INFO

Director: Oh Sang Won

Writer: Im Seo Ra

Network: MBN, Viki, Viu
Genre: Drama, Romance, Fantasy

Episodes: 12

Release Date: October 28 - December 3, 2023

PLOT:

When Han Yi Joo wakes up, she finds herself back in time when she was engaged to Jung Se Hyeok. To change her fate and take revenge on her family, she breaks off her engagement to Jung Se Hyeok. She then approaches Seo Do Guk, whom her younger sister Han Yoo Ra wants to marry. Seo Do Guk is the grandson of the Taeja Group’s founder. He is a smart and handsome young man. Han Yi Joo wants to enter into a contract marriage with Seo Do Guk and he willingly accepts, but he wants the contract marriage to become a real marriage.

(Source: Mydramalist)

CAST

Sung Hoon as Seo Do Kook

Jung Yoo Min as Han Yi Joo

Jin Ji Hee as Han Yoo Ra

Kang Shin Hyo as Seo Jung Wook

Oh Seung Yun as Yoo Se Hyuk

Lee Min Young as Lee Jung Hye

Jeon Noh Min as Han Jin Woong

TEASERS/TRAILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ojNqT-kgQ

CHARACTER CHART

60n8lg_3f.jpg

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Soompi_Christmas_2023.gif?ex=6575a966&is

Good job! Here's the first card!

Soompi_X-Mas_Cards_2023_1.jpg?ex=6575c21

If you've found the other card, go back to the thread and let the EOs know which character you bet will win the showdown.

Joke of the day:

Why do reindeers like BTS so much? They sleigh! :D 

-----------

ORIGINAL POST

@MayanEcho @Ameera Ali @kingpin @confusedheart Created a thread for this drama. :kiss_wink:

Edited by partyon
Borrowed post for Soompi Winter Showdown 2023
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

@partyon

icegif-202.gif

0ba5db9810a441e9feee8dfd77cf5a1ee09d6471

+++

@Ameera Ali, @joccu @MayanEcho and other chingus we had a PMR thread:Woah:

===

what makes Perfect Marriage Revenge such compelling tv? (for a certain segment of the audience, including me)

• Protagonist has a very clear goal & motivations from the 1st episode
  • Justifiable revenge narratives with a vulnerable & damaged but resourceful lead are just fun
  • Main otp has very strong chemistry and the argument for why they are right for each other is clear in the narrative
  • All the main characters are very vivid - they're messy as hell and they're motivated; they want things and they have strengths, weaknesses, and fears
  • The viewer learns more & more about the cast of characters' weaknesses, strengths, fears, and values as the episodes progress. The plot is driven by human emotions & desires, not external forces
  • The show knows exactly what it is - it's going all-in, no shame. I love shows that own their genre and all the associated tropes with unabashed glee... that just try to execute on the template perfectly. Don't try to follow other trends or what's hot, don't go meta. Don't mock the genre & tropes, embrace them. (There's a place for trope subversion and flipping a genre on its head! It can be fantastic. But there is also a space for committing fully to the concept.)
  • Also what solidified for me after a few episodes is how much the viewer begins to thirst to see the FL get to be truly happy with people who care about her, because that's what Evil Mom, with divine, demonic pettiness, especially doesn't want. It's such a simple thing to desire... and yet seems so out of reach. And again, not due to external plot forces... not because of complicated politics or corporate war games. But because of who all these people are & their history. Compelling!
  • https://www.tumblr.com/silviakundera/733719693497679872/what-makes-perfect-marriage-revenge-such

This was such a good episode.

Yi Joo was terrified for Do Guk. She hasn’t quite stopped to think why that is, but she a desperate advocate for him at the hospital. She pulled a doctor away from a critical patient. When Do Guk is not in his bed, she is frantically looking for him.

She finds him and we get this moment:

https://myechoecho.tumblr.com/post/733718635574640640/perfect-marriage-revenge-ep-5

Spoiler

db6c7f5176f36c5e470be92980cceebd6df49cedShe initiated the contact. She grabs his hand and wrist with BOTH of her hands. Yi Joo sleeps outside his door, on the sofa because she was so worried. She learns about his panic disorder from his doctor friend, whom I love and hope we see more of.

