, is completely original to the show. Did you already know there would be this addition to the character’s story when you auditioned? How did you feel about having an episode all to yourself?

I was not aware of it going into the audition at first. I believe I read the script up to episode 4. As if putting puzzle pieces together, it felt like the character of grown-up Hansu was coming together to completion. I was able to resonate with him about why he was being so realistic and living a life without looking back. These thoughts have helped me to add more dimensions to the character.

And I had pressure to carry on with it, since the episode deviated from the main story.

Were you able to shoot the show chronologically – in other words, did you get to play younger Hansu first? How does the shooting order affect your character preparation as an actor, if it does?

We could not film the scenes in order since we were filming in two different countries, Canada and Korea. So we took turns filming younger Hansu and older Hansu. It was hard to portray Hansu of different ages, but he had extremely different personalities in each era, so it helped me to build a solid foundation for his character.

What kind of research did you do for this role, especially about the 1923 Yokohama earthquake and the lives of Koreans living there at the time?

I did my own research based on the script and the novel. I watched many clips that recreated the historical backgrounds of that time, documentaries regarding earthquakes and read many articles about Koreans who lived in that era.

In this episode, Hansu speaks in three languages, experiences emotional trauma and also deals with several action sequences with a lot of dangerous-looking practical effects. What was the most challenging part of shooting this episode?

The most challenging part was the portrayal an energetic young boy. I wanted to portray this young boy whose eyes are glistening with curiosity and aspirations, but it was not an easy task. Speaking different languages certainly was quite challenging, but I figured that Hansu would not be fluent either since he is in the early stage of learning those languages, so it wasn’t too pressuring.

You’ve been a leading man for a long time, which means that even when your characters have flaws, they are still the one that the audience is rooting for. Hansu plays a different role in the story. He’s not supposed to be the hero, so do you approach him any differently from your other characters?

I don’t think there is a big difference from other characters I’ve played before. I always try to stay true to each character I play and be authentic for my audience. With that said, I consider Hansu as a villain generated by the tragedy of desperate times. Therefore, I tried to create a character who lives his life fully committed to his own logic and value.

With such enduring success all over Asia, why were you interested in exploring this particular Hollywood project?

This project really hit different. It narrates stories of Asians, but I think the story applies to anyone living in this era beyond race, ethnicity and nationality. It is a powerful story that anyone could relate to. The character of Hansu drew me in a lot. Fortunately, I was offered to do an audition for a role, and I am beyond grateful to be able to do my first Hollywood series.

In addition to all your experience in Korean TV and film, you’ve also shot a Chinese-Korean co-production (Bounty Hunters). How did shooting Pachinko – an American production – compare with your past experiences?

No matter where filming takes place, what happens on the set seems no different wherever you are at. But depending on the size of the budget, I get to face new experiences and opportunities that thrills me. Other than that, I usually think about how to portray the scenes better. And that is why being with Soo Hugh, the showrunner, was very meaningful to me in that sense. Normally screenwriters don’t come to the studio in Korea, but for this particular show, I got to have a lot of conversations with her, and I was able to transfer the energy I got from her to a great synergy.

@gtLmh0622  thanks for sharing this. LMH deserves praise in the previous EP of the drama. I love the last EP - the drama shows the spectacular view of Yokohama's lively streets and the whole city through the scene where Hansu and his father (Jung Woong-in) walk together.   :blush:

• Like 4

The horrific Japanese massacre of Koreans at Pachinko is commendable

Dook-hyun-jeong Reviewer

2022. 04. 23

Japan's Great Kantō Earthquake Pachinko Restored, The Truth Is More Astonishing Than Scale

20220423141009097jxrq.jpg

[Enter Media = Jeong Deok-hyun] Yokohama, 1923. The original Apple TV+ series Pachinko provided this space and time to tell the story of Go Han Soo (Lee Min Ho) as well as capture the horrors of the Great Kanto Earthquake that occurred at that time. The drama shows the busy streets of Yokohama through a scene where Han Soo and his father (Jung Woon In) walk together, as well as a breathtaking view of the entire city. After all, this spectacle is shown as a premise in order to capture the fact that this busy city turns into a hellish road due to a massive earthquake overnight.

Hansoo, who met Song Ja (Kim Min Ha) in Yongdo, Busan, and had a child, went to study in the United States and made a lot of money in Japan. After all, Hansoo, who hid his marriage and gave Sungja a child, never felt like a good person. However, <Pachinko> presents the tragedy he experienced during the Great Kantō Earthquake as an opportunity, depicting how he became that person through a historical struggle.

