[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

Okay, that (ep 9) was a wild ride. 

There was a certain degree of make-it-up-as-you-go-along

Spoiler

(ie did you know, Jin Mu embedded his own escape hatch ages ago? And we are conveniently suddenly discovering it now. Also, that was ew.) But then again...did we really think the big baddie would be gone and leave a whole episode after him? The story is over when the villain is defeated--otherwise the story isn't over. 

The queen met the only end she was headed for, though. Stupid, vain woman! How did you think things would end if you followed that path? The stupid king is also headed for an unfortunate ending. How they produced a son as awesome as Gowon, I'll never know. Must be some kind of genetic mutation.

The ending of this episode was also a bit...I don't know how to react, because I don't know what's going on. Ep 10 will start with a flashback to explain, but right now the last 5 minutes are sort of a patchwork collage of scenes with no explanation of how they fit together. 

But I'm glad to see that Master Lee and I are thinking along the same lines for once.

Spoiler

I have wondered for a long time if Buyeon's soul was actually Jin Seol Ran. The parallels have been too strong. So it sounds like she stored her soul in the ice stone? Did I get that right? So when Jang Gang used the ice stone to bring the dead Buyeon back to life--it was with Seol Ran's soul? Weird question--did all of her soul then stay in Buyeon's body? Is any of it in the ice stone? Master Lee thinks she chose both Naksu AND Uk for her plan. So her soul has some kind of connection with both Naksu (she sucked Naksu's soul into her body) and Uk (he now has the ice stone in his). Well, I guess her soul isn't in him, but there is still a kind of connection, with Seol Ran somehow animating all of them. 

I keep hoping for some kind of loophole to pull out a happy ending, but right now it seems that they will have to eliminate each other in order to bring balance. I remember the last Hong Sisters drama I watched, it kept underlining the demise of the female lead, and I was like, no, there will be some kind of twist at the end. Or at least something unexpected? And...there wasn't. The end. (It still had an open ended feeling that someday everyone would be reborn and meet up again. But ugh. Open endings...) I am preparing myself for a sad ending. If so, please die at the same time so one isn't left alone and in pain the rest of their life. And please be reborn in a more peaceful setting quickly! 

Then again...Buyeon has this plan, see...so whatever it is, I sure hope she can do something nice for these people she's been sharing power and a body with (and using to fulfill her purposes).

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

:lol: I came here to rant the same!

Stupid Queen, stupid uncle... went into the Guido without thinking whether or not they can get out. Greed is real. And indeed, they didn't come out alive.

Dumb King, Dumb Unanimous Assembly men... they think the one with great power will gladly hand over power to them? LOL

I just knew it, that it's too early for JM's exit. But gosh, I don't like seeing the three coffins up there. And yeah, I also have a guess who are inside :bawling: .... but, since this is about AoS, maybe we can have hope of souls returning? How am I going to sleep tonight... 

I do have to say that ep.9 feels rushed. Some awkward editing too... Sigh.... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 2

MDL listed this actress with no character name, only saying it's support role. I'm guessing she will be Jin Seol Ran? If she really appears, and that all these while, JBY is actually JSR, I think she will leave the body and let Naksu occupy it. (It's the actress Moon Suk, who is Wigen from The Uncanny Counter) 

Qy8Nv_5c.jpg

Gosh, why do they have to give us the short previews of what's going to happen in next episode at the end of ep.9? I don't feel like watching anymore now that there's a possibility that the 3 seniors are dead. (a possibility, because they can be brought back to life with the ice stone or JBY, I don't know...) This is just like Harry Potters, I stopped caring to read or watch when Dumbledore died. 

• Thanks 6
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, andy78 said:

i wonder too...will she be back for a last fight?

If this isn't a flashback ( and I REALLY hope its not ) then the Bu Yeon/ Naksu situation must have been somehow resolved and she's regained her powers as Naksu - Here's hoping

40 minutes ago, Yinye said:

I also felt the pacing of ep 9 was off (too many flashback and time skip?)

I'd also add that certain scenes were just plain meh that should've/could've been great.

