[Drama 2021] Red Shoes, 빨강 구두

Lmangla

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

and it took for him to murder Gemma for her to speak up. She spoke to him but still refused to speak up. I was so mad and kept hoping she would speak up and stop him but the green eye monster reared his ugly head .

Let's not forget the only reason she did speak up was JH confronted her that he knew the truth. She thought it was her own dirty little secret and only fessed up because she was afraid of what KHS would do if he found out he killed his own biological daughter and there was no way he would not have found it out at that point Then she went back to sucking on the wine bottle.

The thing I will never get over is the child abandonment. It is really a hot button issue with me. Let's face it the only reason she didn't leave the wife beater earlier with the children was because she didn't want to have to provide and care for them by herself.

@S00mp1an

Excellent post! X1000 You summed all of my thoughts exactly! Well done!

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

I love these recent posts....keep them coming Chingus :approves:

The sub for Ep 97 is messed up....lolz.....but I think I roughly know the storyline. Meanwhile in Ep 98, loanshark grandma is withdrawing her investment in Lora?? She is bent on taking revenge now....

Gemma woke up and realized that the person who donated the blood to save her was the same guy who caused her to end up there...what an irony....and KHS is her daddy!

2 more eps.....70 more mins left and still plenty to tie up.

• Like 6

Hmm...  interesting insights here.  Regarding Episode 97, probably the only recent comment I agree with is the quality of actors in the daily dramas, which is why they are my favorite.  Other than that, here's what I don't get...  we still have seen no evidence that Kim raped Min other than her assertions that it happened.  Min said in Ep. 97 that Kim told her Gemma's blood type was B, meaning Kim knew Gemma was not his child.  I saw no evidence of Kim abusing Gemma as a child.  We also saw Kim abusing Min after he was aware she was involved again with Kwon.  As I previously said, what man would not be jealous of that situation and after raising Kwon's child.  Also as I said, while jealousy was no reason to raise his hand to Min, I've stopped counting the number of times Min slapped, pushed and threw things at Gemma, Secretary, Housekeeper, JH aka real Lora owner.  I've lost count of the number of times Kwon slapped, pushed and poked Min; Kwon pushed Gemma and Uncle, Kwon punched JH.  I think it was two or three times Grandma threw things at Gemma.  Min slapped Playboy once; Kwon punched him once.  The brothers threw punches at each other a couple of times.  Then HB tries to kill Gemma twice and Min tries to kill her once and Kwon tries to kill her thrice.  Kwon actually does kill or facilitate the deaths of Kim, Step Mom and the Prisoner.  Not to be outdone, Min after being an accessory to murder in the death of Kim, tries to kill her own daughter and, after failing, tries to use Kwon to murder HER OWN DAUGHTER.  Their greed has made these people sick and no amount of "I love you but I loathe you" can change that.  That nonsense fails even as an excuse to a sane person.  What?  I love you but I loathe you allows me to cheat on my spouse, run over my spouse, abandon my children, pay off witnesses to my crimes, steal Lora from its rightful owner, evict JH from his family home and his native country, bribe politicians, steal the intellectual property of unknown shoe designers, plot to murder or actually murder my rivals and witnesses to my bad deeds.  Min will allow Kwon to murder her daughter but she won't allow him to murder his daughter.  In what world is that moral.  Kwon has no compunction about murdering other people but when he finds out he's about to murder his own daughter, the tears and remorse flow and I'm supposed to feel sympathy for him?  I'm supposed to listen to this "I love you but I loathe you" and forget about all the criminal actions these two have done, the people they've stepped on, the bodies they've buried, the families and lives they've destroyed throughout this drama and, what?    See them as Romeo and Juliet?  The moral of this story is what?  It's okay to abuse, steal, step on and murder other people's kids but not your own?  Does any sane person agree with this?  Would you want Min or Kwon to be your boss or your child's boss?  JH was running around Episode 97 like a chicken without a head trying to convince Min to call Kwon off.  How can someone who can't call the cops to stop a murder run a company as big as Lora supposedly is.  The only people in this drama with sense and deserving of praise, in my opinion, are the Secretary and her father.  I see nothing, absolutely nothing, redeeming about these people and Episode 97 didn't make me warm up to them, it ticked me off that Writer-nim thinks I'm so dull as to empathize with them as if the previous 96 episodes never happened.   I think the problem is the 100 episode limit.  Writer-nim doesn't have an addition 20 episodes to develop a "just" ending which deals with the bad deeds of all these people so is going for the "all is forgiven" ending that unifies this family but in that scenario, the bad guys win, win, win big and the bodies still stay buried, the poor families are still separated forever, the intellectual property of unknown designers is still stolen and none of these people learn the lesson that Min and Step Mom put their shoes on the same way every day.  Just because Min's shoes cost more than Step Mom's shoes doesn't mean she's a better person.  Step Mom valued Gemma more than her shoes; Min valued her shoes more than her children.  That means, in my book, Step Mom is a far better, far wiser, far nobler and far wealthier person than Min ever was.  CP

