Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

Hi all!

Do remember to tune in to Kim Nam Gil's V Live "Radio Apart".... the link is up!!

Really love that he's receiving so much love and attention in his latest drama comeback "The Fiery Priest" and from watching clips of TFP's special, he thoroughly enjoyed himself and bonded very well with the rest of the cast and crew. Although he injured himself (you can see some bruising on his wrists in some scenes), his sacrifice has paid off!!

I do hope he will get CFs offers, casting offers etc.... and where are the post-production interview and photospreads??

The High Cut photospreads were so pretty... :wub: He needs to reward his fans with more photos before he hides into his cave again. 

• Like 1

Really liked this article I saw on Twitter

Title: Kim Nam-gil, proving his acting power plus fluency through 'The Fiery Priest'.

Content (using Papago Translator and a bit of editing):

Actor Kim Nam-gil has established himself as a "beloved and watched actor" by capturing both his acting skills and popularity.
Kim Nam-gil was indignant with Kim Hae-il, a priestly character who had never been seen before in the SBS drama "The Fiery Priest," which ended on Saturday. He helped increased the ratings with every episode with his constant variations across genres and characters, his love affair with Qataris, and his role as a "key" in every story.

In the final episodes, Kim Nam-gil snuffed out the cartel and ended by joining the Gudam Avengers to promote justice. The viewer ratings for 39 to 40 episodes were 18.6 percent (based on Nielsen Korea) and 22.0 percent nationwide, respectively, and the viewer ratings for the moment soared to 26.7 percent, breaking the its own record. The 20-49 City Hall rate, a key judging indicator for advertising officials, also topped the list. 

According to an analysis of data by ratings agency Nielsen Korea, "The Fiery Priest" surpassed the 10 percent mark in the mid-terms of the drama, surpassing the record of JTBC's "Sky Castle," JTBC's "Snow Blinking," and KBS2's "Doctor Prisoner." In addition, according to Trend Tracker's analysis, which measures digital marketing effects, most of the search for "The Fiery Priest" was information about Kim Nam-gil.

In the midst of this, Kim Nam-gil's witty word-of-mouth and reaction, action and drama behind-the-scenes stories from the studio, which were also aired on SBS' special show "We Are Hot Bloods" on Thursday, drew attention. The ratings also hit 4.5 percent for the first part and 5.3 percent for the second part, higher than KBS2's "Happy Together 4" and MBC's "Section TV Entertainment News," which aired in the same time slot. 

Attention is drawn to Kim Nam-gil's move to capture both his acting skills and popularity with his own inner workings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

@phoenix24 I’m not too sure...but I do know from what I hear (part1) In FP Special pretty sure I heard him saying “Come on” in the most American sounding English (the level of accent is based on my own interpretation)

(From what I see) I think instead of English he might be able to speak mandarin :) because at one point he was majoring in Chinese language. Not too sure if he completed it or not but yeah he did attend that course :) 

Oh I was just responding to someone's old post, but did wonder about it before.

http://kimnamgilstory.blogspot.com/2011/02/update-kim-nam-gil-to-start-studying.html

This article say major in mandarin and minor in English.  From that instagram and youtube video to Thai Fans English not good yet and only mention will study then.

A snippet from Kim Nam Gil’s interview (in Mandarin):

https://m.weibo.cn/5252284957/4366401978631717

I will try to translate this when I have the time

34 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

He was speaking English thanks to Lee Honey for the KOCOWA promo clip :) 

Anyways, he was interviewed yesterday and the articles are up on Naver. Considering how chatterbox our samchoon is, he had a lot of things to say . Hoping the english sites will translate his interviews.

Some of the photos:

Reveal hidden contents

Snippets from the interviews

source

- He had chosen to have Father Haeil not to have mustache to make him at least look neat (haha)

- He would prefer to have season 2 with the original casts . The ensemble is perfect.

- He will have a rest first before considering new project. (as Honey mentioned in the TFP special, he did not fully recovered yet) 

- He did not expect the ratings to be that high for TFP. 

- He said he has no religion 

- About the Baeksang, he said he is not expecting a lot from it. He is not greedy to receive an award. (So basically he is not attending? :( ) 

Ohhh why is he looking so serious in these photos?!?! 

• Guest changed the title to Kim Nam Gil 김남길 : Ƹ An Actor's Actor Ʒ | Upcoming Film: 'Closet' | Finished Drama: The Fiery Priest

this interview is quiet interesting (as usual to KNG).

thanks to Kim Nm Gil twitter fan account to translated some quotes.

the part where he talks about the awards fascinated. mostly actors would play safe or deny the importance of said so. but him is honestly about not wanting or what a award could/can do to his career. he's not ashamed to let people know. i think he would be more glad if the drama got a nominated for best drama.

i used google translator, but the interviwer touch at the burning sun case and the rising moon club. idk if it's wrong but KNG said he's very into political and social issues. and at the time the ep was aired they're  not aware of the case. but he believes the BS will be resolved. i hope he's right bc some many things were revelead last week that my stomach hutrs only to think about it.

he didn't go further at the matter ad was very careful. i suspect it has something to do with his agency. Cjes used to managed Park Yoo Chun and they covered some of his mess in 2016. such as bride polices and investigation.  he was also suspected to be involved at the Burning Sun case which was denied later. so mb KNG didnt want to talk much...,

anyway i'm glad he will rest. i, for one, like actor who disappear than comebabk with another jobs. i like he keeps a air of mystery and doesn't fall at the fame stuff. i still think he's a reluctant star.

indeed i was wrong.  soompi post  part of the interview. is better and more accurate than  what i got with google. it's even more interesting.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1320971wpp/kim-nam-gil-discusses-the-burning-sun-controversy-reference-in-the-fiery-priest

Edited by maeve23
adição de comentário
  • Like 2

@maeve23 KNG's really deeply concerned with the societal issues which you can read about in his earlier interviews.  As you are aware, he setup Gilstory, an NGO to promote art and culture, and also as an avenue to bring warmth/comfort to people. 

