[Drama 2024] Frankly Speaking/No Secret, 비밀은 없어

larus

Here are the Ratings for Episode 6! :).

20240516235433_Kang-Han-Na-Go-Kyung-Pyo.

"Frankly Speaking" Heads Into 2nd Half On Steady Ratings

JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” has wrapped up the first half of its run!

On May 16, viewership ratings for the romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Han Na held relatively steady ahead of the drama’s second half.

According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of “Frankly Speaking” scored an average nationwide rating of 1.4 percent.

“Frankly Speaking” airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1662062wpp/frankly-speaking-heads-into-2nd-half-on-steady-ratings

• Blob 1

13 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of “Frankly Speaking” scored an average nationwide rating of 1.4 percent.

It is low but doesn`t matter. I like the drama so far. I have not seen episode 6 yet.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Just finished Ep 3 last night! Need to catch up a bunch. The guy is hilarious. The girl's character feels a bit generic to me (and I feel like SO many K-actresses look alike), but it's fun so far. I like that it's not straight-out comedy, but that he's dealing with quite a bit of junk in his work and personal life. It's so cathartic when he tells people off.

Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

Frankly Speaking: Episodes 5-6

by DaebakGrits

Filming for our writer’s variety show has begun, and we’re introduced to a whole new cast of characters. Competition and romance are the nature of the game, but our poor, truth-telling news anchor is an awkward fish out of water when it comes to both. Will the real him be enough to win over his cast mates, the audience, and — most importantly — our writer’s heart?

EPISODES 5-6

If the suspense of finding out the new concept for Woo-joo’s variety show is killing you, the wait is over. She turned her (ambiguous) previous idea into a — wait for it — dating reality show. Hear that? That’s the sound of me deflating like a balloon animal. Even when you exclude all the real dating shows that exist in the world and are left with only dating shows within K-dramas, Woo-joo’s idea is not as original as she was making it out to be. Certainly not race-through-the-city-to-find-Ki-baek-because-she-must-tell-him-immediately levels of excitement.

Then again, her eagerness for her new concept may have less to do with the dating backdrop and more to do with her main stars: Jung-heon and Ki-baek. She’s picked up on the fact that there’s tension between the former high school classmates, and she intends to exploit it in front of the camera. And to get Ki-baek on board with her little plan, she agrees to become his switch flipper with the added promise of potentially helping his career with his variety show debut. Ki-baek’s often put-upon doctor (repeat guest appearances from Kwon Yul) serves as the reluctant witness to their deal, sealed with a pinky-promise.

And so filming of the not-so-fresh dating show begins with the cast arriving — scripted, of course — one-by-one at the pension where they will all be staying for the duration of the show’s run. Joining Ki-baek and Jung-heon on Team Testosterone is a French cuisine chef, who is certainly no Chef John, and a men’s clothing designer. The four men are all vying for the attention of three lovely ladies: a swimmer-turned-TV-personality, a graphic designer, and a lawyer.

As you may have noticed, the numbers are imbalanced, leaving one man to be the odd one out, and initially that man is awkward Ki-baek, who doesn’t know how to charm the ladies — or the PD crew — on a good day. And because Ki-baek must play this real-world dating sim on expert mode, he’s all truth and no lies, as Woo-joo assures him his quirkiness will be refreshing for the camera. Is honesty refreshing? Yes, but when you can’t fudge the truth about your current unemployment status, it diminishes your appeal on the dating market — especially when everyone’s favorite son-in-law, Jung-heon, is your competition.

Ki-baek is immediately at a disadvantage against the other men who are not only gainfully employed, but more skilled at hamming it up for the audience. Behind the scenes, though, Woo-joo gives Ki-baek a crash course in how to win the hearts of the ladies and their viewers. It all boils down to three traits: victory (winning challenges), loyalty (picking one lady and sticking with her), and “yutori” (a flexible personality or relaxed mind).