I adore how Yi Joo has won over Do Guk’s family, by simply being herself. This episode had more to do with his grandmother. Yi Joo advises Tae Ja not to sully her good name and make sure she fully investigates the deal her father is making. Tae Ja helps get some information about her past and her grandfather. In the end, Tae Ja insists that Yi Joo call her grandmother. Yi Joo is so pleased about being accepted and it has nothing to do with her plans with Do Guk. As an orphan, it didn’t escape her notice how the kids in the home reacted to Tae Ja or how Tae Ja reacted to them. Further, she ate with Tae Ja which is simply massive for her and shows what trust she has in Do Guk’s grandmother. She has accepted his grandmother, just as much as she’s accepted her.

One important thing to note - Yi Joo has never directly bad mouthed her family in front of Do Guk’s. She doesn’t completely ignore it but she lets her feelings be known in a different way. “I prefer not to meet with Yoo Ra”, “Please do not call my mother for the wedding plans”. This is in stark contrast to Yi Joo’s family who trashes her in front of everyone.

As far as Yoo Ra is concerned, I’d say this is less her villain era and more her acting like her authentic self. She was always a villain, but masked it somewhat as her mother always had her back. She’s simply not hiding it now since her mother is not getting her what she wants. I suspected that Yoo Ra and Junk Wook (note: Junk Wook was a typo that I have decided deserves to remain) would team up and it’s looking like that will happen.

Jung Wook miscalculated with Yi Joo and she does not rise to his bait. She’s not here to play his games or for his attempts to manipulate her. He also proves her point, when Do Guk shows up and Jung Wook admits that he told Do Guk about the meeting.

You know, I’m not mad Do Guk calling Yi Joo out and reinforcing the boundary that she’s laid. She did meet with Jung Wook to find out more to help Do Guk. She knows that his brother is the reason he hates being home, cannot sleet and has panic attacks. But by doing this she has crossed a line that she imposed (separate lives). Do Guk is not unwilling to tell her but he warns her it will entangle them further and it will become more and more real. He knows she’s not there yet and Yi Joo proves it by pushing him away. Do Guk is so disappointed and he has to draw another line in asking her not to touch him. It’s a bit of self preservation.

Se Hyeok proves again how ugly a person he is. “how could you do this to meeeee?” he whines. Doesn’t acknowledge WHY he was dumped and it’s all about him. He basically says he hates her and hopes she’ll be miserable. I appreciate how outside of making Se Hyeok keep his distance, Do Guk allow Yi Joo to control what she wants to do or say. It’s only at the end that he says anything. For Yi Joo, I think she understands there’s an element of truth to what Se Hyeok is saying (she doesn’t looks excited or happy). But it also reinforces her decision.

I love how Do Duk paid attention to her in her wedding dress and said she was beautiful. Contrast to Se Hyeok who could barely look at her and was like whatever.

We found out what the secret Yi Joo’s grandfather was hiding - Yi Joo father is actually her bio father. And I guess that the grandfather wanted to make up for the one child who died by making sure his granddaughter was in her family home. But that home turned out to be awful and I don’t know why he didn’t do more when she was a child. I also don’t know how Yi Joo’s mom knows the truth about Yi Joo’s parentage. She’s also clearly poisoning her husband. She was probably poisoning Yi Joo as well, but Yi Joo knew better and did not take the pills. It wouldn’t surprise me if the mother had something to do with the grandfather being in the home.

Stray thought - what if the adoptive mom killed the bio mom so she could have the bio dad?? Considering this show, it would not be that wild a theory.

Any question about Do Guk being in the other car was answered. When he saw the drawing, he near on had another panic attack and could hear the crash over and over. He was 100% in the accident and transmigrated with Yi Joo.

