[Drama 2024] Frankly Speaking/No Secret, 비밀은 없어

larus

1 minute ago, larus said:

but I am more disappointed with Woo Joo`s motive to broke up with Jeong-Heon. To see her reaction towards him after so many years after the break up I thought he has done something terrible. Without the kid factor, her hurt felt flat. I am not saying she did not had a valid point to be hurt but the writer made it out of proportion.

I agree with this. In real life her hurt seems to have been blown out of proportion. Not saying what he did was right, but I still don't understand the lengths she went to to cut him off. I also agree that they could have made it more interesting by making her a single mom.

Am hoping the writer will give some more background why she acted so strongly. I don't know if this was ever mentioned, but Woo Joo was apparently adopted? I don't remember this being mentioned, but the mom is listed on MDL as "Woo Joo's adoptive mother". Maybe Woo Joo is ashamed of being adopted and hence she reacted so strongly?

:idk:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, partyon said:

Am hoping the writer will give some more background why she acted so strongly. I don't know if this was ever mentioned, but Woo Joo was apparently adopted? I don't remember this being mentioned, but the mom is listed on MDL as "Woo Joo's adoptive mother". Maybe Woo Joo is ashamed of being adopted and hence she reacted so strongly?

I thought Ki Baek was adopted at first and later we`ll learn a more about him. 😆 I don`t know many things about Woo Joo. Maybe she is adopted and that`s why she reacted do strongly. I thought she was so categorical in asking for a breakup without trying to understand why her partner did what he did, that I was taking aback (not in a good way, despite seing that Jeong-Heon made a mistake first). I think this needs a clarification. I will not be surprise to see that the writer made us not understanding Woo Joo completely and later make us trying to understand her using new information. I wish there is not the case but I saw this plot devise (in other kdramas) to move on the events. I am not a fan of this but, I guess, it is better this way than not giving us anything.

I wish they use more the other side characters to understand deeper the protagonists.

I still like this show despite some flaws.

• Like 1

20240529085200_frankly-speaking-4_c62226

Go Kyung Pyo And Kang Han Na Go On A Late Night Camping Date In “Frankly Speaking”

May 29, 2024
by E Ezeji

JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” has shared new stills ahead of its upcoming episode!

“Frankly Speaking” is a romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo as Song Ki Baek, a rising news anchor whose life takes a (literally) shocking turn when he is electrocuted in an accident, leading him to develop a strange condition that prevents him from lying. Kang Han Na stars as On Woo Ju, a passionate variety show writer who is willing to do anything to make a program entertaining, while Joo Jong Hyuk plays her ex-boyfriend Kim Jung Heon, a popular trot singer.

Spoilers

In the last broadcast, Song Ki Baek had questions about his relationship with On Woo Ju. He was unable to clearly define their relationship due to the awkward atmosphere after their kiss.

Following the successful premiere of the dating show “Couple’s Paradise,” Woo Ju, who was worried that people’s attention might turn to them instead of the final couple, firmly told Ki Baek, “We are not in a relationship where we can ride in the same car to our schedules.” This, coupled with the fact that she was always the one to contact him first, further confused Ki Baek.

Acting on the advice of his senior, Yoon Ji Hu (Go Kyu Pil), who told him to ask Woo Ju about it instead of worrying about it alone, Song Ki Baek went to find Woo Ju. However, he unexpectedly witnessed an affectionate embrace between her and Kim Jung Heon. The realization that Jung Heon is Woo Ju’s ex-boyfriend and that she still has feelings for him made Ki Baek’s heart sink.

The released stills showcase the romantic tension between Ki Baek and Woo Ju during a late-night camping date. The affectionate look in their eyes as they look at each other suggests a change in their relationship. Viewers are left wondering if they have finally defined their relationship and become a couple.

frankly-speaking-3_8dd20d.jpg

Spoiler

frankly-speaking-2_41e98b.jpg

frankly-speaking-1_6c9cf3.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1664737wpp/go-kyung-pyo-and-kang-han-na-go-on-a-late-night-camping-date-in-frankly-speaking

• Like 1

20240529092819_frankly-speaking-5_8e71804 Points To Look Forward To In Remaining Episodes Of "Frankly Speaking"

May 29, 2024
by E Ezeji

“Frankly Speaking” has shared points viewers should look forward to in its remaining episodes!