With these three traits in mind, Ki-baek enters the first challenge: a mud wrestling match. Again, not an original idea, but it triggers the men’s aggressive need to win. And when the four men are narrowed down to the three that will compete with a woman at their side in round two, that competitiveness turns into a sense of protectiveness that naturally bonds the men and women — or so Woo-joo theorizes. I don’t see much of the protectiveness Woo-joo was talking about, but after Ki-baek loses to Jung-heon in the final round, Ki-baek and his mud wrestling partner, Ms. Former Swimmer, do form an alliance. Admittedly, their partnership has nothing to do with instinctive responses and everything to do with the fact that he overhears her breaking up with her boyfriend on the phone.

With this alliance, Ki-baek ticks off another appealing reality TV quality (loyalty) from Woo-joo’s list, but the real woman Ki-baek is loyal to is Woo-joo. When he overhears crew members speculating that he’s on the show solely because he’s sleeping with Woo-joo, his true protective instincts kick in to prevent her from overhearing the gossip. He grabs her hand, places it on his chest, and flips off his truth-telling switch so he can put on an act of pretending he and Woo-joo are only casual acquaintances to spare her reputation. (FYI: It’s very worth noting that he’s previously suffered through the awkwardness of telling the truth despite the hit he took to his own reputation, and it was only when Woo-joo’s honor was on the line that he took the initiative to regain his ability to lie.)

Even though Woo-joo doesn’t know that Ki-baek came to her rescue, she’s clearly starting to fall for our awkward hero. She simultaneously feels bad for him (when Jung-heon tries to break up Ki-baek’s alliance with Ms. Former Swimmer) and jealous (that Ki-baek gave the last of his parents’ rice drink to Ms. Former Swimmer instead of her). In the editing room, she also lingers on footage of him, a sign so obvious that even her bestie coworker, CHAE YEON (Kim Sae-byuk), calls her out on it.

As much as Woo-joo denies the truth, her feelings come to head when Ki-baek gets lost — and possibly injured — in the woods on the latest bonding activity for the contestants: a horror-themed walk through the forest. Woo-joo doesn’t hesitate to run into the woods after him, and her relief at finding him in one piece leads to her confession that he makes her heart flutter. (Omo!) However, knowing her own feelings jeopardize the show and her career, Woo-joo takes back her words and touches Ki-baek’s chest so he can’t tell her his feelings and sway her. The show is her priority.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/05/frankly-speaking-episodes-5-6/

• Blob 1

16 hours ago, agenth said:

I am screaming at the end of episode 6!!!

Screaming in anger? :scream:

6 hours ago, sweetroad said:

The guy is hilarious.

YES! Go Kyung Po is so good in his role, srsly.

:happy2:

• Awesome 1

20240522100644_frankly-speaking-7.jpg?s=Kang Han Na, Go Kyung Pyo, And Joo Jong Hyuk’s Love Triangle Heats Up In “Frankly Speaking”

May 22, 2024
by E Ezeji

The love triangle on JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” is about to get even more tense!

“Frankly Speaking” is a romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo as Song Ki Baek, a rising news anchor whose life takes a (literally) shocking turn when he is electrocuted in an accident, leading him to develop a strange condition that prevents him from lying. Kang Han Na stars as On Woo Ju, a passionate variety show writer who is willing to do anything to make a program entertaining, while Joo Jong Hyuk plays her ex-boyfriend Kim Jung Heon, a popular trot singer.

Spoilers

In the last broadcast of “Frankly Speaking,” an unexpected development that shocked everyone unfolded. On Woo Ju, the main writer of the dating variety show “Couple’s Paradise” was added to the cast of the dating show to fill the void left by a cast member who abruptly withdrew from the show.

Woo Ju has been a professional variety show writer for 12 years. She knows what makes a character popular with viewers and how to spark romantic feelings between cast members. She even showed her professionalism by sharing her know-how with Song Ki Baek, who was embarking on his first variety show appearance. Viewers are eagerly anticipating what kind of persona Woo Ju, who understands the world of variety shows better than anyone, will show as a cast member herself.