Yi Joo must have run out of that closet in some sort of trauma and shock only to have the police find her. Do Gok tenderly he takes care of her. He tends to the wounds on her feet, puts her to bed, does not press her for details. But because he loves her, he cannot fully leave her and “crosses the line” to comfort her by just being beside her and patting her shoulder. No one has ever cared for her like this before.

We have a bit of a time jump and it’s the wedding time. I gather that things might still be a bit weird between Yi Joo and Do Guk. I think that Yi Joo is still processing the information about her parentage.

But here comes her mother, saying she’s not family and taunting her to try to be happy. Which really triggers Yi Joo to the point of wanting to smash a vase of flowers over her mother’s head - which I assume it is who Do Guk stops her.

I’ve seen some comments that say Yi Joo is too weak, or flip flops too much. I think that this might be the point where any seemingly hesitation is gone. For me, it always made sense that Yi Joo looks like she’s hesitating because she’s going against years of conditioning, abuse and trauma. While she does have those moments, she always picks herself up and pushes back in her own way. When her mother and ex’s mom stage that little play that throws her off, she then takes down her mother’s forgery ring on her own, without any help from Do Guk. When Do Guk finds Yi Joo, Yoo Ra and his mom meeting, she does not automatically leave when he says so. No, she stays to say her piece and leaves when she’s ready. So whatever may have been slightly holding her back, she’s done with that now.

Side note: It is just me or are Do Guk and Yi Joo staring to wear the same/similar colours/patterns?

==

• Spoiler

dreamingsnowflake2013:

Their chemistry is on fire. Also, this does NOT care for this man whatsoever. Yi Joo is already neck-deep and drowning in him, but remains both clueless and in denial because of the need to protect herself from another disappointment and heartbreak.

She GRABS HIS WRIST for the first time! YAY! After that speech about boundaries, she sure keeps crossing them way too often.

Not the best news you want to hear from your future, even if fake, husband, but it makes her realise he is much more complicated and damaged than she expected.

It’s Do Guk who is trying to keep a distance between them, setting up walls and putting boundaries between them, giving Yi Joo taste of her own medicine, and she finds out she doesn’t like it, to be kept at arm’s length by him. Also, he says “their home”!

Him having a nightmare and suffocating all night long, and her sleeping on the sofa in front of the door to his room in case he needed her! These two are going to be the death of me!

She is COOKING porridge for him! Squeaaaaal, but also, he is already sick, no reason to make it worse. 

adding

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

Thanks @partyon for starting this thread.

I had watched the ML in a couple of dailies - part of them anyway. He’s a real hero, true to his heart here. A little panic disorder is good for them to ‘get close’. I gave up after one episode of some romance that he led.

In the earlier episode, she bugged me. She was bold and unpredictable when she asked ML to marry her. I thought ‘what a girl!’. Then later, she went all prim and proper when there were hints to a conjugal relationship. Really, what would he get from the marriage? A maid and chat mate? Then he talked about ‘crossing the line’. So corny. 
:lol:
But she seems or the writer is focusing on the revenge in the preview. Good.

So it is confirmed, she is the blood daughter where as the evil sister was brought into the marriage. This may be going to be a modified Cinderella story. The evil sister even looks like one of the sisters in Cinderella story movie.

The step mother is flagrantly evil. She didn’t even pretend to the future in laws.

This show gives me hope, I can watch something enjoyable, I hope.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

"Let me ask you a favor, Han Yi Joo. If you can't handle me, don't touch me. I'm already holding back enough.":1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):4def792971826641af81fdc2a18d62b90e9b7a91

2f2a3cb73a502eb9c8d335245f18ff2e32af3792

He is ready to give literally all of himself to Yi Joo. And he KNOWS she's not there yet, that she's still fighting what is obviously developing between them.  He warns her so she can stayed on her side where she's still wanting to stay, respecting her boundary even though she's the one who keeps trying to cross it.