“Frankly Speaking” is a romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo as Song Ki Baek, a rising news anchor whose life takes a (literally) shocking turn when he is electrocuted in an accident, leading him to develop a strange condition that prevents him from lying. Kang Han Na stars as On Woo Ju, a passionate variety show writer who is willing to do anything to make a program entertaining, while Joo Jong Hyuk plays her ex-boyfriend Kim Jung Heon, a popular trot singer.

With only four episodes left until its conclusion, “Frankly Speaking” has revealed four intriguing points viewers should anticipate in its upcoming episodes!

Spoilers

The love triangle between Song Ki Baek, On Woo Ju, and Kim Jung Heon

The display of the love triangle between Song Ki Baek, On Woo Ju, and Kim Jung Heon at the end of the last broadcast left viewers in shock. After a kiss between Woo Ju and Ki Baek, the awkward atmosphere made Ki Baek question his relationship with Woo Ju. His feelings for Woo Ju had grown to the point where he only wanted to talk about his future with her, but he wasn’t sure if she felt the same way.

Acting on the advice of his senior Yoon Ji Hu (Go Kyu Pil), who told him, “You will never know until you ask,” Song Ki Baek went to find Woo Ju. However, he witnessed an affectionate embrace between her and her ex-boyfriend Jung Heon. Jung Heon had visited Woo Ju to ask her forgiveness for lying to her in the past, and Woo Ju understood that he had lied to protect her and accepted his apology.

What does the hug between them mean? What will Ki Baek’s reaction be? Will Ki Baek and Woo Ju be able to define their relationship? These are just a few of the questions that viewers are eager to find answers to.frankly-speaking-1_9e266e.jpg

Another crisis in Ki Baek and Woo Ju’s lives

Ki Baek and Woo Ju found themselves in a dark place, unable to see a way forward. Ki Baek’s carefully built image was destroyed overnight due to his brutal honesty, and Woo Ju faced numerous challenges due to the label of being a washed-up writer.

In order to break out of their current situation and turn their lives around, Woo Ju came up with the idea of a dating variety show called “Couple’s Paradise.” Sensing that Ki Baek’s brutal honesty would be well-received, she brought him into the world of variety shows, urging him to start anew. Woo Ju’s intuition proved right as people who had initially viewed Ki Baek’s brutal honesty negatively began to appreciate his sincerity and genuine character.

The reaction to the first broadcast of “Couple’s Paradise,” which was full of twists and turns, was also explosive. Ki Baek, whose honesty became his strength, was offered a regular MC position on a show, and the station’s opinion of Woo Ju changed 180 degrees. Just when we thought a glimmer of light had finally entered their lives, the preview for episode 9 showed Woo Ju in tears, hinting at another crisis.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1664235wpp/4-points-to-look-forward-to-in-remaining-episodes-of-frankly-speaking

• Like 3

@larus @agenth @africandramalover @sweetroad @Lmangla 

Just watched ep 9. I like the chemistry between Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Hana, and guess what? I found out that they had worked together before back in 2013! :scream:

They appeared in part 1 of a compilation of 4 movies (short stories). They played a couple in that one.

The movie is only 2 min 40 seconds long, and the story is quite self-explanatory even if you don't speak Korean - lol

They were funny already back then :joy:

• Like 2

Here are the Ratings for Episode 9! :).

20240530014631_frankly-speaking.jpg?s=90

"Frankly Speaking" Ratings Remain Steady

JTBC’s rom-com drama “Frankly Speaking” is holding steady in viewership ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, episode 9 of “Frankly Speaking” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 1.3 percent, seeing a small dip from its previous episode’s rating of 1.4 percent.

“Frankly Speaking” airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1664977wpp/frankly-speaking-ratings-remain-steady

21 hours ago, partyon said:

I like the chemistry between Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Hana, and guess what? I found out that they had worked together before back in 2013!

I did not know that. I watched Go Kyung Pyo in four dramas before this one. I thought I never saw Kang Hana in a drama but I watched two dramas where she was a supporting role (Miss Korea and Moon Lovers:Scarlet Heart Ryeo).