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

This whole white washing of KHS and MHK and blaming Gemma is starting to turn my stomach. Need I list out the disgusting actions of both of these pieces of scum?

would disagree with you a bit. so white washing is when these moron characters get a kumbaya happy ending. in this case, there is no kumbaya ending for hee kyung or chairman. the chickens have come to roost and they are going to pay and have already started paying in many ways. the question is why. like I mentioned in my other post, the writer seems to be going for anime style complexity villain where there is lot of nuances and questions. while you disagree with their actions, you see them as human, even if terrible. I would say that the writing has not been strong enough to pull off such complexity even if the actors have been pulling everything they got to throw at the screen. we are also getting a variety of perspectives on the same situation and there seems to be different versions of truths depending on the person. again, the writing has not been strong enough in many places to pull this off.

so nuances don't necessarily mean white washing, it simply is complex human anti-hero/villain as opposed to a pure dark villain which is easier to hate. actually most of the characters including gemma do some rather questionable acts. even loan grandma abandoned her so called precious son and didn't really think of him for decades. 

an example of where this kind of layaered nuances was done well in acting and writing was in "good detective".  now, if we end up with a stupid family photo (like it happens in many dramas) where all of them are smiling and sitting on the table and eating together -- then yes, lets get our swords and knives out. hahahahaha. :lol: 

however, there are glimpses of some interesting themes and questions the writer was trying to explore. mostly it has to do with ambition vs love and what happens when people try to have both while giving more attention to ambition. bunch of cold ruthless people.

3 hours ago, S00mp1an said:

Gemma has done a lot of wrong but the difference is that Gemma knows what she has done wrong.  And Gemma has not gone over to the dark side that she does not feel guilty about it.  

welcome to soompi! wish I could see your perspective but so far gemma has annoyed me with her crying that even her sorry has come across as superbly fake. she is not sorry that she hurt people but just that she is a terrible person for breaking rules. so it becomes about herself yet again -- and that just makes me eye roll. am keeping my fingers crossed for a dark ending like montecristo where they all burn down, including gemma. 

no kumbaya ending for anyone including ki seok -- his crime is making fried chicken which we hardly got to see -- the utter travesty! ^_^ also, for not having any self-respect when someone keeps dumping you. move on, move on! 

it also struck me that I have seen both chairman and hee kyung in another drama "hateful once again" where they were crazy for each other in a toxic way and she kept going on about her lost love (the chairman) for some 30 years. and she was cold and ruthless there as well. this seems to be the type of drama these two like to act in? hahahaha....

MXddJc.jpg?v=1  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I dislike the character of Hee Kyung the most. She was an abused wife and a consequence of being abused is to become an abuser herself and engage in abusive relationships such as she has with Kwon. The children seem to have never witnessed the abuse of the mother but saw the wounds which HK explained was from falling. HK at one time may have cared for her children and protected them from the knowledge of their father’s abuse. The night she ran away, she was kicked out of the house by her drunken husband, and she knocked on the door of the house crying and calling for Jin-Ah for a long time. It was raining and she was soaked, she walked until she found a phone booth and called Kwon who then came and took her home after the hit and run of Hee Kyung’s husband. Once HK was safely with Kwon, she decided to abandon her children even when she knew her husband was dead. At one time, Hee Kyung looked for her children and found them at the shoe shop where little Jin Ah was holding a box of tools of her father and her little brother was hanging on to her crying. HK just saw the children but did not let them see her and then she sneaked out and determinedly abandoned them. Little Jin Ah then went home to find coffee aunt and coffee mom cleaning out the house at her parents’ room and talking about her mother running away with another man and Jin Ah heard that. Imagine the psychological consequences on a child losing both parents, one from an accident and another from abandonment at the same time. The negative outcomes would be risks for long term emotional and mental health issues, anxiety, sadness, anger, rage, guilt, confusion. On top of that she had to grow up fast to be the parent to the younger brother. It was good of coffee mom and her family to adopt them, but it seems Jin Ah who later changed her name to Gemma never got the emotional/psychological counseling and help she needed. Her anger was compounded by HK’s refusal to listen to Gemma’s plea for HK to grant her dying son’s wish to see his mother before he died. HK never wanted nor cared to resolve the problem that exists between herself and her daughter instead she wanted her daughter to disappear and denied the explanation or the relationship her daughter sought for. She and her brother were adopted by coffee mom but that did not resolve the problem and the ache of abandonment by a parent whom she once thought of as loving mom. She may even feel that it was her fault. That explains her way of relating to her mother. She says she wanted revenge but what she wanted most was her mother to clear her doubts, and explanation. She also knew of her mother as loving when she was a child, so it makes her angry to see her doting on Hye Bin while hating her for no reason. She could have ruined her mother so fast just by revealing their relationship but if she did that would end of their relationship and she has not gotten the explanation she wanted, or the acknowledgement that she sought for. So, it is not unusual for Gemma to do the most annoying and stupidest things she calls revenge because she has never grown out of that childhood abandonment simultaneously from both parents one from death and one from abandonment. Even abandoned adults (for example abandonment of a lover, friend or a spouse) will do the stupidest things, even those who think only other people but not them ie: idiotic: Hee Kyung). For one thing, Hee Kyung is still protecting Gemma from the knowledge that her "father" (Kim) was an abusive man just like she did when her children were very young. She probably knows that will destroy the emotionally fragile Gemma. That is the love and hate relationship of HK with her daughter Gemma. So, both characters are necessary to each other. It is their story.  