========

One my fave scene was this one, where she's in shock after finding out the truth about her background and he just  washing the blood off at her feet

0faaa0740e525b21cb26bc44b4927aafd586d294

Perfect Marriage Revenge, bringing me to a soap opera goodness but in a shorter version.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

18 minutes ago, maribella said:

Isn’t it great? A hero who doesn’t always take the high road. Pushing a man with a walking stick is risky. But what the heck, watch your mouth.

these evil characters will be turning the leads to a murders :lol:

IMG-5322.gif

oppe be like , violence not the answer in our wedding day :yum:

IMG-5323.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

is that karma because I make fun of @agenth & @partyon oppa pot belly

Please don't remind me of my oppa's pot belly anymore. :crybaby:Oppa used to look like this...

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

But alas, no more. :brokenheart:

19 hours ago, maribella said:

Thanks @partyon for starting this thread.

@Ameera Ali and @kingpin kept pestering me about a thread. :joy: I'm not even watching this drama. I deduced it would be easier to just create the drama thread and get it over and done with.

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, partyon said:

Please don't remind me of my oppa's pot belly anymore. :crybaby:Oppa used to look like this...

But alas, no more. :brokenheart:

@Ameera Ali and @kingpin kept pestering me about a thread. :joy: I'm not even watching this drama. I deduced it would be easier to just create the drama thread and get it over and done with.

Ne’er theless still appreciated. 

I hope it’s a real revenge to end the year. All writers that I had or am watching just don’t have the energy to reach the finishing line. They muddle up the revenge.

Are you saying Ji CW does not have abs anymore? I thought he was pretty good in The Worst evil. But then, my standard for abs is quite low. :hwaiting2:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 1

22 minutes ago, maribella said:

Are you saying Ji CW does not have abs anymore? I

No abs. Oppa lost them. :criesariver:

The Worst of Evil featured his pot belly instead. Thank goodness oppa is a great actor - he might have been dumped otherwise.

22 minutes ago, maribella said:

hope it’s a real revenge to end the year. All writers that I had or am watching just don’t have the energy to reach the finishing line. They muddle up the revenge.

Chingu, I am holding off watching this drama. The reason is the writer. I watched the only other drama penned by him/her - it was a disaster. :grimace:

He/she wrote the screenplay for Feel Good to Die - which I watched as it was airing (if I remember correctly it was in 2018 or 2019). It was based on a Webtoon (like Perfect Marriage Revenge). The writer rewrote the whole ending. Heck, he/she rewrote the characters even and their character development. She even rewrote who the OTP was. It was an insufferable drama. By the end, it didn’t resemble the Webtoon one iota. :rage:

Have zero trust he/she won’t do the same this time around. So I will wait.

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, partyon said:

was. It was an insufferable drama. By the end, it didn’t resemble the Webtoon one iota. :rage:

Have zero trust he/she won’t do the same this time around. So I will wait.

:what!: 
Actually this episode is rather patchy.

She is the revenge seeking person so I expected her to be different than the demure, sidelined daughter. Then they had the typical bedroom scene, she pushing him away and he trying to score. The corniest part is how she cured him of his fear of water in 2 minutes. :Megalol:
Somehow, I sort of like her sister Yoo Ra who slept with YJ’s ex and had breakfast with him casually. Then she started dating ML’s older brother.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, Photo Photo said:

So, I don't understand why the ML is already in love with FL? And why he agreed to marry her? Did he have feelings on her from before that we don't know of? Did he like her from before? 

Spoiler

Yes, he fell for her in their previous life. He first saw her on her wedding to his subordinate, who's also the son of FL's father's driver. It was love at first sight for ML.

• Love 2
  • Insightful 1

This is very much like a Cinderella tale. 

So Yu Ra might need to shut her mouth as Yi Joo is an actual heiress. She is a monster raised by her equally diabolical mother. 

It looks like Do Guk time traveled too. Maybe that's why he was so eager to get into a contract marriage with Yi Joo. He knows as well. I just hope these 2 will get the happiness they deserve.

Looks like the evil stepmom is poisoning Yi Joo's dad. And like the leech she is has not only been gaslighting her own stepdaughter but making profits out of her talent.

Tossed into that crazy salad is Do Guk's bro, Jung Wook ha-ha. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2