I like the chemistry between them. The roles fits them.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Here are the Ratings for Episode 10! :).

20240530234014_Kang-Han-Na-Go-Kyung-Pyo-

"Frankly Speaking" Heads Into Final Week On Its Lowest Ratings To Date

JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” is winding to a close next week.

On May 30, the romantic comedy fell to its lowest viewership ratings yet ahead of the final week of its run. According to Nielsen Korea, “Frankly Speaking” dipped to an average nationwide rating of 1.2 percent for its latest episode.

The final two episodes of “Frankly Speaking” will air on June 5 and 6 at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1665186wpp/frankly-speaking-heads-into-final-week-on-its-lowest-ratings-to-date

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Frankly Speaking: Episodes 9-10

by DaebakGrits

Our OTP continues to be the glue that holds this K-drama together, but — like duct tape keeping a bumper from falling off the front end of Toyota Camry — it ain’t pretty. There’s only so much a leading couple can do to salvage a rom-com that’s been watered down by excessive conflicts, one-dimensional supporting characters, erratic tonal changes, and gaping plot holes. But on the bright side, it’s almost over.

EPISODES 9-10

As suspected, Woo-joo rejected Jung-heon and admitted to him that she has feelings for Ki-baek. Jung-heon is disappointed by her admission, but he also seems to find closure upon hearing her words. Unfortunately, because he’s been running himself ragged since the filming of Couple’s Paradise wrapped up, he collapses from exhaustion. The embrace that I’d previously assumed was a pity hug was, in fact, his body going limp in Woo-joo’s arms.

She looks around desperately for help and spots a frowning Ki-baek in the distance. She calls him over, and with his help they take Jung-heon to a nearby hospital. Together they wait for Jung-heon to wake up after getting some IV fluids, and it’s clear that Ki-baek feels a little insecure as he watches Woo-joo fret over Jung-heon’s condition — her concern a remnant of the feelings she used to have for him. She may no longer feel a romantic love for Jung-heon, but that doesn’t mean she’s stopped caring for him. Now if only someone would just tell Ki-baek that so he stops looking so pitifully disappointed.

That someone is none other than Jung-heon himself. The man got rejected, passed out from exhaustion, was taken to a hospital, and was then chauffeured home by the very man who stole Woo-joo’s heart — and Jung-heon still stepped up to be a good guy. He could have easily played on Ki-baek’s insecurities to drive a wedge between our OTP, but instead he tells Ki-baek that he’s the one Woo-joo likes. To say Ki-baek is elated would be an understatement.

Ki-baek texts Woo-joo that he wants to see her so they can make their relationship official. Her response: I thought we were already a couple. Say what now? I’m with Ki-baek on this one because — aside from their recent kiss — she was definitely putting up walls to protect the reputation of Couple’s Paradise, and as far as I can tell, she never gave Ki-baek the go ahead to sneak past. But, you know, whatever we need to move the story along and get through — yet another — time skip. (Cue: a series of cutesy texts between Woo-joo and Ki-baek to mark the passage of time.)

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/05/frankly-speaking-episodes-9-10/

NEW EVENT!

Guess the K-Drama!

Hello future/ budding Sherlocks and Poirots!  :heythere:

Get ready to put on your thinking caps for we, the EO Team is back with a new event!  :yay:

Guess the K-dramas from their brief plot outlines and find out how well you know your K-dramas! Are you just one step away from being the next 'Walking K-Drama Encyclopedia! :coolshades:

re: Your friendly neighbourhood EO Team

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

Joo Jong Hyuk Breaks Away From His Celebrity Life In "Frankly Speaking"

Jun 04, 2024

JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” has shared new stills featuring Joo Jong Hyuk!

Spoilers

Previously, Kim Jung Heon, the beloved “national son-in-law” of mothers nationwide and a “national MC” whose presence guarantees program success, harbored hidden shadows. Despite his impressive background, Jung Heon achieved his status through his own efforts, unaided by his family. Yet, he remained unacknowledged by his judge father, and his past relationship with Woo Ju ended due to his lies.