As for the rape, it was alluded to much later (at one of the 80’s episodes) by HK when she and Kwon were as usual arguing. HK accused Kwon of killing her husband and Kwon answered that HK benefited from it as she became the head of Lora and Kwon in return accused HK of killing his wife and HK did not deny it, instead pointed out that Kwon benefited from his wife’s death when he took the company and exiled his first wife’s son abroad. Kwon got mad and pushed HK who fell and sat on the floor. HK then cried and said the same thing she says over and over that makes Kwon feel guilty... she accused Kwon of abandoning her and then said she could not stand the thought of “that man molesting her” and Kwon as usual softened. HK always knows how to win the argument, make Kwon feel guilty. So, was she really alluding to a rape or was just one of her ways to make her husband responsible for what she had become, a liar, a cheat, an embezzler and greedy hustler. She only lasted as the company’s head because she was supported by her husband and grandma’s money. Businesswoman she is not. There are many women in the world who are heads of companies because they are good at what they do. HK is good at being a bad businesswoman and a bad human being.  

Did Gemma hurt the Kwon family??? They hurt themselves more than Gemma ever did, and Gemma hurt herself by being embroiled with them. For one thing, HK still cares for the child she knew as Jin Ah and even though she is angry and afraid of Gemma, she still protects her from the knowledge of her father’s abuse. There is still a love between the hate that HK and Gemma are engaged in. I think that HK suspects that if Gemma will know of her father’s abuse that she will be destroyed emotionally, and in kind if Gemma earlier had revealed to the world her relationship to HK, that mom’s reputation will be destroyed. The difference is, Gemma is more emotionally fragile or was, because HK right now looks more fragile as she is destroying herself with alcohol.  

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

3 hours ago, lila21 said:

It is a very big deal and is the main issue of the drama

great summary @lila21 ; yea abandonment seems to be the main issue and we have 3 sets of parents who have done it. 

1. hee kyung abandons the kids 

2. loan grandma abandons shoe dad 

3. chairman abandons / exiles ju hyung as well as hee kyung's kids

so we should expect a tragic ending for all 3 parental figures. 

• Like 4

I think tonight is the night for flames and fireworks. Ep 100 is usually the time leap episode.

Mr Kwon went to the police station Will he enter the station or chicken out?

I hope there is something to remember by. I am bad at remembering their names.

Just hoping it's not so tame that I remember it as the ML and his chickens. :)

• LOL 4

As for the ending, (my prediction) both HK and Kwon end up in prison.  

JH knowing Gemma’s parenthood now considers Gemma as her stepsister just like HB. He will take the responsibility to care for both sisters healing as well as his in a family group therapy. He will be the loving Hyung to reconcile the family or what is left of it. Gemma will resign as the CEO as there is no longer need for her revenge and concentrate on learning to become the best in her art, designing. Hyung JH will send her to Italy to study where she meets some hot Italian guy who will be crazy in love with her. JH realizes and accepts that KS and Gemma were over long ago. Hye Bin reconciles with Gemma as she gets the treatment she needs. She also goes back to work while going back to business school to complete her degree. She lets go of her obsession of HS as she recognized that was her problem in the first place. She starts work from the bottom as hyung detests nepotism and has to prove herself. For the brothers they will let go of the past as well. KS will concentrate on his chicken business and HS roams the world engaging in his work. Grandma dies full of regret and donates her wealth to foundations and charities supporting abandoned children.  