Spoiler

- The Princes defection to Jang Uk was the turtle? Really? ... if he had led with it as a joke, then went real in the moment okay, but I'm sorry, the tipping point being the turtle?  (yes, yes i know the spirit of the black tortoise, and all that ... it still came off weak.) 

- Jang Uk/Naksu spent too much of this episode attempting to travel the road of noble idiocy. Yes, they still have alot to face, and an uncertain future, but they wasted too much time (yes, even in the span of 1 episode when we've been waiting 9 episodes to get back here) ... and while I'm happy they reunited, that exchange at the tree was just poorly written - JMHO

22 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I don't feel like watching anymore now that there's a possibility that the 3 seniors are dead.

Spoiler

I really wished at that point that I hadn't paid so much attention - but 2 of the banners over the coffins are Jin & Songrim

If they killed Park Jin & Maidservant Kim :rage: ... first off HOW?!  Park Jin may have been slow in matters of love, but he owned everyone he came up against magically including Naksu.  I'm assuming the other is Mama Jin.

Sorry guys, even if our mains get a happy ending, if the Hong Sisters killed off Park Jin & Maidservant Kim, often the only bright spot in this drama, then Noona @partyon take your victory lap, you were right ... another train wreck.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

53 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Buyeon has this plan

seems she never existed in the first place...she was dead...she was Seol ran ...Is not her body...i hope she will go back or be sent back by UK into the ice stone and have his beloved wife back...or who know...we watched how the ep 9 ended they kissed again and this time, i bet  they won't stop ...maybe there will be a child for Seol Ran/Buyeon to go in ...

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

12 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

Naksu eye hypnotizing is real 

the eye kiss was so sweet...he kissed her soul ...CHO YEONG...

1 minute ago, Ameera Ali said:

this episode making reborn rich all normal 

i loved 1-15 ep of that drama ...i hated the end ...hope does not happen here

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

@LeftCoastOppa The other banner is Jang's family. I share the same feelings regarding below 

Spoiler
8 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Sorry guys, even if our mains get a happy ending, if the Hong Sisters killed off Park Jin & Maidservant Kim, often the only bright spot in this drama, then Noona @partyon take your victory lap, you were right ... another train wreck.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Blob 1

One more episode and all of you are still guessing who or what the BY/Naksu conundrum is? :idk:

I hope someone will recap tomorrow's final although with soul shifting, flashbacks, fightings etc. viewers may need a leap of faith to accept the ending.

I'm expecting the same 70% high disappointment as in Reborn rich. 

The Tonight Show Pain GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Don't hit, I am gone.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Another random thought: under the tree in ep 8, Buyeon told Naksu that "because of you, I did not run wild," or something like that. Thus underscoring the fact that Buyeon was a soul shifter all along (her soul is Seol Ran as I understand it, as the baby originally died). So "Buyeon" kept Naksu from running wild and Naksu kept "Buyeon" from running wild? 

Then I think, wow, Buyeon/Seol Ran spent a lot of time without going wild. But then I think of how she was after the accident, when she ended up in Sari village. Maybe she had amnesia then. And since she didn't know who she was, there was no clash between soul and body? But maybe she worked it out, and then she was in danger of going wild? So she senses Naksu's power and sucks her in, thus effectively keeping both of them safe? 

Er...maybe I am thinking too much, lol. Anyway, we are about to have a showdown in the present that exactly echoes the past. Hopefully it is completely resolved this time, and everyone can have peace (and please, please let our leads be happy in the end!)

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

This is not about being right or wrong, namdongsaeng.... The Hong sisters have given us good endings too!

Now that I think about it, that was like 10 years ago....

Nervous Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

In any case, what a crappy episode. :unamused: Jin Mu almost died, and then he survived - in a hotter body. I was like:

Joey Tribbiani Flirt GIF

When he came back with a full makeover. :joy:

The turtle and Crown Prince ship sailing was the best part of this episode! :fullofhearts:

As for all the noble idiocy, I have one gif for it:

Violin Player GIF

• LOL 5