Following that, Jung Heon made a determined ascent in the unpredictable entertainment industry to win back Woo Ju’s affection. Despite improved finances and circumstances, his efforts proved futile as Woo Ju had already moved on.

Dealing with heartbreak, Jung Heon realized his success felt fleeting. Constant scrutiny and fan encounters took a toll, especially when one fan tried to harm Woo Ju due to excessive admiration for him, leading him to contemplate retirement.

Newly released stills hint at Jung Heon’s vanishing act. Ma Mi Ra (Kim Young Ju), overseeing management, demands, “Where is Kim Jung Heon? Bring him here now!” while desperately searching for him. Meanwhile, still shots reveal Jung Heon’s whereabouts post-disappearance. Spotted in a serene neighborhood, he is enjoying ice cream to beat the heat and playing games with local kids outside a stationary shop, taking a break from his celebrity routine for a regular day. Whether he’s retiring or if his life, dimmed after Ki Baek and Woo Ju, can be reignited remains unknown. Expectations run high for Jung Heon’s concluding tale as he wrestles with belated growth pains.

joo-jong-hyuk-frankly-speaking.jpg

Spoiler

joo-jong-hyuk.jpg

frankly-speaking-joo-jong-hyuk.jpg

The next episode of “Frankly Speaking” will air on June 5 at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1665956wpp/joo-jong-hyuk-breaks-away-from-his-celebrity-life-in-frankly-speaking

Here are the Ratings for Episode 11! :).

20240606002546_Kang-Han-Na-Go-Kyung-Pyo-

"Frankly Speaking" Heads Into Finale On Ratings Rise

JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” enjoyed a slight boost in viewership ahead of its series finale!

On June 5, the romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Han Na saw a modest increase in viewership ratings for its penultimate episode.

With just one episode left to go, “Frankly Speaking” scored an average nationwide rating of 1.3 percent (according to Nielsen Korea), marking an 0.1 percent rise from last Thursday.

The final episode of “Frankly Speaking” will air on June 6 at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1666385wpp/frankly-speaking-heads-into-finale-on-ratings-rise

Spoiler

20240606044835_Go-Kyung-Pyo-Kang-Han-Na-

"Frankly Speaking" Stars Say Goodbye + Thank Viewers Ahead Of Tonight's Finale

The stars of JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” have shared their thoughts ahead of tonight’s series finale!

“Frankly Speaking” is a romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo as Song Ki Baek, a rising news anchor who lives strictly by the rules and has worked hard to build up a clean image. However, Song Ki Baek’s life takes a (literally) shocking turn when he is electrocuted in an accident, leading him to develop a strange condition that prevents him from lying.

With just one episode left to go in the drama’s run, Go Kyung Pyo expressed his gratitude to viewers by saying, “I want to sincerely thank everyone who tuned in and gave love to ‘Frankly Speaking.’”

He warmly added, “I hope that you’ll all be strong-hearted and that your lives will be full of joy, health, and happiness.”

Go-Kyung-Pyo.jpg

Meanwhile, Kang Han Na remarked, “I’m happy because I think ‘Frankly Speaking,’ which I put all my heart and soul into filming during the hottest season of last year, was able to warm the viewers’ hearts. I think it will remain with me as a drama that makes me happy.”

Kang-Han-Na.jpg

Finally, Joo Jong Hyuk commented, “We’re already at the final episode of ‘Frankly Speaking,’ which is so cute and fun. In a way, this drama was filled with many different new challenges for me, from singing and choreography to acting out a sentimental character longing for an ex-girlfriend. Because of that, I think it will remain in my memory as a drama that I will go back to watch again in the future.”

He went on to add, “Thank you to the viewers who related to Jung Heon and said that he was entertaining.”

Joo-Jong-Hyuk-1.jpg

The final episode of “Frankly Speaking” will air on June 6 at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1666412wpp/frankly-speaking-stars-say-goodbye-thank-viewers-ahead-of-tonights-finale

Here are the Ratings for Episode 12 Last Episode*! :).

20240607000521_Frankly-Speaking-2.jpg?s=

"Frankly Speaking" Ends On Quiet Ratings

JTBC’s “Frankly Speaking” came to a quiet end last night.