The newly released stills give a glimpse of the first filming of “Couple’s Paradise” featuring Woo Ju. Woo Ju, who calls herself a “Jack of all trades” for her extensive experience behind the scenes in various variety show projects, appears visibly nervous stepping into the spotlight as a cast member. The photos capture her looking lost and even causing an accident on set, creating a tense atmosphere as everyone watches her fumble through her new role.

frankly-speaking-5.jpg

Spoiler

frankly-speaking-4.jpg

frankly-speaking-6.jpg

The following set of photos offer a sneak peek into the love triangle between Woo Ju and two of her fellow cast members. Sparks are flying between Woo Ju and Song Ki Baek, and the fact that her ex-boyfriend Kim Jung Heon is also a member of the cast makes the situation even more interesting. Both Song Ki Baek and Kim Jung Heon have their eyes set on Woo Ju and each is eager to take care of Woo Ju in their own way.

frankly-speaking-2.jpg

Spoiler

frankly-speaking-1.jpg

frankly-speaking-3.jpg

The production team of “Frankly Speaking” commented, “Woo Ju faces a new turning point as she becomes a cast member of ‘Couple’s Paradise.’ Her awkwardness, including being overly conscious of the camera, will bring smiles to viewers’ faces.” They added, “Please pay close attention and anticipate the changes that will occur in the intense love triangle between Woo Ju, Song Ki Baek, and Kim Jung Heon as a result of this new development.”

The next episode of “Frankly Speaking” airs on May 22 at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1663223wpp/kang-han-na-go-kyung-pyo-and-joo-jong-hyuks-love-triangle-heats-up-in-frankly-speaking

22 minutes ago, partyon said:

Watching ep 7 now

Has the drama reached episode 7? I have to watch episode 4. I am busy these days. I was away last weekend too. Let see when I will catch up.

• Shocked 1

Just now, africandramalover said:

I'm actually on my way to curl up in bed and watch ep7!:joy:

Am already in bed watching ep 7 now. :D Am liking this drama a lot :fullofhearts:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, larus said:

Has the drama reached episode 7? I have to watch episode 4. I am busy these days. I was away last weekend too. Let see when I will catch up.

What The Hell Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

You better catch up, chingu. Pali!

Hurry Up GIF

@agenth @africandramalover @backstreetboysfan @agenth @sweetroad

Thoughts about ep 7

Spoiler

The kiss!

kwangsoo-fangirl.gif

So sweet that she initiated first :wub:

I was guessing the Director was the boy's mom. Fun that Ki Baek's little brother is gonna be his stepdad soon. I was a bit bummed at first when the brother got visibly upset when he found out who the boy's mom is. I thought he wouldn't want to date the Director because she was a single mom. But turns out he thought she wasn't single and was so happy that he now has a chance with her.

LOL at the boy hating him though :D

Question:

Did you think that the 2nd ML's lie was worth breaking up for? I mean, sure, it wasn't nice, but am assuming there were some reasons behind it. The way the FL was going on about how he lied to her, I was thinking he had been cheating on her.

I just love how honest both leads are about their feelings to each other - a lot of the times - even though they're super awkward. The way they are falling in love feels quite natural in a way. The way it often plays out IRL.

The men in this drama are looking tanned and healthy. It's seldom we see tanned kdrama leads. It's so refreshing to see. :wub:

• Like 2

Here are the Ratings for Episode 7! :).

20240523015421_frankly-speaking-01.jpeg?

"Frankly Speaking" Kicks Off Its Second Half With Steady Ratings

Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Han Na‘s “Frankly Speaking” continues its lone ratings race!

According to Nielsen Korea, episode 7 of JTBC’s rom-com drama “Frankly Speaking” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 1.3 percent. This is a 0.1 percent decrease from its previous episode’s rating of 1.4 percent.