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3027141

He is a thinker and I guess it's due much in part that he's a Pisces who are known to be empathic, intuitive and artistic.

But the bad side of this is that Pisces like being alone....... I guess to sort out one's thoughts and reflect.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Oh you also lol.

Pisces that i knew from real life is quite interesting character. Can be moody, have deep view for life, artistic, and never once bored me. I think KNG also have all this traits. Im on the way collecting Pisces oppa somehow! :joy:

Hello I’m married to one . But he’s not particularly chatty with strangers though he’s very vocal about his political beliefs ; yes I suppose has a deep view of life . Artistic yes . Moody - maybe but I think it’s often misunderstood as he’s introverted & likes to hide in his cave . 

Lol! This is was too cute . 

Edited by Guest

April 29, 2019

Interview

"The Fiery Priest" Kim Nam-gil "Bad Guy to Comedy"

Source: EDaily via HanCinema.net

photo1057885.jpg

"I like B-class comedy movies like "Shaolin Soccer", "The Funny Movie" and "Dachimawa Lee". My comedy comes from Stephen Chow and Im Won-hee. When I first started comedy in "Pirates" (2014), people said that it was truly me. I have a standard when it comes to choosing movies and dramas, and that's if the message is clear and if there is humor behind it. We need laughter in our lives".

The interview was full of laughter. He was a born-storyteller. His jokes lightened up the mood and there was no 'bad guy' to be seen around him. We are talking about actor Kim Nam-gil, who recently starred in the SBS Friday / Saturday miniseries "The Fiery Priest", which ended on the 20th.

Spoiler

photo1057886.jpg

Kim Nam-gil played Kim Hae-il, a former special agent and current priest. His anger management issues are the traumatic result of when he was an agent, so he's always losing it. However, his anger for justice was reasonable. His comedy and hidden parodies such as the satire of the club Rising Sun, which mocks the Burning Sun issue, contributed to the drama's popularity. The final episode of the drama ended with 22.0% (according to Nielsen Korea).

The actor gave credit to his colleagues. Eum Moon-seok in the role of Longde, Ahn Chang-hwan in the role of Ssong-ssak and Ko Kyu-pil in the role of Oh Yo-han were in the limelight. Kim Nam-gil said, "Everyone was perfect. Thanks to that everyone evenly got their share of the spotlight, and I'm most happy about that". This is also a reason why season 2 is in discussion right now. "I wish the members of season 1 can join the next season too", he hopes.

photo1057884.jpg

Another factor of the drama was the dynamic action. There were a lot of action scenes where Kim Nam-gil had to use his long legs, thus the injuries to the wrist and ribs. The production told him to take a break, but Kim Nam-gil had a different approach. He felt responsible for the viewers. He continued to film on painkillers. He said, "Everyone around me paid so much attention to me when I got hurt that it was almost embarrassing".

There was word of concern regarding the fact that he was a 'violent priest'. However, Kim Nam-gil, who is of no religious background, put more weight on the fact that his character was a former special agent. While preparing for the drama, he met priests in person and realized the images of priests and his character are completely different. There were some who actually gave him confidence. Kim Nam-gil said, "Thanks to this opportunity, I became close to one of them. The anger my character portrays is justifiable for the sake of the happiness of others".

Kim Nam-gil debuted in 2003 through MBC and rose to stardom in the MBC drama "Queen Seon-deok" and SBS "Bad Man". Then he suddenly left for National Service right after "Bad Man". "It was a chance for me to force my excitement down", he says. He sends the message of alternating happiness and sadness. He said, "I always commit myself to something thinking this could be my last piece of work". That's what he tells his juniors too.

photo1057883.jpg

We asked about the ordinary Kim Nam-gil. He replied that he's just a part of society. He enjoys hobbies like running and listening to music, he takes the subway from Suwon to Gangnam, and sometimes drives his small car. He also doesn't put weight on evaluation or numbers, but tries to make the most of his days. He claims he doesn't seek prizes, although he's a candidate for the Best Actor in Dramas at the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards.

"I used to put meaning into everything when I was young, and when I wasn't on the list of candidate I would be suspicious. However, from some point on, I realized that was me being rude to my colleagues and the staff that work with me. I decided not to care. I am happy to see senior actors be chosen for awards. It's a place for celebration. I plan on celebrating".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have known about Kim Namgil some time before, have heard his name a few times, but I've never felt tempted to check out any of his works. To be honest, the reason for this is very shallow - I think he's kinda cute, but the moustache was totally not my style. Recently I checked out The Fiery Priest after much recommendation from my sister, and wah really I have been missing out so much! And I only have myself to blame. Kim Namgil is a very, how do I say this? Magnetic? Actor? He really draws you in with his expressions and emotions and you can't help but pay attention to him. Especially of course, with his character in TFP how can you not pay attention to him? Lol. And he's very comedic too, and that's what makes me totally fall for him I guess, he has these unique expressions that are so funny and it shows he cares more about his acting and the viewers than his looks. 

After TFP I checked out Live Up to Your Name, and really he doesn't dissappoint at all. He's a great actor, really, I don't know how else to put it. He sometimes has very detailed things that he do that really adds to his character, and that is so amazing to me. And he can be SO adorable! I can't wait to see his future works! Excited for his new movie!

• Love 1