As for Gemma and HK, Gemma visits mama who will apologize as she calls her daughter Jin Ah and Gemma will say Omma 3 times.  Gemma and Kwon, I think Kwon decides to protect Gemma from more pain by keeping silent about her paternity. That is how he becomes a father to Gemma.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

1.  Will the Chairman really turn himself to the police or commit suicide?

2.  I think Gemma will take charge of the company since JH said he's just want to know who killed his mom and grandmother and having only 2 episodes left will they reveal it?

3.  There will be no bearing for the loan shark granny to know that Gemma's real father is the chairman and not his son and that would be a good news for her grandson.

51 minutes ago, lila21 said:

As for Gemma and HK, Gemma visits mama who will apologize as she calls her daughter Jin Ah and Gemma will say Omma 3 times.  Gemma and Kwon, I think Kwon decides to protect Gemma from more pain by keeping silent about her paternity. That is how he becomes a father to Gemma.  

I like this. 3 times omma.

But why would she go to see ex CEO HK?

But I feel the writer will kill off one of them at least. Just seeing coffee mum being killed, I think he likes going to the bitter end. I believe HK would reveal Gemma's paternity in her panic to save her husband.

• Like 2

@lila21 - I like your summary of events :) Perfectly describe the scenarios!

2 hours ago, Good Karma said:

1.  Will the Chairman really turn himself to the police or commit suicide?

2.  I think Gemma will take charge of the company since JH said he's just want to know who killed his mom and grandmother and having only 2 episodes left will they reveal it?

3.  There will be no bearing for the loan shark granny to know that Gemma's real father is the chairman and not his son and that would be a good news for her grandson.

1. Yes, KHS will turn himself in today (based on the preview). But wait a minute, now MHK realised that she cannot let her yeobo surrender himself. She calls up Assemblyman Son (whats up with this guy anyway??) and asks if there's any ship to smuggle her yeobo out of Korea :surprisedwut: She is the unrepentant

2. JH will continue serving as Co-CEO and JH will be elevated as Chairman. Indeed, that plot-line involving "who-dun-it" has yet to be revealed.

3. Will loanshark granny be angry at Gemma again? 

Today and first 10 mins of tomorrow could be explosive, while the last 20-25 mins of Ep 100 will be to tie things down.

• Like 1

It's ridic that someone like kwon hyuksang decides 'enough is enough' after realizing that Gemma is his daughter. After all they been through, the back-stabbing, the hitmen - he accepts defeat and leaves all his assets behind to the fam and the wife he's been blaming (+ abusing) for the past year?

It's also so funny how the only family picture sitting on his ceo desk is everyone+ imaginary Gemma sans his juhyung, his only son.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

preview: looks like gemma is told that chairman is her dad? and aunt finds the diary, so ju hyung is finally going to get some resolution.

and what is ki seok doing? face palm! face palm! face palm! please stop -- this isn't healthy or even remotely romantic where someone dumps you over and over  and you don't move on. and you are not some consolation prize for her messed up life.  

:facepalm:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

Epreview: looks like gemma is told that chairman is her dad? and aunt finds the diary, so ju hyung is finally going to get some resolution.

and what is ki seok doing? face palm! face palm! face palm! please stop -- this isn't healthy or even remotely romantic where someone dumps you over and over  and you don't move on. and you are not some consolation prize for her messed up life.  

Is that chicken guy still asking her to marry him? :Megalol:
90% of the time, these dailies are entertaining, even though I have wished the FL dead. 

Good on you if anyone could see the moral of the story and admire the characters or learn some lesson. Me? It is really entertaining overall and I get to chat with kdrama enthusiasts.

There is no fireworks. The paroxysms of tears disease has touched HK because Gemma is in the hospital getting fixed. The chicken man gets to thump the table 3 times. 
I am still holding out for the 3 ommas - right to the bitter end. :hwaiting2:

I don't expect anything much tomorrow, at least closure for JH is good. I am guessing HK had nothing to do with their deaths, she was trying to heal them, poor misunderstood HK. :loolz:

• LOL 3

33 minutes ago, Newbie21SG said:

What is going to happen to MHK?

The episode ended with her back in her CEO room.....what is she planning to do? :rubchin:

Is she gonna commit suicide?

I think we are being set up for a final confrontation between her and Gemma. Then time jump and kumbayah.

• Like 3