“Frankly Speaking” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1663432wpp/frankly-speaking-kicks-off-its-second-half-with-steady-ratings

• Blob 1

9 hours ago, partyon said:

You better catch up, chingu. Pali!

@agenth @africandramalover @backstreetboysfan @agenth @sweetroad

Thoughts about ep 7

Reveal hidden contents

The kiss!

So sweet that she initiated first :wub:

I was guessing the Director was the boy's mom. Fun that Ki Baek's little brother is gonna be his stepdad soon. I was a bit bummed at first when the brother got visibly upset when he found out who the boy's mom is. I thought he wouldn't want to date the Director because she was a single mom. But turns out he thought she wasn't single and was so happy that he now has a chance with her.

LOL at the boy hating him though 

Question:

Did you think that the 2nd ML's lie was worth breaking up for? I mean, sure, it wasn't nice, but am assuming there were some reasons behind it. The way the FL was going on about how he lied to her, I was thinking he had been cheating on her.

I just love how honest both leads are about their feelings to each other - a lot of the times - even though they're super awkward. The way they are falling in love feels quite natural in a way. The way it often plays out IRL.

OMG that kiss :wub:. Yeah that is what I was thinking (Like does he have a reason), me to.

I love that to it does.

• Awesome 1

Here are the Ratings for Episode 8! :).

20240523234219_Go-Kyung-Pyo-Kang-Han-Na-

"Frankly Speaking" Ratings See Slight Rise

Viewership ratings for JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” are holding relatively steady!

On May 23, the romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo, Kang Han Na, and Joo Jong Hyuk enjoyed a slight rise in viewership for its latest episode.

According to Nielsen Korea, “Frankly Speaking” climbed back up to an average nationwide rating of 1.4 percent for the night, matching its ratings from last Thursday.

“Frankly Speaking” airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1663698wpp/frankly-speaking-ratings-see-slight-rise

• Like 1

Frankly Speaking: Episodes 7-8

by DaebakGrits

Even though our writer has joined the cast of her own show, her true feelings remain hidden from the cameras as she and her fellow cast members pair off in ways that are best for ratings — and for their personal ambitions. But even after the cameras stop filming, our writer and news anchor — can we still call him that? — discover that the lies told on “reality” television have a way of blocking them from their happiness in the real world.

Nothing about reality television is real, so it should come as no surprise that the cast of our dating-show-within-a-Korean-drama was given a heads up that Woo-joo would be joining them in front of the cameras. Yeah, all those shocked faces we saw last week when Woo-joo walked around the corner and revealed herself as the newest cast member on Couples Paradise? 100% scripted. The actual reality behind this particular reality show is that Jung-heon suggested Woo-joo should replace the missing Ms. Former Swimmer, and once Woo-joo begrudgingly agreed that she was objectively their best option to salvage Couples Paradise, the rest of the cast was then looped in and asked for their input.

For the most part, they were just curious as to why Woo-joo — one of the writers, of all people — was the chosen replacement, and Jung-heon volunteered the information that he and Woo-joo used to date. After that particular cat was let out of the bag, the rest of the cast acknowledged that her presence on Couples Paradise (as Jung-heon’s former girlfriend) was thematically on brand. And with everyone in agreement that the show would proceed with Woo-joo, filming reconvened the next day as though Ms. Former Swimmer was never there. (Seriously, how are they going to explain that one to the viewers when they have no idea why she fled in the middle of the night?)

Frankly Speaking: Episodes 7-8 Frankly Speaking: Episodes 7-8

The next morning, filming is off to a rather rocky start. Woo-joo, who has spent her entire career behind the scenes, doesn’t quite know what to do with herself once she’s put in front of the camera. She’s stiff and unable to quelch her support staff instincts that have her hollering at the crew when she realizes the tissue box on set is empty. However, all is not lost because, in Woo-joo’s moment of awkwardness, Ki-baek and Jung-heon’s low-key chivalry is caught on camera. Thus, a new love triangle for Couples Paradise is introduced, and Yeon and Ha-young breathe a sigh of relief.