20220423141010260srbc.jpg

Hansoo and Hansoo's father who were natives of Jeju but moved to Yokohama and lived their dreams even though they were poor. Hansu's father, who was quick to count, endured all sorts of yakuza humiliations, he was recognized and accepted, but he was blinded by love and embezzled money. However, at that moment, the Great Kanto Earthquake occurs and he dies in a collapsing building, with the survivor Hansoo escaping the city, which turns into a road of hell as the aftershock continues with the yakuza boss.

However, it is noteworthy that this drama depicts the genocide of Koreans that took place at the height of the tragedy of the Great Kanto Earthquake. There are rumors that the Korean prisoners escaped the earthquake and engaged in looting, and there were even rumors that they poisoned the water. In the end, terrible things happen when vigilantes go around and kill Koreans in front of their eyes.

Spoiler

20220423141011422nmkb.jpg

Interestingly, the yakuza boss helps Hans, who is in danger, as <Pachinko> captures the historical fact of the massacre of Koreans during the Great Kanto Earthquake. It portrays the terrible atrocities of the vigilantes, but at the same time contains the Japanese who hide the Hansu and Koreans as people. Pachinko portrays the horror story of the time for what it is, but does not demonize all Japanese.

In fact, "Pachinko" is a work that is praised and praised all over the world, but the reason why it is especially ignored in Japan is because it boldly touches on a story that they deny. However, the right sense of balance in pachinko seems to be important here as well. Instead of simply demonizing the emotions and depicting the horrors of the time, eliciting general agreement while maintaining an appropriate distance. This is why the pachinko story is more compelling.

Spoiler

20220423141013067jbyo.jpg

<Pachinko>, which tells the story of Hansoo growing up against the historical backdrop of the Great Kanto Earthquake, added a short subtitle at the end of episode 7. On September 1, 1923, a 7.9 magnitude earthquake hit the Kanto region. More than 100,000 people died. Among them were Koreans who innocently became victims of Japanese vigilantes. The exact number of Koreans killed is not known, but many historians put the number in the thousands."

Perhaps the sincerity contained in the performance "Pachinko", which was dedicated to the Great Kanto Earthquake and for this purpose restored the streets and cities of that time with computer graphics, is contained in this subtitle. While a few lines of subtitles are enough for historical facts, I wonder if there is a case that shows how well a drama can tell the world the story of what they deny.

Columnist Duk-Hyun Jeong thekian1@entermedia.co.kr

Translation from Korean google

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20220423141005289?f=m

• Like 5

Pachinko appeared on the cover of the new US edition of "VARIETY", officially hitting the 74th Primetime Emmy Awards 
Cover slogan: "TV's newest masterpiece", It is also worth noting that it is "For Your Consideration" for Outstanding Drama Series

"VARIETY" US Edition April 20, 2022 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4761808248508381

spacer.png

Pachinko Episode 7 Review: Lee Min-ho Delivers One Of His Career-Best Performances

spacer.png

Pachinko episode 7 review: The new episode of the Apple TV+ series shows Lee Min-ho taking a huge step in breaking away from his image of a romantic prince and it is welcomed!

Pachinko episode 7 dropped this week and it was one of the best episodes of the series. Giving Sunja (Minha Kim) and Solomon (Jin Ha) a break in this episode, the camera turned towards Hansu (Lee Min-ho) and finally revealed Hansu’s heartbreaking past. The show revealed how an otherwise happy Hansu took a grave turn.

Director Kogonada delivered Pachinko’s best episode yet. The 48-minute episode ranged from the highest, happiest moments to the darkest of the night with ease and minimal heavyweight dialogues. Kogonada proves that you don’t need absolute gore to show the gravity of misery. The cinematography was outstanding. While Pachinko proved what visually powerful the series is, episode 7 took the bar a notch higher.

The intense episode also brought out the best in Lee Min-ho. So much so that the actor has set a new benchmark for himself in his career. Although through his decade and a half career he has delivered memorable performances in shows like Gangnam Blues, Personal Touch and The Heirs, none would ever come close to his performance in Pachinko. The actor sheds away his lover boy image (which I personally loved him in) to set himself as a different, more serious actor. The episode gives a glimpse that Lee Min-ho is ready to experiment with a series that doesn’t necessarily have rose-tinted, romantic glasses on.

With the knowledge about his past, would this change our perspective towards what Hansu’s about to do with Sunja? We’ll have to wait and watch. Pachinko finale takes place on April 29 and will premiere on Apple TV+.

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/pachinko-episode-7-review-lee-min-ho-delivers-one-of-his-career-best-performances-5043871.html

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1