On June 6, viewership ratings for the fantasy starring Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Han Na held relatively steady for its series finale.

According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “Frankly Speaking” scored an average nationwide rating of 1.1 percent, marking a slight dip from its previous episode the night prior.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1666559wpp/frankly-speaking-ends-on-quiet-ratings

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2024] Frankly Speaking/No Secret, 비밀은 없어

Frankly Speaking: Episodes 11-12 (Final)

by DaebakGrits

This just in: rom-com K-drama about a news anchor and a variety show writer ends its 12-episode run on a whimper. It’s not an awful drama, but — much like the Truck of Doom careening towards our hero’s family at the end of last week’s episodes — it should have picked a lane and stuck with it. Our story has been consistently inconsistent, but at least our finale has delivered on its rom-com promise of a happy ending.

EPISODES 11-12

The tense final moments of last week’s episodes are further exaggerated in our finale’s opening scenes, as we follow Ki-baek’s mother in the hours leading up to the car accident. The whole montage feels emotionally manipulative, like a Hallmark commercial trying to boost card and porcelain figurine sales before Mother’s Day, and even though there is no actual PPL to be seen, the vibe is morbid and very “show your mother you love her… before she dies.” So, for those of you thinking the screeching breaks and flashing headlights were a fake-out, sorry. Ki-baek’s family was very much hit by a dreaded Truck of Doom.

Ki-baek’s father and brothers walk away from the accident mostly unscathed, but because Mom intentionally turned the wheel so she would take the brunt of the impact, she’s currently in a coma. The doctor solemnly warns Ki-baek that he should be prepared for the worst, but Ki-baek assures his family that Mom will be fine — but wait! That’s a lie, and last we saw Ki-baek, his truth-telling was stuck in the “on” position. So unless there’s some sort of loophole that lets him lie if he believes — or really, really wants — something to be true in his heart, then it looks like his switch has malfunctioned yet again. The how is yet to be determined, though.

Our story settles into a bit of a lull while Ki-baek steps up to be the backbone of his family. With his father still in shock and neither of his brothers possessing a go-getter attitude that brings home the bacon, Ki-baek starts taking on as many variety show gigs as possible in order to pay Mom’s medical bills and keep the family afloat. He even asks for an advance on his next gig, and says nothing when his agent discreetly pulls a news anchor position from his pile of job offers.

It’s clear that Ki-baek is unhappy. Oh, he puts on a smile and tells Woo-joo “everything’s fine,” but it’s totally not. And even though Woo-joo is under the impression that Ki-baek is still stuck in truth-telling mode, she senses something is wrong. His smile doesn’t feel genuine, and logic and experience have taught her that most people in his shoes would absolutely not be “fine” in his situation.

Before Woo-joo can comfort Ki-baek and help him through his suppressed emotions, though, she has to resolve her own issues with her birth mother. At Bok-ja’s encouragement, Woo-joo stops dragging her feet and calls Birth Mom. They meet up at a park, and Birth Mom explains that she’d come looking for Woo-joo a few years after leaving her at the orphanage, but after discovering that she’d been adopted, Birth Mom had simply watched her grow from afar. She never explicitly states why she abandoned Woo-joo in the first place, but we can infer from the scar on her hand that maybe Woo-joo’s father or step-father was abusive. If that’s the case, though, it seems like Birth Mom’s abuser is no longer in her life because Birth Mom chose this point in time to reconnect with Woo-joo because she is moving overseas with her son and his family.

Woo-joo barely reacts to Birth Mom’s story — or the news that she has a brother. Instead she listens calmly, and when Birth Mom is finished, Woo-joo thanks her. If Birth Mom hadn’t abandoned her, then Woo-joo would have never met Bok-ja and become the person she is today. On some level, I can understand Woo-joo’s optimistic perspective on the situation — she’s had a lot of time to come to peace with being abandoned — but at the same time, the resolution feels too simple. Was the only lingering feeling Woo-joo felt for her mother really just a faint, unresolved sense of missing her birth mother? Or are the writers being lazy because, well, they literally ain’t got time for that?

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/06/frankly-speaking-episodes-11-12-final/