After breakfast, Team Testosterone is tasked with picking an item belonging to one of the ladies from a basket in order to determine the pairings for the next challenge. Jung-heon and Ki-baek are the last two to pick. Jung-heon assumes the cat keychain belongs to Cho-hui, so he picks the lip gloss and smirks at Ki-baek, whisper-taunting, “Enjoy your date with Cho-hui.” Jokes on him, though, because the keychain belongs to Woo-joo, and Ki-baek knew it all along.

The next competition is an ATV race across the beach, and Woo-joo is so excited that Ki-baek doesn’t even attempt to fight her for the right to drive the all terrain vehicle. The rest of Team Testosterone take up the traditionally masculine role of the driver and have their partners hold on from behind, but Ki-baek sits behind Woo-joo and clings to her. Honestly, it was this little detail that single-handedly doubled my love of Ki-baek’s character. It would have been so easy for him to have tried to prove his manliness by being the one to race head to head against Jung-heon, but he put Woo-joo’s happiness first. And in the end, it turned out to be a smart move, and their combined enthusiasm won them the competition and the right to go on a date together.

Except… Ki-baek doesn’t want to cash in their winning ticket on a date with Woo-joo. Despite her objections and her insistence that they should follow the script that her fellow writers’ are setting up for them, we all know there’s a little part of Woo-joo that’s hurt to know he wants to use the ticket on a date with (bleh) Cho-hui. Woo-joo need not worry, though, because Ki-baek doesn’t have any romantic feelings for Cho-hui. Instead, he wants to use the date as an opportunity to ditch the mics and camera crew so he can be alone with Cho-hui and ask her why she blackmailed Ms. Former Swimmer into leaving the Couples Paradise. (Yup, I knew she was suss.)

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/05/frankly-speaking-episodes-7-8/

• Like 2

Watched ep 8 and Song Ki Baek is still so cute. :wub: He is now the one who is more in love than Woo Joo. lol

I guess she needs time to finalize the closure of the breakup with Jung Heon, before she is 100% ready for a new relationship.

I just hope the ending of ep 8 doesn't cause misunderstandings. Keeping my fingers crossed that Ki Baek can openly ask Woo Joo about what he saw and get an honest answer back. I think she was just comforting Jung Heon - I don't think she has any romantic feelings left for him at all.

• Like 2

I catched up with all the episodes and I watched episode 8 yesterday. 

I was wrong!!! 🤣 The kid was not Woo Joo`s son. But the show totally wanted to believe that. Even Ki Baek thought for a moment that the kid must be her son. Whatever! I don`t know why they want to trick the audience with this cheap trick. It was just a red herring to pass time.

I am a little disappointed that the plot didn`t use this route (to make Woo Joo a single mother and to see how the two men deal with this important issue) but I am more disappointed with Woo Joo`s motive to broke up with Jeong-Heon. To see her reaction towards him after so many years after the break up I thought he has done something terrible. Without the kid factor, her hurt felt flat. I am not saying she did not had a valid point to be hurt but the writer made it out of proportion.

I am more sorry for Jeong Heon in the present because it was obvious that he regreted the break up (he did not have a choice but to accept her decission), he knew he made a mistake and not resolve it so he was stuck emotionally in the past  (he did not move on, he still has feelings for her ) and now he knows she likes someone else. I hope he will heal and can love someone else in the future. I liked that Woo Joo met him and allow them to get a proper closer.

The ending.... Of course Ki Baek was surprised to see Woo Joo`s hugging Jeong Heon and from the preview, they did not go with the misunderstanding route so it is fine. I continue to like Ki Baek in everything and I like that he is so honest with his everything. That `accident` was a blessing for him...and for us. 

I also like Ki Baek`s brother and Chae Yeon`s little romance. I would like to see a little more exploration into Ki Baek`s relationship with his family, especially with his father. 

• Like 2